Forum FAQs

MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Community Forum Feedback #1 latest comment 14 October, 2019, 08:21 pm.

There are certain things which are posted about a lot. Those who read these forums regularly have some idea of where to find the discussions, but new users generally can't/won't wade through dozens of threads to look for previous discussion on their topic. So we end up with lots of new messages from new posters asking the same questions, sometimes with veteran posters replying with a link to the discussion but not always.

If there were a forum FAQ that was linked to from a few prominent locations, it might help the 1-time visitor find their answer more easily as well as save the efforts of the forum regulars who try to respond to the same questions over and over.

I don't know the exact criteria for what would become an FAQ, but we all know some things that would be there. Registry page froze on rank up. Red Dot on my profession page. Why can't I catch doxies on my lunch break. And so on...

Comments

• JulieJubzJulieJubz Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #213 October, 2019, 01:40 pm.

That would be a really cool solution. I think someone else mentioned in another thread, how it would be nice for the forum to suggest to you other threads already done in the same vein. And I also really like that idea.

I think it could go like some help sites, that show you a bunch of articles before actually letting you through to direct contact? So maybe if you’re typing out “forced log off” it takes you to the threads about it to see if those are enough and helpful!

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #313 October, 2019, 03:00 pm.

@JulieJubz I think the Forum already has something like that (or at least @HPWULola already mentioned a Forum-Extension that would do something like it)

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭
    #413 October, 2019, 06:02 pm.

There is a search option that I have used a few times and it works pretty well, but a FAQ would be very helpful as well.

#514 October, 2019, 12:14 am.

Thanks for letting me know @Lucoire ! I had no idea, haha

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 923 admin
    edited October 2019 #614 October, 2019, 05:25 pm.

Yes, I have put in a request for this add-on. I was told that we can expect this feature to be added by the end of October 😄

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #714 October, 2019, 05:31 pm.

@HPWULola That would be a welcome addition. Thanks for the update 😊

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 923 admin
    #814 October, 2019, 05:32 pm.

Oh, for context, this extension would give users suggestions on posts to look at while they are creating a new topic.

For example, if I started writing 'Werewolves..' into the topic line, it would bring up the current thread on werewolves and recommend I check that out!

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #914 October, 2019, 05:39 pm.

@HPWULola Nice. Hopefully it will have the intended effect of reducing multiple threads on the same or similar topics that have already been discussed or are being discussed.

#1014 October, 2019, 08:21 pm.

Thank you Lola!!