[Guide] Fortress Strategies Explained

LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Wizarding Challenges + Professions #1 latest comment 14 June, 2020, 06:41 am.

This guide is structured into 3 parts:

• An overview over the 3 professions
  • An overview over the 6 enemy types
  • Detailed Strategies (including Do's and Dont's regarding Strategic Spells) for each of the 3 Professions

WARNING: This is a long post. If you only want to know what's important for your Profession, feel free to skip part 1 and 2

Profession-Overview

Each of the 3 Professions has its own niche:

• Magizoologists have the most STAMINA, PROTEGO POWER, DEFICIENCY DEFENSE, DEFENSE and INITIAL FOCUS
  • Professors have the most PROFICIENCY POWER, ACCURACY and MAXIMUM FOCUS
  • Aurors have the most POWER, PRECISION, CRITICAL POWER and DEFENSE BREACH

As such Aurors are built almost exclusively on offense - lacking defensive and utility stats

Magizoologists are built almost exclusively on defense - lacking offensive and utility stats

Professors are built almost exclusively on utility - lacking defensive and offensive stats

The game however has provided each profession with 4 Strategic Spells. Using those:

• Aurors can compensate their lack of defense and utility by reducing the abilities of their enemies
  • Professors can compensate their lack of defense by shielding themselves and others, and can compensate their lack of offensive stats by hexing their enemy to take additional damage
  • Magizoologists can empower their Allies against Elite Foes and compensate the lack of survivability of their allies through healing and reviving charms. Additionally MZ can further elongate their own life to simply outlast their enemies.

Enemy-Overview

Enemies come in 3 categories: Beasts, Dark Forces and Curiosities (not to mistake for Oddities - the two are very different)

Beasts consist of Acromantulas and Erklings,

Dark Forces consist of Death Eaters and Dark Wizards

Curiosities consist of Werewolves and Pixies

In terms of stats, those enemies have different strengthes and weaknesses:

• Acromantulas have no dodge, defense or defense breach.
  • Erklings have 0/5/25/40/60% Dodge
  • Dark Wizards have 0/5/15/30/50% Defense and 0/0/10/20/40% Defense Breach.
  • Death Eaters like Acromantulas have no supporting stats.
  • Werewolves have 0/5/25/40/60% Defense and 0/0/0/10/30% Defense Breach.
  • Pixies like Erklings have 0/5/25/40/60% Dodge

In terms of STAMINA they rank:

1. Death Eaters
  2. Acromantulas
  3. Werewolves
  4. Erklings
  5. Dark Wizards
  6. Pixies

And in terms of POWER they rank:

1. Acromantulas
  2. Pixies
  3. Werewolves
  4. Dark Wizards
  5. Erklings
  6. Death Eaters.

(which makes Acromantulas the most frightening Foes overall and Death-Eaters the pathetic equivalent of Magizoologists)

Strategies:

Auror

The strength of Aurors comes from being able to critical hit for insanely high damage. That is further empowered by the Profession Lessons:

• DANCING WITH DUMMIES (increasing the chance to critically hit full-health-foes)
  • THE TRICK WITH DEATH EATERS (increasing the chance to critically hit Death Eaters)
  • FIRST STRIKE (increasing the critical damage against full-health-foes)

However, Aurors are quite fragile. To mitigate that, they can learn the Lesson

• PLAYING DIRTY (increasing defense against lower-than-half-health-foes)
  • MUNDUNGUS AMONG US (increasing protego power against Dark Wizards)

Additionally, they can use the strategic Spells

• WEAKENING HEX (reducing Foe Power)
  • CONFUSION HEX (reducing Foes Defence+Dodge+DefenceBreach)

Now when and where to use them?

• WEAKENING HEX should primarily used against Acromantulas, Pixies, Werewolves and Dark Wizards
  • CONFUSION HEX should primarily be used against Erklings, Werewolves, Dark Wizards.

Where to not use them?

• Do NOT use Confusion Hex on Pixies in DARK-Chambers
  • NEVER use Confusion Hex on Death Eaters and Acromantulas.
  • NEVER use Bat-Bogey-Hex against full-health-foes.
  • NEVER use Weakening Hex against Erklings and Death Eaters.

Aurors have another strategic Spell though:

• FOCUS CHARM (transfers 1 Focus to a team-member)

When to use it?

• At the beginning of a Challenge cast it 3x on a Professor (for the Proficiency-Power Charm)
  • Cast it 1-2x on a Magizoologist after Bravery charm has been cast

Which Enemies to fight when there are no Dark Forces?

1. Use Confusion Hex on full-health Pixies, engage them, hit them once and then LEAVE before they hit back
  2. Use Confusion Hex on Erklings before engaging and defeating them
  3. Use Confusion Hex and Weakening Hex on Werewolves before engaging and defeating them

AVOID ACROMANTULAS AT ALL COST

Professors

The Strength of Professors comes from Utility. As such, Professors gain Power and Defense when they have a number of Enhancements and/or their Enemies have a number of Impairments. That is enabled by the Lessons:

• RESTRICTED SECTION (increases defense against once-impaired foes)
  • SPARRING SPECIFICS (increases defense against twice-impaired foes)
  • CONFIDENCE (increases defence when once-enhanced)
  • TEAM TEACHING (increases defence when twice-enhanced)
  • STRENGTH IN NUMBERS (ingreases Power when once-enhanced)
  • TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK (increases Power when twice-enhanced)
  • ON SABBATICAL (increases power against trice-impaired foes)
  • PESKY PIXIES (increases accuracy against Pixies)
  • FULL MOON HUNTER (increases defense breach against Werewolves)

Further, Professors can learn 4 Strategic Spells to aid them and their allies:

• DETERIORATION HEX (damages foes each time they attack or defend)
  • PROFICIENCY POWER CHARM (increases team proficiency power) -> Group-Enhancement
  • PROTECTION CHARM (increases defence of a single team-member or self)

To enable their "enhancement"-based Bonuses, Professors can do a number of things:

• Cast PROFICIENCY POWER CHARM on the group (counts as +1 Enhancement)
  • Cast PROTECTION CHARM on themselves and other Professors (counts as +1 Enhancement)
  • Ask Magizoologists to cast Bravery-Charm
  • Use Exstimulo, Dawdle, TTD, Baruffios or Wit-Sharpening potion (counts as +1 Enhancement each as long as they're active). Keep in mind that Dawdle, TTD and Baruffios can only be used BEFORE entering the Fortress.

As for the Strategic Spells, when should they be used?

• PROFICIENCY POWER CHARM should be used as quickly as possible
  • PROTECTION CHARM should first be used on self, then on Aurors. Use on Magizoologist only when there are lots of Beasts and/or the MZ seems to be struggling and/or you have ample focus
  • DETERIORATION HEX should be used primarily on Death Eaters, Acromantulas, Werewolves, Erklings

Are there mistakes that could be made using the Strategic Spells?

• Don't cast Deterioration Hex on Pixies and on Dark Wizards UNLESS all Team-Members (including MZ) have a PROTECTION CHARM on them and the PROFICIENCY POWER CHARM has been cast.

Which Enemies should be fought when there are no Curiosities?

1. Engage R1-R4 Erklings and defeat them.
  2. Engage R5 Erklings ONLY when Confusion Hex has been cast on them
  3. Engage R1-R3 Dark Wizards and Defeat them.
  4. Engage R4-R5 Dark Wizards ONLY if Confusion Hex has been cast on them
  5. Engage Death Eaters / Acromantulas if you're invulnerable

Magizoologist

Magizoologists Strength comes from having overwhelming Stamina and Defensive Stats. That is further enhanced by the Lessons:

• FORUM QUORUM (increases Defence when above half-health)
  • A BIRD IN HAND (increases Defence when at or above 5 focus)
  • SPIDERS! (increases Defence against Spiders)

Magizoologists tend to have relatively low power and utility in comparison. That is somewhat mitigated through the Lessons:

• BECOME THE BEAST (significantly increases Power when at or above 5 focus)
  • VILE CREATURES (increases Power against Erklings)
  • MINISTRY MAGIZOOLOGY ORIENTATION (increases Power when at or above half-health)

To enable the passive effects, Magizoologists should do the following things:

• Learn all Lessons that increase "Initial Focus"
  • Defeat Enemies that reward the Group with Focus
  • Use Healing Potions to restore Stamina
  • Use Strategic Spells to restore Stamina

Additionally, Magizoologists have a number of Strategic Spells to aid them and their allies:

• STAMINA CHARM (restores Stamina of Team-Members or self)
  • BRAVERY CHARM (increases Power against Elite Enemies) -> Group Enhancement
  • REVIVE CHARM (restores a knocked-out Ally and restores their health)

How to best use these Spells:

• Cast BRAVERY CHARM when at 11 or 12 FOCUS. If used at 11 Focus either use an Invigoration Draught or wait for a short moment before returning to battle
  • Use REVIVE CHARM on knocked-out allies
  • Use STAMINA CHARM on self or other Magizoologists

How to not use them:

• Do NOT use STAMINA CHARM on Aurors or Professors, instead wait for them to be knocked out and use REVIVE CHARM instead. EXCEPTION: if you have ample Focus

What Enemies to fight when there are no Beasts?

1. R1-R3 Pixies.
  2. R4-R5 Pixies ONLY when either Deterioration Hex or Confusion Hex has been cast on them
  3. Death Eaters.
  4. Dark Wizards ONLY when Confusion Hex has been cast on them
  5. Werewolves ONLY when Confusion Hex has been cast on them

Other Notes / Advice:

• Magizoologists and Professors can become invulnerable to damage. See here for details.

Comments

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #211 June, 2020, 03:07 pm.

Just a note for professors: As Lucoire says, proficiency should go up as soon as possible AND shields should be cast on aurors and professors as soon as possible. Different people will suggest different orders. It doesn't matter, as long as both go up soon.

Proficiency first advantage: Foes become easier to fight, meaning more focus is gained more quickly.

Shields first advantage: Aurors are more likely to survive their first foe, and can often survive until after bravery is cast, if the professor is able to shield aurors straight away. It takes a lot of pressure off the magizoologist.

• ElisaWilsonElisaWilson Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    #311 June, 2020, 03:55 pm.

Great summary! It would've been of great help for me months ago.

Small note: For the Aurors, you haven't described what the Bat-Bogey-Hex does. You mention it later in the category "Where not to use them".

And a suggestion: add the focus cost of different charms. I think it'd be helpful for the players to know how much the charms of the other professions cost. (I, as a Magizoo, only know how much the proficiency charm costs.)

Regarding the exception of using Stamina Charm: Stratigically, you're right. I do wait for people to get knocked out so I can immediately revive them. Because of the lacking means of communication on the KB more often than not my teammates either stop playing and wait for me to give them stamina, or they pop a healing potion if they've taken a lot of damage. We need a button saying "Don't worry, I'll revive you."

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #411 June, 2020, 04:06 pm.

Auror:

Weakening: 1 focus

Confusion: 1 focus

Bat bogey: 0 focus

Magizoologist

Full revive: 1 focus

Partial heal: 2 focus

Bravery: 7 focus

*Note: Magizoologists need 5 focus minimum, or their power drops by 40.

Professor

Proficiency: 7 focus

Shield: 3 focus per shield / person

Deterioration Hex: 3 focus

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #511 June, 2020, 04:07 pm.

@ElisaWilson

Thanks for the comments.

The Bat-Bogey-Hex costs no Focus and does a tiny little bit of Damage. Similarly to the Zero-Focus-Spells of the other 2 Professions it has no "real" significance and therefore I've omitted mention it.

As for the Stamina Charm, you're right. I should have mentioned that

AURORS AND PROFESSORS SHOULD NOT WAIT FOR HEALING

(as Reviving costs 1 Focus and restores 70-100% Stamina while the Stamina Charm costs 2 Focus and restores 15-30% Stamina)

Rather, they should continue fighting to ensure that the MZ has enough Focus to revive them. Alternatively, Aurors could just give Focus to the MZ - in most cases however there are better uses for that focus.

That being said, I only mentioned Healing Potions for MZ because their power and defence is actually impacted by their stamina.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #711 June, 2020, 08:03 pm.

@MtPollux I didn't know that, Thank you.

• SeaChleSeaChle Posts: 24 ✭✭
    #811 June, 2020, 09:07 pm.

This is fantastic! Thanks, @Lucoire !

One request I ask of Aurors is this: Please send Focus after you’ve been revived - particularly if the Bravery Charm hasn’t been played. If we get a tough fortress and I have to spend most of my incoming Focus to revive Aurors, I can’t get the Bravery out to enhance the professors or tackle the elites.

And yes, thank you for reminding everyone that reviving is vastly better than the stamina boost!

• BluesAngryBluesAngry Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited June 12 #912 June, 2020, 01:01 pm.

@Lucoire Great guide, I didn't know that acromantulas and pixies are very dangerous.

These are my professor tips:

Mending charm can make any player like invulnerable if the foe gives low damage, there are many magizoologists and professors who have maxed out their mending charm. Because mending charm can be cast by both proffesors and magizoologists, it could be useful. For example if a death eater which is the last foe gives -10 damage and there are 3 magizoologists and professors, if they cast their +4 mending to the player, the player will receive +2 stamina after the foe damaged them. So it can make any player like invulnerable to damage from the foe plus a minor healing which is free.

When I play solo, I cast the shield charm first because there aren't many curiosities. I usually don't cast the proficiency charm but it must be cast after the shield if it is a hard chamber. When I play with a group I cast the profiency first because if the players choose the right foe, all the foes will be affected by it. After that I shield the aurors first, then myself, then magizoologists, then if the professors didn't shield theirselves, professors who aren't shielded because they can shield theirselves(Aurors and magizoologists can't shield theirselves so they need a shield and to make other proffesors focus on casting their shields to magizoologists and aurors I need to cast the shield charm to myself. If I have extra focus and there are professors who aren't shielded, I cast the charm to them.).

I agree about the deterioration is the last one to be used, I cast it after everyone has a shield and proficiency. I didn't know that acromantulas and death eaters has a lot of stamina, so a professor should starting hexing them first.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭
    #1014 June, 2020, 06:41 am.

And dont rely on magiz to fight other than spider/erkling. Because magiz damage pretty much static (critical only happened occasionally). While we could defeat other than beasts it could take much time.

With meager 109 damage againt godzilla like stamina in high chamber. Sigh

Even with spider if its fierce (5star) and damage only come out normal, it will take time too.