Please Increase Timer for Players Joining a Fortress at the Last Second

SeaChleSeaChle Posts: 7 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 05 June, 2020, 10:39 pm.

I couldn’t find a previous request for this, but perhaps I missed something...

A few times now, I’ve inadvertently joined a Knight Bus fortress at the VERY last second. I mean: pick runestone —> see flash of waiting area —> drop into battle.

It doesn’t allow us time to check the team composition and decide if we want to join. I don’t mind occasionally joining an off-balance team or going into Dark V as a team of two (happened last night), but I want to have the ability to choose when I do so.

For example, if someone joins the waiting area with fewer than 10 seconds on the clock, it’d be nice to bump the clock by 10 seconds to allow the newcomer (and those waiting!) to make a final go/no-go choice (times listed are just examples, I’m sure there are many arguments for different amounts).

Another option would be to show the current waiting area countdown next each chamber out in the Knight Bus lobby where all of the chambers are listed so we can decide if we want to hurry to get in or wait out the clock.

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22 #222 May, 2020, 03:35 pm.

Welcome to the Community @SeaChle, and thank you for your suggestion. 😊

I think the first part is a really good idea, and should be easy to implement. 👍️

The second Part - the one with displaying the timers - might be more difficult, as there might be more than 1 group in any given chamber. That would then result in more than one timer to be displayed, which could confuse people. 😅

Another addition that I thought of was that

• If there are only 10s left on the clock in the waiting area, players can only leave but not join.
    • Players trying to join would then create a new waiting-group instead.

What do you think? 🧐

• SeaChleSeaChle Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #322 May, 2020, 04:05 pm.

Thank you, @Lucoire !

I agree, I prefer the first option.

What I meant for the second option is, instead of one clock at the top of the main lobby, each chamber in the lobby would have the countdown clock on that chamber’s row, next to the spot where it shows how many players are waiting in that chamber. But I think it could be visually crowded and tedious to implement.

I like your idea of limiting time to come/go!

Another option: eliminate the “auto-join” function and require players to hit “Join” to enter the chamber. If you don’t join before the clock runs out, you don’t play that round. If nothing else, it would give the rest of the team confidence that there’s Proof of Life for all of the people entering the chamber.

• TalathFTalathF Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #405 June, 2020, 04:12 pm.

Basically there are two problems,

- Late incoming players can lead to a line up that they or the present team members don't like, but leaving is no longer possible as the game starts.

- If players press join expecting the current line up to do the challenge together, and suddenly a team member bails, the team can miss out on a profession, which is easily **** in high chambers.

Therefore, please grant extra time if a player enters during the last, say 10, seconds. Furthermore, please undo joins if a player bails.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #505 June, 2020, 04:27 pm.

@SeaChle it is actually possible to have more than one group in a chamber. It’s possible you’ve never seen it, but occasionally you’ll see chambers with more than 4/5 people. Those people have been split into multiple groups, but still the same chamber. That would make a clock display on the outside difficult.

• SeaChleSeaChle Posts: 7 ✭✭
    #605 June, 2020, 10:39 pm.

@Dogoutlaw , good point! I’d forgotten about that. It would certainly complicate the fortress lobby.

@TalathF, it’d be super helpful for both instances!