What's Next for You Wizard?

ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 13 in Brilliant Events #1 latest comment 21 November, 2019, 01:28 am.

Ok! We are just over an hour away from Back to Hogwarts - Part 1 and I am pumped. If you're like me, you've already calculated how many green books you need from how many events to fill your skill tree the way you want. I have plans for the next 4-6 events!

I want to know what you have lined up for the green books you will be acquiring over this event. For me, I am firmly committed to training 'Strength in Numbers' with all 15 skill books from the first part of this event. This will give me a much needed boost to Power as I tackle Forest chambers. I'm also eyeing 'Team Work Makes the Dream Work' for part 2 of Back to Hogwarts though I'm not as firm on this one yet. So, what's next for you Wizard?

Comments

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #213 August, 2019, 06:50 pm.

I’m eyeing my proficiency charm for this event. I haven’t looked at other sources to see what’s needed, just know I need two more books to start buffing it up. Basically looking at the bottom right of my tree. Then I’ll be looking at my hex (love that hex), I’m at the mastery lesson. Then I’ll be heading back up to the strength in numbers and teamwork makes the dreamwork.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭
    #314 August, 2019, 06:43 am.

I don't know what to do with them. I can either save them up and see how many I can collect or put them in a 2nd profession.

• WhitehorsemattWhitehorsematt Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    #414 August, 2019, 11:04 am.

Maxing my hexes with the first week, then Playing Dirty next week.

Scrolls dropping like flies so far, which is fantasic, or maybe even brilliant.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #514 August, 2019, 05:18 pm.

I’ve been going with a balanced approach for the last few events. Finally maxed out my deterioration hex, and bumped up my proficiency and protection charms a bit.

• bonzorkbonzork Posts: 13 ✭✭
    #614 August, 2019, 05:25 pm.

I'm saving up for First Strike...since I have dancing with dummies already. I burned some green books right before community day to improve my confusion hex, but this event will still give me enough greens for First Strike

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    #723 October, 2019, 01:13 pm.

@ZookiTabooki Quick question for you regarding ‘Strength in numbers’ if you could help please?

Does it work when you place the defensive charm on yourself? The ‘when enhanced by a teammate’ confused me with the Mending Charm a while back.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    #824 October, 2019, 12:14 am.

@Dewin99 the short answer is "yes".

The slightly longer answer is that "enhancements" include you casting your protection or proficiency charm on yourself, a magizooligist casting bravery charm on you, or you having a brain elixir or trace tonic active.

#924 October, 2019, 05:27 am.

Thanks @MtPollux That being the case, would you suggest getting the ‘Teamwork makes the dream work’ next?

Do exstimulo potions count as enhancements too?

#1024 October, 2019, 05:56 am.

@Dewin99 I'm working towards that lesson right now. I'm looking forward to the power boost during my battles.

I don't know about exstimulo potions, I've never thought to check to see if it triggered the extra power. I'll have to try it and see.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1129 October, 2019, 08:44 pm.

@Dewin99 my apologies for not replying sooner, I’ve been away from the forum the last few weeks and I have much catching up to do.

The primary strength for Professors is the ability to work with two enhancements simultaneously. The current skill tree is setup with this in mind. Forget the mending charm. The Protection Charm and Proficiency Charm are the two spells you cast on yourself which in turn activate all the power and defence bonuses when in combat. First I trained Confidence for the Focus then I trained Strength in Numbers and Team Work makes the Dream Work to get it out of the way; power is a weakness for Professors so worth dealing with up front. Then I max trained the Protection Charm followed by Team Teaching. This put me in a nice position to handle Forest Chamber 5 with no. 5 runestones quite handily. Proficiency Charm also allows you to share bonuses with teammates but truly the primary role for this charm if you solo a lot is for the bonuses two enhancements provides in combat, especially at the higher chambers. Oh, I don’t believe exstimulo potions count as enhancements in the fortress nor the tonic. I think Baruffio’s may be an exception but otherwise when it comes to enhancements and impairments, its all charms and hexes. 😀

@MtPollux 👍

#1229 October, 2019, 09:20 pm.

Thanks for taking the time to respond @ZookiTabooki @MtPollux

Would you therefore agree that with a starting +4 focus, that the best course of action would be to use Baruffio & Protection charm in order to get 2 enhancements; coupled with Deterioration hex for +1 impairment?

I can only solo fortresses as there’s nobody else to team up with unfortunately.

I don’t see much point in wasting Strong Invigoration Potions for the (+7) Proficiency Charm. It will only work with Pixies & Werewolves, both of whom I can batter comfortably most of the time.

I mainly do Fortress V / Forest I as I don’t have to use any potions at all.

Can I ask which fortress levels you find optimal for challenge XP please?

Thanks in advance.

edited October 29 #1329 October, 2019, 10:03 pm.

@Dewin99 initially I didn’t know Baruffio’s would count as an enhancement, which imho gives it a good deal more value than I gave it otherwise. I am more inclined to stick to invigorating potions since they are faster to brew though I can definitely understand the value of going with Baruffio’s as an enhancement. Good question on Fortress levels for optimal XP; Ruins5, Tower5 and Fortess5. No question about it. Save your best runestones for these chambers. I’m sure Dark5 will be good too, I’m not quite there yet.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    #1429 October, 2019, 10:12 pm.

@ZookiTabooki Can I ask why all the “level 5’s” of each fortress? In other words wouldn’t tower 3 be better than ruins 5? Or am I misunderstanding your response?

#1530 October, 2019, 12:24 am.

@MrSciGuy It’s relative. Of course higher chambers provide more Challenge XP, but not by much from one to the next. ‘Optimal’ being the operative word here, it’s not just about the battles but managing available resources (namely potions, energy and time) in a way that provides the best bang for our efforts; and doing so consistently. Another reason to focus on these chambers are the fragment rewards. Many fragments overlap the 3 chamber types currently available; Ruins, Tower and Dark. Not only have I found that 5s give me the best spread of access to challenge fragments, I’ve also noticed a higher likelihood of getting rare secondary family fragments as part of the reward. This is just one perspective based on my experience, and I should add I only use no. 4/5 runestone for these chambers which surely has some influence on the outcome. 😀

#1630 October, 2019, 12:50 am.

@ZookiTabooki ok that does make sense. I was just thinking anything above ruins 5 has to be better, but you’re saying in general the “5’s” tend to give you better rewards at a wider variety more often as opposed to say a level 3 or 4 for approximately the same challenge xp.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭
    #1730 October, 2019, 02:21 am.

certainly in terms of challenge xp, it is the higher, the better

qualitatively, i think the odds of getting any exploration registry fragment matching the family of your runestone will also follow the higher, the better ... but the exact exploration fragment available may very well depend on the specific chamber level

• HartomHartom Posts: 2
    #1813 November, 2019, 10:34 pm.

Do you know if "Strength in Numbers " will work when you cast a spell on yourself?

#1913 November, 2019, 10:38 pm.

@Hartom yes it does. If you cast the protection charm on yourself right from the start, it’ll last you the entire fortress battle through all foes and enable the strength in numbers +5 power.

• HartomHartom Posts: 2
    #2013 November, 2019, 10:47 pm.

Thanks!

#2114 November, 2019, 02:45 am.

@Hartom strength in numbers will also be active if you're "enhanced" with various potions - if you have an active brain elixir or trace tonic, or if you entered the fortress with leftover uses pending for a dawdle draught.

#2219 November, 2019, 05:49 pm.

Looking forward to the Brilliant Event, I’ll be going for ‘Team Teaching’ (+9% defence with 2 or greater enhancements).

Don’t forget to download the new assets everyone.

Good luck all!

edited November 21 #2321 November, 2019, 01:28 am.

@Dewin99 Team Teaching is a nice skill and will give your tank a good boost. I finished off all skills that provide a defence bonus while enhanced. I’m now working on enhancements while foe is impaired. With the upcoming December brilliant event I will be able to complete all skills related to enhancements. So excited. I will start the new year with an eye on topping up Deterioration Hex Mastery and Advanced Proficiency Charm (24GB) before tackling my last two skills; Pesky Pixies and Full Moon Hunter.