New Fortress-Floors: BOSS

LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 26 October, 2020, 09:44 pm.

During the "Day of the Dragon"-Event, Niantic teased a new type of Fortress-Encounter. I'd like them to make a slightly changed but more permanent return.

Disclaimer:

• This is a brainstorming. Constructive Feedback is appreciated.
  • This idea is to some extened based on THIS thread by @Owlx. If considered a duplicate, please merge (@hpwulola)

The idea:

• 4 new Floors: Ruins - BOSS, Tower - BOSS, Forest - BOSS, Dark - BOSS
  • The encounter consists of a single elite Enemy. No sources for (additional) Focus - aside from Invigoration-Potions.
  • These Bosses are iconic and notoriously challenging Foes from the Wizarding World: Dragons, Dementors, Basilisks, Chimera, Elder Vampires, Fenrir Greyback, Dolores Umbridge, Aragog, Gellert Grindelwald
  • They are (unless a "named" version of an already existing Foe Type) neither Proficient nor Deficient to any of the 3 Professions
  • They reward unique Fragments that can't be found anywhere else

Additionally, to make it more interesting, I thought about a different way of "unlocking" (optional idea):

• You need 5 Keys to unlock the BOSS-Chamber
  • Each of the "other" Floors with the same group drop 1 Key each: I, II, III, IV, V
  • You can only have one of those keys at any time in your inventory
  • All 5 Keys are consumed upon successfully defeating the encounter - locking the floor again

Note:

• Due to the "unlocking" mechanic it is difficult to "farm" these fragments
  • A group that wants to enter need 5 keys EACH.

Comments

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #218 May, 2020, 04:54 pm.

Just fix the combat system then the current chambers will be more fit for purpose

• RazorgirlRazorgirl Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    #319 May, 2020, 02:02 am.

This sounds like a overly complicated way to introduce PoGo Raids into WU.

I feel like Elite Foes fill the place of a Boss Fight in Fortress Challenges.

That said, I would like to see more Foes introduced. I assume that more Fortress Chambers are coming once more Lessons are released, and that these will have more Foes, perhaps like the Dark Witch and Basilisk, once we have Lessons that are relevant to them.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #419 May, 2020, 06:50 am.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and support, @Razorgirl

I appreciate your uplifting thoughts and help to improve my suggestion.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #519 May, 2020, 07:27 pm.

It would be nice to see the re-introduction of the dark witch and dark ministry official back in the fortresses, as well as the Basilisk. My guess is that those posters in the challenge registry will amount to something in the coming year anniversary as they have been beefing up play levels of all and abilities.

The keys are an interesting idea... however i would be worried about how play would be affected if you are trying to do this with a random group... FWIW. Similar to how some dark 5 experiences were for a number of players during the recent CD with carrying sometimes 2 or 3 lower level teammates. If you work that hard to get a key and then "throw it away" on a hope that the randoms you're working with are capable, I think you will find a lot of very upset players.

#619 May, 2020, 07:40 pm.

If you work that hard to get a key and then "throw it away" on a hope that the randoms you're working with are capable, I think you will find a lot of very upset players.

@Bormacska That's precisely why I suggested to not consume the Keys upon failure - only on Success.

#719 May, 2020, 07:49 pm.

my bad... my dyslexia kicks in and i miss words sometimes!!😏

#819 May, 2020, 08:22 pm.

@Bormacska Don't worry about it. Thank you for your thoughtful contribution.

My guess is that those posters in the challenge registry will amount to something in the coming year anniversary as they have been beefing up play levels of all and abilities.

I hadn't thought about that, thanks. That being said, I hope that my suggestion could fit into any plan that they may already have.

#919 May, 2020, 08:29 pm.

@Lucoire It appears they do read the forum and take into consideration our suggestions, hence the shift in prestiging and fragment counts... but the time it takes from suggestion to implementation is a bigger issue and one that is much harder than many realize. It is also very dependant upon the way they have written their code. So our best bet is to cross our fingers and find a little felix felicis to drink just in case!

• RexHav0cRexHav0c Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    edited May 20 #1020 May, 2020, 04:34 am.

Is this system aimed at solo play?

If so, I could certainly see Bosses up through Forest, but I don't think the Devs currently consider the Dark chambers to be something to solo. That will most likely change when new lesson plans are introduced and the profession level cap is raised.

I'm not certain how to feel about this because if you ran into a foe you are deficient in, and presumably the Bosses are higher difficulty that any normal Elite foe, I think they might one hit a level 15 of any profession. Currently Forest Elites can probably take over 1/3rd of your health per attack.

If this system is not solely aimed at solo play, and there is only one Boss, what are the other 4 members of the group doing when it is engaged by one player? Does the Boss have the ability to damage all players, or just one? Would this system be better saved as a completely new feature separate from the "normal" chamber system needing its own mechanics?

#1120 May, 2020, 09:08 am.

@hpwulola could I bother you to have a look at my comment that just entered moderation? 😥

#1220 May, 2020, 01:34 pm.

@RexHav0c Thank you for your Questions and Thoughts.

Solo / Group:

I would say that Bosses as as much "soloable" as the other chambers they're associated with. Even DARK-V can be soloed - assuming you brought a metric ton of potions and are prepared to use them non-stop.

But your question has another aspect to it:

Currently, the amount of "actual colaboration" required to succeed in a Challenge increases the higher the chamber you select, with

• Ruins requiring absolutely no colaboration (to the point where you could easily have someone be fully afk and still succeed),
    • Tower requiring players to "be somewhat active",
    • Forest requiring players to have understood "Proficiency" + "Deficiency"
    • Dark requiring players to be aware of and use their strategic spells

The Bosses themselves would take that sentiment and turn it up to eleven.

Strategy:

Currently, each class has 1 strategic Spell that doesn't require Focus:

• "Mending Charm" - restoring 4 Stamina (Professor + Magizoologist)
    • "Bat-Bogey Hex" - reduce Foe Stamina by 2 (Auror)

Under "normal" circumstances, these spells are rarely used - a Boss-Fight however where only 1 Player can actively fight would provide a good opportunity to use them.

Also, each Profession has "preparation"- Spells:

• "Bravery Charm" - Enhance Power vs Elite Foes +150% (MZ, Team, Group)
    • "Proficiency Power Charm" - Enhance Team Proficiency Power +44% (PR, Team, Group)
    • "Protection Charm" - Enhance Teammate Defence +30% (PR, Team, Single)
    • "Deterioration Hex" - Impairis Foe Stamina each time they attack or defend +40 (PR, Enemy, Single)
    • "Weakening Hex" - Impair Foe Power +50% (Auror, Enemy, Single)
    • "Confusion Hex" - Impair Foe Defence, Dodge, Defence Breach +60% (Auror, Enemy, Single)

Some of these might not necessarily be a good idea for a Boss, others might. It encourages players to learn more about the Bosses, their own spells and how they interact. Example:

• a "Proficiency Power Charm" is useless against a Boss that isn't proficient or deficient against any Profession
    • a "Confusion Hex" is useless against a Boss that has neither Dodge, nor Defence, nor Defence Breach
    • a "Protection Charm" is useless on a Team-Mate that doesn't fight the only available Enemy.
    • a "Bravery Charm" is useless against non-elite Enemies

As such, Bosses might be a good opportunity to teach players about resourcefulness in terms of focus.

Also, a coordinated Group of Professor, Auror, Magizoologist can make a Professor or Magizoologist nigh-invulnerable. But can they do it in a scenario where focus is scarce? Do they understand that "invulnerability"-mechanic well enough to use it against an Enemy with super-charged stats (like more than 60% Defence Breach)?

Does the Auror understand the Strategic Spells of his Team-Members well enough to decide which of them needs Focus the most?

Do the Professions understand their role - as in Highest-Powered Attacker, Highest-Defence+Stamina Tank - well enough to swap between rounds?

Stats of Bosses

To provide different Scenarios that players would have to master, I've thought about a couple of examples:

Notorious Death Eater
    • medium stamina
    • uses unforgivable curses (thereby 1-hit-defeating players)
    • requires round-swapping during the "protego"-round to make the most use of the number of team-members

Elder Dragon
    • medium defence, medium stamina
    • occasional fire-breath that doesn't do a lot of damage but ignores defence
    • High power but no Defence Breach (aside from the occasional Fire Breath)
    • requires "invuln"-combo and using "Mending Charm" on CD

Aragog
    • metric ton of health
    • metric ton of power
    • no defensive or "supporting" Stats (like defence breach)
    • requires "invulnerability"-combo, "Proficiency Power Charm", using "Deterioration Hex" + "Weakening Hex" and using "Bat-Bogey Hex" on CD

Elder Pixie
    • almost no stamina
    • insane amount of power - can easily 1-hit Aurors if given the chance
    • insane amount of dodge (but no other "defensive" or "supporting" stats)
    • difficult tracing-pattern
    • requires skillful tracing, "Confusion Hex" and "Proficiency Power Charm"

Elder Vampire
    • High Health
    • Heals himself each by 20% time he deals "actual" damage
    • requires "Invulnerability Combo"

Merman
    • Medium Health
    • Medium Power
    • REALLY short Challenge-Timer
    • requires Potions

Dementor
    • attacks first
    • high health
    • medium power
    • no defence
    • reduces player-stats by 10% with each round that the player is in combat (debuff stacks and lasts for 3 "rounds")
    • requires player-swapping to get rid of the debuff

Are there other combinations that you can think of?

• HPWUblueHPWUblue Posts: 822 mod
    #1320 May, 2020, 01:36 pm.

@Lucoire there ya go~ Sorry for the delay.

#1418 October, 2020, 11:38 am.

Bump 😘

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭
    #1518 October, 2020, 11:49 am.

How about"strategic spell only for bosses"?

#1618 October, 2020, 11:53 am.

@Kodokmag

Maybe but I think that would be too complex. Part of me still wants to provide more opportunities for players to (learn more about and) master the already existing strategic spells, since I still regularly encounter people who misuse them.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭
    #1718 October, 2020, 11:59 am.

@Lucoire yeah, the unorthodox of hpwu combat play such as reduce defense debuff (confusion hex) which in other games always works on all enemy while in hpwu only works on certain enemies. 🙄

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    #1826 October, 2020, 02:17 pm.

Sounds way too complicated, just add more floors and new foes, new rune lvls and new challenge pages as well as FINALLY some new profession lesson plans.

#1926 October, 2020, 06:44 pm.

@Drakonite Aside from the "Lesson plan", your suggestion is boring, bland: just more of what people have already have seen more than enough of.

edited 26 October, 2020, 07:51 pm #2026 October, 2020, 07:51 pm.

your suggestion sounds boring to me, pogo + raids sound excessively boring to me. No tyvvm

#2126 October, 2020, 09:26 pm.

@Drakonite If that is your take on the Thread, then you haven't read it thoroughly. Shame, I would have welcomed constructive input...

#2226 October, 2020, 09:36 pm.

I did read it quite thoroughly and my idea was "why does she/he want to transform HPWU into POGO? if they like pogo so much....wait pogo exists!"

I just want my new profession plans, new fort foes, new rune lvls and new fort floors, I stopped having any kind of 'high' expectations from this game's devs about....exactly a year ago. It should be easy enough even for them to create more of what they already have in-game w/o destroying it...completely.

#2326 October, 2020, 09:44 pm.

@Drakonite

The Combat Gameplay in HPWU and PoGO are distinctly different.

"Raids" in PoGO is "All players attacking the Boss simultaneously with their Pokemon".

Combat in HPWU is more about the use of strategic spells, potions, enemy-selection and supporting each other during the challenge.

My suggestion respects what HPWU does differently than Pokemon, intentionally. So I'm a little lost how you've reached the conclusion that my suggestion would want to copy Pokemon.