The story, one year later

diwadiwatadiwadiwata Posts: 26 ✭✭
in Story #1 latest comment 27 November, 2020, 03:56 am.

After reading the dialogues for BE One Year Later, how has your theories about the calamity and Grim changed? And what new features or game changes do you want to see that ties into the story?

I always thought Grim cast a spell that led to his unintentionally causing the calamity. If he were indeed imprisoned by someone, then that someone is weaponizing the calamity for a nefarious purpose. I hope new SoS tasks will come soon to further investigate. New mystery items are a must too, and maybe new ways to get them instead of randomly dropping from traces.

Comments

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #203 July, 2020, 12:48 am.

I fear Constance is far more involved than she wants us to know...

• diwadiwatadiwadiwata Posts: 26 ✭✭
    #303 July, 2020, 03:43 am.

Suspicions about Constance is definitely popular lol A legilimency spell in the game is needed just for her!

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭
    #403 July, 2020, 04:27 am.

yeah me too, its like constance is entangle/known of all the foundables

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #503 July, 2020, 03:45 pm.

Constance's story just doesn't add up. And she manipulated herself into a convenient position.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited July 13 #713 July, 2020, 05:02 pm.

My current working theory:

Constance is Penelope (who caused the actual Calamity after entrapping/setting up Grim) who is in fact a Swooping Evil and only had the Community Day to throw all of us off the scent of her and her fellow SEs takeover of the Ministry of Magic.(*)

I mean she was complaining about how cute the animals were! C'mon now!!

(*) prior to the CD, I had seen just three SEs in the wild after a year of playing daily, and only one had appeared without a Dark Detector. There's rare and then there's unheard of, impossible levels of finding.

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #816 July, 2020, 12:44 am.

Holy ****!!! Did you all see those memos from Constance, from the new event?

HER PATRONUS IS A UNICORN

She saw a Ministry memo detailing Hippogriff poaching in the Forest.

@FireWanderer you may be more right than you know

#916 July, 2020, 09:24 am.

I still can't decide where Constance is suspicious, or just a victim of the devs trying too hard.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1017 July, 2020, 04:19 am.

@Magpie31 that might be the case. At this point nearly everyone is suspicious about Constance and maybe that’s what the devs are trying to get us to think; they’re diverting our attention towards Constance and away from the real culprit (whoever that might be).

#1117 July, 2020, 07:01 am.

@Imaginatio And maybe they aren't trying at all. I mean, if you take Dr Who as an example, the companion is always a point of view character who helps us learn about and access the Doctor's world. Samr in Harry Potter - Harry is discovering the wizarding world at the same pace that we are. So it feels like Constance was intended to be that character for us. But it has sort of backfired a bit, because she wasn't new, and her "discoveries" contradict each other.

It may well all be intentional, but it could also quite honestly be a bit of a mistake by a team who are talented game developers, but not fantasy writers.

#1217 July, 2020, 07:41 pm.

@Magpie31 at this moment in time it seems like any of these possibilities may be true. 🧐🤔

#1319 July, 2020, 07:32 pm.

@Magpie31

I still can't decide where Constance is suspicious, or just a victim of the devs trying too hard.

She's a tad Mary Sue-ish in the fact that it all seems to revolve around her.

@Imaginatio

At this point nearly everyone is suspicious about Constance and maybe that’s what the devs are trying to get us to think; they’re diverting our attention towards Constance and away from the real culprit (whoever that might be).

Watching Jessica Fletcher with my grandma taught me that the first person suspected (Grim Fawley) is never the culprit. So, we move to option #2. It probably isn't Constance, but something feels off there. She's got a secret that we haven't teased out ... yet.

@Magpie31

if you take Dr Who as an example, the companion is always a point of view character who helps us learn about and access the Doctor's world.

Aside: until they the current set with Jody Whittaker (who they are absolutely doing a major disservice to with some of these scripts). I haven't seen the most recent season in part because they really wrecked the first season with Whittaker, but one of the main problems has been the set of companions who are not developing the newest doctor and her interactions with humans. [rant off]

So it feels like Constance was intended to be that character for us. But it has sort of backfired a bit, because she wasn't new, and her "discoveries" contradict each other.

She just doesn't "fit" in, but is trying so hard to do so. But I'll keep your interpretation under consideration.

#1420 July, 2020, 03:45 am.

@FireWanderer Could be either. I am not married to a theory yet.

And I agree... If Grim is responsible, it is very lazy writing.

#1520 July, 2020, 04:43 am.

@FireWanderer It could potentially be one of the London five or all of them or someone else completely, if not Grim or Constance. There’s still much we don’t know.

Until we do though, Constance is not ruled out as a possible threat and the cause of the calamity.

#1620 July, 2020, 04:54 am.

@Imaginatio Yeah, Penelope herself keeps popping into my head, but I feel that would be too obvious.

#1720 July, 2020, 05:09 am.

@Imaginatio

It could potentially be **one of the London five or all of them** or someone else completely, if not Grim or Constance. There’s still much we don’t know.

I will admit that I don't have the greatest memory, but I suspect most of us cannot name the other four of the "London Five" beyond Penelope without looking it up. I just quickly scanned the Harry Potter wiki and the other four all have the same placeholder entry.

Did you remember Genevieve Bladt, Timothy Hale, Kit Gerrard, and Riya Patel? Bravo if you did!

To my recollection (which again is as air tight as a rusty sieve), the other four haven't ever been referenced by any of the conversations during any the events and only named as part of the London Five.

So, if they are suspects, you could easily replace them with "Magical User von Placeholder" and have the same depth of character for them.

• SeaChleSeaChle Posts: 24 ✭✭
    #1820 July, 2020, 02:32 pm.

What if it’s a completely different direction and it’s Hagrid that’s involved? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he’d start the calamity intentionally, but... he’s the first Foundable we see. And now that we are learning that Grim is trying to communicate, the Calamity is affecting a bunch of Hagrid’s favorite things. Maybe something went wrong with his umbrella wand. Or maybe he was tricked/coerced into “helping” with the calamity in the same way that he inadvertently gave out the secret to bypassing Fluffy.

#1920 July, 2020, 03:42 pm.

I wouldn't put it past Hagrid!

#2022 July, 2020, 02:14 pm.

Good stuff, @Skaana !

I think the green stars on the Mystery items were reported as a bug. I had hoped they would also affect gameplay, like placing one clue yields new conversations, something like that.

There's something off about Constance lately, because she's giving too much info about herself and yet some of her stories are contradicting or plain mean. Could be consistency problem in the writing or a clue that she's not who or what she says she is.

I do hope it's not Hagrid's fault!

I have to say, relying on Brilliant Events for very little new story info is slow-going. And new players wouldn't know what's up with all the suspicion on Constance and have to rely on community chats or content creators. Hopefully some new Mystery items drop soon too. I think SoS training lessons should have had a Detective node lol.

#2123 July, 2020, 04:32 am.

@diwadiwata

Hopefully some new Mystery items drop soon too. I think SoS training lessons should have had a Detective node lol.

I think we as a group have been focused on the new toys that we have missed some things amongst all of the nodes (like the node named "Five Alive?" for instance). It wouldn't surprise me if there are little tidbits we've skimmed right over because we have been so focused on the "what does this give me" in comparison to the "what is this telling me."

#2228 July, 2020, 06:23 am.

I'm guilty on that @FireWanderer . I held off on the skills for the first days and now focused on only a few. I am imagining that more clues would probably be in the nodes with DADA books. But I'll get reading!

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 73 ✭✭
    #2329 July, 2020, 08:04 pm.

@FireWanderer Nodes? Are you referring to something I call by a different name? Or something I've missed altogether?

• BarefootTikiBarefootTiki Posts: 33 ✭✭
    #2429 July, 2020, 10:07 pm.

Uh... I’m not certain the devs have much of a story in mind at all 🤔

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 73 ✭✭
    #2530 July, 2020, 12:48 am.

Why is the calamity trying to take the memories from some high foundables, like Dumbledore and Skamander?

• MacSeainMacSeain Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #2625 September, 2020, 11:45 am.

Filch isn't a squib after all.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭
    #2725 September, 2020, 11:53 am.

From battle of the ministry event, harry said he caused the calamity. Isnt it?

• ScarletB12ScarletB12 Posts: 93 ✭✭
    #2825 September, 2020, 04:12 pm.

maybe the hundreds of players who can't proceed past the London five and Redacted report assignments would be able to chime in if we could ever move along in the story......@HPWUTeam

• OdetshkiOdetshki Posts: 43 ✭✭
    #2924 October, 2020, 10:24 am.

Since I have played only from end of July and have missed loads of dialogue from events, could somebody explain me why do so many people suspect Constance? I want her to be guilty, i find her really annoying 😂

• RainPatronusRainPatronus Posts: 3
    #3022 November, 2020, 08:39 am.

Constance admitted cheating to get her place on the SOS team.

We also know that the foundables and confundables were created by two different spells. I suspect that Grim created the confoundable spell to protect the foundables and got trapped in it himself (he is the wizard we keep meeting)

• Infinitum97Infinitum97 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #3127 November, 2020, 03:56 am.

I believe Grim joined the Unspeakables because they offered him a way to bring his wife back. Now he might have realized that might have been a poor decision and is trying make up for it.