Tutorial: Mentor

LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 16 July, 2020, 02:20 pm.

Mentor - Stage 1: balanced NPC-Group

At any fortress, a player can enter a "mentor"-mode where (s)he has to guide and advise a group of AI players through a Fortress-Challenge:

• The group consists of a random composition, consisting of at least 1 member per Profession
  • The Mentor can NOT actually fight but also does not have to use a runestone to participate
  • The Mentor should advise the group on Profession-Enemy-Pairings as well as the order in which enemies are to be engaged
  • The Mentor should also advise the group on when and which of their strategic spells are to be used
  • The AI players will sometimes (randomly) use potions to aid themselves
  • If the Mentor does not advise the group, the AI-players will make random choices (with a slight tip towards "smart" usage of strategic spells and enemy-selection)

If the guided NPC-Group is successful, this counts as "Participated in a Fortress-Challenge" (for the daily assignment) and rewards the player with an additional 10 gold coins - only once per day however.

Mentor - Stage 2: unbalanced NPC-Group

Once the aspiring Mentor has successfully guided 10 consecutive "Stage 1"-Groups through their Challenge, (s)he can then (at any Fortress) offer to guide a more difficult group of AI players through a Fortress:

• The group consists of a random composition, consisting of 3-5 players of at most 2 different professions.
  • The mentor can not actually fight and has to use a runestone to participate. If the Group is unsuccessful, the runestone will not be reimbursed.
  • The Mentor has to command the group on Profession-Enemy-Pairings as well as the order in which Enemies are to be engaged
  • The Mentor has to command the group on when and which of their strategic spells are to be used
  • The AI players will not use potions
  • If the Mentor does not take action, the AI players won't do anything.

If the guided NPC-Group is successful, this counts as "Participated in a Fortress Challenge" (for the daily assignment. Additionally, a runestone of the same family that the Mentor used is rewarded (at least the same rank with a chance to upgrade to a higher rank), and the Mentor is rewarded with 10 coins - up to 3 times per day.

Mentor - Stage 3: random Player Group

Once the aspiring Mentor has successfully guided 10 consecutive "Stage 2"-Groups through their challenge, he is given the option to guide a Player-Group through a Fortress. If the Group is unsuccessful, the Mentor can't access "Stage 3" for the rest of the day (resets at 0:00 local time each day)

• The group consists of a live composition - as random as they come. The Names are anonymized though.
  • The Mentor can not actually fight and has to use a runestosne to participate. If the Group is unsuccessful, the runestone is not reimbursed
  • The Mentor actually sees who has how much Focus and Spell-Energy (current only, not max) and which talents each player has. As such, the mentor may advise/coordinate the group (similarly to Stage 1 & Stage 2)

If the guided player group is successful, this counts as "Participated in a Fortress Challenge" (for the daily assignment). Additionally, there's a counter in the Player-Profile indicating how many successful Player-Groups the Mentor has guided/advised.

As with Stage 2, the Runestone "invested" by the Mentor will be returned upon successfully guiding the group - with a 50/50% change of an upgrade to a (random) higher level. And as with Stage 2, the Mentor is rewarded 10 gold - but without daily limitation.

That being said, any "unsuccessful" mentoring will block the Mentor from guiding another Player group for the rest of the day.

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7 #207 June, 2020, 11:06 pm.

Answers to Anticipated Questions:

• The Player Group will be informed that they're being mentored
    • The Mentor can only receive a maximum of 10g per day through Stage 1. If they did 3x "Stage 2" followed by 1x "Stage 1", they will not receive 10 gold from Stage 1 as they're already above what the "NPC"-Challenge is supposed to provide them with. Also, if they do 2x "Stage 3" and then fail the 3rd "Stage 3", they may do 1x "Stage 2" for an additional 10g (which brings them to a total of 30g for that day)
    • The "Runestone"-Upgrade isn't limited per day.
    • There "might" be a requirement before players actually unlock this feature - maybe L40, maybe "completing their first Profession"
    • Maybe add a Stage 4 - difficulty-mode with AI and "additional modifiers" like "1 player will regularly disconnect and reconnect - thereby being unresponsive" or "1 Player has really low Spell-Energy" or "1 Player is massively under-leveled for the challenge" or "2 Players have unbalanced Skill-Trees" (imagine Glass-Aurors with maximum power but almost no Stamina)
    • If a Player choses to guide a Player group, a random group is selected from ANYWHERE in the world - including but not limited to the Knight Bus.
  • Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #314 July, 2020, 06:43 pm.

@Lucoire I like this idea and the fact that it helps both the mentors and the teams. Mentors will gain better insight into team play, and players learn from a more experienced player.

I do have a couple of questions.

1) How will the mentor advise and will language be a barrier? You spoke about random pairings throughout the world, so linguistic barriers have to be factored in.

2) How much freedom do mentored teams have? If a team completely ignores their mentor and they lose through no fault of the mentor, who offered sound advice, would that be fair?

3) Do players have the opportunity to opt out of having a mentor? You said informed, but is there an opt out? If I am with my usual team and we know our strategies, we don't want or need a random mentor interfering.

So, in short, this is a great idea to support newer players understanding team play, and older players understanding each other's roles and strategies, but I am interested in the mechanics and flexibility of it.

#414 July, 2020, 06:59 pm.

@Magpie31 Thank you for your feedback. As for the Questions:

1) How will the mentor advise and will language be a barrier? You spoke about random pairings throughout the world, so linguistic barriers have to be factored in.

I was thinking of using "Symbols" that already exist in the game and "gestures" (or the symbolic indication of such) - as neither would have to be translated and would work universally.

2) How much freedom do mentored teams have? If a team completely ignores their mentor and they lose through no fault of the mentor, who offered sound advice, would that be fair?

That's a good question that I don't have a prepared answer for. That being said, "sound advice" is difficult to measure so it would be equally difficult to assess if following the mentor's advice would have resulted in a different result - if the game can do that (by simulating "obedience" and replacing the "disobedient players" with AI for the simulation), then I don't see why not to count it as a "success" for the Mentor even if the Group itself failed.

That said, this is just me brainstorming.

3) Do players have the opportunity to opt out of having a mentor? You said informed, but is there an opt out? If I am with my usual team and we know our strategies, we don't want or need a random mentor interfering.

I also don't have a prepared answer for this but I would say "no". The reason is that being a mentor isn't an indication of omniscience - if you play with your preformed group, that could be a good opportunity for the Mentor to gain insight into different strategies and enhance their own knowledge of the game. And even with your preformed group, a mentor could give good advice that any of you may have missed.

We all make mistakes, we all can learn more and do better. When collaborating and reviewing each other's work, the chance or error drops and the potential for growth expands.

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #516 July, 2020, 12:51 am.

@Lucoire I continue to be impressed with your thoughtfulness and clear discussions.

That BA in Art history has served you very well! Kidding

Great article and suggestions.

edited July 16 #616 July, 2020, 09:22 am.

@Skaana Art history graduates get a bad reputation. Possibly the best and most inspirational teacher I have worked with was an art history graduate, who went on to do a PhD in early childhood education. So thoughtful and creative and knowledgeable.

Pretty much any degree you do teaches critical thinking and academic writing, so I really do find it quite discouraging to see these sorts of comments, even perpetuated as jokes.

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #716 July, 2020, 12:31 pm.

@MAGPIE31 thank you for your comment.

#816 July, 2020, 01:27 pm.

@Skaana Not trying to be a ****, just see these sorts of comments a lot and, as an educator, I find them a bit irritating. It wasn't personal.

#916 July, 2020, 02:20 pm.

I've given @Magpie31's comment and questions more thought and would like to clarify a few things:

The Mentor is NOT a puppetmaster - and far from being intended as such.

The mentor is intended as an advisor, as someone who has a more thorough insight into each player's situation due to being able to see each player's Focus, Stats and Abilities. A team that is good on its own and doesn't "need" any advice probably should not be "forced" to listen to the mentor.

In "FinalFantasy XIV", the game that I took inspiration from when designing this system, the Mentor has to go through a very thorough set of tests and trials before being granted the Titel "Mentor" and the Powers&Responsibilities that come with it. There, Mentors are advised to guide players WHEN NEEDED but to also allow them to freely explore the game when there is no guidance needed.

So the most important "task" that a Mentor in HPWU would have is to decide on whether and what sort of guidance/advice is needed. Maybe 4 of the players are doing really well and only one of them needs a little push in the right direction? Maybe the team is really competent with the Enemy-Choices but not that good with Strategic spells - or vice-versa?

And maybe - as I hinted at in my previous comment - even the Mentor can learn something from the team (s)he advises.