Using excessive mobile data

OGzephyrlunaOGzephyrluna Posts: 1 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 03 September, 2021, 10:28 pm.

Not all players have Unlimited Data plans, but the way the game is set up, it’s almost impossible to only play over wifi in most areas. Great for sponsors like AT&T and Cricket, but pretty crappy for players forced to spend muggle money just to play.

Comments

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #224 August, 2019, 06:09 pm.

Hmmm, I'm on an unlimited plan, so I hadn't considered how this could be a limiting factor for players. I just reset my cellular data usage statistics and I'll check in on it over the next several days. I'm curious to find out how HPWU measures up on data usage compared to the other usual suspects (Facebook, YouTube, Spotify, etc).

#326 August, 2019, 03:56 pm.

Well, after finishing up the weekend, Wizards Unite came out on top when it comes to data usage with 65mb of cellular data used. Still, that's not very much. Spotify would normally be the biggest data hog (easily 100mb or more over a two-day period), but it just happens that I wasn't streaming music very much while I was out and about this weekend.

In the end, it's my personal responsibility to manage my own data usage and figure out what I can or can't do based on what I am willing or able to spend. For almost everyone, there will always be certain forms of entertainment that are beyond our reach because we can't afford them. In the mid 1980's, a few of my friends had the new NES, and I desperately wanted one too but my family couldn't afford one. It sucked, but there definitely could have been worse things to endure. At least we had food to eat, most days anyway, so it wasn't all that bad.

I hope you're able to find a solution that fits your budget and still allows you to play. Good luck!

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    #426 August, 2019, 05:44 pm.

Did you download all assets? That helps with the usage.

• MoforaMofora Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #527 August, 2019, 02:55 am.

I was wondering why after all these years of not using all my data I was suddenly running out! This will cut my game time now that I know. How do you download assets?

#627 August, 2019, 03:14 am.

@Mofora to access settings, just tap your suitcase. In the upper left-hand corner of your screen, you'll see a gear icon. If there's a notification symbol on it, it's likely that you have assets available to download. Click the settings icon, scroll down, and you'll see a section labeled "Download All Assets".

Disclaimer: While this will help to relieve network traffic, it will take up a lot of storage space on your phone. With all assets downloaded, the app currently takes up 4.61 GB on mine.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #727 August, 2019, 05:42 pm.

Unlimited data plans are almost non existent in my country.

I pay yearly for unlimited talk/text amd 13 gig a month. Last time I decided to increase it to 20 gig as they were having a sale and it was only an extea $50 for 12 months and I did run out when we were away camping (we're grey nomads).

Is there a website that you can do a comparison search with? I used one tonight to find my hubby a better deal and wow I found him an awesome deal.

Also check your data usage. When I bought a new phone it went crazy with data use. I didn't realise until I'd run out. I had to wait 3 weeks and in the interim sit at the only wifi in my town so I could play Pogo at all.

Something in the system was the problem.

• MoforaMofora Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #801 September, 2019, 03:36 am.

@Aucmen thank you so much for explaining how to get to the settings!

#901 September, 2019, 03:39 am.

You're most welcome, @Mofora. Any time. 😀

• AllycatCovenAllycatCoven Posts: 42 ✭✭
    #1003 September, 2021, 06:17 pm.

I've downloaded all assets and also removed and reinstalled multiple times. I've also reported here before but can no longer find my post, or any of the other posts I'd replied too that about the issue before. Yet my data use which once upon a time was moderate has been over my limits within just a few hours of gameplay for months now. No, it's not a new phone and I have checked all the settings. No, I am not going to start another thread that no one will reply to and no, I am not going to try anything else. I'm upset my other reports are gone and my issues were never fixed. Between not being able to complete tasks or open portkeys and the high data usage, trying to play this game has become way too much stress for something that is supposed to be enjoyable. It was fun while it lasted but now I'm just kicking myself that I ever spent money on this 'game'.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1103 September, 2021, 07:48 pm.

check for new asset before each event, often times there will be new asset to download.

• ParrishBlueParrishBlue Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    #1203 September, 2021, 08:13 pm.

I've also noticed an increase in data usage out and about the last few months, even with the assets downloaded. I'm now in the habit of loading the game on Wi-Fi, then switching to data when I head out. It helps a bit, though I still got throttled during the back to Hogwarts event.

• HarryPutter1234HarryPutter1234 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    #1303 September, 2021, 10:28 pm.

@ParrishBlue must be the graphics, I play Pogo on data twice as much and wizards unite uses 3x as much data than Pogo, so technically 6x the data.