PSA - Wizards Unite will not load/run under iOS 14 Beta

ChuluotaChuluota Posts: 1
edited July 8 in Report a Bug #1 latest comment 03 August, 2020, 03:42 am.

Hello,

I just updated my iPhone 11 ProMax to ISO 14 Developer beta. After the update, Wizards unite will not run. When I click on the icon, a black screen will flash and the game quits. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game but that did not help.

I am not sure if I am the only one having this problem or Wizards unite dons not work under IOS 14 "Yet".

Anyone else having same problem I am having?

Post edited by HPWUrobert on
Tagged:
0 votes

Working as intended · Last Updated

Comments

• KitzenKitzen Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #223 June, 2020, 11:57 am.
  • HPWUrobertHPWUrobert Posts: 612 admin
    #323 June, 2020, 05:17 pm.

Note about OS betas: Niantic apps may not function on devices running beta versions of iOS or Android.

• KimDawgKimDawg Posts: 1
    #424 June, 2020, 01:23 am.

I just updated to beta iOS 14 and am having the same issue. No login screen. Simply a quick black screen.

• Warbler36Warbler36 Posts: 1
    #508 July, 2020, 04:35 pm.

Same

• bigdogwalkerbigdogwalker Posts: 1
    #609 July, 2020, 11:04 pm.

Same. Now I see that there was a tweet about Niantic apps on betas.

However would have been better to proactively advise users as an in-game message so that everyone was aware.

• MommakaliMommakali Posts: 1
    #715 July, 2020, 05:20 pm.

Is there any known time frame it may be fixed. Other than completely resetting my phone and restarting I am screwed for this brilliant event. I wish I had known because I have no backup from iOS 13 :(

• HPWUrobertHPWUrobert Posts: 612 admin
    #815 July, 2020, 05:39 pm.

iOS 14 will be supported when it is no longer in beta and is an official OS version.

• ArugulamoonArugulamoon Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #915 July, 2020, 05:40 pm.

While Niantic may be looking at how their apps function in new Operating System MAJOR (iOS 13 -> 14 is MAJOR, whereas something like 13.0 -> 13.1 is a MINOR) versions, it is best to assume they are not. Looking at their apps functioning on it would be for getting a sense as to what they will need to make their app work on it/seeing what new things they can do with it. Once an OS leaves Beta and is Released to the Public, then be on the lookout for an app update to make it work on that new OS version. (The speed they get that update out will be linked to the work they do during Beta themselves.)

You should expect that a Product like Wizards Unite to have a FIX for a MINOR version change, but for a MAJOR, it will be IMPLEMENTATION work, not a FIX.

Unfortunately, for many, understanding that Betas are for testing and not for expecting Production apps to work is considered Common Sense. However, Applications in general, Application Development and the Software Development and Delivery Lifecyles associated with them are all still pretty new in the general public, so... it is not Common Sense. Hence, we get Twitter posts about Betas not being supported to try and get the message out. Eventually we will all get to that Common Sense place.

• snarkoursnarkour Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #1017 July, 2020, 09:06 pm.

Here's the problem with that logic. The "crash" here isn't actually a crash, it's some jailbreak detection code with a naive allowlist / regular expression that attempts to validate the OS version and exits if it doesn't match.

We're not asking for a feature to be implemented, we're not asking for iOS 14 beta support to be added. We are asking for this paranoia to be reconsidered, because it's actually counter-productive. iOS betas have the same code signature restrictions as retail, so the "cheating risk" argument is illogical. What Niantic is actually doing here is refusing to allow us to give them free QA work for their app on a pre-production platform. There's minimal risk of contaminating your app store rating / reviews - beta devices aren't even allowed to submit them! Are you worried that your support channels are going to be flooded because someone intelligent enough to run a beta OS is somehow also dumb enough to not comprehend the risks of breaking API changes? Phbpbpbpt.

Apple isn't interested in me jailbreaking my device any more than you are. Let them cover that angle, and let your customers help you test your app for you at no cost and minimal risk to you. I'll go a step further and commit to actually buying in-app purchases by way of thanks.

• sungoldsridersungoldsrider Posts: 1
    #1119 July, 2020, 01:04 am.

I fully agree I guiltily upgraded to beta on my iPhone the risk of one or two apps out for 92 total downloaded to my phone was worth testing new features. Sadly the one app that does not work is this one. I can only use my iPad now and I can’t link my watch to my iPad to track my step. Just this month I have put $30 into the app so my kid and I can take turns playing it. Man such a bummer the one app I open religiously I have to wait till fall again to use.

• RaxalRaxal Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #1219 July, 2020, 02:29 pm.

+1

This is the only one of over 100 apps on my iPhone that isn’t working on the beta. C’mon guys...

• Claudio007Claudio007 Posts: 2
    #1330 July, 2020, 06:28 pm.

Exact same thing happened to me.... thankfully... it works on my iPad.... but annoying.......

• ARoccoCARoccoC Posts: 1
    #1403 August, 2020, 03:42 am.

Same! Following