Charms Cast

MagalianMagalian Posts: 13 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 25 May, 2020, 09:03 pm.

I know there are green boxes under our names and teammates showing that charms have been cast, but it isn’t easy to tell what’s been cast and who cast it.

I think it would be great if the boxes were each set to a specific charm (i.e. proficiency, shields, bravery) and then filled with the color assigned to the teammate who cast it.

Then you can see that Bravery, etc is cast before engaging with a foe.

Comments

• CrogabattoirCrogabattoir Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    #223 May, 2020, 08:53 pm.

What does ot mean when the health bar turns from green to blue?

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #324 May, 2020, 11:48 am.

Why do we need to see who cast the Charm? 🤔

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #424 May, 2020, 12:36 pm.

@Lucoire it may not always matter who cast the charms, but sometimes it could be a useful data point. For example, in a chamber with 2 professors perhaps one has cast proficiency and applied a shield to 2 teammates, while the other one has cast no charms. Knowing this would make it clear where the aurors should send their focus.

edited May 24 #524 May, 2020, 12:41 pm.

@MtPollux

But wouldn't that also encourage players to evaluate - and in extend "judge" - each other?

(And judging - as we can probably all agree - would harm the community)

EDIT: it would make players consider "Hex"-Focussed Professors or "Heal"-Focussed Magizoologists to be "bad players". If instead it was made visible which Player has how much Focus, that issue could be avoided.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #624 May, 2020, 01:21 pm.

Of course it would encourage players to evaluate the performance of those with whom they are battling. How else can one make a strategic decision, such as "to whom should I pass my available focus?"

Identifying which player has cast which charms wouldn't cause anyone to consider any particular strategy to be bad. People already have opinions about what they consider bad gameplay. This change would just sometimes allow players to make decisions consistent with what they already consider to be good or bad play.

I don't disagree that showing how much focus each player has would be helpful, but that is not a direct substitution for this suggestion.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #724 May, 2020, 01:25 pm.

@Lucoire I think it might be useful for aurors to see who has put bravery up, so they can pass focus. It is so easy to drop below 5 and lose beast for magis.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #824 May, 2020, 01:31 pm.

I was just gonna suggest what Magpie said. If bravery went up really quickly, I might throw focus towards that magi to help keep them at five.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #924 May, 2020, 01:42 pm.

@Lucoire Just spotted your edit about focus. Yes, that would be an alternative.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1024 May, 2020, 03:00 pm.

I think this is a really good idea just to help the players know where and who to help. When I cast bravery I loose 7 focus and can’t/won’t play again until I have 5 focus so if people see I cast bravery perhaps they would be more inclined to assist me. Right now we are fortressing in the dark most days so this would be one way for us to kind of know what is going on.

#1124 May, 2020, 06:52 pm.

@Lucoire can you explain how “a heal focused magizoologist” would be considered a bad player? Isn’t that one of the magizoo’s priorities in a fortress battle? I personally cast bravery when I have enough focus and am then constantly watching my team mates to make sure they are OK and bring back anyone who needs revived/healed.

edited May 24 #1224 May, 2020, 07:04 pm.

@ClairabusGryff

Well, the original suggestion was, to highlight the Group-Buffs and who cast them. That might be used by players to determine "who was active" (in the sense of "Used his strategic spell to empower the Group") and who wasn't. A Magizoologist that didn't cast a Group-Buff but instead Healed or Revived would - by that system - be considered "not active". And a superficial Player would consider such "inactive" Team-Member a bad player. Similarly how a superficial Player would consider a "hexing" Professor bad while considering a "charming" Professor good.

That's why I suggested to avoid visualising "who cast which buff" and instead suggested visualising Focus-Levels. That way all Players who used their strategic Spells would be visualized:

• Buff'ing Players
    • Debuff'ing Players
    • Healing/Reviving Players

EDIT: That being said, I do like the first part of the suggestion: visualizing which buffs have been cast. That's something that would be a most welcome improvement. I would simply omit visualising "who did it".

Post edited by Lucoire on
    #1324 May, 2020, 11:54 pm.

@Lucoire while I understand fully what you are saying I do feel like it is important for the Knight bus to have some kind of transparency to see of the people playing who is doing what. Wether it be a number underneath each players name how many foes they have conquered or who have cast what buff or how many times they have hexed or brought back how many of their teammates. Some way of knowing who is doing what so the other players know where to fill in the gaps. Not because it is a way to keep track of “bad players” simply because there are too many bugs to know. But it gives the other players on the team an opportunity pick up the slack for the players that are potentially dealing with those bugs. Right now we are completely laying in the dark with a lack of fortressing communication this idea gives us an idea of where we all as a team can help and pick up the potential slack.

#1425 May, 2020, 02:49 am.

@ClairabusGryff let's agree to disagree then.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    #1525 May, 2020, 03:35 am.

I like the idea of clearly show what kind of charm or hexes they got. Its informative

#1625 May, 2020, 09:03 pm.

Agreed @Lucoire 👌😁