update 2.8.0 release - should we do it yet ??

kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 20 December, 2019, 04:13 am.

for iphone users, new update 2.8.0 is available now for download

BUT

apparently there are bugs (what’s new?) introduced by this release

here is a link to brita’s article on the release at

https://wizardsunitehub.info/news/wizards-unite-2-8-0-release-notes/

so, do we update now, or continue playing at 2.7.0 while waiting for possible bug fixes first before updating ??

sure would be nice if @hpwulola or someone on @HPWUTeam can let us know whether we can stay on 2.7.0 without it negatively affecting (or even preventing) gameplay of upcoming events like 12 Tasks of Christmas.

put simply, is updating to 2.8.0 mandatory in order to play 12 Tasks of Christmas ???

thanks in advance for an official answer please.

Comments

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #219 December, 2019, 07:14 am.

Per @HPWUFazes on discord at 10:16am (third sentence down).

@everyone Hi!

We are aware of an issue with the start button giving an error when players tap it to enter a Wizarding Challenge.

This is affecting Android players on the new app version 2.8.0. If you are on 2.7.0, the issue will not affect you.

We will update this thread we know more. Thanks!

Update: We have turned off the Start button for Wizarding Challenges are made the timer 20 secs. We are still working on an overall fix for the Start button.  

#319 December, 2019, 07:26 am.

I know this doesn't answer everything, and yes this forum should be "official channels" for communication by the team, but I am guessing these guys are really crazy busy on days like this.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #419 December, 2019, 08:17 am.

@Bormacska - thank you for sharing the “official” confirmation from @HPWUFazes on “discord”, whatever the heck that is

dead horse beating time: why cannot @HPWUFazes or anyone else on the @HPWUTeam make an announcement - on a timely basis - here on this “official forum”? or are we not hip enough because not all of us tweet or facebook or instagram or disco(rd)? why not have the in-app announcement ... oh nevermind, we have to download a buggy 2.8.0 update to possibly have an in-app announcement telling us there might be bugs. did joseph heller write this script?

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #519 December, 2019, 08:30 am.

@kiheikid Discord is a chat app for gamers. I only discovered it recently as my friends now use that rather than Whatsapp. Still haven't worked out how to find random channels, though.

#619 December, 2019, 08:40 am.

I can't answer any of those things.

I originally came to this forum looking for answers, which in turn led me to try discord when hearing about it. I'm not a reddit fan nor will I go anywhere near Facebook, but I can at least pass on the answers I find elsewhere.

Yes, the updates have all been a bit rough, I'm guessing more for the team than for us the players. Android as an open os stinks for devs because every phone has hidden tweaks they have to navigate. Apple really isn't much better these days. And when you think you have it figured out, one (or several) manufacturers update their version of the os and throw the game devs massive **** wrenches. To top it off, it is a global game.

*shrugs*. In the end we are all human, please be kind. 🤗

edited December 2019 #719 December, 2019, 09:19 am.

@Bormacska - what kind of wrenches got you censored ?

i suspect 🧐 that not all of us are human.

there might be bots among us!

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #819 December, 2019, 09:43 am.

Software development is not easy, yes, it’s empirical ie deals with absolutes but it’s not possible to consider every possible scenario or hardware configuration

All development tools abstract hardware interaction into libraries which are used by application developers, the underlying hardware (processor, peripheral chips, clock speed) change between phone / pad releases some of which require library changes, none of which are co-ordinated with application releases, not forgetting iOS and Android are different operating systems

Testing can only work through a core set of functionality, it simply isn’t possible to test all scenarios - for example, it is not possible to manually playtest through to level 60 multiple times for each profession to flush out the high number of scrolls, imbalance between red and green book requirements

All software has bugs, every application I have ever supported or had a hand in developing has bugs. Apart from my comments above, these bugs occur due to programmers misunderstanding requirements, hardware not responding as specified, odd or not understood hardware interactions, invalid assumptions on how functions work to call out just a few causes

Lastly, let’s not lose sight this is a free game. No-one bought WU and we should give thanks for the team who are giving up their own time to address issues

edited December 2019 #919 December, 2019, 10:43 am.

said the greatest coach of all time, not a software developer

——

in the meantime, still would appreciate an official answer to question in OP; thanks

#1119 December, 2019, 10:56 am.

Wow that’s a recipe for doing nothing!

Every product has flaws and I’d rather have a free product than have to wait years for one that is perfect but limited - because the only way to build a perfect product is to severely restrict capability

Every piece of software has bugs. Period. Some more critical than others - 737 Max for example. WU is a game, no-one died as a consequence of a bug in WU

If I didn’t have WU I would go back to Ingress or find another game to give me a reason to walk and get out of the office / workshop / house renovations. FYI I walked over 3000km playing Ingress in 3 years and visited Washington, Rome, Dublin, Belfast, Birmingham, London Vienna for anomalies and just missed out on Warsaw due to work but I digress - the point is, there is life outside of WU

#1219 December, 2019, 11:04 am.

a “recipe for doing nothing”??

on the contrary, it’s a tenet of john wooden’s pyramid of success :

“Perform at your best when your best is required. Your best is required each day.”

#1319 December, 2019, 11:15 am.

Best doesn’t guarantee either perfection or success 100% of the time and some people’s best is mediocre by others standards

Entirely subjective tenet not based upon empirical measurement - but I will grant you it is motivational

I am sure WU developers give their best every day, in fact I will guarantee it - otherwise they would be fired. Personally I am grateful the WU developers go above and beyond their contractual obligations to make WU the best it can be given all the variables they are dealing with behind the scenes, I know how hard their job is from personal experience and whilst I thoroughly enjoy the challenges it is hard, hard work and very draining

#1419 December, 2019, 11:21 am.

you’re right @OriginalCaruso - if Apple can fail time and again with every subversion release of iOs 13, then Niantic can certainly “beat” Apple 😉

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1519 December, 2019, 12:31 pm.

Just because something was tested doesn't imply that it is bug-free.

#1619 December, 2019, 03:53 pm.

😳- 🐒 M*o*n*k*e*y got censored? Is the bot out to get me or is this really a contextual curse in Martian? I really do try to keep it clean on here... 🤔 Okay "technically" it is Moncky after the inventor, but really.... 🙄 😂😂

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭
    #1719 December, 2019, 06:47 pm.

I got the obligatory crashes in fortresses a few times after updating. The ‘report’ in the briefcase keeps throwing me off every time I open it. Still haven’t tested out the portkeys.

#1819 December, 2019, 07:05 pm.

I had a few crashes in fortresses after updating too

#1919 December, 2019, 07:10 pm.

@Bormacska , you dirty birdy!

#2020 December, 2019, 04:13 am.

the app took the choice out of our hands today, when it gave us a notice that our version was out of date and needed to be updated

that said, an earlier response from @HPWUTeam still would have been appreciated.