UK our own little fanfest/meet-up

Comments

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #3216 December, 2019, 09:28 am.

@AuroraKadavra - A good start to the day!

Mine is about to start 😀

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3319 December, 2019, 12:41 am.

If we come over, it's looking like Oct-Nov for us. We haven't bought our tickets yet, but getting close to settling it. I'll be sure to let you know when it's done, but it looks like we'll miss the spring get together. BUT, I still want to read all the details and live vicariously through you all! :)

#3419 December, 2019, 02:51 pm.

@Dogoutlaw - Would be great to meet you. I expect to have accommodation available near Birmingham if you are interested

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3520 December, 2019, 03:17 pm.

@Dogoutlaw id be coming to see u no matter when or where it is!!! Lol. No way I'm missing that chance!

Its ok if people can't all get around the same time, we can do little trips to meet up anyway.

Thinking for the Studios get-together its seeming like the summer school holidays might b the best time for most, as @Dewin99 and @Imaginatio I think have both said it would need to be out of term time.

There's the possibility of the half term hol in May, whatever suits most best.

But whenever u are coming @Dogoutlaw I definitely want to see u! 😀❤

• BunnyHopsBunnyHops Posts: 9
    #3624 December, 2019, 02:30 pm.

New to the forum, so feel like I’m jumping into already established online friendships... however I’d be interested in meeting up. Though it’s hard for me to commit to something that far in advance as I have health problems and so do my furkids (which makes getting a pet sitter difficult). But as I’m only in Essex it’s not like I’d need to join in with travel and accommodation plans, as easy enough to make my own way to the studios to meet you there, even if only for one of the days. I went to the studios over 8 years ago now to get my HP geek on for my 30th birthday and I wanted to go to the Yule Ball event they had this year but I was moving house... **** grown up stuff... so if it’s ok to keep an eye on this thread, get to chat with people and then hopefully closer to the time I will be able to have more of an idea of what I can join in with?

#3724 December, 2019, 02:33 pm.

Oh wow, I got asterisked? I didn’t even swear! It makes me look as if I have a foul mouth 🤭🧐

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭
    #3824 December, 2019, 02:44 pm.

It's okay, @BunnyHops The filter on here goes a little over the top. Anything related to violence gets starred out.

#3924 December, 2019, 02:48 pm.

Well I don’t wish to offend anyone, and I know different parts of the world can deem different words as swearing, but I didn’t think saying Da*n was bad, hope it shows up with me moderating it myself so people can realise what I was actually trying to say, haha.

#4024 December, 2019, 02:55 pm.

@BunnyHops Don't worry, we have all been there. Given that we fight fortress battles in the game, we all seem to end up with random words starred out. Us UK folk don't find that word offensive, but my American colleague is always shocked by it!

#4124 December, 2019, 03:05 pm.

@Magpie31 thanks for that as I definitely don’t want to intentionally shock anyone when I’m trying to be mindful of the wording I type. Especially if people then replace that word in their minds with far worse 4 letter words and they then may not want me to come along to a meet up if I have offended anyone. Though I think sometimes there is a generational divide too, when I was growing up it was bad to call someone a ****, if you called someone a cow it was shocking... the B word (dog) was most definitely swearing and not just something easily uttered. Now how my nieces & nephews talk and what they consider just “slang” rather than swearing... my eyeballs nearly pop out of my head at times... I massively digress and must medicate my furkids now before going for a short walk to try and complete the brilliant event.

#4224 December, 2019, 03:11 pm.

@BunnyHops I know what you mean. I used to do some radio stuff when i was younger, at my local hospital, local station and at university. Back then, c*** (another word for ****) and b***** (the word that Ron uses a lot in the films!) were considered swear words by the broadcasting guidelines and couldn't be used on radio. I got such a shock a few years later when I turned on the breakfast show!

Good luck with medicating furkids. Never fun in my house! And enjoy your walk.

#4324 December, 2019, 03:12 pm.

Hahaha.... It starred out the word that I thought was clean enough. It was a toilet related word, though.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭
    #4425 December, 2019, 08:24 pm.

I already miss the UK terribly, this makes me miss it even more. Have loads of fun everyone!

#4525 December, 2019, 11:15 pm.

@AuroraKadavra, myself and friends are meeting at Trafford Centre, Manchester Saturday 28th December 2019 11:00 - 13:00

All are welcome to join us, very informal and totally inclusive

#4627 December, 2019, 10:05 am.

@BunnyHops - ahh welcome to the thread!! And you are most welcome & delighted to have you here!! Some of us have been on the forum since start of july so hzve got to know some people quite well, but with others who are more new, i feel that we get to know them in a flash!! Cos theres often a connection & u just get on well instantly- realise they see the game like u do-and make comments as you would- so we just click so quickly and im sure will become firm friends.

Im very much looking forward to meeting @OriginalCaruso tomorrow, and anyone else who can make it to Manchester.

And i absolutely can't wait to go on the studios tour for my first time (pre-warning i do jump around & squeal a lot in those situations!- maybe put baby reins on me to keep me from rushing off & getting lost 😂😂)

So we now just need the ideal dates from anyine who is thinking of coming along so we can then pick a date & il ring the studios with an approx number of people & get them to alert me if the tickets go down to near our numver of members going so we can confirm and book if need. Does that sound like best thing to do @OriginalCaruso ?

So if the peeps on this thread @Dewin99 @Magpie31 @MrSciGuy & @Radicaldav @Majikum could confirm which would be better for you-

1) doesnt have to be school hols so anytime in April-Sept?

2) needs to be in school hols- so the May half term or from 3rd wk of July- last wk August hols?

If you could confirm 1 or 2 & which is the best month for you then that would be great to get things moving- its not urgent yet of course, but id like us to be able to get a month/week where most of us are free.

For those across the pond- already tagged SciGuy and if anyone else can make it over & you have an approx time of year in mind that would be great if u could comment so I can get a real feel for when the best time is going to be.

Im thinking perhaps last week of July is what most have so far said would be good?

#4727 December, 2019, 10:09 am.

Ps @Magpie31 and @BunnyHops - that's so funny with the ****

How rude you two swearing like troopers on here!! 😂😂😂

Im sure i said on another thread somewhere that the fact they use 4 stars just makes it look even worse and can be hilarious!! When often you've used a totally inoffensive word lol

#4827 December, 2019, 10:10 am.

Hiya. Please don't make plans around me. My school holidays are different to the UK and aren't confirmed yet anyway, but I usually have to fly back to Thailand in the first week of August. There really is no guarantee that I will make it back at all!

#4927 December, 2019, 10:37 am.

No problem at all @Magpie31 we will arrange by as many definite availabilities as we can, and then if others can make it that's great.

If it ends up bein lil ol me on me lonesome- no probs!! Il still love the tour & be squealing at random strangers saying 'omg how cool is that!!?' And such 😂

There's no pressure for anyone- just if u think u can make it sometime next yr to studios & for a bit of team up at fortress- then if u let me know when is best for you I can make it to go then cos my calendar is totally free/flexible 😊

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭
    #5027 December, 2019, 05:25 pm.

@AuroraKadavra Half term would be best for me, but if the majority prefers July/August that’s fine.

I’ve booked 2 weeks in Lanzarote at the end of July/start of August, and have GCSE & A Level results to organise in the middle of August.

It’ll be great to get a chance to meet up and thank everyone in person, and finally complete the ‘3 wizarding challenges with 3 teammates’ SOS challenge! 🤞

#5127 December, 2019, 06:40 pm.

@AuroraKadavra - you won’t be alone!

Whilst it is too early for me to set any dates yet (house move, job situation, life in general etc) I fully expect to be there

#5228 December, 2019, 08:39 am.

Yay! Defo 2 of us then @OriginalCaruso , lets try for the May half term hols I think are seeming best if poss 😊

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    #5328 December, 2019, 11:50 pm.

How was visiting the studio team UK? Visiting there is on my bucket list!!

#5529 December, 2019, 08:13 am.

@AuroraKadavra & @OriginalCaruso Glad to hear that you had a great day, I’m looking forward to getting a chance to meet up with you both soon.

#5629 December, 2019, 12:16 pm.

@Dewin99 it was so lovely to meet up with people that totally understand the childlike glee of this game!! 😀😂

Its not just for kids!!!!!! Lol

Il send tbe story & pic to Lola so she can put it on the thread in their way. Might add some derails for fun- gotta let my creative mind flow! Would be rude not to! Lol.

Very much look forward to meeting u in spring 😊

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    #5729 December, 2019, 03:04 pm.

@AuroraKadavra i too have that childlike glee with anything HP related and most people just don’t get it. I am grateful for this forum as other people are the same about HP. Glad y’all had fun yesterday!!

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 511 admin
    #5803 January, 2020, 06:24 pm.

I'm glad you all had fun!!😍It's so awesome to meet people who share these interests with you!

#5905 January, 2020, 10:55 am.

@OriginalCaruso & @Dewin99 thought best to use this thread ongoing for any uk meet ups?

Then it can stay open & be used even after studios tour meet for any uk get-togethers?

So would Sun 16th Feb be best? That works for me. I think its a few hour drive so about 1pm might be best for myself if that fits?

Il defer to your knowledge of a good spot there Caruso- i don't know Birmingham, just been there for a couple of conferences.

Does that sound ok for yourself Dewin?

So Caruso if u know of a good place il get it in google maps & know travel time then etc...

Will be great to see u again & to meet u Dewin...

And anyone else who would like to join us in Birmingham that day to attack the higher towers with finesse & have a chat & a brew? 😊

#6005 January, 2020, 11:12 am.

Sounds good to me, what about the Bullring as a location maybe?

#6105 January, 2020, 12:21 pm.

@Dewin99 @AuroraKadavra - The best way to get into Birmingham city centre / Bullring is to park at Coleshill Parkway just off M6 and catch the train in. Parking is £2.20 per day and rail fare about £7 return, 13 mins on the train and they run every hour at two minutes past the hour

Parking in city centre is expensive and traffic is bad due to roadworks