Approved Waypoints and edits not Syncing (Again!)

124»

Comments

• WinterDrachenWinterDrachen Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited October 28 #9228 October, 2020, 09:23 pm.

Hi dear @HPWUrobert ,

how is it going?

Is everybody ok over there so far away?)

I'd like to know is there something new towards our missing POIs.

We are waiting so much for it to happen...

Halloween event sounds like great fun, but it'll be so cool if our inns come from dead to alive too :)

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ Posts: 18 ✭✭
    #9329 October, 2020, 08:29 am.

Would be handy to know if a fix is on the cards before the end of the year.

• DrakoniteDrakonite Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    #9429 October, 2020, 08:13 pm.

you didnt specify which year :P

#9604 November, 2020, 09:15 pm.

🤞🤞

• cosk62cosk62 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    #9704 November, 2020, 09:18 pm.

HPWUROBERT, thanks for keeping us up to date! Hope this "another" fix works.

• sup3rfmsup3rfm Posts: 19 ✭✭
    #9805 November, 2020, 01:02 am.

Thanks for the update but I can't understand how a game that is dependent on wayspots can afford not syncing them for a third of its existence.

#9911 November, 2020, 11:04 pm.

Any further update on this?

#10012 November, 2020, 03:18 am.

5 months since the last sync in early June 🌚🌚🌚🌚🌚

• itswingleviosaitswingleviosa Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #10112 November, 2020, 07:14 pm.

hello..the problem is that new accepted nominations are appearing in pokemon go and ingriss while not appearing in harry potter map.

any explanation for this please, as a harry potter player I'm experiencing scarcity of green houses and houses while they are eligible appearing in pokemon go maps.

please find below attached two pictures as evidence of the same area in both games.

thank you

• fourplus4fourplus4 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    #10212 November, 2020, 07:36 pm.

Been an issue for a while now, the main thread is linked below. The last page has updates from staff, tldr they activity working on a fix

https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/7360/approved-waypoints-and-edits-not-syncing-again/p1

#10414 November, 2020, 09:14 am.

The explanation @itswingleviosa is that something they did borked the sync system and they’ve been looking at workarounds and fixes but as per the known issues list it’s been fairly low priority

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    #10516 November, 2020, 01:30 pm.

Were this to happen to Pokemon GO, this bug would have been resolved in days or weeks, tops.

I don't believe there are actually people working on this, because something as basic as a database synchronization should NOT take 6 months to fix. This hasn't worked in HPWU for half a year now, and things like this start to worry me. HPWU's revenue isn't a fraction of that of Pokemon GO, but it does have a big (and expensive) franchise license from WB/Rowling. Are we sure this game will still exist in 2021?

#10617 November, 2020, 08:42 pm.

Were this to happen to Pokemon GO, this bug would have been resolved in days or weeks, tops.

I agree with that. The Pokémon GO fan base is more vocal.

HPWU's revenue isn't a fraction of that of Pokemon GO, but it does have a big (and expensive) franchise license from WB/Rowling. Are we sure this game will still exist in 2021?

I believe it still will exist and I’d appreciate a “behind the scenes” look as much as they can for why this was a big issue. Niantic’s other main game, Ingress, makes next to nothing but gets all the POI. However they are looking to introduce a VIP subscription into that. Maybe they’ll do the same for this game.

• sup3rfmsup3rfm Posts: 19 ✭✭
    #10717 November, 2020, 11:48 pm.

@HPWUrobert No update?

• BenTigerBenTiger Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭
    #10818 November, 2020, 08:09 am.

@PkmnTrainerJ I am surprised that Ingress is still going. The community there is so toxic that they chase away most new players. It is so bad that their players, in my area, are known for stalking people new to the area, following them home, then making threats if they "invade their territory" again. I had no clue that they were introducing a VIP system... but then again, I refuse to reinstall that game, due to the players in their community.

With that said, the maps on PoGo and HPWU are updated based off of primarily Ingress data, still; since the Wayfarer database was created for Ingress. People can also submit to it through PoGo, but I doubt that we will have the opportunity to submit through HPWU any time in the new future, since they can't even fix bugs that have been in existance for almost half the life of the game.

edited November 18 #10918 November, 2020, 08:18 am.

ingress is:

1. the only game niantic really controls, pogo can be stopped at any time by the pokemon company, and wu (and catan) are developed and controlled by their own respective corps who can also stop them at any time.
    2. ingress IS the poi database, thats where all the stuff happens, even w pogo nominations and wayfarer. This is their product theyre not gonna stop ingress, especially when it must cost them next to nothing to maintain.
  • Bman2018Bman2018 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #11018 November, 2020, 08:32 am.

@BenTiger This toxic behaviour in Ingress you mention certainly does not reflect all players in Ingress. I play all 3, (soon to be 4) Niantic games and I can certainly tell you that toxic behaviour finds its way in no matter what is done to wean it out, whether it be territorial ingress players, abusive pogo players fighting for a gym and other behaviours non-conducive to the way Niantic games are wished to be played. It still only represents an overall small minority but it certainly can as you have described, push people away when we would rather have them enjoy the experience without intimidation.

I would probably say that Ingress is the most toxic, after all its gameplay can make players quite adversarial and territorial. It has also had the most time for this toxicity to develop and fester in various ingress communities. But the majority of fair and friendly ingress players that promote inclusion of new players you never often hear about.

Anyway I do hope this sync issue is on the way to a successful fix, especially when the next game Catan: World Explorers as far as I am aware has not inherited the same issue.

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    #11118 November, 2020, 10:56 am.

I have similar experiences in Ingress (even a player running after me screaming my name) but would agree toxicity isn't limited to that game. It's just humans I'm afraid.

Ingress is still going because it has served (and still serves) as a tool to build and maintain the game map. It also doesn't require any licensing from big franchises, because it's Niantic own creation. With a revenue this low, especially compared to PoGo, it must be the only reason it still exists. Plus, the trading in our location and behavioral data of course: https://sensortower.com/ios/publisher/niantic-inc/1037205060

It's just that when bugs like this remain unfixed (a good POI database is the foundation of a GPS game!) and seeing other signs of a declining playerbase (i.e. my friends list which I just halved because on inactive players) I start to worry. It IS a nice game after all.

#11218 November, 2020, 02:35 pm.

@Drakonite , can you share a link to the source of the Catan info (that it's developed by Catan with a license from Niantic, rather than the other way around). Just curious, and sorry for piling up on off-topic in this thread. I could not find a way to send a private message on this forum.

#11318 November, 2020, 04:50 pm.

This thread suddenly became more active. Sorry to see that people have had bad Ingress experiences. People can be very possessive on all things. Have had Pokémon GO players complain that I was taking “their” gym and such.

Ingress will stick around regardless as it can be propped up by the other games but would be nice to see it make money.

Anyways, hopeful for a fix before the end of the year. Plenty of new POI to sync across.

• WinterDrachenWinterDrachen Posts: 19 ✭✭
    #11421 November, 2020, 02:00 am.

@HPWUrobert hi there!

How is it going?

Were there some more specific news than "till the end of the year"? :)

It is really hard to like something that isn't reciproc. :/

#11523 November, 2020, 07:28 pm.

Whilst we are at the start of a new week, any chance of an update before December (2020)? Even if just a “we are working on it” holding response?