Note about the Brilliant Event: Brilliant Bogrod the Goblin can be placed by tapping the area under his elbow. The Brilliant Shopping List can be placed by tapping the bottom left corner. Click here for images.
App crash at start up: iphone7 iOS 13.5.1 — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

App crash at start up: iphone7 iOS 13.5.1

SarahWildeSarahWilde Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Archive #1 latest comment 06 July, 2020, 07:36 pm.

Two weeks ago the app began crashing when the loading bar title screen appeared. Updated phone, rebooted phone, tried loading the app on only cell-data as well as while connected to WiFi. Deleted the app and re-downloaded it. Now the app crashes when click submit on the screen that asks for my birth date.

4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• HPWUrobertHPWUrobert Posts: 623 admin
    #219 June, 2020, 07:16 pm.

When you say updated phone, do you mean the OS or did you get a new phone? When the app crashes after the birthdate selection screen, it usually indicates that the app got corrupted somehow. In most cases I've seen, it happens when updating the OS or transferring files to a brand new phone.

• SarahWildeSarahWilde Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #320 June, 2020, 04:44 am.

I updated the OS then it kept crashing so I deleted the app.

• SarahWildeSarahWilde Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #428 June, 2020, 03:01 pm.

Is there no hope?

#530 June, 2020, 06:20 pm.

@SarahWilde you will need to restore the OS, then update to the latest update. You can't restore from backup or else you'd restore the corrupted app state.

• PhyrwhypPhyrwhyp Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #630 June, 2020, 09:21 pm.

I have the same problem - crashes right after the date screen. Note it’s the same phone I’ve been using for a couple years now. :) No phone updates, latest version of the app. Have uninstalled/reinstalled it, rebooted phone - no difference. Also iPhone 7

#702 July, 2020, 04:30 am.

So, I’ve been playing for over a year. Two days ago, the game suddenly asked me for my birthday again like initial registration, and then promptly crashed. I’ve gone through the iOS troubleshooting steps (reboot, delete & reinstall, reset safari history, etc) - nothing.

Note - I didn’t update my phone or do anything else that I can think of that would cause a change.

Any suggestions? The game still works on my iPad, but isn’t very useful as it’s not exactly as portable, or have data service.

#802 July, 2020, 05:48 pm.

When did you update to 13.5? Can you update to 13.5.1 which is the latest OS version for your phone. If you haven't updated your OS yet, delete the HPWU app from OS settings first, then try updating the OS to see if it helps.

• seanttaylorseanttaylor Posts: 1
    #902 July, 2020, 07:06 pm.

I am having the same issue. iOS 13.5.1 on iPhone X. I've tried deleting the app under iPhone storage with no luck.

#1002 July, 2020, 07:28 pm.

I updated to 13.5 a while ago... many weeks at least, I don’t remember the exact date. I don’t really want to update the OS at the moment (waiting for testing against 13.5.1 on another app I use). I don’t suppose you have any other options? :)

• TrucHclewTrucHclew Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #1105 July, 2020, 04:43 pm.

This just started happening to me last night as well. iPhone 7+. IOS 13.5.1. The app just dies on start up. I was playing during the day, then stopped or July 4th food with family, then later at night I tried to open the app to play some, and it would not open. Power cycle the phone, no change. Delete and reinstall the app, no change except now it asks or my birthday, then dies. Also noticed the same bug happens for Ingress Prime, and Pokemon Go. None of the Niantic apps will start for me or some reason. No other apps on my phone have shown an issue. I have not yet been able to try to log on with a different device (don't have another phone or device to use).

I'm not aware of any upgrade that were installed on the phone, but I have automatic updates turned on so something could have happened.

Also tried with both wifi (Verizon Fios), and phone data (T-Mobil). Same with either.

• TrucHclewTrucHclew Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #1205 July, 2020, 05:42 pm.

I fixed my problem. It was an issue with the language configuration of the phone that crashed the Niantic apps. I had added additional keyboards on the phone or Japanese and Arabic and then removed them. But under the Settings->General->Language & Region page it was still showing Arabic as an alternate language to English even though I had removed the Arabic keyboard. Under General->Keyboard I added the Arabic keyboard back, then removed it and this cleared it up. Arabic was no longer listed as an extra language on the other settings page, and all three of the Niantic apps would start normally again.

#1306 July, 2020, 07:36 pm.

Hey Truchclew - thank you very much! I also had a second language installed (French) = removing it did the trick!

This discussion has been closed.