Note about the Brilliant Event: Brilliant Bogrod the Goblin can be placed by tapping the area under his elbow. The Brilliant Shopping List can be placed by tapping the bottom left corner. Click here for images.
Leeching/Free Riders — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Leeching/Free Riders

NoneStopNoneStop Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 20 in General Questions #1 latest comment 08 August, 2020, 03:46 am.

I always try to pull my weigt in challenges, I dont join a lvl Im not suited for, 98% of my fellow wizards does thise things :) But sadly not everyone think its worth doing it.

Maybe you have invested a lvl 4/5 stone and want something to show for it but ending with burning thru more potions and energy to finish up?

To often I see players who simply joins a game and let the rest take down the challenges.

Im sure this is bugging alot of people, alteas me.

I thing some changes should be done to pervent this type of players benefiting from other players

I really hate to burn 10-20+ energy more than usual due to leechers :(

Anyone with thoughts?

• NoneStop

Comments

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #220 July, 2020, 03:45 pm.

@NoneStop This is a topic that many of the forum feel passionately about and, therefore, you will find a lot of discussions about it.

Now that the scores are visible to us, it makes it a little easier to spot the weaker pkayers and those that may be freeloading. It would be rare to see a max level freeloader, as those who put in minimal effort probably haven't got the rewards etc from Brilliant Events.

• ScarletB12ScarletB12 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #321 July, 2020, 03:30 am.

Magpie- I am a pretty new player, and since scores are visible players leave a challenge. If higher level players are playing low level challenges, they should expect new players. It's very frustrating.

Low numbers don't mean freeloaders. 🤷‍♀️

#521 July, 2020, 05:34 am.

Good advice from @Bormacska, as always.

Also, the numbers do make me more sympathetic. I had an arch nemesis on the knight bus. For privacy's sake, we shall call him BlueRaccoon2019. Blue Raccoon was a magi who never cast bdavery, never revived, sniped everyone else's elites and died multiple times. I lost 3 Level 5 runestones thanks to the furry trash panda.

HOWEVER, now that numbers are shown, I can see that BlueRaccoon2019 is actually quite a low level magi and is still learning. So I am a bit less angry, and am considering modelling good team play for him.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    #622 July, 2020, 01:25 am.

@Magpie31

It would be rare to see a max level freeloader, as those who put in minimal effort probably haven't got the rewards etc from Brilliant Events.

They do exist, though. Dealt with one the other day. Grrr

edited July 22 #722 July, 2020, 01:25 am.

@Magpie31

I had an arch nemesis on the knight bus. For privacy's sake, we shall call him BlueRaccoon2019. Blue Raccoon was a magi who never cast bdavery, never revived, sniped everyone else's elites and died multiple times. I lost 3 Level 5 runestones thanks to the furry trash panda.

HOWEVER, now that numbers are shown, I can see that BlueRaccoon2019 is actually quite a low level magi and is still learning. So I am a bit less angry, and am considering modelling good team play for him.

You are certainly more forgiving that I.

#822 July, 2020, 05:39 am.

@FireWanderer I only said considering, and that was after a couple of vodkas.

Also, I experienced the maxed freeloader the other day too. Interesting.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #922 July, 2020, 08:11 pm.

I do feel strongly that the bugs have been worked out of KB so that leaves life issues occurring while playing a fortress round. Knowing that life will always occur and things do happen so there is not a way to account or mitigate that I am able to come up with. For instance yesterday, I was playing a tower level I believe and my puppy got stung by a bee on the nose and was yelping and running around. I took out one foe prior to the sting and then came back to my phone and the level was completed. So I do understand that things happen. I felt awful for the four other people that took down the foes that I wasn’t able to.

With that being said, there are multiple levels I have played where there is an Auror, Magizoo, or Professor that is casting strategic spells but not taking on any foes that I can see. Not that I monitor every single level I play or player but it is glaringly obvious in some of the situations. And in my experience this is occurring more and more in the ruins and tower levels and very rarely in forest and even more rare in dark levels. This is my experience. I do appreciate people like @Magpie31 trying to teach players how to play and be the best team mate possible which I respect. And perhaps I should try to think of things that way. But in some of the situations it is extremely frustrating to watch your spell energy go down and down and one of your team mates is just casting strategic spells - I imagine that is how the people felt when my puppy got stung!🤣

Can we also talk about elite foes - why are professors or aurors taking on Elite irklings or spiders? I am a magizoo and you don’t see me taking on an elite death eater or pixie. As a magizoo we have to utilize 7 focus to put up the beast shield so I do that after 4-5 foes have been taken down so that I always have five focus to take on foes. So this is a PSA - PLEASE DON’T TAKE ON ANY ELITE FOES UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF A SESSION. (Unless you want to take them on without the beast shield which in lower levels I understand everyone is fighting to get the elites as in my experience an elite with the shield are typically easier to take down then a five star acromantula). This is my advice as a magizoo so hopefully people will understand where I am coming from. I think in the Forrest and dark levels this is so very important.

However, today I played a tower level with a group total of 5 where there were a total of 15 foes and several were stacked on top of each other so my foes were beneath werewolves or death eaters. So I finally get one and the page resets and there are only two foes left. Has anyone else seen this situation?

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    #1023 July, 2020, 12:12 am.

Reset battle lobby (foes) happened to me a couple of time, realized that after some elit foes disappear after fight a foe and back to battle lobby.

Sometimes i think there is also player scrumbble/reset? I know that because profession position/mix different after the realizing of the reset.

But I think its only happened on a few/dozens second at the beginning?

#1123 July, 2020, 01:33 am.

@ClairabusGryff

I am a magizoo and you don’t see me taking on an elite death eater or **pixie.**

In this professor's experience, you are the distinct minority.

However, today I played a tower level with a group total of 5 where there were a total of 15 foes and several were stacked on top of each other so my foes were beneath werewolves or death eaters. So I finally get one and the page resets and there are only two foes left. Has anyone else seen this situation?

Yeah, that happened to me a few days ago (Saturday?). That was the same chamber as when we ended up with negative foes.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    edited July 23 #1223 July, 2020, 02:29 am.

I am magizoo too, i wont take elit werewolf and pixy except there too many curiosity for lone professor and aurors seem dont want to take them,

and usually i will take them IF they have hex on them otherwise its like tickling a puppy or waving on a fly, a big waste of time.

And choosing elit than normal its because of the bravery charm, there is also wit potion.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1323 July, 2020, 12:44 pm.

So true @Kodokmag. I try to stay in my lane so to speak with elite foes and really any foes. But in a situation where we are missing a profession or too many foes then I will take them down.

• Li11eeLi11ee Posts: 58 ✭✭
    #1423 July, 2020, 06:52 pm.

I don't get tilted when chambers get wonky but I would be so lost without these boards. I would be that professor this thread jokes about if you all didn't discuss these things so thank you.

• ItarItar Posts: 14 ✭✭
    #1502 August, 2020, 01:54 pm.

It really isnt an issue until you get to the Forest Chambers. My observation is that from the Forest chambers on the difficulty rating takes a large jump and from there on several things matter. Group makeup, correct profession matchups regarding class inherit proclivities for certain types of enemies, and when and when not to use potions. Freeloading even in Tower chambers are annoying but not terrible. Forest and beyond is where I get pretty annoyed because freeloading at that level and beyond gets rather expensive for the rest of the team in potion expenditures.

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 48 ✭✭
    #1602 August, 2020, 02:03 pm.

its simple , find a discord server where you can find friends (beaconing and searching) (or actual real life ppl) and youll never have to worry about randoms ever again. As to the low numbers....its meaningless, ive seen low numbers pull their weight and fight as best they can and ive seen high numbers steal elites (deficient), freeload and/or play wrong (cast hexes as an auror to a spider being fought by a magiz for example, not give focus, or receive focus as a professor only to turn det hex a foe and enter it instead of casting ppc/shields at the start of battle etc)...the best way to not have any of those things is to find ppl you can communicate with and play solely and exclusively with them, be it from real life or discord servers.

• WhitehorsemattWhitehorsematt Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    #1702 August, 2020, 02:34 pm.

@ScarletB12 If I'm in a low chamber, it's generally because I'm **** through them for a particular reward.

I will normally leave if ANYONE joins while I'm in the lobby. This isn't because they are low level, or any other gameplay reason. It's simply because if someone else is in the lobby, I have to wait two minutes for everyone to be ready or for the timer to run out before getting into the battle. On my own I can hit 'start now' get in, one shot all the foes, get out and start again. With others this takes ten times longer.

In higher chambers it's the other way round. I will generally hang around in the lobby and see who else turns up. I'll generally only leave if there isn't one of each class, or there are 4 Aurors.

• ItarItar Posts: 14 ✭✭
    #1807 August, 2020, 02:09 am.

I'll generally only leave if there isn't one of each class, or there are 4 Aurors.

@Whitehorsematt LOL yes!! 4 aurors = doom

• Eleanor001Eleanor001 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    #1907 August, 2020, 07:32 pm.

I'm still at level 36 and an Auror but this dude, who's a Magizoologist, and I start a Dark Chamber challenge, just us two (I've done this before and it went well with another guy) and he leaves the challenge leaving me with 11 foes and 5 mins to complete the game🤦🏻‍♀️ Obviously, I lost

• Not4u13Not4u13 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    #2008 August, 2020, 03:46 am.

I am a maxed professor and high level auror. I sometimes play as auror in D5. I barely qualify.

It appears to me that more people when I'm auror than when I am max professor. I'm guessing its because they presume they will need to carry more weight. Maybe, I am lower level after all. But I take down my share of foes and pass focus before I do.

I hate freeloaders like the next guy, but you can't assume lower level means freeloader.

I will say that I sometimes wait before engaging if I don't have any foes aligning to my strengths. If after a few spawns, they don't appear, I'll engage with neutral. I have found a lot of players don't seem to pay attention to their strengths, but maybe they will learn.