Bonus assignment videos promote violent behaviour

SaranethBellSaranethBell Posts: 6 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 06 October, 2021, 05:29 am.

I want to complain abt the bonus assignment videos. This is a gamed aimed at children and young people and 9/10 times the videos are advertising a game called mafia city where people are beaten up, killed and violent/sexist behaviour is routinely displayed. There are crook policemen and prison guards committing crimes and players are asked to chose between killing someone or walk away. This is completely inappropriate. Please remove such game advertisements. You should be reported

Tagged:

Comments

• Expelliarma7Expelliarma7 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    #228 September, 2021, 11:52 pm.

I have never seen that ad, mostly I see ads for QuickBooks.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #328 September, 2021, 11:55 pm.

that video sponsor button is not always give a video to me (nothing happened when tapped the button). maybe because i just a forever free player? LoL

• SnobelleSnobelle Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #429 September, 2021, 12:21 am.

Totally agree, I’ve regularly had some violent ones that I would not want a child to see.

• DragonfoxmemDragonfoxmem Posts: 16 ✭✭
    #529 September, 2021, 12:23 am.

depend on player's data, info, and location. Each player gets different ads... you may get cutie game app, you may get something locally, you may get a show/movie from streaming, etc. Many game companies have no control when come to ads....

#629 September, 2021, 01:41 am.

For the record, that game sounds horrible. 😳

• DjeaDjea Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    #729 September, 2021, 02:08 am.

I have never had a violent game video ad. I have seen the ads for cars, weee app , bodbot app, stores... I guess it depends on what we're interested in. Probably gets the information on what we googled.

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29 #829 September, 2021, 08:23 am.

WB has no control over what ads are displayed, its all run by/from unity game engine ads platform

https://unity.com/solutions/unity-ads

which much like facebook/google etc work w each user's data/metadata etc to display ads. So, if your kid sees mafia city then theyre very likely already playing GTA lol or whtev else similar. if they play switch's animal crossing for example or see cute vids in youtube they wont get it. But, and i have personal exp. from unity ads as a dev (concept artist but i work w both unity and/or coders) WB/nia and/or WU have no control over what ads are displayed whatsoever. Your complain will/ould have more of an impact if you complain to unity's management.

and no they shouldnt be reported, it is a legal app in app/play store.

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    #929 September, 2021, 08:58 am.

It's apparent that the ads aren't filtered. I once received one that claimed to cure diabetes...

#1029 September, 2021, 03:16 pm.

This is fascinating, how everyone gets targeted ads based on their metadata. I’ve never played Grand Theft Auto or any such game.. but I also never knew QuickBooks would be targeted to me, LOL. I guess working from home has had its effect on my tech life.

@Drakonite — I don’t know who or where you are in the world, but thank you for knowing so much about this stuff. Not trying to “blow smoke rings” as they say, but I just really appreciate you, as I’m sure many folks here do.

@SaranethBell : I hope you can get to the root of why these are showing up for you or your kids.

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 1,213 admin
    #1205 October, 2021, 05:49 pm.

Thanks for reporting this - we will look into it.

The bonus Video Ads will only show up for non-Niantic Kids profiles. If you are seeing this on a Niantic Kids account, please let us know!

• SparkleLikeAGemSparkleLikeAGem Posts: 52 ✭✭
    #1305 October, 2021, 09:57 pm.

I only get ads for the same 1 game. I finally took a peek at it without installing it. Without naming the game, it is one of those games where the ads are filled with someone failing at the all-too-simple minigame puzzles, but the main gameplay is nothing like the minigames you see in the ads. I have no idea why any metadata would think I would install that.

• RockylizardRockylizard Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    #1406 October, 2021, 05:29 am.

@SparkleLikeAGem that’s all I get too, ads for an empire building game and some obvious time burner puzzle games. I guess that’s all Google thinks I do, lmao.