Using Scrolls to Purchase Spell Books

Crowley1701Crowley1701 Posts: 2
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 22 May, 2020, 02:24 am.

Just a suggestion. allow players to use a certain number of scrolls to purchase spell books. For example, use 20 scrolls to get one spell book. I personally have an enormous amount of scrolls that cannot be used because I have to save up for spell books which are few and far between. Would much rather be able to trade them in for something else like spell books or restricted books (higher purchase cost maybe?)

Thanks

Comments

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #321 May, 2020, 02:20 am.

Welcome to the forum @Crowley1701. It is a good idea that many have had before - great minds think alike! Please don't be discouraged by the negative response.

@Lucoire, I have been around long enough to know that you regularly create new posts that are basically an overly complexed rehash of previous comments and ideas. A little hypocritical to have such a dig at this new poster, no?

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21 #421 May, 2020, 06:30 am.

@Magpie31 accusations again?

But I digress. My comment wasn't intended to be negative. Instead I tried to be understanding with the plea of our new Forum member - expressing that I fully understand his/her frustration. At the same time though, I wanted to show that he/she isn't alone in that frustration and direct him/her into the direction of other likeminded individuals. This was an attempt to encourage the new Forum member to converse with others.

And for Context, when creating the Prefect Initiative, @hpwulola brought up "Duplicate Posts" as one of the most pressing issues that this Forum has and/or will need to adress. You and I know fully well how many posts (bug reports, questions and feature requests) are asking for the almost identical thing.

And I while I don't understand that you feel that way about my posts, none of them have been merged so far by our Moderators - while I've seen a significant number of other Posts being merged. So as long as the Moderators consider my approach acceptable, I would ask you to cease the hostility towards me.

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #521 May, 2020, 06:50 am.

@Lucoire - @Magpie31 isnt being hostile simply pointing out inconsistent behaviour, and her response is gracious

Merging threads is not a usual Moderation task, they are probably exhausted approving walls of text

One non functional measure of site usage are the number of posts, merging takes time to little or no net effect

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #621 May, 2020, 06:59 am.

Actually, I brought up the duplicate posts thing and talked to Lola about it (as you know) in that prefect area. It is a very frustrating phenomenon, multi posting. If you remember, that was at the time when everyone was making 5 new threads a day for friend codes.

Not about flaming every new poster.

Anyway, there's my 2¢.

#721 May, 2020, 07:12 am.

@Lucoire My reply was a little more snippy than necessary, yes. Apologies for that.

But I don't see how a wall of links and calling in the mods is understanding, supportive or welcoming? I know that if I walked in, wrote my first or second post and saw that response, I would be calling you all sorts of names and probably not posting again. Which you might see as beneficial to the community, but there we go.

The welcome was great, the much debated was great. Even one or two links or a "hey, want to read more? You can search and find a whole load of threads". But the phrase "Would you kindly use the search feature" is very aggressive. And asking the mods to wade in, in that very direct tone when it is a new poster, would feel extremely unwelcoming.

As for the other part, I do honestly think that this is no different to what you have done on occasion with your suggestions. I am not criticising the suggestions here, but saying that if duplicate or closely related posts are such a concern for you, then perhaps your suggestions should be posted as replies to the original threads rather than new posts? Admittedly, it will attract less attention that way, but you wanted to keep everything neat and tidy, no?

Look, it is not so much about hostility or aggression towards you, more that I do find it really difficult sometimes to understand where you are coming from. Everything seems so black and white, and that rules exist for other people, not for you. You complain about duplicate topics and walls of text then do exactly that. A lot. Whilst complaining at / about anyone else who does it. And the more I see it, the more frustrated I become, and it gets to the point where I just can't keep my mouth shut.

#921 May, 2020, 07:21 am.

A little hypocritical to have such a dig at this new poster, no?

Accusaton of hypocrisy.

I would be calling you all sorts of names and probably not posting again. Which you might see as beneficial to the community

Accusation of malicious intend.

Not about flaming every new poster.

Accusation of flaming.

... and you seriously ask yourself why I feel that all of you are hostile towards me?

but I honestly believe (...) that a significant portion of players would (...) criticise players who have a different style to theirs.

@Magpie31 Your Quote. And ironically, that's exactly what you've been doing to me. You've expressed that you don't like/understand my style - and you have been harassing me for it.

edited May 21 #1021 May, 2020, 07:32 am.

@Lucoire That quote was about playing styles in battle. Slightly different context.

Not sure where the reference to malicious intent fits in. The bit you quoted was intended as self-deprecating humour. I said I probably wouldn't post again in that scenario, and deflected and potential "Thank God" (from anyone, not necessarily you!) by making an off hand comment about how you might see it as a good thing - not that you would. I think that is a linguistic -/ cultural misunderstanding on that one.

Might I suggest, given that you have quoted someone else as well, that if a few people are seeing the same tone, then there might be something there that you aren't able to see?

I am sorry you feel that I am harassing you. Certainly not the intention. I was simply trying to address you in the straightforward and direct manner in which you post - I thought you would understand and appreciate the honesty and directness a little more, given that it is your own style. Clearly this is not the case.

Edit: I have a feeling we will go round in circles on this one, and that isn't going to help anyone. As I say, "harassment" certainly wasn't intentional.

edited May 21 #1221 May, 2020, 08:12 am.

Take the plank out of your own eye before complaining about the speck of dust in others

Accusation of unreflected criticism.

If you're a thief, accuse your enemies of thievery. If corrupt, accuse your rivals of corruption. If a coward, accuse others of cowardice. Evidence is irrelevant; the goal is to dilute the truth and the case against you with "everyone does it".

(Garry Kasparov)

Following that sentiment, it makes sense that you accuse me of hostility while being hostile towards me. Constant criticism is pointless - as it will be seen as a deflection of your own misdemeanor (even if there is no actual misdemeanor). And yes, I'm fully aware how that might seem ironic to you, given that this thread started by me pointing out duplicate posts before being accused of duplicate posting myself.

Might I therefore suggest a different approach? Maybe not focussing so much on the negativity - as negativity is a self-fueling emotion, something that will only create more of itself - and instead focus on the positive sentiments?

So instead of focussing on the negativity myself and continuing to fuel this already brightly burning fire of hostility, I'll try explaining my intend in the hopes that doing so will help overcome cultural differences:

I understand that it feels frustrating to have enough scrolls but not enough books to purchase Skills. That being said, you're not the first to give a voive to that frustration. It is probably one of the most debated topics.

Expression of Empathy and Support.

What's empathy if not expressing UNDERSTANDING of the intend of another person? What's support if not expressing that they're not alone in their goal? What's support if not directing a person that feels alone in their plea to the place where they find others who share their thoughts and worries?

You might not see it that way, and I understand that.

And to futher promote empathy as an approach, I would like to share the thoughts of an english-native poetry-slammer about the cultural and linguistic differences between english and german: TED-Youtube-Link

#1421 May, 2020, 08:33 am.

Well, Craeft. So far all of the perceived hostility could have been explained as "cultural difference" - as meaning well.

But not you, you've been openly hostile and hateful. You have provided the evidence that the perceived harassment wasn't merely perceived.

• Milliebob13Milliebob13 Posts: 48 ✭✭
    #1521 May, 2020, 09:12 am.

Might I therefore suggest a different approach? Maybe not focussing so much on the negativity - as negativity is a self-fueling emotion, something that will only create more of itself - and instead focus on the positive sentiments?

I was looking forward to seeing you lead by example @Lucoire. I am disappointed.

It is a humble human who can accept criticism and work on their own flaws, instead of projecting blame onto others.

#1621 May, 2020, 09:15 am.

instead of projecting blame onto others.

Could you provide evidence of "projected blame" following the request for more positivity?

#1721 May, 2020, 09:41 am.

Also sidenote @Magpie31:

I remember you commenting on one of my suggestions that you considered it a "duplicate" of another thread... but that comment was removed, wasn't it? And the post you referred to is still there - unmerged.

Maybe, just maybe, that could be a sign that someone who can delete comments disagrees with your assessment?

Another sidenote:

As a result of my comments and tags to moderators, I've seen several posts/threads get merged. So why should I cease that practice if it is approved by the Forum staff?

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    #1821 May, 2020, 10:01 am.

@Crowley1701 Hi! Welcome to the forum community! 😃

That’s a great suggestion, which as some members have mentioned has come up multiple times on the forum. I’m not sure if it’s something that will get implemented or not, but if it is, I wish it happens after we get the new lesson plans, since we currently don’t know how many books and scrolls would be needed for them. No idea, what the developers are planning begins the scenes, I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens. 🤔

I hope to see you around the forum more! 😊

@Lucoire I believe you were trying to help, but next time possibly keep the links to just two or possibly three of the most relevant threads? Nine is a bit intense for any player, let alone a new forum member. 😊

Also, if you don’t mind, may I suggest you use some emojis in your posts? It’s a little hard to always understand what someone may be thinking/feeling by just reading what they have written, as just text can be taken in various different ways by different people. I learnt this myself a while back and started using emojis a little more. A simple smiley can go a long way. 😊

#1921 May, 2020, 10:03 am.

@Imaginatio Thank you for your feedback. I'll keep that suggestion in mind 😊

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    #2021 May, 2020, 10:12 am.

@Lucoire thanks 😊

edited May 21 #2121 May, 2020, 10:18 am.

@Lucoire This isn't a competition. I don't really understand why it needs to be one? I apologised for the snippy tone and how I made you feel. I also clearly said I didn't think this discussion was getting us anywhere.

I am not precious about merging. When I made the comment previously in another post, it was not (as I recall, but could be wrong) a request to merge, but referring you to two other conversations. As far as I know, that comment was not deleted. I don't see why it would have been - nothing controversial, as far as I recall.

Whilst I am not bothered by merging or not merging (duplicate threads, if left uncommented and unattended, fall down the forum anyway), I don't see any harm in it being mentioned / reported. I just think that when it is a new poster, it can be done in a softer way. Sometimes, even niceties can come across as sarcastic or passive aggressive.

#2221 May, 2020, 10:45 am.

@Magpie31

It wasn't intended as a "competition". It was meant to show that from my perspective, the evidence supports my approach. Putting yourself in the position of another person is difficult, I know. It is increasingly difficult, the more the other person is different. So instead of adressing the criticism, I've tried to explain how it looks from my perspective. 😉

I haven't received a single moderation-note in my profile, and I've almost never had any of my posts or comments redacted. And I'm not stating that as a way of saying "I'm better" - because I'm not. I've had at least one of my posts redacted for good reason (mea culpa). 😓

It's an attempt to state that "the evidence doesn't support the criticism". It's trying to show that I have no objective reason to believe that the criticism comes from a position of benevolence - because the evidence available to me doesn't support it. 🤔

That being said, I do thank you for apology. And as I've previously expressed I am sorry for how my "directly to the point"-approach is perceived. I did grow up in a society where it is considered rude to waste someone else's time with banter when they're trying to have a "serious" conversation, where "politeness" is seen as distracting. That's why I focus on being helpful over being "polite" - even though I do try to avoid open rudeness. 😅

So, to provide you with evidence: you've commented either THIS or THIS post with a remark that it was a duplicate of THIS post. And as you can see neither of them has a comment anymore. And please don't take this as a criticism, it is certainly not intended as one. It is trying to provide you with a different perspective. 🤗

edited May 21 #2321 May, 2020, 11:08 am.

@Lucoire Thank you for that reply.

I don't actually remember commenting on either of those posts. Neither of them were posts that I had much to say about, in all honesty. I don't mean to sound rude, it was just that I had no particular opinion either way. The one I remember commenting on was adding a runestone to trace tonic, as I know it was an idea that I and some others had posted about previously.

However, I do take medication that has a side effect of memory loss (when I take a double dose) , so I will happily hold up my hand and say that I could be wrong.

Just a side note, I don't believe moderation notes appear in our profiles. I am aware of one post I had moderated by Lola because it was helping a French poster, and some common French words are starred out. I saw on the post that Lola had edited, but there was nothing on my profile. I believe warnings are the only thing that come up in the profile, not that I have received any of them either. I could be wrong about this - I might just not have seen the right tab!

And yes, as a child of both cultures, I experience it both ways. Often, my native English speaking friends find me too direct, whilst my native German speaking friends find me too apologetic and overly polite. I have to work at both.

edited May 21 #2421 May, 2020, 11:29 am.

The one I remember commenting on was adding a runestone to trace tonic, as I know it was an idea that I and some others had posted about previously.

I remember, Razorgirl created a post on that topic (Link for reference). That's why I wouldn't have created a post for that idea. 😇

I believe warnings are the only thing that come up in the profile, not that I have received any of them either. I could be wrong about this - I might just not have seen the right tab!

(screenshot from my own profile)

Doing a quick search in the Forum, I found THIS post, which seems to imply that warning show up in one way or another.

But as I've said before, I wouldn't have any idea, since I haven't received any of those 😓😓

#2521 May, 2020, 11:35 am.

Thank you for pointing that out @Lucoire. It appears at the bottom of the profile in the mobile browser. But as it is empty, it just redirects back to the main profile page for me. So perhaps it is for posts currently in moderation? As I say, I know of a French one that was edited and that doesn't show up on that page.

No idea on the post then, sorry. As I say, really don't recall commenting.

• hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 761 admin
    #2621 May, 2020, 08:36 pm.

This post was flagged to me by a moderator but it does seem that in the end, we are all getting along. To put it one way, I do hate to see my forum friends fighting. ☺️I hope we all always remember that we are on the same team here and want to encourage an open and welcome community for all.

#2722 May, 2020, 02:24 am.

Shhhh, @hpwulola!!! That's what started all this!! 😂