Global Request to keep the effects of the Trace Charm.

Comments

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    #36205 September, 2020, 12:13 pm.

there's a lot of negative (as well as positive) reviews, havent checked them all so there might be more w info abt WU.

• Orville56Orville56 Posts: 1
    #36305 September, 2020, 01:50 pm.

Perhaps greedy, but the trace charm, when bugged, would still have kept most of use working on the skill trees for over a year. That is of course the major intention of these features if I am correct. I will not say that I will leave the game, but the Trace Charm bug did add significant excitement to my playing day...

• MissPicklechipsMissPicklechips Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #36405 September, 2020, 02:20 pm.

The "fix" made it little more than a mini Tonic for Trace Detection. I get it was overpowered the way it was, but you could only use it a few times. Limit the ability to use it (ie, don't offer the leveling up option in the SOS tree to hold so many charges, or limit its use to 1x/day). It is disappointing to use it on a red trace and get the revealed trace as a Puking Pastilles Display. Not to mention when I returned the PPD, I returned to the map to see my red beam anchor trace despawn, and no amount of restarting brought it back. At least when it was spawning red traces, I had the consolation of that. Overpowered is one thing; nerfing it to be nearly useless and infuriating is another.

• Flounder94Flounder94 Posts: 2
    #36505 September, 2020, 02:21 pm.

The Trace Charm is now meaningless to me. Why would I bother spending SOS resources when I can brew TTD? At the very least, please reset my SOS tree so that I can use my resources in a way that reflects the actual effects of the Trace Charm. My desire to play the game is very low right now as the Trace Charm provided incentive to spend more time playing the game. I'm very disheartened and feel that we were led astray.

• MissAnnieRoseMissAnnieRose Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #36605 September, 2020, 02:44 pm.

I'd just like to add my voice to this discussion. The latest "fix" that has been issued has evidently caused a lot of upset amongst players and is on the verge of turning players away from playing the game. I understand that this feature was overpowered in its original form. Perhaps one solution might be to have a variety of traces still spawn when the trace charm is used, but all at or above the level of the trace it was used on. For example an emergency foundable would spawn different emergency foundables, not all the same?

• Fiona3DFiona3D Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #36705 September, 2020, 05:35 pm.

Seriously? Why would you let us invest so heavily in this trace charm if you knew all along that the perceived value of that investment would evaporate when the “fix” was implemented? The lack of communication is astounding. This was the most exciting and fun feature of the game, and now thinking about what we “lost” just makes me angry. The most logical solution is to randomize the foundables the charm yields, but make them all appear at the same threat level (or higher) than the foundable the charm was cast upon. Right away, please.

• LarryZombieLarryZombie Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #36805 September, 2020, 06:38 pm.

I hadn't played/used the trace charm much the past couple days or so; imagine my surprise when I found out how weak it had become! The trace charm, if nothing else, should absolutely bring up fragments of the same difficulty level, or higher. If I trace an emergency foundable, there is no way that I should be getting mundane, low/medium/whatever the heck they're called now foundables. At least please fix this part. Thanks.

• BatteryJezusBatteryJezus Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited September 5 #36905 September, 2020, 06:49 pm.

Of course Niantic decided to be an anti-consumer, lying piece of garbage corporation again. That's the entire shtick. They're EA but exclusively mobile.

• BatteryJezusBatteryJezus Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #37005 September, 2020, 06:49 pm.

• Drag0nmaidenDrag0nmaiden Posts: 1
    #37105 September, 2020, 08:33 pm.

I thought this was the best thing that we had been given. With living in the country it was giving my mom (disabled and lives the game) and I a chance to promote pages. It is very disheartening now to have such a great item taken away. Please reconsider the “fix” we really prefer the “unfixed version “

• ilmareilmare Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #37306 September, 2020, 01:20 am.

Trace charm breathed new life into the game. For weeks, you let us invest thousands of books into this feature, now you nerf it into the ground. This isn't a bug fix, this is conning the players. The new charm is broken and useless. Our resources are wasted. We feel conned.

Why is the charm revealing the commonest of traces, even when used on an emergency foundable? Every piece of description in the game said it will reveal traces of equal or higher rarity. You mean all of them were typos? And those descriptions made sense. The Trace charm should reveal traces of equal or higher rarity, because otherwise, it's just a much lesser Tonic for Trace Detection (that takes 3x time to obtain and gives ~70% less in return), so its existence is meaningless. Then it might as well be called "the inferior Tonic charm."

If this is a bug, then such a blatant and important error should've been caught in testing. It shouldn't have made it to our phones, what is more, it should never have been allowed to run for 40+ days while everyone poured resources into it. Walking back on it now is just betraying the players' trust. Measly compensation gifts can't make up for such a thing. Either fix the charm for real so that it spawns traces of at least the same level of rarity, or reset SOS training and refund us 100% of the books we spent so far. Show us that you care about your playerbase.

• LadySusanDLadySusanD Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #37406 September, 2020, 03:22 am.

@hpwulola I’ve opened 42 trunks (and still counting) since my last TC. Before the “fix” I was getting a TC roughly every 10-18 trunks. Is this reduction in TCs part of your plan or a bug? It’s just wrong to now make them appear from trunks so seldomly after all the resources we’ve put in to get them. Also, when I used my TC after the “fix” four of my six additional traces were lower than the original traces and ones that I see all the time, not even rare ones. This has totally taken the fun out of the game.

#37506 September, 2020, 06:29 am.

its rng, even before the 'fix' i ranged from 1 charge in 100 trunks to 1 charge every 10. It's all rng.

#37606 September, 2020, 06:31 am.

@ilmare they don't care.

• xxxsdxxxsd Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #37706 September, 2020, 07:32 am.

xxxsd here, I am really mad that you changed the trace charm and removed my best option to collect field guides, because I live in a rural area where there are almost no inns, and I have also spent books that now do not give what I need. I totally disagree with the nerf of the trace charm. I really enjoyed using the trace charm, it was fun as well, and now it's been taken away it also ruined my enjoyment of the game. I am seriously considering quitting the game because things like this keep happening.You should really listen to your player base, especially now so many have been annoyed with all the bugs and nerfs and unwelcome changes lately.

• TreeFraaTreeFraa Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #37806 September, 2020, 02:01 pm.

By fixing the 'bug' the trace charm spell feature is just another way to reveal traces a tonic for trace detection does.

Using the charm spell on specific/rare traces appearing by also using a trace detection tonic and/or one or more dark detectors, players are able to prestige those registry pages they could not, due to not able to play during particular events (network, knight bus, login error or no time to play HPWU) or living in areas with less to very few traces appearing.

So please make it possible to still have the trace spell charm trigger at least a few same or similar traces in the same registry page (or keep it the way it was) and please also focus on fixing the trace charm proficiency 'bug'.

#37906 September, 2020, 02:22 pm.

proficiency isnt going to give more fragments, there done w that theyve said it'll only give wxp/fxp. And i doubt they'll give us back the trace charm, now it's the trace tonic charm, as useless as the rest of the sos trees.

#38006 September, 2020, 02:22 pm.

And no i dont want it to give 1 foundable of each threat lvl, that's bull (i dont mean to insult/offend you). It must be back to how it was, the end.

• BocaGBocaG Posts: 124 ✭✭
    #38106 September, 2020, 02:45 pm.

Is anyone else typing out long coherent responses only to have them vanish when you hit post comment?

#38206 September, 2020, 04:55 pm.

yes, idk why or when but some comments require admin/moderator approval.

• sdcanuksdcanuk Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #38306 September, 2020, 05:31 pm.

I am not at level 60 yet and I was using the trace charm to fill in missing orange and red traces. I even invested a lot of books and manuals into increasing the number of trace charms I could have. It did help with the **** and I knew what I would get when I used a trace charm. I agree that it now works exactly like the tonic for trace detection with no added benefits, so I haven't saved it for the more challenging traces. I was pretty happy with the way it worked before and I was still working to get enough field guides for other SOS capabilities. I wish it would go back to the way it worked before as I have trouble finding the red and orange traces to fill my pages and get field guides.

• PondripplePondripple Posts: 13 ✭✭
    #38406 September, 2020, 08:26 pm.

I have read the new explanation for devaluing the trace charm and I’m sorry, but it’s not good enough. You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube. You set the mechanics, and the expectations with them, you allowed players to spend Resources based on those expectations, and at no time did you announce that there was a ‘bug’. Had you announced it it’s likely no-one would be this frustrated- we would have taken advantage of the ‘bug’ while we could, without spending resources on it. Now it’s too late. You added a game feature, Left it for weeks, then changed it without Notice. Put it back or risk losing your player base. Nerf the number of trace charms you can get if necessary. Don’t nerf the charm itself.

#38506 September, 2020, 09:01 pm.

@hpwulola @HPWUTeam @HPWUrobert I suggest you read @Pondripple 's comment above, he nails it.

#38606 September, 2020, 09:01 pm.

and no amount of dragons is gonna fix it, bring back trace charm as it was.

• NystrumNystrum Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #38706 September, 2020, 09:50 pm.

Compared to the rest of the SOS powers, the previous functionality of the Trace Charm did feel overpowered. And yes, it did allow for some over the top farming.

But now Efficacy is pointless and Proficiency isn’t working. I’m ambivalent about a SOS reset as Trace Charm is still (arguably) more worthwhile than the rest of the powers.

Fix the Proficiency so that it correctly awards the right number of fragments.

Efficacy is actually WORSE than a Tonic because the extra traces are all low/mediums (yes you get more fragments but who cares as those ones are everywhere). The rarer trace should return the same threat or higher (which it basically does now). The other traces should return random assortment of traces of lower threats, at least that would bring it to being BETTER than a Tonic (same likelihood of Foundables but you get more of them).

• MacClolanMacClolan Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #38806 September, 2020, 10:48 pm.

To me the most important feature of the trace charm was the ability to duplicate traces that I needed in meaningful amounts. I have no interest in clicking on every foundable that pops up for the umpteenth time, just to see if it is the one I need to finish a page or is particularly rewarding in terms of XP.

Being able to duplicate gave me a modicum of control and selectivity. This game throws so many layers of randomness at players for the sake of extending content that it becomes aggravating to play after a time. The old function of the trace charm did a lot to ameliorate this. Please consider the way it used to be helped players find some bit of excitement and control amongst the humdrum randomness of the daily game.

Now, it functions as a tiny fraction of that, instead adding more random useless spawns similar to a TTD. Who would be excited by that? Think about how to make it exciting when used with intention and strategy, and don't expect players to mindlessly grind the same spawns ad nauseum day after day for hours to make meaningful progress.

Further, the trace charm charges from family chests seems to have been drastically reduced. This just worsens the regret I have around how I spent my SOS resources.

• TheStarkfishTheStarkfish Posts: 1
    #38907 September, 2020, 12:55 am.

The trace charm, as it was implemented, was an incredible tool for many of us to fill out our fragments. I do not have a safe and convenient location to be able to use dark detectors in my area. I'm at the mercy of random spawns for emergency and severe traces. Having the ability to multiply these traces when I find them has made the game far more enjoyable, as I can actually make progress in pages that have been stagnant for a year. I'd all but given up on the game until this feature was released, and it is the only feature that was released with the SOS advancement tree that had enough value to drive me to try for field guides and DADA books.

The effects of the inn charm and greenhouse charm can be effectively duplicated by standing at the location for five minutes and using the node twice. They're a mediocre bonus and not worth the effort to collect the high cost of improvements. I feel the same way about the nodes that increase the XP from various things, decrease brewing times, increase energy from nodes, improve gifts I give to others etc. They're minor QoL improvements, but generally mediocre. For those of us that see the same medium-to-high traces all the time the improvement to wizarding power is also meh. It makes me better at collecting what I have already collected thousands of times. Why bother?

Three bonuses stood out on the tree: decreasing the escape rate for rarer traces, adding spellbooks to the wizarding trunks, and making it possible to multiply a severe/emergency trace when it appears so that I can finally make some progress in the game. These are things that have regularly encouraged me to (1) walk 0.25 km to refresh my charm (2) participate in events to get more DADA books and (3) use dark detectors when I can, even if it's not for the full duration, just to be able to see one emergency/severe trace pop and use my charm. I've spent money on the game because of this trace charm and enjoyed the implementation of it. The nerf effectively puts me back to collecting the same normal traces that I've been seeing for over a year and gives me zero incentive to log in for events. Why should I bother? Especially after I've invested money in a feature only to have it nerfed to uselessness by the dev team.

Please revert the charm back to how it was. It made the game fun. It made things new and fresh for those of us who aren't in the middle of a city center. It gave me something to try for. Without it the SOS tree is generally useless and entirely mediocre for a majority of the player base.

• Tsorovan85Tsorovan85 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #39007 September, 2020, 04:10 am.

So disappointed with the new patch to the trace charm. I don't mind a diversity of trace families spawning when I cast this charm, but if I cast it on a red emergency trace, all of the spawns better be of that same difficulty, else why even have this in the game? I'm way less inclined to play until this is fixed.

• BomathBomath Posts: 1
    #39107 September, 2020, 07:11 am.

Dear WU,

I think that the new update on trace charm has good points ! The wish to diversify the trace is really cool !

the problem is when somebody use a Trace charm on a red trace, he wants other red or eventually orange traces ... He doesn’t want a Kneazle or a slytherin students...

I hope you understand our frustration about this

thanks for your reading

Mathieu