Adventure Sync 101 & Troubleshooting

hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 944 admin
in Tips & Tricks #1 latest comment 01 June, 2020, 07:25 am.

Hi everyone! As Version 2.9.0 continues to roll out, I know many of you are excited and curious to learn more about the Adventure Sync feature. Our Help Center has great content about this (+many other topics) and I wanted to pass it along ☺️

Adventure Sync is an optional mode that records your kilometers walked even while the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite app isn’t open. Using Apple Health or Google Fit, Adventure Sync allows you to stay active and unlock Portmanteaus without significantly impacting your device’s battery life. 

Activating Adventure Sync

To use Adventure Sync, you’ll have to allow Harry Potter: Wizards Unite to access your location even when you’re not using the app and connect the app with either the Apple Health app or with the Google Fit app.

1. Tap the Suitcase menu from the Map
  2. Tap the Setting  button in the top left corner of the screen
  3. Scroll down and tap to enable the  setting. You'll be prompted to grant location permissions for . You will also be prompted to allow Harry Potter: Wizards Unite  to access to your distance data for either Apple Health or Google Fit.

Note: In order for this feature to track location in the background, you must opt to share your location with the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite app at all times (even when the app is closed). 

If you play multiple Niantic titles with Adventure Sync enabled:

As long as your accounts share a login method, your distance traveled will match across the games. Even if you play on multiple devices, your distance will not get double-counted or overwritten. 

If there’s a discrepancy between the Adventure Sync distance reported from different games, you’ll get credit for the highest distance. For instance, if you have both Pokémon GO and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite installed and Pokémon GO tracks a higher distance than Harry Potter: Wizards UniteHarry Potter: Wizards Unite will credit you with your distance from Pokémon GO.

FAQ & Troubleshooting

Adventure Sync isn’t tracking my fitness progress

• Enable Location Services: Make sure your device’s location permissions are set to always allow Harry Potter: Wizards Unite to access your location even while the app is closed. Devices without location settings or GPS will not be able to use Adventure Sync.
  • Connect the Google Fit or Apple Health App: The Harry Potter: Wizards Unite app must be connected to either Google Fit or Apple Health in order to track your distance walked. Open the Google Fit or Apple Health app to ensure that your device is properly recording your fitness activity and that the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite app is connected:

Adventure Sync is only crediting me with a portion of my distance traveled

• The game may not always show the most up-to-date distance you walked. Players can expect a delay of up to several hours for the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite app to sync with Apple Health or Google Fit and accurately track your activity. Restarting the game may help push your fitness data and expedite this process. 
  • Your phone’s battery saver modes can disable the sensors needed for Adventure Sync and may interfere with the functionality of this feature. Make sure you disable battery-saving modes while using Adventure Sync. 
  • Google Fit app only: Power-saving settings may interfere with Adventure Sync. Ensure this Google Fit app setting is disabled.
  • Fitness data that is manually entered into Apple Health or Google Fit will not count towards your Adventure Sync progress.

How do I disable Adventure Sync?

To disable Adventure Sync from the app: 

1. Tap the Suitcase 
  2. Tap the  Settings button in the top left corner
  3. Toggle the ‘Adventure Sync’ setting to off

Check out the full Troubleshooting article here:

https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/hpwizardsunite/?p=web&s=troubleshooting&f=troubleshooting-adventure-sync

Tagged:

Comments

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #229 January, 2020, 09:50 pm.

Thanks so much @HPWULola! Quick question: when you say disable your device’s battery saver mode, does that also include the battery saver mode within HPWU?

#329 January, 2020, 10:07 pm.

FYI here are a few screenshots (from iPhone) that just popped up on my game with instructions for enabling Adventure Sync:

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 944 admin
    #429 January, 2020, 10:33 pm.

@MrSciGuy Great question! This only applies to your phone's battery saver mode.

The app battery saver mode is what dims the phone screen when the phone is held upside down (assumed to be in your pocket/to your side.)

edited January 30 #529 January, 2020, 10:39 pm.

Ok that’s what I figured @HPWULola. I guess if we’re using adventure sync then we most likely don’t need the battery saver mode within HPWU anyway, as we’ll be walking now with screens off (woo **** o! 🥳)

Post edited by hpwulola on
  • CBG92CBG92 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    #630 January, 2020, 10:52 pm.

I have the option to track everything while the app is closed turned on and I’m not sure it’s working. Hoping it just takes a bit to catch up!

#730 January, 2020, 10:54 pm.

@CBG92 I know on iPhone it seems to help to force close the Health app then open it back up again. It seems to update your distance. But it does seem to take a little bit to sync over to WU.

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    #830 January, 2020, 10:55 pm.

Hmmm, I suppose I can try it

• TheNiftyNifflerTheNiftyNiffler Posts: 1
    #931 January, 2020, 08:07 am.

So I have done all of these things to make adventure sync work, it's working on pokemon go, open google fit and it says 1.6km but nothing on wizards unite. Google fit says it is linked, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but no luck. Also waited well over half a day in case it was just a time thing. Battery saving is disabled, gps allowed etc

• SlythrinMomSlythrinMom Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1031 January, 2020, 06:59 pm.

Hi, I'm on a Galaxy S8. I've done all the stuff, Google Fit is connected, but I'm getting zero tracking. Everything I've seen is emphasizing the location at all times screen, but I can't find that on my phone. I can only find a general location sharing. Any advice would be super helpful.

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭
    #1131 January, 2020, 08:13 pm.

I am curious why location has to be set to always on if it’s tracking steps taken. Having the location set to always on eats battery power, maybe not as much as having the game on but more than I like with my phone’s not-so-great battery. Is there a reason why it needs to know my location for steps to be counted?

• EarithramirEarithramir Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1231 January, 2020, 09:05 pm.

Hi Niantic! Are you able to either allow the use of wearables such as Fitbit? If not, are you able to allow the data sync transfer from Fitbit to google fit? Adventure sync is a great feature...but I have a Fitbit for my Samsung phone (that already has S Heatlth) and I definitely don't want to have to download ANOTHER fitness app just for this! :( I know it's not currently possible, but it would be great if you could put it on your radar to add as a feature.

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭
    #1305 February, 2020, 12:11 am.

@HPWULola I posted this and didn’t get a response so I am reposting with a call out to you. 🙂

“I am curious why location has to be set to always on if it’s tracking steps taken. Having the location set to always on eats battery power, maybe not as much as having the game on but more than I like with my phone’s not-so-great battery. Is there a reason why it needs to know my location for steps to be counted?”

#1405 February, 2020, 01:30 am.

To add to that @HPWULola can I also ask why it needs to be able to write data to my Health app? I can understand reading data to see distance, but why to write it? Thanks!

• C4tmonsterC4tmonster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    #1506 February, 2020, 09:26 pm.

This feature was working perfectly and suddenly stopped working. Followed your guide at the top to confirm nothing had changed, including permissions and I can now only get distance tracked while I have the battery draining app open at all times. I was overjoyed when they introduced this feature but it looks like it is about as reliable as the pokemon go equivalent :(

• Salem70caSalem70ca Posts: 1
    #1607 February, 2020, 07:42 pm.

Adventure sync is not working correctly. I have been testing the accuracy between the Apple health app and the portmanteaus. My recent test today acknowledged two 1km portmanteaus vs the Apple health app 6.4km. I have done everything suggested from battery saver mode off, location services and waiting for the updates between the apps. This suggestion puzzles me for the following reason. If I am walking off a 1km portmanteaus but the apps have hours of delays we will not unlock the portmanteaus in a timely matter to put the gold key in another 1km portmanteaus and what will happen is exactly what happen today. This is frustrating to say the least. I should have gotten credit to walked off 6 1 km portmanteaus today vs the 2 the app acknowledged.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭
    #1710 February, 2020, 08:44 pm.

Since I play on an iPad, even the health option isn’t there in settings. Perhaps I should start a different thread for this but for some reason I feel self-conscious. (I ain’t rich. The iPad is my dad’s old one and my phone can’t even download WU)

But, were I to get a wearable, what is a good cheap watch (it’ll definitely not have an apple OS) that could somehow sync up with AS on my pad? Bonus if it’s waterproff, in case swimming counts. The only exercise I like. Please give me suggestions! *puppy eyes*

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1810 February, 2020, 09:14 pm.

The problem is that the good, cheap wearables I know of sync with their own apps, not Apple or Google. I use an Honor Band 4, ut that doesn't work for Adventure Sync.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1911 February, 2020, 10:38 pm.

I responded on another thread to you as well @LeFayeofAlbion , but you can always look for secondary apps that will sync to google fit or apple health. ok, scratch all of that. quick research states that ipads don't sync up to much in the way of health and fitness unless you want to jump rope or swing a kettlebell. oof. 🤔

#2014 February, 2020, 04:22 pm.

@Bormacska oof is right! 😓

#2114 February, 2020, 04:54 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion... So I didn't see this posted with the new update here, but if you scroll down to the AS portion... It may be a while before ipads have any hope. 😥

Per Fazes:

Known Issues: 

Achievements: 

- The “Friends Listed I: Have 1 Friend in your Friends List” Achievement only updates when both players restart the app

Adventure Sync:

- Samsung tablets do not sync with Google Fit 

- iPads will experience an infinite load when attempting to turn Adventure Sync on 

- Android 10 Only: App will restart when attempting to enable Adventure Sync when GPS is turned off

Portmanteaus: 

- The amount of recently acquired Portmanteaus may differ from than the badged amount reported with the Portkey button

Greenhouses: 

- When returning to the game, players may receive an error message if they background the app for 30 secs while in a Greenhouse 

Potions: 

- Players may be unable to collect a Potion from Potion Brewing if their device transitions to mobile data from Wifi. Restart the app to collect the Potion.

Ministry ID:

- Android 10 Only: Player may only see a black screen in their Portrait when they attempt to use an Animated Sticker or Frame

Inns: 

- Rewards flow may show Players receiving Spell Energy even though their Energy capacity is full

SOS Assignments: 

- Players may receive awards related to SOS Assignments, such as Pixie Wings, even if they have not unlocked the corresponding assignment 

Traces: 

- Tapping on a Trace that appears outside the range of the Magical Me may give Players an error message 

Wizarding Challenges: 

- Players may not receive the Level Up rewards screen if they Level Up after a Wizarding Challenge. Players will still Level Up and rewards will still be granted. 

- Some players may experience a delay when tapping into a Chamber

#2214 February, 2020, 06:11 pm.

@Bormacska sigh.

I dunno if it’s because of the iPad that my portmanteaus take ages to unlock even with a lot of walking. But would explain it. Just hope there’s some sort of solution before summer so that swimming will count.

#2303 March, 2020, 07:06 pm.

And AS for the win yet again. Missed the bonus because my Portkey read my 1.8 mi (almost 3k) walk this morning as 0.2km! Don't know why I even bothered. Grr. 🙄

• HPWUblueHPWUblue Posts: 803 mod
    edited March 3 #2403 March, 2020, 08:00 pm.

I'm sorry to hear that @Bormacska I've noticed from your earlier posts that you too use the FitToFit app to sync your activities with Google Fit.

If you're still using it, a recent post by @Owlx might interest you. Please have a glance!

#2503 March, 2020, 10:18 pm.

@HPWUblue my fit to fit isn't set to automatically sync for the same reason. I also have my phone on me when I'm on the elliptical as Google fit doesn't always work so wonderfully.

It is what it is. It just leaves me frustrated as someone from the community who was hoping that AS would help those of us who for which walking long distances is difficult due to injuries and disabilities.

I'm not like most in that sitting isn't a good option, so I can't do the slow drive. This morning's walk will probably leave me with nerve pain in my leg that won't calm down for about two days to something tolerable. I just wish I could have foreseen that it would be a wasted effort and not have attempted. My bad. 🙄

• HANFINAT0RHANFINAT0R Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #2602 April, 2020, 06:43 pm.

Apple Watch doesn’t seem to give any distance (regardless of you ran on a treadmill or outside) if you use a workout activity to track your workouts. Portkeys only unlock with random steps you collect

• BuntingBabyBuntingBaby Posts: 2
    #2701 June, 2020, 07:25 am.

My wife & I are playing on an iPhone 7 & an iPhone XSMax. I’ve got an Apple Watch s4 in the Max.

Ever since upgrading to iOS 13.4 we both have issues on Adv Sync which had always been working since it was released. Sometime after upgrade but not immediately, we both get the Adv Sync Enable Permissions screen. After the Location is set to always (it was already set to always), I get to this screen:

Our Adv Sync has been working flawlessly until now, so going to the Health app and navigating to these screens:

Note that it’s these sparse screens that appear and not the usually detailed one like in this Heart Analyzer app:

Nothing we do works, rebooting, flushing memory, cold reboot, etc. only uninstalling/reinstalling the HPWU app fixes this. We then have to re-enable Adv Sync and it works. But even then after about 3-5 days, it happens all over again. We’ve installed/uninstalled maybe 5x each in the past few weeks, and I was hoping that the new iOS 13.5 would fix it, but it hasn’t.

PLEASE HELP!