Family sharing /Apple ID/Child account

TispyTispy Posts: 17 ✭✭
in General Questions #1 latest comment 02 May, 2020, 10:07 am.

Hey all-

I’ve contacted help but their answers do not address the actual issue my child is having. She has her OWN APPLE ID but is a minor in a family sharing group - I do NOT know if that is related to the issue or not. All Help/Support keeps saying is have her use her own ID (which she IS) or to contact Apple Support. Not helpful.

She is unable to use her coins to purchase anything- no rental cauldron (she’s level 9) no keys, she can’t even collect the complimentary gifts that are offered during special events.

Anyone else have this issue? What did you do to solve it?

Comments

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #222 October, 2019, 02:42 pm.

I have seen someone else comment on this topic before, back in July I think. Not really anything since. I don’t recall exactly if they were using the same ID or not tho. @HPWUrobert is this something you can help with?

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #322 October, 2019, 02:44 pm.

I double checked, and the previous poster did use same ID, so won’t help. Hopefully you’ll get some help here.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #422 October, 2019, 03:24 pm.

I believe if you set up your child's game account as a Niantic Kids account, there is a parent portal to manage in-app permissions. I've never looked there (my only child is 20), so I'm not sure what permissions you can customize, but perhaps it defaults to not allowing any purchases. That would be the first place I'd check. Good luck!

• TispyTispy Posts: 17 ✭✭
    #522 October, 2019, 04:07 pm.

@Acumen Thanks for the suggestion. I just logged into the parent portal again and there are no purchase restrictions.

To be clear- she can’t even spend the coins she earns from the dailies.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #622 October, 2019, 04:11 pm.

Sorry, @Tispy. I hoped it would be something simple like that. Maybe one of the admins, like @HPWULola, might know.

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 800 admin
    #722 October, 2019, 06:28 pm.

Hey @Tipsy, sorry to hear that! My colleague said we have seen this issue before but have not confirmed what the problem is. In the meantime, can you write into support via your account (or whatever the account that is listed as the parent account for your child) and explain the issue.

#822 October, 2019, 08:51 pm.

@HPWULola Glad to hear its come up before. We have already written support and despite explaining multiple times that she is NOT SHARING an Apple ID, the repeat response is to advise us to sign her in on her own Apple ID and if that doesn’t work to contact Apple support. It’s an infuriating response as they clearly are not listening/reading.

Is there anything that can be done to help her/us? She is unable to even claim the gifts or properly play the events (can’t buy keys with her gold).

Thanks.

#922 October, 2019, 09:11 pm.

Do you know what account you wrote to support with? I was trying to find your ticket but am unable to.

I chatted with more people about it and learned that the bug is tied to the Family Plan that is with Apple. Even if your child has their own Apple ID, since it is tied to a Family Plan, the game will face this bug. We are still looking into it, but this bug is harder for us to resolve since it is tied to a setting with Apple. In the meantime, a workaround would be to create a new, separate Apple ID for your child. Alternatively, you can write into support when there is a complimentary gift that they cannot claim and support can manually grant the child's account that gift. Support will be unable to assist with other purchases.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I will let you know if there are any fixes made with this.

#1022 October, 2019, 10:18 pm.

@HPWULola Her name is KiddoChicken12 (I don’t know, she chose it.) What is really weird is that she can spend coins to finish brewing a potion, which makes it seem like it’s not a restriction on the Apple side (why spend coins 1 place and not another?) Giving her a separate Apple ID is problematic for multiple reasons. I hope this gets resolved quickly as it limits her play and it’s the first real bonding thing we’ve done in a few years.

#1122 October, 2019, 10:21 pm.

@HPWULola Also, and I don’t know if this helps, but I’m in the same family sharing (NOT the primary) and have no problem spending lots of $$$ in the game.

#1223 October, 2019, 09:26 pm.

Hi @Tispy, that is very interesting. I have passed along all this information to my team. Currently, they are unable to reproduce this issue which is delaying finding a fix. I'll update if anything changes.

In the meantime, do have your daughter email support whenever there are in-game gifts she cannot claim. We will make sure these are granted to her account.

#1324 October, 2019, 12:03 am.

@HPWULola Thank you. And Re-reading my responses I can see I’ve made a mistake and have been unclear. I meant to communicate that giving her a second Apple ID that is separate from the family is problematic (if we don’t add a credit card she can’t make purchases but if we do, we can’t control the purchases plus, no real ability to monitor activities). Also, her user name is KiddoNoodle12

We will definitely be contacting support for the gifts. Thank you.

• HarmonyBellsHarmonyBells Posts: 1
    #1402 May, 2020, 10:07 am.

Same here. Still going back and forth with Niantic kids. The solution they gave was to get a new Apple ID and not have them in the family share. But, I told them family share is required for children under a certain age.

right now I’m waiting for an answer on using a new email that is not Apple ID related to see if that will work. Hoping that Niantic can change the email on they’re end and allow our grandson to keep his current account progress.