Brilliant portmanteau issue

FiorelilyFiorelily Posts: 8 ✭✭
in Game Events #1 latest comment 10 December, 2019, 04:57 pm.

When I started the brilliant event, I had one 10k portmanteau in progress, "keyed," as it were. Then as the event got underway, I picked up several more. I key them as soon as I get them, including two event 7k portmanteaus. They were all (seven in total, including the 10k) completed by the time I hit to the five portmanteau opened requirement. I hadn't opened them yet because someone mentioned saving them until that requirement. However, I opened all of them after I got the requirement and none of the seven portmanteaus counted toward the requirement. I was under the impression, based on comments here and reddit, that they had to have been started after the event began, but six of my portmanteaus fit that requirement. So, is this an error that needs fixing? Or does the requirement need clearer wording?

Tagged:

Answers

• DuttworthDuttworth Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #207 July, 2019, 09:12 am.

I am thinking that the keys need to be inserted once the challenge for unlocking the Portkeys has come up not when the challenge as a whole began. I have 2 of the 7km ones with keys in at the minute and I can’t remember at what point I put the keys in. Just crossing my fingers 🤞but I have no spare keys yet to do any others.

• FiorelilyFiorelily Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #408 July, 2019, 01:37 am.

So since I unlocked them (as in, I finished walking them before I got the requirement but didn't open them) before the requirement, that doesn't count towards "unlocking" them? That seems unnecessarily pedantic and should be worded better on the requirement itself.

• CorsetjonesCorsetjones Posts: 2
    #509 July, 2019, 08:33 pm.

I unlocked 2 portkeys after I had the task up and neither were counted towards the task. Does it have to be the 7km portjeys? Cuz I just started 2 of those.

• BonstradamusBonstradamus Posts: 1
    #610 July, 2019, 06:15 am.

I’ve had problems as well; i think there is a bug if you don’t immediately open a Portkey. I’ve only had credit for 1 , but I Definitely completed 5... but, I held onto the others until I had a potion. No credit

• Xell75Xell75 Posts: 9 ✭✭
    #811 July, 2019, 10:59 am.

the task listed was "unlock 5 portmonteau" not "open a portkey"

Some of these terms are still confusing and new, so its easy to read something and think of it as a completely different task, unfortunately.

• FiorelilyFiorelily Posts: 8 ✭✭
    #916 July, 2019, 10:36 pm.

Then I recommend a clarification on any future assignments with similar requirements. Instead of "unlock 5 portmanteaus" something along the lines of "after receiving your assignment, unlock 5 portmanteaus from start to finish."

This revision sounds like I need to start the portmanteau after receiving the challenge. The way it was worded before it just sounds like any portmanteau that is in progress should count towards" unlocking a porymanteau" which would have meant that several portmanteaus should have counted because the "unlocked" after I recieved the assignment, but they were started before the requirement. The suggested wording clarifies the requirement.

• SistahSouljahSistahSouljah Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #1017 July, 2019, 01:16 am.

I have "unlocked" 5 portmanteaux since the "Unlock 4 Portkey Portmanteau" task started for me: one was a 2K unlocked with my gold key and the other 4 were 7K Brilliant Portmanteaux unlocked with silver keys. Only one was counted towards my total. I'm assuming it was the 2K since that was the lone difference; so now I'm wondering did it count because it is a "non-brilliant" portmanteau or because I used the Gold key? Anyone else have this issue?

• ShaerkaShaerka Posts: 2
    #1119 July, 2019, 07:26 pm.

Same here. I had 3 portmanteaux counted, then unlocked 2 more and still have 3/4. And, what's funny, my boyfriend had identical problem at the same time - 3/4 done, 2 more unlocked and... nothing. We don't know what went wrong. Of course we can unlock next portmanteaux, but we would rather avoid the mistakes we made this time (if it was our fault, not a bug or something like that).

• ValorshuValorshu Posts: 19 ✭✭
    #1231 July, 2019, 12:08 am.

Yeah, the same here. 3 7KM using silver keys didn’t count. Got stuck with 3/4. These 3 are 2 or 5km

• kpwxxkpwxx Posts: 20 ✭✭
    #1331 July, 2019, 07:15 pm.

Definitely sounds like a bug... @HPWUMicah states that it's only the unlocks that count, same as the other events, but people here are clearly describing unlocking (not opening or starting) and it's not counting.

Now I don't want to unlock them until it's sorted out, but also I need to because I have old ones in the mix that won't drop items for this part of the event so need to get through a lot.

Hopefully any fix will apply retroactively so they will check unlocks and if you made them after the special task was revealed for you, they'll count towards it.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1431 July, 2019, 07:47 pm.

I unlocked 4 2km’s when I hit this task. None counted. Had to use two more silvers and my gold twice to get past this task this morning. Not sure what happened.

• NeighborlyNeighborly Posts: 34 ✭✭
    #1531 July, 2019, 07:58 pm.

Correct me if I am wrong on terminology here:

Acquire / Collect: Pick up Portkey from the map

Unlock / Activate / Start: Put in the key

Complete / Finish: Fulfill the walking requirement for an unlocked Portkey

Open / Use: Actually open a completed Portkey and claim the Wrackspurt awards

#1631 July, 2019, 09:21 pm.

@Neighborly you are close except “unlock.” It is not unlocked until you’ve completed the walking requirement. When you’ve walked the distance, that’s when you get the popup saying you’ve unlocked a portkey.

• SmithpspfanSmithpspfan Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #1731 July, 2019, 09:40 pm.

I do not like the fact that my Portmanteaus from the last event unlocks the trunk from part 1. How am I supposed to determine which ones in my que are from part 1 and which ones are from part 2? Especially since we do not have the ability to delete them. We only have the ability to use them or let them sit? *Performs the disappointed old man head shake from Happy Gilmore*

• SamuelHaightSamuelHaight Posts: 98 ✭✭
    #1801 August, 2019, 05:46 am.

I just unlocked and opened 4 7k that I picked up yesterday after part 2 started, and I got 4 of Harry's Trunk fragments. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• callenshawcallenshaw Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #1901 August, 2019, 09:43 pm.

This is definitely bugged! I was credited for opening 2 portkeys shortly after getting the quest. Then a bit later I unlocked a 3rd portkey, and I wasn't paying much attention, but eventually noticed I still only have 2/4 complete for the quest. I thought it was weird, and maybe I misremembered. But it didn't matter because either way I had about 3km left on two Brilliant Portkeys (burning through Silver Keys to complete this quest...)

So now I've just unlocked these two 7km portkeys, and... I'm still at 2/4 on the quest?! I even opened one to see if that was required (which it never has been before iirc), but nope, still at 2/4 - so I've now not received credit for my last 3 portkeys. This is a big waste of time going on walks just to have the reward taken away. I need me those restricted books :'(

What should I do?

• Lolo1953Lolo1953 Posts: 3
    #2010 December, 2019, 12:29 pm.

Dies that mean the count happens when you unlock only or do you have to walk and open as wrll

#2110 December, 2019, 02:57 pm.

@Lolo1953 it should count when walking is complete and you get the message saying you’ve unlocked a portkey.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2210 December, 2019, 03:59 pm.

This comes up a lot because the wording can be a bit confusing, especially for new players.

Unlocking a Portkey:

When you pick up a portmanteau on the map and insert a key, you must walk the required distance to unlock it. Once you've walked that distance, you'll receive a notification stating that the portkey has been unlocked. An unlocked portkey will show up as a boot in your inventory, indicating that it is ready to use.

Any portkeys you unlock before you reach a task that requires you to unlock a certain number of portkeys won't count. Once you reach such a task, only those in progress (you've walked 2 of the 3 required kilometers, for example) or those you haven't yet inserted a key into will count.

Using (opening) a Portkey:

This refers strictly to portkeys that have already been unlocked and are displayed as boots in your inventory. When you open a portkey, you're whisked away to a remote location, like Honeydukes or Hagrids Hut, where you can tap on wrackspurts to collect items. If you already have several unlocked portkeys (boots) in your inventory before you reach a task that requires you to unlock a certain number of portkeys, they will not count when you open them.

#2310 December, 2019, 04:57 pm.

Another way I think the tasks are worded is you need to unlock the portmanteau to acquire a portkey. The portkeys (boots) are inside of the portmanteaus (pretty triangular boxes), so the portmanteau must be unlocked via key and walking to get to the portkey. They are two different objects, and I think a lot of people get confused on that. I have no idea what those words have been translated to for other languages, so that may cause confusion as well.