Studious Success Trace Charm recharge potentially not working

Sn0wcrashSn0wcrash Posts: 1
in Report a Bug #1 latest comment 30 September, 2020, 04:38 pm.

I've not gotten a recharge from a treasure trunk for trace charm the last 48 hours, and I've opened around 250 trunks in that time period. I'm concerned this might be due to a bug.

Tagged:
7 votes

Working as intended · Last Updated

Field Charm charge rewards are not guaranteed

Comments

• MomtjoliMomtjoli Posts: 1
    #225 July, 2020, 10:41 am.

Same

I have leveled up pages a good 50 times since acquiring all the trace charms trunks available. My inventory is 0/4 but I haven’t had a single trunk give me a trace charm. Is this a glitch?

• CanadianBurgerCanadianBurger Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #328 July, 2020, 02:38 am.

I unlocked “Studious Success” for trunks to give a chance at a Trace Spell Charge. This worked fine when I had a capacity of 2. When I did “Cold Case” to increase cap to 4, I’m no longer getting any Trace Spell charges. Have opened at least 30 trunks, and nothing.

#428 July, 2020, 01:03 pm.
  • RuthabegaRuthabega Posts: 1
    #528 July, 2020, 08:13 pm.

I have never received a trace spell charge from a trunk, even though I’ve had that skill since early the first day! I have probably opened 100 trunks. So frustrating!

• RuthabegaRuthabega Posts: 1
    #628 July, 2020, 08:15 pm.

I mastered Studious Success early the first day that SOS skills became available, and have since gotten at least 100 trunks, but NEVER a Trace Charm Charge.

• StarAnise8StarAnise8 Posts: 9 ✭✭
    #730 July, 2020, 10:24 pm.

The same thing is happening to me. I have seen a single trunk provide a trace charm yet, but they always give the extra XP.

• BleshBlesh Posts: 11 ✭✭
    #831 July, 2020, 02:45 am.

Same here...

• FredjeFlitserFredjeFlitser Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited July 31 #931 July, 2020, 03:59 pm.

I have the same problem since I upgraded the trunk XP to 7/16. Before I had regular trace charm charges loaded either from placing foundables or from treasure trunk rewards from catching... so at least for the last 24 hours I have not received any trace charges except from daily task..Screenshot shows my only 2 upgrades here...

I do receive 700 xp each time from the treasure trunk. But no more trace charges.

• Klc5048Klc5048 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 31 #1031 July, 2020, 06:48 pm.

Same, I've opened dozens of trunks and get the XP, but have yet to see a trace charm drop. I doubt I would have spent all those resources on it had I known there would be no benefit

• mysteriousDmysteriousD Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #1131 July, 2020, 07:01 pm.

I seem to go in spurts on getting trace charms from trunks. One day I l placed an emergency fragment on an oddies gold page and with all the leveling of that page, I got 2. Other times I have gone days and many leveling up of family pages and gotten none. Havent had as good of a day as the one that gave me two from on placed image and leveling though that day also gave me a few more to where I was using them as fast as I was getting them so that I would have room for another plus room for daily (I can hold 4)

But then I seem to go a day not getting any other than the daily task reward.

Personally I think it should give you one a daily of all 3 PLUS the daily task reward.

I think the percentage for how often you get should be adjusted. We build up books to do these skills and if it takes leveling a family page up 200+ times to get one more charm seems a bit low.

#1231 July, 2020, 11:21 pm.

Just placed another gold page fortress fragments... 25/25 rewarding 1200 XP and hence 12 Treasure Trunks. I used to get 2-3 trace charm charges at least. Now again zero. This can’t be just unlucky... 12 times in a row? It takes a lot of time, effort and energy to collect the gold page fragments in fortresses and not even a single trace charm charge? No way this is standard behaviour... something fishy is going on.

#1301 August, 2020, 11:55 am.

Ok, looks like I have some more Info for you to investigate and at least confirm there is a (Visualisation) bug...

When I have used all charms my counters are back to 0/4, but in the trace charm overview it still mentions 0 maximum, instead of 4 maximum. At least, this is a visualization issue.

Then it depends on the programming where the treasure trunk rewards makes the checks but if it checks on that incorrect maximum value, I guess it’s “normal” not to receive additional charges (probably why I don’t see any additional charges coming in because there is no space for it??)

if I claim my daily task reward, the counter is becoming 1/4 and in the overview it says maximum 1. When using it, the counter goes back to zero.

maximum charges should be 4, not 0: (Top right max stored spellcasts)

it shows correctly on the map view 0/4:

However when claiming daily task reward it does update the maximum stored spellcasts...

#1402 August, 2020, 12:26 am.

I am seeing Trace Charges now, but at a disappointing rate...

• AllegroVivaceAllegroVivace Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited August 2 #1502 August, 2020, 04:38 pm.

I unlocked Studious Success about a week ago and have never seen a single trace charm charge from a treasure trunk. I was level 49 when the lessons released and have also unlocked Cold Case and have 4 slots available. This is despite opening dozens of trunks over this time period and having the space for refills. This was true both before and after unlocking Cold Case. I am always at 0/4 or 1/4 trace charms.

It's hard for me to believe this is just the nature of randomness because other people are reporting that they're getting daily or even multiple daily trace charm refills when playing about as much as I do, and I've witnessed my husband get several when I have gotten zero (he plays less than I do).

I firmly believe this is bugged on some accounts or devices. I log in with Google on a Galaxy S10e in case that helps. Happy to provide any additional info because this is really impeding my progress toward gaining ministry manuals, and it feels like a huge waste of resources in unlocking those SOS skills over something like spell mastery or departure denial.

HPWU team, PLEASE please investigate whether this may truly be bugged on some accounts!

Edit: Well of course just moments after posting this, I used trace charm on a whomping willow and got some 3-headed dogs...and after placing the dog image, I managed to get 3 charges in a row. So I guess it really is just terrible RNG luck.

• KitzenKitzen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    #1602 August, 2020, 04:44 pm.

@CanadianBurger @Ruthabega @AllegroVivace the trace charms tend to drop at an average 5% chance. This is 1 in 20 trunks. Of course due to RNG you can sometimes get a dry spell, but over enough trunks and time it will average out. (people on my discord have tested this with hundreds of trunks). The cold case node is not bugged, I have that node and get charms no problem.

edited August 2 #1702 August, 2020, 04:59 pm.

@Kitzen thanks and see my edit - finally got 3 in a row from a single image, so apparently it was just TERRIBLE luck with RNG over the past week. I had a hard time believing that it was just bad luck, since in an entire week I got zero while everyone around me had multiple and played about the same or less than I did. I wish I had kept track of the number of trunks I had opened but I think it was more than enough given all the times I placed the whomping willow image.

Also, a question: I presume these don't drop with brilliant event trunks since brilliant images also don't give ministry manuals. Is that true as far as you know? If it's not true and there's a chance of getting one with brilliant trunks, I'll continue returning brilliant foundables instead of ignoring them since I've completed the event.

#1802 August, 2020, 05:30 pm.

@AllegroVivace no, brilliant trunks do not drop them, neither do challenge trunks. Just the ones from the exploration registry

• RavingRavenRavingRaven Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #1902 August, 2020, 05:54 pm.

My theory is that it only gives you a charm from a trunk if you're at 0/x.

I've gotta a bunch over the ~week it's been live, but always when I don't have any already.

#2002 August, 2020, 06:16 pm.

@RavingRaven nope, i have just now got a charge from a trunk and i already had 1 still in storage. I have gotten other charges with charges still in storage before as well.

• Insanity101Insanity101 Posts: 1
    #2103 August, 2020, 01:17 pm.

Even after getting the Trace Charm Reward from Chest rewards from the SOS Lessons I haven't received the Trace Charm Reward after weeks.

• HPWUblueHPWUblue Posts: 825 mod
    #2203 August, 2020, 04:37 pm.

@Insanity101 I've merged your thread with a similar report for visibility.

• MasterStoneShanMasterStoneShan Posts: 1
    #2303 August, 2020, 08:56 pm.

i can back up FREDJEFLITSER claim about the Maximum stored spellcasts is showiing as 0 when i have 2 storage space. I have NEVER recieved a trace charge charm since ive gotten the ability to (3 days agao) I have also had the ability to hold 2 charges since ive gotten the abaility to get a trace charm from the treasure chests. It has alwasy show as 0 spaces to hold a charge in the SOS page since I' ve gotten the abiliy to hold 2 trace charges, with the acception of it updating when i get my daily as Fred mentioned. I have been playing hardcore tha past 3 days and have gone from level 35-hitting 37 later today. again, Ive never recieved a trace charge.

#2404 August, 2020, 03:11 am.

I was concerned that this was bugged because I didn't get a single trace charm charge for an entire week, with multiple trunks opened over that period. Then suddenly I got 3 in a row right after posting about this in another thread. I think it's just the nature of RNG. There's apparently a ~5% chance of getting one and I just got very unlucky all week, then suddenly very lucky.

• XavioraXaviora Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #2505 August, 2020, 09:44 am.

I just concern it problem when I upgrade bonus XP trunk to 12/16, because after I upgrade it I never get Trace Charm Charge since last week ago. I'm sure I opened trunk over 100+ but didn't get a single charge.

edited August 12 #2612 August, 2020, 04:18 am.

I'm back to report the same as @Xaviora. After my initial streak of bad luck I was getting a few recharges a day. And then about 2 days ago I decided to open up the skills that give you wizarding XP with treasure trunks. Currently I get 600 XP from each treasure trunk (6/16) but I have not seen a single trace charm recharge in those 2 days. Is it possible that the game is not awarding trace charm charges to people who also have wizarding XP treasure trunks? In that case I would want to revert my wizarding XP nodes because trace charms are far more valuable to me.

Edit: Also, my maximum stored spellcasts should be 4 and on the field I currently have 2/4, but on the SOS task force appraisal page, it says max stored spellcasts of 2. Similar to how others have described.

• Witchywoo86Witchywoo86 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #2721 August, 2020, 03:06 pm.

I have now opened more than 400 trunks without getting a trace charm. The odds of that are so small that I don't believe it's not bugged. I have two accounts and have gotten 7 trace charges from trunks in the same amount of time despite playing the second account half as often.

• MadamSargeMadamSarge Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited August 21 #2821 August, 2020, 08:54 pm.

I haven't gotten a Trace Charm charge from a trunk in 4 days. Could this be device-dependent? I mostly play on a Samsung A20 phone - haven't been on my iPad in a week.

Or maybe I shouldn't have downloaded those latest assets?

• Fiber73Fiber73 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #2921 August, 2020, 10:44 pm.

I would like to comment a method that maybe is worth the thinking to minimize RNG a bit. Let's say that you have a 1% of getting the traces recharge. If you don't roll the 1, the next time is not 1% but 3%, and the next time is 5% (numbers could vary of course). When you get the recharge, the chance resets to the original 1%.

I have not counted how much trunks I have opened but I would say that around 100 since my last trunk recharge... :-(

• JodeliJodeli Posts: 1
    #3030 August, 2020, 10:09 am.

Same here also: no trace charms after around 100 treasure trunks. Quite upsetting that once again so much effort is going unrewarded :(

Love the universe, like the game, but these bugs sadly ruin the experience.

• TyrandausTravisTyrandausTravis Posts: 51 ✭✭
    #3130 August, 2020, 11:00 am.

It's not a bug. It's called randomness.

Sometimes you don't have charge over big amount of trunks, sometimes you have 2 in a row, that's how it works.