A Field Guide to SOS Training

Comments

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3321 July, 2020, 05:14 am.

@Sjoerd97 It seems this is a visual bug only - it doesn't actually impact severity.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21 #3421 July, 2020, 05:28 am.

@hpwulola There seems to be something weird going on with the profession appraisal scores. Hopefully you can pass the information on and the HPWU team can look into what’s going on with them:

Some friends found out about this so I checked as well and it seems that switching professions causes the appraisal score to increase:

I completed some more skills from the SOS training skill tree and the appraisal score reset to 28205 again. Switching professions after that happened caused the score to go back up to 50770:

I restarted the app to see if that might have caused the score to reset, but that wasn’t the case as the score stayed at 50770.

I’m guessing the combat appraisal score is supposed to take into account certain lessons learned from the SOS training skill tree, but I’m not sure since I didn’t check the score at the beginning when I hadn’t completed any skills for SOS training. But I found it weird that completing some SOS training skills reset the Combat appraisal score to something lower and the fact that switching professions increased it again.

I’ve only used books and scrolls in the Magizoology skill tree, so it was also weird to see a combat score of 430 on the other trees as well. Not sure if that’s an issue though.

#3621 July, 2020, 05:38 am.

@Stardust228 If you decide to use the trace charm again, try to avoid the trace you used the charm on, until the end. When I tried that the traces didn’t disappear, so hopefully that will work for you as well.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    #3721 July, 2020, 07:18 am.

yeah, do not touch the origin traces until the others had been 'wipe out' . mine work that way

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭
    #3821 July, 2020, 08:23 am.

@Bormacska Thank you for the link! It looks helpful.

So is everyone just starting at the top and working their way down, or jumping around based on what you want to improve?

• ElisaWilsonElisaWilson Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21 #3921 July, 2020, 08:55 am.

@hpwulola, in St. Treacle Tart's description it says "she increases your chance of procuring Extravagant Wizarding Xp Gifts ". However the progress bar and the text under it mention "Rare XP Gifts". Which is it?

And another thing I just noticed: I'm a maxed out magizoo, my profession appraisal is 28205 and until yesterday I was "allowed" to play in Dark Chamber V. Now the difficulty there is sat to 39034. Did the chamber became more difficult? Or can I still fight there without more problems than usual?

#4021 July, 2020, 09:49 am.

@ParrishBlue Have you collected it yet? I am wondering if you already are at 1/1 for the charms, do you just lose those rewards or do they go to 2/1?

• NonCreativeKidNonCreativeKid Posts: 16 ✭✭
    #4221 July, 2020, 11:46 am.

@CeruleanGirl I jumped around! I was all about those decreased potion brew times, so I got those skills/whatever I needed to do to get to those skills first.

• TwinGypsyTwinGypsy Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21 #4321 July, 2020, 11:56 am.

@hpwulola @Imaginatio or anyone who can offer help please. I do have a question. Don't know if anyone has noticed when fortressing? Screenshots to follow. Why do our combat appraisals keep shifting in and out with our sos training numbers appraisals? I can't figure out why it keeps jumping back and forth? I haven't done anything different or completed any further SOS lessons between the timeframe of these screenshots. I'm just trying to understand. It's changed like this 3-4x within 24 hours when I've hopped on the knight bus. Any thoughts, guidance, explanations to help quench my thirsty brain would be appreciated 😬 thank you! Sorry if this is in the wrong discussion category. But everything shifted when the SOS field training launched.

#4421 July, 2020, 12:03 pm.

Switching profession back and forth to get permanent score?

#4521 July, 2020, 12:04 pm.

@Imaginatio I'm having the same issue, however I haven't switched professions to have my appraisal scores change. I'm lost. Thank you for the feedback and also@Kodokmag for the suggestion in not targeting the confoundable you dropped the trace on. Gonna try it here shortly to see if there's a difference. I did do what others have above in the essence of going straight to the confoundable I dropped the trace on, & the rest that popped up, disappeared after coming out of the confoundable. Hope that makes sense? I worded it all funky. My brains on overload trying to absorb more than its capacity at they moment...lol

#4621 July, 2020, 12:19 pm.

On me the origin traces still have time out count (like if we leave it alone for too long it still will dissapear).

#4721 July, 2020, 12:23 pm.

@Kodokmag thank you! Do you have any idea of how long that trace charm lasts for?

#4821 July, 2020, 12:27 pm.

Dunno, maybe a few minutes? LoL

I didnt count and charm charges still at basic.

• Zuzanna93Zuzanna93 Posts: 65 ✭✭
    #4921 July, 2020, 01:43 pm.

I like this new update! Lots of new things to do.

I am confused though.

The charm that duplicates traces: it was a 'wonders of the wizarding world' trace on which I tried it, because there wasn't any other trace visible. Two BE traces appeared and I opened one of them. After returning the foundable, the other BE trace was gone. I was still able to return the WotW trace.

Also confused about the appraisal value, it keeps shifting (and so far it's only going down, unfortunately). Right after the update it was at 99.000 something (I'm a level 15 professor). I did a wizarding challenge, Dark V and some time after that, it went up to 110.000. I was happy and concluded that playing the game would make your score go up.

This morning, it started at 50.000 and I was disappointed. Perhaps playing a bit would make it go up again? No, after some playing it went down to 37.000. Now I'm checking and it's at 67.000. I have no idea what is causing the number to fluctuate this much.

So far I would've preferred to see 'lvl 15' rather than this score system.

• RabbeinuTamRabbeinuTam Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    #5021 July, 2020, 02:07 pm.

@hpwulola the brewing mastery % for the TTD gets cut off on the bottom of the page

• WitchHikerWitchHiker Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    #5121 July, 2020, 02:20 pm.

@HPWUTeam2020

Cant say I’m a fan of new ‘idea’.

Never had a problem returning a Swooping Evil with an Extimulo potion until this ‘new idea’ of the SOS training.

even with the Spell, Extimulo & Dark Arts Departure Denial active, it still escaped.

• ParrishBlueParrishBlue Posts: 45 ✭✭
    #5221 July, 2020, 03:06 pm.

@CeruleanGirl I have not collected the field charms yet, as I would like to use my other charms first to try them out. I imagine that if I did collect them now, I would lose the new inn and greenhouse charms since my max is one.

As for choosing skills in the new SOS tree, I spent quite a bit of time reading what was available and trying to decide if it would be helpful for my gameplay. I ended up jumping around quite a bit. I aimed for improving trace families that my registry lacks, and improving brain elixir xp.

In order to unlock some skills I wanted most, I had to reduce the potion brew on a few potions... but I focused on bigger skills first because it seems that field guides are easy to find, and I can always go back for those lower skills that only require field guides later.

I think that everyone will skill select a little differently, based on how they like to gameplay.... and where they feel a little boost will be helpful. :)

#5321 July, 2020, 03:12 pm.

@TwinGypsy I haven’t yet been in fortresses much to see the numbers jump like that, but the time I did go in was after switching professions and the number stayed as the higher one.

Possibly try switching professions and then go back to auror and then try the Knight bus to see if it still jumps around?

It is still very weird that it’s doing that though. Hopefully the @HPWUTeam will be able to have a look into it and sort it out.

@Zuzanna93 Quick question, did you complete any SOS training skills after it was showing a score of over 50k and before it was showing a score of over 60k. I think certain SOS training skills impact the profession appraisal score, but since I’m low on field guides and manuals I can’t check myself.

@CeruleanGirl You lose the rewards if your field charm slots are full. Best to keep one slot empty when collecting the dailies. It doesn’t go over from 1/1 to 2/1 unfortunately. I’ve made that mistake already 🤦‍♀️

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #5421 July, 2020, 03:18 pm.

I'm enviously eyeing the "possible spellbook in your treasure chest" spells. But those are way expensive. ;)

• ParrishBlueParrishBlue Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited July 21 #5521 July, 2020, 03:24 pm.

Well, just like @ElisaWilson and @TwinGypsy I went to fortress this morning, and my professional appraisal was ~27K. Left the fortress and went back into combat training and it showed the low score until I switched professions like @Imaginatio showed. When I went back to the fortress I was at the higher score.

I know this is something @Hoosierfan and @Zuzanna93 are wondering about too. I'm hoping it's a known issue for the HPWU crew. And that we can get some clarity on how to improve that score too.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #5721 July, 2020, 03:57 pm.

@CeruleanGirl I asked myself the question, "How would I improve the game, if I were in charge?" Then I improved things accordingly.

I had avoided the spellbooks in treasure chests because I assumed red books. But if RSB or DADA, that could be really valuable.

#5821 July, 2020, 06:01 pm.

@ParrishBlue @Magpie31 @Imaginatio Thank you all for the advice. I feel a little less overwhelmed by all of the options now!

• NavikNavik Posts: 35 ✭✭
    #5921 July, 2020, 06:16 pm.

I've been looking but haven't found an answer yet... Is placing brilliant foundables supposed to provide you with SOS resources? Technically, all brilliant pages are silver...

@HPWUTeam @hpwulola?

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6021 July, 2020, 06:25 pm.

@Navik no. Lola has said that brilliant pages don't provide sos training manuals.

• NavikNavik Posts: 35 ✭✭
    #6121 July, 2020, 06:28 pm.

@MtPollux thank you! I was looking back, must have missed it somewhere. So much to unpack with this update. Still looking at the reward rate (55 gold foundables = 9 books vs what they'd be on silver and bronze) just because I'm curious.