Everything you wanted to know about Wizards Challenges (But were afraid to ask!)

Comments

• WitchHikerWitchHiker Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    #3204 July, 2020, 07:25 pm.

@VoiceMaster

yes, I’ve experienced what you’re describing.

Also, many times a MZ will be one of the 5 , then at last minute jump out. I enter another fortress and Voila, the same MZ joins then at last second, jumps out!

gets to ge a game to see if I can then find that same MZ in yet another chamber To see if they repeat the jumping out and, yes they do.

What gives? At least 2-3 Aurors and 2-3 Profs each time

• AquaishesAquaishes Posts: 22 ✭✭
    #3308 July, 2020, 12:41 pm.

G'mornin all! I just want to say thank you for making this thread cus I have a couple questions... I'm a level 29 wiz and a level 14 magi ( I have all the spells started, and salamanders completed just have to finish some up)and I'm just getting into the dark towers now.. So I had what I thought was an amazing battle yesterday but after reading all this new info I'm wondering if everyone else felt the same way

.. I am still using my 1 runestones from past BE's I must have 60 of them all together. I was under the impression that a higher level runestone would give me stronger foes, no? Just the chamber determines that? During the duel I was the first to finish with my foes so I just kept pumping spells to team mates but you guys said it's better to wait until they a KO' Ed and them revive them? Don't the players stay stronger with more life/stamina? I was sending so much a clock would show up and make me wait before I could send another.. The focus part is still confusing me a bit..I always start with 2 focus or more now and I will get more focus if I beat a foe? If I send a team boosting charm it uses up focus? Is focus like a currency then? I didn't know that the team shares focus, so me constantly using it made it harder for profs to use their own spells? Is that true? I have noticed that I am invincible against spidies and erkies which is awesome, but if all the other foes are taken I will duel a deatheater so that I am still competing and not waiting for a spidie to show up, does that make ppl mad? Also I never had a tutorial chamber, what's that about?? I am trying to do a good job and I really appreciate the support you guys are trying to give.

💪💕🧙‍♀️

Ps

I have an SOS task where I had to have a duel with 3 teammates so I was leaving a chamber if a 4th showed up while waiting to enter, but it should have read at " least 3 " because playing with 4 and 5 players still accomplished the task.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3408 July, 2020, 12:46 pm.

@WitchHiker Yes, in a team of 5, we do Dark V a lot with no potions. Actually quite rare that we need them. Solo? Not a chance!

#3508 July, 2020, 01:34 pm.

Sorry I'm still level lucky 13 mag - typos - the pixies did it 🤭

#3708 July, 2020, 03:32 pm.

Hi @Aquaishes. I will try and answer your questions for you.

First, though let me say thank you for asking! It is great to ask questions!

1) I was under the impression that a higher level runestone would give me stronger foes, no? Just the chamber determines that?

Higher level runestones do give higher foes, yes. But they also give more rewards. Generally, players who are playing in Dark Chambers in teams are strong enough to play with their higher runestones. Also, 4 x 450cxp is way better than 1x.

2a) During the duel I was the first to finish with my foes

Bit of a side note, but fortress foes are randomly generated. I have had days when playing magi where I have had 15 of the 21 foes. No way am I doing that alone, so I knock some down to under 50% so the aurors can help me. Please don't sit there because "your" foes are finished. Have a look, see what you can help with. Take a few hits then jump out to see if the proficient profession is free. Okay, this isn't always the case, but if you have 15 dark dudes on the board and only one auror, please help!

2b) I just kept pumping spells to team mates but you guys said it's better to wait until they a KO' Ed and them revive them? Don't the players stay stronger with more life/stamina?

It costs 2 focus to give stamina but only 1 to revive, so it is about efficiency, especially as magizoologists need 5 focus for their extra 40 power. In terms of the second comment... No, that only applies to magizoologists. Each profession has its own little quirks. Magizoologists need 5 focus and 50% stamina for the 10. Professors need double charm and double hex to become invincible. Aurors are more powerful when foes either have 100% or less than 50%.

2c) I was sending so much a clock would show up and make me wait before I could send another.

Those are mini heals. They don't cost focus, but only restore 5 stamina at a time. Not really worth it, most of the time. Also, this took me a while to learn, but it really is okay to let someone be KO'd for a little while. You don't need to sit and wait for them to die!

3) The focus part is still confusing me a bit..I always start with 2 focus or more now and I will get more focus if I beat a foe? If I send a team boosting charm it uses up focus? Is focus like a currency then?

Ouch. As I magi, I really recommend you get that starting focus up as much as possible. The max is 5 for a magi. Spells cost focus. Each profession has a free spell (for a magi, it is the mini heal, second from the left). The spell costs are different for each profession as well. It costs you 1 focus to revive, 2 to heal, and 7 to put up bravery. And yes, you can get extra focus by beating foes or from kind aurors - their free spell is to pass focus around.

4) I didn't know that the team shares focus, so me constantly using it made it harder for profs to use their own spells? Is that true?

Bad wording, really. When it says +1 focus for the team, it means 1 focus for each team member. So each member has their own tank of focus. Aurors can send their focus to profs and magis to help them cast their spells.

5) I have noticed that I am invincible against spidies and erkies which is awesome, but if all the other foes are taken I will duel a deatheater so that I am still competing and not waiting for a spidie to show up, does that make ppl mad?

Not at all. As I mentiomed earlier, that is a good thing. Just make an informed choice. If it is at the start of the chamber, it is okay to wait a minute to see if your own foes appear. If it is near the end, make sure you hop out partway to see if an auror is available. But as a magi, you are probably doing this to check on your teammates anyway.

6) Also I never had a tutorial chamber, what's that about??

There isn't one. I think it is something people would like to see in the game, to help newer team players like yourself.

Hope this helps!

#3808 July, 2020, 04:12 pm.

@Magpie31

Was hoping the ‘no potion’ Comment was regarding group play.

Agreed, group play in Dark V not an issue.

Go ahead, give Dark V a solo run. If I can do it, and I’m not a gamer, I know you can do it.

Potion-up though. Lol.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3908 July, 2020, 05:59 pm.

Solo D5 is almost always about the RNG. If you are fully mastered in your profession with a well stocked potion vault it should be possible, unless every foe you get is 4&5* in your deficiency. Then there is almost no chance of success in the time limit.

As an auror, if I get nothing but erklings and spiders in a solo d5, I can guarantee that it will be less painful to just sit and not waste my se and potions on that run.

#4008 July, 2020, 10:39 pm.

@Magpie31 & @MtPollux thank you so much for your time and explainations, I was truely afraid to ask. I will continue to try harder to learn about the strategy in the battles. Just so ya know tho I never sat and waited. I would just fight everything as hard as possible. What I meant was at the end there were 3 teammates still finishing their final duels.... Anyway thank you so much! 💪💪💐🧙‍♀️

#4109 July, 2020, 09:44 pm.

@Magpie31 hit it on the head with these comments.

More players need to head this:

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    #4213 July, 2020, 10:36 pm.

@WitchHiker I'm just seeing your post from July 3. It's been a busy couple of weeks. I have no idea why a Magizoo would jump out of a group with at least one Auror and one Prof. Being the only Magizoo in a group of 5 is perfectly fine - even preferable. My task in that battle is really clear. I feel like too many people don't study the rules of engagement. I often play as a Prof and find the Aurors don't give focus. I figure they just don't know.

#4313 July, 2020, 10:50 pm.

Random question about focus. When I end a challenge, I have 12-15 focus (depending on the level). In other words, my focus bar is full. Where does it go? 'Cause when I start the next challenge, it's not there anymore.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #4414 July, 2020, 12:40 am.

@VoiceMaster

It's gone. Focus doesn't carry over between challenges, that's why it is recommended to not "hoard" it but use it freely.

#4514 July, 2020, 02:23 am.

@Lucoire , then why all the emphasis on Magizoos waiting to revive rather than supplement? I might as well just throw out the 2 focus to bolster someone's energy rather than wait for them to get knocked out.

#4614 July, 2020, 03:07 am.

@VoiceMaster Later in the battle, it doesn't matter so much. But earlier on, magizoologists need

A) A minimum of 5 focus to keep Becoming The Beast (which is 40 of their power)

B) 7 focus to cast Bravery on the team.

Magis have a max of 12 focus, which is equal to 5 + 7. So until Bravery is cast, they need to only revive if possible, so that they can cast it without losing their power.

Additionally, the 2 focus heal is only a partial heal. It takes two heals (4 focus) to give my teammate enough stamina to make it through their next foe. It is unlikely that I will have 4 spare stamina until very late in the game, if at all. Though this is dependent on aurors.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 #4714 July, 2020, 03:16 am.

@Magpie31

7 focus to cast Bravery on the team.

I'm going to speak out of turn for my profession (Professors) and say if there are no elite foes, don't cast Team Bravery. Yes, Professors can benefit from Team Bravery as it counts as an extra Enhancement (we're the only profession where this matters). However, if the choice is to activate it versus potentially weakening the Magi/make said Magi less willing to Revive and Heal, I would say keep the focus for a more beneficial saving spells. Either that or wait until you have full focus and it won't cause you to drop under 5 focus (*).

(*) Keep in mind that it's not just Becoming the Beast but also A Bird In Hand (+15% defense when 5+ focus). So, going sub-5 focus is a double bogey in that the Magi is weaker in terms of power as well as defense. Yes, Magpie, I know you know that. Just putting it out there for others who may not be aware.

#4814 July, 2020, 03:22 am.

@FireWanderer Not out of turn at all - it is good advice. I am 15/15/13 on my professions and often play magi to round out a team. I only cast bravery quickly if there are lots of elites on the board. Otherwise, it goes up when it is sensible to do so.

I think players should trust that Bravery is likely to come later on, and not race into elites before it is up, though.

#4914 July, 2020, 03:23 am.

@Magpie31

I think players should trust that Bravery is likely to come later on, and not race into elites before it is up, though.

But but but I could lose out on getting that elite for my achievements! 😂🤣

edited July 2020 #5014 July, 2020, 03:25 am.

@FireWanderer You joke, but I genuinely think this is the mindset for a lot of people.

Post edited by Magpie31 on
    #5114 July, 2020, 03:32 am.

@Magpie31 Oh I know it is, but either you can tear your hair out about it, or you can laugh about it. Not much else we can do, is there? 😁

#5214 July, 2020, 04:08 am.

I present to you Exhibit A: My extensive bald patches 😉

#5314 July, 2020, 04:45 am.

I prefer my destruction to be attached to my liver. Drink another round for another fool!

#5414 July, 2020, 11:16 am.

@FireWanderer Hello, are you my long lost twin? My Knight Bus buddies will tell you all about my drunken escapades!

#5519 July, 2020, 07:23 pm.

@Magpie31 - if not siblings, at least on the same wavelength!

*looks down*

Hmm ... I have seem to have a drinking problem. My glass is currently empty. Time to go fix that.

#5620 July, 2020, 03:43 am.

@FireWanderer I am living vicariously this week. I had a motorbike accident last week so need painkillers. This means no fun juice.

#5720 July, 2020, 04:56 am.

@Magpie31 - ouch! Sorry to hear that.

It's a growler of bock, in case you care. Tasty.

Of course, my daughter wanted me to make a FireWanderer homemade (virgin) strawberry daiquiri after dinner, so I didn't have anymore of the bock. The daiquiri (after delivered to said daughter) was then "upgraded" with rum.

The **** on the growler continues tomorrow.

#5806 March, 2021, 02:48 pm.

Apparently most of the good fortress players have left the game because anymore it seems I only encounter slackers!

Just now, 3 Aurors in a fortress and I’m the only one playing! Other two just watching. eating donuts, polishing their nails, who knows what, but NOT participating in any way!!

@hpwulola maybe give us a way (before the game is over) to give a ⭐️ to those players I’m in a fortress with that really are fighting foes and or giving focus, applying their profession’s charms... this ⭐️ becomes a permanent part of their fortress image. The more players ‘engage’, the more stars they amass. Like military metals.

This shows that the player/players you’re in a fortress with have earned their stars!!

#5907 March, 2021, 03:53 am.

Yes, @WitchHiker it would be really nice to have some way for experienced fortress players to know each other and getting to play together. Stars could work. I've thought of more stringent levels, or even fortress tournaments. But we'd have to be able to choose our teams - without the moving in and out of towers to find our friends workaround. I haven't stopped playing, but it's so lonely on the Knight Bus I don't go in as frequently.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6007 March, 2021, 04:44 am.

i havent stop playing knight bus too, but despite the "emptyness" of knight bus there are still player that only play for preferrable

profession composition (refuse to continue/leaving when there are 3 magizoo).

for me its enough if each profession are presents, couldnt be picky on empty knight bus isnt it. its only get bit hard if there are too many beast for one magizoo (for the lack of damage/critical) but still manageable by some potent extimulo. i dont think it would get hard for 1 professor or even 1 auror.

#6102 April, 2021, 07:44 pm.

Well, just completed a fortress with 4 other players. 1 MZ, 3 Profs and myself.

EXCEPT FOR THE MZ, THE 3 PROFESSORS JUST “WATCHED”. Didn’t duel, didn’t contribute charms, hexes, or focus

(or whatever it’s called for them).

HIGHLY IRRITATED!

THANK YOU Flyxrie for helping!!