Master Notes and Knight Bus Suggestions

WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 30 June, 2020, 04:25 am.

Firstly let's start with potion master notes.

Is there any way to change the triple tap (healing potion) with anything else. A triple tap on my screen zoom in. Once it's zoomed, pressing 3 quick times takes me back to normal size.

I use a Samsung and have difficulties with my eyesight so have enabled the accessibility settings to make my screen time easier.

I believe this accessibility would affect all Samsung users that need to use accessible features. The only way I can enter the master notes is by going into settings and turning accessibility off.

Now, the Knight Bus. For those attempting to find their friends for remote battling. Something as simple as a bus number might suffice. Failing that a chamber number. I think the bus number would be preferable as it allows instant jumping off the bus whilst you await the bus you desire.

@hpwulola

Comments

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #217 June, 2020, 11:11 am.
  • SeverusVIISeverusVII Posts: 23 ✭✭
    #319 June, 2020, 07:56 am.

For the bus, an “invite friends” option would surely be best, where you can invite specific friends to the same fortress lobby as you.

• MorganzaMorganza Posts: 33 ✭✭
    #420 June, 2020, 06:16 pm.

Severusvii, forums like this are a lot more useful if each thread stays on one topic. Find a thread asking for a fortress invite system to comment on if you want your opinion to be heard.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #521 June, 2020, 12:04 pm.

@Morganza the title of the topic is "Master Notes and Knight Bus Suggestions". In the OP a suggestion was made about adding bus numbers to help one find friends in the Knight Bus fortress.

So I don't understand how @SeverusVII's comment about a friend invite system for the Knight Bus could be considered off topic.

As for the discussion at hand, lots of people have had ideas about how to make finding friends on the Knight Bus more user friendly. I definitely would like to see that as well. However, the pessimist in me expects that eventually (post covid) the Knight Bus will be limited in some way so people will still have a reason to go out and use local fortresses. So we might get an ability to battle with friends, but only once or twice per day (for example).

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #621 June, 2020, 12:36 pm.

@MtPollux

Based on my experience, a conversation is more easily followed the more narrow its topic is. A conversation without any restriction to topic is almost impossible to follow - or even draw a conclusion on.

Further, Feature Requests require a "conclusion" or "consensus" in order to be transformed into an actual feature - or at least a "task" for developers.

So I would to some extend agree with @Morganza that an unfocussed Thread like this is far less likely to succeed than one per Idea, especially since the interest in individual ideas in a "collection thread" is nigh-impossible to measure.

Therefore I would recommend to start a new thread per suggestion - with a very limited and narrow focus.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #721 June, 2020, 01:22 pm.

@Lucoire the comment wasn't about whether the topic was sufficiently narrowly focused, it was about a response not being on topic. The fact that the OP may have included too many different topics is a different discussion. The point is that the response DID in fact reply to part of what the OP wrote, so it was not off topic.

#821 June, 2020, 01:24 pm.

@MtPollux Admited, apologies. 😅

#926 June, 2020, 10:48 am.

Wow, just wow. The knight bus numbering was added as an afterthought.

The aim of this post is to point out that Niantic have created apps that fail to comply with ADA, WCAG 2 or the CVAA.

Don't worry, it only affects the disabled so feel free to go about your business. #doesntaffectmesonotmyproblem

#1026 June, 2020, 11:06 am.

The aim of this post is to point out that Niantic have created apps that fail to comply with ADA, WCAG 2 or the CVAA.

@WerewolfChaser As far as I know, the app is developed by WB Games, while Niantic only provided the POI infrastructure 😉

#1126 June, 2020, 12:51 pm.

@Lucoire That may be so but the fact remains that it's non compliant with disability regulations.

Pogo is in the same boat and if I recall correctly that is developed by Niantic.

I have a legally blind friend, level 40 in Pogo who really struggles with the settings.

Surely best practise would be inclusive, even if it's not legally required. I have only found the master notes causing the issue in HPWU. Best practise would be not to use a motion that signals an accessibility function on Android phones?

Or should I, perhaps, sit in the corner and say "Oh well, it doesn't affect me".

I will add that I use this accessibility option. It's normally too much trouble to change settings for 1 master note.

#1226 June, 2020, 02:06 pm.

Or should I, perhaps, sit in the corner and say "Oh well, it doesn't affect me".

No. It's good of you to speak up about it.

However I would also like to add that a lot of people (myself included) can't add anything to the conversation due to a severe lack of insight into the perspective of disabilities. So I would encourage you to continue pointing out issues with disabilities and accessibility options - and maybe even suggest alternatives that you've encountered in other applications. 🙂

• Stina1AStina1A Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    #1326 June, 2020, 03:46 pm.

I think a lot of people didn’t post because they didn’t have a good solution. To assume we don’t care is just as dismissive as you feel lack of responses have been. Though I don’t have a lot of experience myself nor an Android, happy to speak up on your and others behalf.

I know many of my other apps have a colorblind option. This wouldn’t help those who are legally blind, but I wish they would have one for pogo/WU. It’s rather heartbreaking to see my friend try to spin the same stop over and over because he doesn’t realize it’s purple. I like that WU uses the smoke and has a timer.

It’s interesting that Samsung zooms when you tap in game. For iPhone, the “pinch” in and out (double arrows in master notes) zooms, but in game it recognizes that you are doing master notes and doesn’t zoom (though it’s not an accessibility feature). I think it’s a great feature request to ask for a change, and a very good point that accessibility settings should be taken into account. Perhaps they did not test those settings, and hopefully your post will serve to highlight the importance of that.

#1427 June, 2020, 05:44 pm.

@Stina1A I never expect people to post if they have nothing to contribute.

I was getting upset with people disagreeing about the post making me feel the need to justify my position.

Nobody should have to justify a suggestion that they believe will make the game safer, more enjoyable etc. It is their opinion and that's fine. I just wish some would refrain from posting that make other people feel unworthy and having to justify anything. Especially when you have discussed with the person how their comments have been making you feel.

The setting occurs with 3 quick taps of the screen. Some potions I never make so I'm not sure whether other potions are also affected. It just strikes me as unusual to make an app that actually makes disabled players unable to perform regular game functions without opening up settings to remove accessibility options and then going back to redo the settings. This is made more troublesome by the app being full screen. I have seen screenshots from iPhones that somehow aren't full screen. When I play I am unable to see the time, battery life or even if the phone is charging. I've resorted to downloading an app that I have set to outline my screen when the phone is charging. I've tried many things to force tge game from full screen without success.

Interesting about the colour blind. Pogo stops go from blue to pink. Blue/red combo. Ouch for the colour blind. I do love the visual of smoke coming from the inns.

A lot of my issues arise from the text font and lack of contrast on the profile page. Yes I love the font but I need more contrast to be able to read it.

Anyway, I doubt the developers are concerned. @hpwulola didn't pop in. I reached out to them on Twitter with no response

• MorganzaMorganza Posts: 33 ✭✭
    #1528 June, 2020, 06:42 pm.

A larger solution for Master Notes:

In the config, have radio buttons on a list of gestures; you'd disable triple-tap, I'd disable shake, someone playing with one finger might disable pinch and zoom. (Disable too many gestures and your sequences start getting longer , like the way languages with fewer consonants tend to have longer words.)

Then have each wizard have a personal set of master notes that they need to figure out by trial and error instead of just looking them up on the web.

Game gets more interesting for everyone and mechanically easier for those with disabilities.

#1629 June, 2020, 02:49 pm.

@WerewolfChaser Any and every opinion is welcome - even those that disagree. The truth doesn't just consist of one perspective that's why every conversation is better for containing both sides.

As I've said before, it is good of you to speak up about issues like this - because I and many others could not have due to our lack of perspective.

As for "justifying your suggestion", maybe that's just my perspective but nobody challenged your suggestion. There was no need to justify or defend it.

Nobody here disagreed with what you said, critisized or pointed out; the only "disagreement" I noticed was the observation that threads focussed on only 1 topic are more successful than threads that include several unrelated topics but that was in no way a criticism or challenge to your suggestions, merely the way you presented them - and it even was a constructive criticism, recommending a way to further improve.

The world is more than just metaphorically black and white, there's more than just "pro and contra", there's people like me who are curious to learn more before making up their mind. So when I ask questions, it isn't meant as a challenge or opposition - it is intended as curiousity, as interest, as an opportunity to present your view in the best and most detailed view possible.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1730 June, 2020, 04:25 am.

So @WerewolfChaser , have you tried one slow tap, a pause and then two more taps? or tapping at random intervals? On my Sony, it often takes me 4 or 5 taps simply because my hands are always ice cold and my phone doesn't always register my fingers. I've also noticed that I am able to vary the timing of my taps and that helps. Not knowing how your samsung works... it might be worth a try?