Potion Idea

CraeftCraeft Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 30 September, 2020, 07:54 pm.

Hey there wizards, witches, prefects, and professors:

If we're gonna have continuous "Need X amount of Y Family XP" tasks, how about allowing us to brew a potion for it... but to go further, when brewing, you HAVE to select which family you want it to go to.

One though I had was a generic potion that if you don't do master notes, it ends up being a lesser BBE. BUT, let it have masters notes and make a series of different combinations, one combination for each family.

e.g. Magizoology might be →→↑↑[shake]

Mysterious Artifacts might be [CW] [CW] [CCW] →↑

etc.

Option 2 would be to add those options to the already available BBE potion creation.

Just a thought but it would help when the needed family rarely pops.

Comments

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #218 September, 2020, 05:11 am.

I wouldn't mind this at all. Although it might have to be limited to the events or not something that could be bought at Diagon Alley.

Could be very useful for rural players as well.

Also, I enjoyed messing around until I figured out the master notes, it would be a good puzzle to add into the game again.

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #318 September, 2020, 02:24 pm.

I don't think it should be able to be purchased in the alley. Needs to be a direct result of player input.

I considered limiting it to events but figure overall there's no point to limiting it mainly because for this to function in a balanced system, the player has to use resources as well as vault space anyway. So it's not something that someone is going to want to spam out and stock up on. It would be something that the vast majority would wait until an event anyway.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #418 September, 2020, 08:22 pm.

Hey @Craeft and @Bormacska good to see you both, I hope you're both doing well.

People have suggested being able to brew a trace tonic that increased spawns of a specific family. Your idea is like that, except a family specific brain elixir instead. I like both ideas, although if used together they might make the "gain X family xp" tasks too easy.

One way to keep it in check would be to make it pricey to produce. Perhaps your suggestion could be made using an existing BBE potion plus a family runestone plus a few ingredients. Then people would have to consider the cost of brewing one and it wouldn't end up being something that everyone had a few of from each family on hand at all times.

#519 September, 2020, 01:26 am.

I really like the family runestone idea.

I hesitate at the other ingredients part though since ingredients are already a pain to manage.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #619 September, 2020, 03:03 am.

@Craeft 👋 Good to hear from you again.

Hoping you are safe and well.

I like this idea a lot. It could be a great in game introduction for Felix Felicis! Be diligent in your brewing and you get liquid luck to bring you a certain family foundable. It seems logical to start with a basic TTD (as it's purpose is to create traces for an individual player) then add additional ingredient, for example Occamy eggshell (portkey ingredient) Finish with master notes for the desired foundable family. Finally when successful brewed your TTD turns from pink to gold!

Felix Felicis also could take 12 to 18 hours to brew. It should be a bit pricey as far as time goes. It's also dangerous to use FF to much so a time out. It can only be used once in X hours or days?

@Bormacska I would also like a new in game puzzle solve.

@MtPollux I'd worry about the coding with runestones. Trying to add a runestone in a potion to produce X family feels like it could have some unintended disastrous consequences. Where as using master notes are already expected code for potions. (Enough said😉)

edited September 19 #719 September, 2020, 03:25 am.

@Owlx - I can see the TTD option but my point was for higher family XP... not higher traceable rate.

However, imho, either would work. What it would boil down to at that point is energy expenditure vs. return. And that's where the balance lies. I'd be ok with expending a bit more energy for higher family trace count OR lower energy expenditure for same family trace count but higher family XP rate.

Seems a fair trade off.

I'd be careful of the time requirements though because if it takes 12 hours to brew one potion and you live in an area with rare pop of a given family, it doesn't really help with the intended purpose unless the results are incredibly high. I think the brew time should be no different or minimally different from the base potion.

EDIT ADD: An option would be that while current master notes reduce brew time... maybe family specific master notes maintain original brew time but allow for that family specific result.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #819 September, 2020, 03:59 am.

@Craeft yeah I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque! I see what you were after.

--que song " I want it all" by Queen...

Let's make it do both!!!!

More of X family trace and more XP

I WANT IT ALL AND WANT IT NOW!

whispers quietly- sorry the Muppets in my head are on the loose. It started with a random Cheshire cat sighting and snow-balled from there. I don't think I could explain it if I had too.

Ooohh looook NIFFLER

#921 September, 2020, 03:07 pm.

Hehe.

I think both night be a bit overkill. Though I could definitely use it. I don't think I'm going to actually finish the event all because of this one task.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1030 September, 2020, 07:54 pm.

@Craeft great to see you on the forum! Hope you’re doing well! 😃

It would be nice to have a potion that either spawns foundables from a certain family or increases xp from a certain family for those tasks. Maybe something as @Owlx suggested. Possibly one potion that increases spawns from a certain family and the foundables you successfully return give double the family xp they usually would. You could use it in conjunction with other potions but not a TTD, which would stop it from becoming too powerful.

I’m just not sure about how it would be brewed. I wouldn’t go with including runestones though, since the coding could be problematic.