Dada books need to be given out in much higher quantities

2»

Comments

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    #3214 August, 2020, 11:28 pm.

A hint of new feature, interesting 😆

• bryubryu Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #3319 August, 2020, 03:19 pm.

@hpwulola will this be implemented in a timely manner? If the goal of the app is to make money then how does driving players away by gating a new feature accomplish that goal?

• Osprey1Osprey1 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3420 August, 2020, 02:46 pm.

Ooh, I hope we get an owl with books on our birthday!

• KreaturezKreaturez Posts: 63 ✭✭
    #3529 August, 2020, 05:47 pm.

I got 20 Dada books this month. 5 for brilliant 1 and 5 for brilliant 1 bonus. Then another 10 for brilliant 2 and its bonus. Am I calculating it wrong?

• cosk62cosk62 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    #3631 August, 2020, 04:00 pm.

@Kreaturez, yes, August BEs gave 10 DADA books each. July ones gave 5 each.

20/month is about 5 years to complete SOS Training. Without another source of DADA books the game will be in a weird state in a year - most active players will have enough of all other currencies to complete everything, and only DADA books will be gating for the following 4 years.

• BenTigerBenTiger Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭
    #3731 August, 2020, 06:02 pm.

@cosk62 You forgot about RSB and future combat lesson plans. There are already several players (myself included) with excessive field guides and manuals, waiting on more RSB and DADA books.

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    #3831 August, 2020, 06:15 pm.

Lola has already said in this forum that they'll (eventually) give us more ways to earn DADA (at least if not also RSBs), but even if they dont we know what'll happen, exactly what happened to the registry, in a year from now they'll go in and severely decrease requirements, something that previously cost 80 DADA now costs 10 or 5. There's a precedent now so I'm not rly worried, it's only a matter of patience, either way.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    #3931 August, 2020, 06:34 pm.

Just banking on the intellectual property of the Harry Potter franchise and hoping everyone just sticks around until they decide to fix an issue doesn't sound like a solid long term strategy.

• BenTigerBenTiger Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭
    #4031 August, 2020, 06:41 pm.

Other games have failed by limiting progress with in-game events. The main things keeping players here is just the community and the Harry Potter franchise, itself.

It definitely isn't the quality of programming or customer service keeping players here.

#4101 September, 2020, 06:56 am.

there is no community to keep me here, never has been, not in the internet, not physically/locally. I'm here until I find something better to do whilst walking/jogging, the new witcher game might be it, and if dragon quest was avail. outside of japan itd have been it.

• HalloMamiHalloMami Posts: 20 ✭✭
    #4202 September, 2020, 11:20 am.

TLDR version: Indeed, you need A LOT of DADA books to complete the trees. However, unlocking a few relatively cheap nodes basically gets you everything useful out of the trees (minus some End-Of-Branch nodes that do something and require a ludicrous amount of DADA books, but at least they don't block you from progessing through the tree).

So, I've been checking out the SOS trees and frankly I'm wondering what the general plan is. 

The thing is: 1358 DADA books sounds impressive, BUT: Most of these you would have to spend on stuff that you get a very limited use out of anyways (this obviously is kinda subjective...).

A) First category: Pretty useless talents at the end of a tree

Dawning Understanding: 3x4 DADA books for 6% brew time reduction of (regular) invigoration potion (lol)

A sense of Invigoration: 30 DADA books for one additional focus on regular invigoration potion

Setting the standards: 60 DADA books for one additinal focus on strong invigoration potion

I'll be the knight: 4x8 DADA books for +12% effect on WSP

B) Or they have a questionable value and don't block anything important:

Clarion Call: 70 DADA books, chance of a spell book from challenges; blocks trace charm proficiency (so, nothing, really).

Inn this together: 90 DADA books, blocks Inn and greenhouse charm improvements (again, nothing).

Spleen on me: 3x20 DADA books for +9% WSP; the tree after that contains mostly other improvements for WSP for another total of 3x10 + 60 DADA books

All of the treasure trunk improvements at the end of tree 1: 10x20 for the chance to get spell books (with two nodes on departure denial mixed in): Not useless, but currently I guess most players don't need that many spell books anymore. Plus, there is actually a way to get them without these nodes...

C) Useful nodes at the end of a tree:

Serendipitous study: 100 DADA books, +1 trace for trace charm

Volunteer work: 3x4 DADA books for +6% effect on potent EP

St. Mungos: 2x20 DADA books for +7% effect on strong EP

Bottoms Up: 50 DADA books for 5 extra minutes on BBE

Adaptive Casting: 3x17 books for +70 general spell mastery

D) Finally, somewhat useful nodes that block other useful stuff

Awesome blossom: 10 DADA books for an extra use on regular EP; blocks 2 nodes with departure denial. Ok, not that stellar, but I'd consider it ok bang-for-the-buck

Whetstone for the mind: 3x15 DADA books for +9% efficiency on WSP; Ok, pretty meh itself but blocks Spanglarillion and several mastery/departure denial nodes

A horse with no name: 4x14 DADA books for 12% general departure denial: Blocks 3 family specific spell mastery nodes

(Hm, this adds up to 1008 DADA books; I might have missed a node or two... also, I assumed that the cost for a potentially second and third unlock are the same as the first, which in fact might not be the case, but that has little impact on my point really).

So, assuming that you don't suddenly need an even higher pile of spell books or desperately want WSP to be more effective, categories A) and B) are pretty irrelevant. Those in C) are potentially nice to have, but most of them are likely considered too pricey for what they deliver. And they don't block any progress. And finally, those in D) are likely what everybody will go for first. 

And those are cheap, in particular if you basically take them only to unlock the nodes behind them. Like, after the next event you will be able to unlock all three of them. After that, you're not really blocked by a lack of DADA books (well, other than for the sake of completing the tree). And I think the requirment for RSBs is actually muuuch tougher, in particular since these are needed if you want to complete other profession trees...

PS:

And "additional opportunities" sounds good, but either you get so many of them that the number of books we got so far is irrelevant, or the additional number of books only cuts the time from 4 to 2 years or something (or in other words from "too long" to "still too long"). Yeah, I don't see that working out.

PPS:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the high cost nodes are kind of a placeholder (like, "make the values so high that nobody can buy these in the forseeable future so we can figure out how this works out later").

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    #4302 September, 2020, 12:37 pm.

Once the additional combat spell lessons are coming, those extra spell books will come quite handy really quick.

Unless they're going to wait 2-4 years before they release those...

And I agree, the biggest bottleneck is going to be the RSB, which have absolutely no place in this totally different tree.

• AltarielValiceAltarielValice Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    #4402 September, 2020, 12:50 pm.

There needs to be a rebalance on how to get DADA books. Consider Brilliant Events increasing the number of books recieve as a reward, consider players needing to grind maybe Dark V for a limit of 10 books per event?

I understand that gaining books needs to be a challenge and completing the skill tree should take time to get to. But its certainly true that we dont want players giving up on it because it looks impossible to accomplish.

#4502 September, 2020, 10:02 pm.

if the new profession lesson plans take a leaf out of the sos calamity trees, we might be looking at single nodes requiring anything from 40x# reds to 1.6kx# reds, plus dada and rsbs at the same time of having to complete sos trees (assuming they are released within 1-2 years from now, by then most ppl who have been active from now will either be nearing not caring abt sos trees or will have abandoned at having nothing else to do other than wait BEs for DADAs/RSBs....)

and if that was tldr......i shudder to think what the long version would be like jk :P

also: with or w/o the new profession plans (espec if new profession plans require 1k-2k reds per node (why not? w KB we'll be done in less than 2-3 months otherwise, like it took me 2 months to max out both auror and professor's reds at 300ish and 430ish reds), those potentially extra reds from trunks could be useful, the WSP IS useful espec if solo, and im guessing if adversaries (posters after wands) are tougher than D5 foes we might have need of wsp+ potent to defeat them, at least until we master the new lesson plans (professions), basic and strong extims might be 'useless' w/o sos trees nodes, but they become a hella of a lot more powerful w, the basic becomes a strong and the strong becomes a potent (and potent becomes overkill xD), but basic and strong require 1. no unicorn hair. 2. less brewing time, so finish off weak/strong extim power up nodes and after a certain lvl (40-50-ish?) you need no more potent, ever again, after 50 you need no more dwadle more or less (w extims), so reducing weak/strong (and potent) brewing times can give you a **** of a lot of potions w/o needing potents/uni hair. there's also 100 dada gold gift node (not sure if you missed it or not) which im not sure if it'll be useful, it'll depend on how much gold it'll give the sendee, if its less than 20 its kinda meh, if its 20+ (per gift received) its nice and if its more than 50 its uber nice, but we wont know for at least 3-4 more months until some1 gets 100 dada to unlock it (20x5 months min). so maybe around december?

now as to the invig potion, +1 focus (2 total) and brew time reduced is a nice deal at least if one is an auror/prof in D5, yeah sure strong invig gives you 3 focus, but 2 focus for less brewing time and less ingredients required isnt a bad deal either, also in the datamine there seem to be lessons which increase the basic/weak invig to 10 focus overall, so having only +1 so far tells me they (WB) either intent to give us more sos trees i the future which will make up for the +8-9 we havent seen now, (and/) or they may give that extra temp for/in events "for this event if you have <node that +1 focus> you now will now receive a total of 10! focus for it!" (fortress cd event maybe?)

yeah the inn/gh charms are the most useless of them all...for ppl who have a lot of pois nearby, if though you are a rural player with like 1-2 inns/gh within 40mins walking/driving distance, those could be lifesavers, a lot more ingreds and/or SE from fewer inns/ghs. And GH charm maxed out (if im not terribly mistaken) is supposed to give out rare ingredients, so what if a gh can give you unicorn hair or powdered dragon claw etc? not 'that' useless now.

Like you said, tho, it's all subjective to every player's gameplay :)

I do fully expect them though that when the new profession plans are released to require both DADA AND RSBs, so having extra ways of acquiring both/either will be great.

• HypnoticMichaelHypnoticMichael Posts: 34 ✭✭
    #4605 September, 2020, 08:02 pm.

Given what’s happened with TC, and that a respec feature seems to be (uniquely) beyond this particular game, those who have been conned into spending RSBs on features later made useless can perhaps hope for at least ore opportunity to earn them too?