Prep for new Brilliant Event

AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
in Tips & Tricks #1 latest comment 17 August, 2019, 05:38 pm.

So- i know we are all still hyped from yesterday's community day- but now im straight into prep for the event starting on 13th.

I'm thinking- have my stock of exstimulo potions replenished asap for better chance of success with high threat confoundables- i find dawdle draught to be very erratic in success?

I'm going to be doing a lot of walking today & tomorrow to open my current portmanteaus so i can empty the slots ready for the brilliant ones asap.

Plus as event begins i will definitely be conserving my spell energy for the purple confoundables so anyone who has trouble with accessing inns will defo need to bear this in mind to complete the event.

Also il try & have at least 2 Baruffios ready per day to activate when going on a brilliant confoundables hunt, using the event runes in the fortress to double up event xp & to open the portkeys with.

Think I'm learning now after the Brilliant Flora & Fauna how to ensure I finish it in time.

Anyone any other tips to help please? Apart from of course making sure we post on here questions about where to find things for the event challenges & once they are up after a couple of days just type in the search & the discussion on those items should come up 😊

Comments

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    #211 August, 2019, 02:49 pm.

Rhe only difference to my strategy is In not planning on opening up empty slots yet for the Brilliant Portmanteaus. There seems to always be one if the tasks to “unlock 4 portmanteaus.” Right now I have 1 10K, 1 5k, and 6 2k portmanteaus. When I get that task to unlock the portmanteaus, I’m going to try to quickly unlock those short ones, and then drop the brilliant ones in their place.

Also, since we now know that Brilliant portkeys don’t carry over (only contain the foundable for the event it was picked up during), I’m going to try and open my brilliants and avoid grabbing up new brilliants until the event is over. That way I can just restock after the event ends with other portmanteaus with foundables I do need.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 589 ✭✭✭
    #311 August, 2019, 03:58 pm.

I’ve been:

-brewing exstimulos in case of finicky brilliant foundables, especially the potent (longer brewing, see why below). I’m undecided about Baruffio since my stock was just depleted! May try to get one or two in.

-only brew shorter duration potions once event starts. There always seems to be a brew x amount of potions task, and I don’t want to get stuck with a busy, long duration cauldron. Especially if time is an issue. Once past this task, I can get back to Baruffio’s.

-saving all the silver keys I have and can get

-unlocking and clearing old brilliant portkeys using gold key. Just finished walking my last brilliant last night. All I have right now are boots and 10kms. I’ll open those up today, hope to pick up some 2km’s to save for the open 4 portkeys assignment. Just to be on safe side, will not key the 2km’s until the assignment. I didn’t get credit for them last time.

-I’ll probably not use my brilliant runestones until I see in here they’re working or not for the brilliant item reward. Just in case.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    #411 August, 2019, 04:48 pm.

Your strategy sounds great! I’ll try not to use any potions, other than those required to complete the “use three potions” task during the event. I hope to have my portkey inventory mostly cleared out by the time the event begins to make room for brilliants. I haven’t experienced any difficulty with completing all assignments and registry pages for previous events within two or three days, mostly because I typically have plenty of free time outside of work. I know it’s only a matter of time though before I end up becoming one of the unfortunate souls who experiences an insane amount of difficulty with retrieving required fragments from portkeys or encountering the right foes in fortress challenges. When it happens, I’ll just roll with it and try to keep my sense of humor, lol.

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 113 ✭✭
    #511 August, 2019, 06:06 pm.

Not doing much in terms of prep.. but I think it’s funny that things are lining up well for me 😊! I’ve been using only the golden key on the portkeys, and there’s only two left to open now, and I think they’ll probably open by or before Tuesday. Meaning that, once the event starts for real, I’ll open all the portkeys I have waiting, and then all that space will be cleared up for the new event portkeys.

I have 7 silver keys saved up ❤️

I think the biggest thing I’m keeping in mind this time around is to NOT use up all the event runestones once part I is finished. Gotta save it for part II 😅

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 44 ✭✭
    #611 August, 2019, 06:11 pm.

Anyone got a line on how the assignments will be ordered? I’m sure there will be ‘open n number of portkeys’ in there somewhere, so we have to time them right inorder that they open in time for the assignment. Same for potions. If the last brilliant event was any indication, there was a ‘brew 8 potions’ And use ‘8 potions’ which likely won’t be a problem since I’d be using Baruffio’s As much as I can and exstimulo’s for the hard ones. I think I’ll also save my runestones because it is likely that the last assignment bunch will have something to do with wizarding challenges. And runestones work even after the event has ended so its alright if you have extra.

I’m more worried about the portmanteaus since I can’t tell the difference between a paramount or prized portmanteau when they are on the ground. I’m trying to clear out my portmanteau deck, but I’m just rotating the gold key around and saving the silver keys for the event, so it is taking a bit of time. Hopefully the brilliant portkeys will give out good rewards.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    #711 August, 2019, 07:49 pm.

That's made me feel so much happier about my strategies guys! Thank you!

I managed to open 5 portmanteaus today & used the portkeys with baruffio going, one gave 4200xp, another 1000xp so was pretty chuffed with that. Puts in perspective tho all the hard work i did in fortress yesterday & i can earn a third of that in 2mins with portkeys lol! Obv tho its not all about the xp- the other aspects of the game are most rewarding, but it still feels good to be working towards levelling up & reaching that 30 achievement.

Thats a good point you make @Overflow4487 on the picking up of some 2k portmanteaus now so that achievement can be done quicker- if only there were a way to differentiate between them on the map! Once I'd emptied 5 slots today they were all over the map to pick up- but i was thinking nope!! Not till the event, those slots stay empty! I think il now pick a couple up tomorrow- take the risk & if they are even 10k i can get them half way opened ready.

Ive also been saving silver keys, got 2 today as extras with just plain old confoundables on map, love it when those give a surprise extra.

Ive been brewing a few quick exstimulo, but also a strong & potent. I also got 2 strong ones as extras again just with a trace on map. Chuffed! Lol

Iv baruffio ready & time to brew overnight through the event i think so il have chance to double up xp on brilliant foundables etc. It all adds up and makes the event more exciting grabbing every purple I can lol.

I'd forgotten to say about the runes, thanks for reminder @Dogoutlaw @JulieJubz and @LeFayeofAlbion . I have a few potter ones left which i thought are best saved in case, and il definitely not be using them in the gap between part 2 this time.

Lastly I'm glad ive been making notes for the last couple weeks or so on foes encountered in fortress as that might help with the defeat 3 'x' in wizard challenge achievement.

I reckon we've got it covered as best we can 😊

#811 August, 2019, 07:59 pm.

Ps thats also a good tip @Dogoutlaw about only brewing shorter time potions once event starts & keeping the cauldron que open ready for that achievement. Im setting an alarm on phone named 'cauldron' so i can ensure i get to enter master notes in time!

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭
    #911 August, 2019, 08:29 pm.

I welcome donations to help get my car fixed so I can go take part in this event. LOL

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

#1011 August, 2019, 08:49 pm.

@AuroraKadavra would love to see your notes on foes encountered in challenges if you are okay with sharing! I’m stuck on SOS assignments...

#1111 August, 2019, 10:07 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion which ones are you stuck on? I finished all the SOS ones, so maybe I can help too :)

#1211 August, 2019, 10:59 pm.

@JulieJubz The formidable pixies 😣 Even with the community day I only got 3 (yes I know, I’m super late. Late release and depression are to blame.)

#1311 August, 2019, 11:24 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion you’ll get through it! That assignment was frustrating and took a while for most of us. Keep at it though. Just with daily challenges alone, you can earn enough coins to buy a bag of runestones every four days. Grind those fortress challenges until you get there!

• SamuelHaightSamuelHaight Posts: 77 ✭✭
    #1412 August, 2019, 12:46 am.

I'm cutting back my health potions to a minimum right now.

I always brew my Baruffio's while I sleep. I set it going a couple hours before bedtime and it's ready when I wake up. Which also fulfills the Brew Potion daily task. 😉

I'm replenishing my Exstimulo potions and my Dawdle Draught.

I've got 4 open Portmanteau slots and 2 5k and 3 2k Portmanteau ready to start unlocking.

I got some gold, Dark Detectors, and another silver key today. So now I have 7 silver keys ready to go.

#1512 August, 2019, 01:10 am.

@LEFAYEOFALBION don't worry about being late! Just enjoy the game :) We'll try and help with whatever we can.

I also saw you posted a different discussion about this, and that there's already people helping you out, so best of luck!!

#1612 August, 2019, 08:37 am.

@LeFayeofAlbion i hear ya on the depression, i suffer too & ive found this game a true life-line for it. To escape reality & have a positive focus is really helping me get through each day! I'm stuck on thos pesky pixies too! Since forever! Being an auror doesnt help they dont come up often for us- but i got 3 on community day too, lvl 6 ruin with l3 mysterious artifacts rune, lvl 10 (tower V) with level 5 hog sch rune & lvl 9 ruin with lvl 3 hog sch rune.

I did mostly lower chambers first few week, so im now going to be only looking in the higher ones with a 3 or above rune to try & finish that task! But don't worry about it, lots are stuck, the rest of the game is fab- hope you find it helps too & these guys here always cheer me up. Keep an eye on that @Craeft some of those comments make me laugh so much! 😂

@SamuelHaight you sound well prepd and ready- bring it on!!!

Looking forward to tomorrow 😊

• DubiousAffairsDubiousAffairs Posts: 50 ✭✭
    #1712 August, 2019, 09:37 am.

@AuroraKadavra Remember, it's "Peskipiksi Pesternomi" with a gleaming, magic enhanced smile. And a +10 Charisma wig.

I'm a professor, and it still took me over two weeks to get them. Now I'm stuck on doxies, and have pretty much stopped caring about the SOS tasks. I'm not waking up at half past five for a game, especially one that demands 25 Doxies in order to fill that Register page.

#1812 August, 2019, 09:49 am.

Lol @DubiousAffairs my bad!! I will be sure to say it in that manner from now on, pity they can't see the gleaming smile but I'm sure it will be implicit 😂

Yeh im same with the sos, im gonna have a look about, but only cos i want to look about anyway & i think having 2nd profession may be useful if i finally get chance to battle in a group. Otherwise im just enjoying playing & getting what i can. Theres loads i haven't even got 1 of yet, so plenty to do 😊

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
    #1912 August, 2019, 04:42 pm.

@AuroraKadavra I have a tip for you that will save you from setting your alarm for potions.

Master notes may be done at ANY stage of brewing. I'll often open my game to have 15 min brew time left, I pop in the master notes and it finishes.

#2012 August, 2019, 08:29 pm.

Oh yeh you can tap the spoon at any time @WerewolfChaser , but with baruffio for example, 15% of brewing time reduced is approx 2hr 10min off, so if the notes are only entered at the end then I'd be losing the maximum brewing reduction time. So i just usually, esp with the longer ones, try to enter the notes at start so i can maximise on it.

Theres always some i miss reducing or only enter towards end so they instantly finish, but im just thinking that whilst i want to get lots of potent exstimulo done, il defo want the maximum reduction time on that 8hr brew.

Had to use 1 strong one today for Graves, but otherwise im still on track i think. And portkey slots are empty apart from 2 x 2km ones and 1 x 10km one, none opening as yet til tomorrow when the fun begins 😀

#2212 August, 2019, 08:47 pm.

@HPWULola thanks for the heads up! Much easier to fill our registry!

• Overflow4487Overflow4487 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    #2312 August, 2019, 09:16 pm.

I’m hoping the 3k will have a new experience inside the Portkey. Maybe the Hogwarts train or Platform 9 3/4! I’m so very much hoping to spin around and see these areas!

#2412 August, 2019, 09:24 pm.

Ooooh @Overflow4487 ! Can you walk through the barrier???! *squeal*

• ZakhiZakhi Posts: 105 ✭✭
    #2513 August, 2019, 05:21 am.

@Overflow4487 Spoiler Alert!

I read somewhere that you go to Hogwarts Express with portkeys in Part 1, & Hogsmeade Sign for Part II.

#2613 August, 2019, 07:44 am.

Thanks @HPWULola for the info on portkeys, that'll be much better than last time i was stuck trying to open 4x 7k ones as fast as possible- my poor feet lol ! Ive 2 x 2km saved ready this time, but as @Overflow4487 said I can't wait to see what's inside the brilliant ones!

Yay, bring on 7pm tonight! 😀 (in uk)

#2714 August, 2019, 04:54 am.

Wooooooooo! Bring on the next one!

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
    #2814 August, 2019, 06:27 am.

LOL I haven't caught 1 yet. Bit come nightfall...

• MizSeekerMizSeeker Posts: 20 ✭✭
    #2914 August, 2019, 03:32 pm.

Morning All!

My concern is picking up the correct 3km Brilliant Portmanteau. Last time, I picked up non-event portmanteau and had the devil of a clearing out slots. I was lucky enough to get the last one I needed. I have 3 slots cleared for this event but I am wary of picking up the portmanteaus I see unless I know they are the 3K ones for this event. Is there a clear way to identify them? Thank you!

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭
    #3014 August, 2019, 03:34 pm.

Unfortunately, there is not, @MizSeeker

It would definitely be helpful if there were... or at the very least, the ability to discard any unwanted portmanteaus.

#3114 August, 2019, 04:21 pm.

Also, @MizSeeker, you'll need to unlock three for the second group of tasks, but you'll need a total of five to get all the luggage trolley fragments. With all 8 slots open, 6 of the portmanteaus I picked up were Brilliant, so it seems like they spawn at a much higher rate than during previous events. I hope it works the same for you!