Silly question: Cruise Ship edition

JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
in General Questions #1 latest comment 02 November, 2019, 09:56 pm.

This might sound silly, but I really am curious: Someone a while back, mentioned in the forum that they were going on a cruise, and they were wondering if they'd be able to play from there. I unfortunately don't remember who said it, and in what thread, so I can't ask them directly.

But the the question is, does anything show up while at sea?

I know there would be no inns or anything else, but I'm just wondering if anything at all would show up (oddities/confoundables). I'm guessing not (which is why I say it's a silly question to begin with) 😂

Comments

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #231 October, 2019, 03:31 am.

@JulieJubz I can't say for cruise ships, but we sail a fair bit in the San Juans and outside of the (very) rare foundable in the middle of a shipping lane or sailing close to shore there was little to be seen on the water. I honestly think that the shipping lane foundable was because i had the game off and the GPS hadn't sync'ed up yet to my current position. On the plus side, our leisurely sails are about walking speed, so there was the benefit of opening portkeys rather easily 😂

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #331 October, 2019, 03:08 pm.

@HPWULola this is duplicate post. Can you delete for @JulieJubz ?

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #431 October, 2019, 03:18 pm.

Oooh!! U goin on a cruise Jubz?! Wel jel ! Lol

I think they should have the grindylows & plimpys & Kelpies at least!! That would be cool- an aquatic page added to COMC for lucky players who are out on a cruise. We would all book one just for the creatures! 😂

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #531 October, 2019, 03:20 pm.

And they could have the bucket portkey & the fisherman guy who oversees it. Thats 5 for the page- sorted! 😀

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #631 October, 2019, 07:17 pm.

@Bormacska that's really cool to know! Thanks for sharing :D

#731 October, 2019, 07:47 pm.

it would be cool if they could make cruise ships floating events or line with a series of inns, fortresses, and greenhouses =)

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #831 October, 2019, 07:49 pm.

Agreed! I feel like that would be an amazing time to make things "sponsored", you know?

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 876 admin
    #931 October, 2019, 09:59 pm.

@JulieJubz That is a very good question! I just asked @HPWUrobert and he says that as long as one has phone signal, Foundables should show up! There won't be any point of interest (Inns, Fortresses, Greenhouses) but maybe you'll run into some fun Foundables! If anyone goes, get a cool picture of a Foundable in the Ocean for me!!

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    #1001 November, 2019, 02:29 am.

@JulieJubz rumour has it that if you kind like Luna, the giant squid will show up for you!

PS: j.e.a.l.o.u.s. I’ve always wanted to go on a cruise. I even looked into cruise ship jobs at one point. No chance for me due to visa reasons.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    #1101 November, 2019, 02:30 am.

@Bormacska can I visit you? Stay with you? Move in with you?

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1201 November, 2019, 02:43 pm.

@HPWULola thanks!!

#1301 November, 2019, 03:55 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion Sure! We don't go out much in the winter, sailing isn't fun when you are bundled for 30° wind, but we are out on the water as much as possible in spring and summer!

• grsmhikergrsmhiker Posts: 13 ✭✭
    #1402 November, 2019, 09:56 pm.

I've noticed a strong correlation between density of foundable spawns and clusters of dense Ingress XM... especially in busy places with no POI such as gas stations, fast food restaurants, and apartment complexes. I've never seen a definitive answer, but I've heard speculation that Niantic uses location data collected by Google.

Last year, I tried Ingress and Pogo in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, using ship's wifi. There were a few very small XM clusters here and there, but no pokemon. And, of course, no POI in sight. Closer to busy shipping lanes and navigation channels, the XM is slightly less rare, and it seems to be more dense as you approach port. So, I would expect foundables to be extremely rare until you get close to land, but you're guaranteed to find some as you get near civilization.