Professors, Magical Devices & Forest Chamber V

ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 20 in Tips & Tricks #1 latest comment 04 June, 2020, 05:05 am.

The following is written for Professors who have mastered their first lesson plan and reached Grade 15. Although I have professors in mind, the strategies listed below are absolutely relevant to all wizards of any level. Simply make adjustments for your current skill set and profession.

I have been farming Tower Chambers in an effort to earn spell books for my Magizoo. Once the three joke frames are golden, the challenge XP starts to pile up fast. Eventually, you’ll start pondering Magical Devices I & II and how to effectively farm Forest Chamber V. I chose this specific chamber because we have access to all 8 magical devices compared to 6/8 at Forest Chamber IV. The primary issue is potions. Minimizing use of potions is crucial if you want to farm these higher chambers and the current limits with a pair of Cauldrons makes it important to be meticulous when managing potion supply.

The Clock is your Friend

Before I get into potions and foes, I want to share an important strategy. The clock has as important a role at keeping potion use to a minimum as anything else. At FC5, you have 9 minutes with an average of 6-7 foes. If you are clearing the room with more than two minutes left on the clock, you’re not using your potions effectively and this will cost you over the span of multiple chamber battles. I generally aim for 45-90 seconds remaining on the clock when I finish clearing the room. The one caveat to this strategy is energy. Because you are minimizing your use of potions, you’ll burn more energy. The question here is, what would you rather burn more of; potions or energy?

Potions

Until I took potion management seriously, I never realized the invaluable usefulness of the Exstimulo Potion. Not the strong or potent version, which I have used regularly since the game launched last year. I mean the regular exstimulo potion. I considered it a waste of ingredients for a seemingly small effect. I have since learned better as using one keeps me from having to waste better potions when they aren’t necessary. 

The following is a list of the most common foes you will encounter in Forest Chamber V (as of this writing) as well as the potion I recommend using:

1. Pixies - no potions, even for the fierce. Use a regular exstimulo if you must, maybe you’re pushing the clock. Warning! The fierce pixie will hit you hard without your protection charm active.
  2. Wherewolves - reg. exstimulo for Imposing, strong for everything else, including elite.
  3. Acromantula - takes more damage faster than Erklings, strong exstimulo is fine until you get a Dangerous or worse. Then you can up it to a Potent.
  4. Erklings - Dodge king of all foes for Professors. This foe has a better tank than acromantula, strong exstimulo is fine with time and energy, dangerous and above deserve a Potent.
  5. Deatheaters - weaker than Dark Wizards, strong exstimulo is good enough unless they are Dangerous or above. Potent for those.
  6. Dark Wizards - Imposing gets a strong exstimulo, everything above a potent.

Note: I am averaging 1-2 potent, 4-6 strong and a maybe a regular exstimulo per chamber.

Final Tips

• Dark Wizards and Werewolves are the heavy hitters of the bunch for professors. Strongly recommend you cast protection charm on yourself prior to engaging this chamber. This will buff your tank beyond most worries. Of the 10 Forest V chambers I cleared today, I only used 3 healing potions and as many regular exstimulos.
  • Knowing what potions to use on who and when, will help you decide the order by which you engage your foes. I always cast protection charm on myself first and wait for the second foe to spawn before deciding which way to go. I am always working to gain enough ‘returned’ focus to keep using DHex on all my foes. Even if this means engaging my first without DHex because I used up my initial focus with the protection charm. Notice how I avoid using invigorating potions or the proficiency charm. I actually ran into a situation where I could have benefited from a regular invigorating potion; I needed just one more focus. Gonna start making those again.

All the potions I had relegated to the back seat (reg. exstimulo, reg. invigorating, baruffio, etc.) are all now back in play, now that I know what I’m doing. lol

Enhancements

At this point, enhancements haven’t really come into play. I like 30 minute sessions. If I choose I can do 3-4 battles in half an hour; if I push it. Usually though (especially during a brilliant event) I will bust out a baruffio and a TTD, clear the field (map) and jump into a battle. When I am done I return to the map and clear the field again, then jump back into another battle. I don’t get as many battles, yet I gain some nice XP from the map, portkeys and battles combined during my 30 min. session. I made around 10k XP during my last session. Doesn’t seem like much when you need 500k to level up, but the fragments! Mama Mia!

Note: Using a Baruffio and TTD combined with protection charm will activate more enhancements making these battles even easier, but not necessary for Forest Chamber V.

My current progress:

Edit: With the above strategy, wait until you get a critical cast! You'll never enjoy it so much. 😀

Happy Pottering!

Comments

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #220 May, 2020, 05:46 am.

Such a heavy reliance upon potions which cannot be brewed without ingredients - unless bought!

Proper well thought out team play provides a better all round experience

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #320 May, 2020, 05:56 am.

@OriginalCaruso Perhaps I should have mentioned, the above is for solo play.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #420 May, 2020, 05:59 am.

Just a note - if you go into a chamber woth a decent 5 person team, and play your spells right, you don't need potions at all! I rarely use potions, even in Dark 5!

@ZookiTabooki I think I realised the other day from your buffs post, your strategies work great in mid tier chambers, but you need to use different strategies in different chambers, to get the most out of the resources you have. For most people, those levels of potions are just not realistic.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    #520 May, 2020, 06:13 am.

Yeah, i think thats not eco friendly too. But i'm too most of the time fortress solo. Its rare to have encounter a group at higher chamber (or lower) if it did usually i miss them all the time because the lengthy delay.

And now i'm about to move to forest,

thanks for your experience. As magizoo i bet i need more extimulo than any other profession.

#620 May, 2020, 07:27 am.

@Kodokmag -Are you on Discord? If not, please join with the same name and we will find you...

#720 May, 2020, 08:47 am.

@OriginalCaruso i keep my social media as minimum as possible. LoL

dont know anything about discord. often heard about it though

#820 May, 2020, 08:50 am.

@Kodokmag We have an active community on Discord and arrange group fortress sessions if you are interested...

#920 May, 2020, 09:34 am.

@OriginalCaruso thanks for invitation, but for an active group fortress i think i would drag everyone down.

on my end (someone says its my connection even its 4G/LTE) loading time and animation time eat alot of time (about 15 seconds per foe).

even i had to shame my self on ruin chambers where i only fight 1 foe for 5 team battle and then victory screen. reallly shame on me. LoL

had try different internet provider just got better to about 10-12 second now, but always lose on picking on a foe at battle lobby (ruin chambers rules apparenty about first pick first serve).

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1020 May, 2020, 10:43 am.

@ZookiTabooki if your primary goal is to grind for red books, wouldn't it be much more efficient to do ruins chambers to get your books pages up to gold? You could achieve the same effect (maxing out a challenge registry page to get 1200 CXP every time you place an item again) while using no potions, less time, and a fraction of the spell energy.

If your primary goal is to max out the magical devices pages then this sounds like an interesting take on how to do so as quickly as possible as a solo player.

#1120 May, 2020, 05:22 pm.

@MtPollux Up until now and for the foreseeable future, I grind tower chambers predominately for red books and fragments. I do this as I don't want to use potions while I rebuild my stock. I crush everything at that level which is helpful for the budding wizards I take into battle with me. Magical devices, a strategy that really helps you get to know your foes intimately, and good potion management for the solo professor at higher levels were initially my goals, but I'm learning, growing, becoming. Nothing remains unchanged forever.

@Magpie31 You inadvertently drove my point home for me. In response to my comments in @Crogabattoir ’s ‘Buffs’ thread you stated;

“So you just want aurors to go through their potions all the time?”

And now you are saying;

“If you go into a chamber with(sic) a decent 5 person team, and you play your spells right, you don’t need potions at all! I rarely use potions, even in Dark 5!”

I suspected as much. Professors take note; This is not the case for professors regardless what team they take in with them.

Some professors may think the way I suggest (here as well as my suggestions for team play in @Crogabattoir ’s ‘Buffs’ thread) is a costly way to go. Well, it is, or it just may be. It also may be depending on the team you take into battle. Professors are leaders. I call it the hidden cost that leaders sacrifice for those on the front lines, for their team. Those on the front lines can’t see the hidden cost of leadership until they have with courage, stuck their necks out and experienced it for themselves. Only then can they understand good leaders willingly accept the sacrifice they make for the team, usually without the team ever being aware (i.e. Baruffio/TTD, Invigorating potions when needed for that extra edge). 

Consider for a moment being a moderator on these forums? Leaders sacrifice, unknowingly to most anyone else.

Only those who have been there, done that…know. Not to mention the added curse of professors being weak on the front end, which requires them to put out more to pull their weight offensively, effectively, especially in Dark chambers. So I’m not faulting anyone here, simply trying to educate the unaware. Please let professors be professors!

May I submit that healing potions are easier to replace than anything else?

Remember, as Aurors are getting weaker defensively the higher they go, Professors are getting weaker offensively.

Now, there is a difference beween supporting your team and carrying them. The only people that get carried on the battlefield are the injured and the fallen, and we have Magis for that. The Knight Bus is a great feature for getting to know the game better and tackling those pesky fragments being acquired nowhere else. Not for serious team play with random people (for now). I’m starting to get the impression Aurors have difficulty soloing dark chambers which is why they believe my strategy only goes so far. Have no fear young wizards! The next batch of skills should fix that. I’ll wager a pouch of Andoran Gold Crowns on it! In the mean time and for the record, I never said NEVER cast protection charm on Aurors, I simply said it shouldn’t be a priority for professors. Professor to Professor.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1220 May, 2020, 05:40 pm.

@ZookiTabooki I think you may have misunderstood@Magpie31's comments. She is a professor, so she is in the same boat as you and I.

All that I can really add to this discussion is that there are many styles of play, and all of them use more of some resources (energy, potions, time) and less of others. It is possible to lead with strength as you suggest, and it is possible (as I did this morning) to play a number of dark chambers with a balanced team using almost no potions (at the expense of time and a little energy).

#1320 May, 2020, 08:03 pm.

I really can’t see merit in the approach proposed here even for solo players

Why would anyone neglect the benefit of team play and adopt a solo strategy reliant upon heavy potion use?

Each to their own

Grinding red books is far quicker, far less costly in both potions and spell energy and IMHO more rewarding playing in a decent team

edited May 20 #1420 May, 2020, 08:53 pm.

@MtPollux Fair enough. Thanks. I may have mixed someone else's response for hers and presumed she was Auror. I do make mistakes, I usually fail my way to success; I know no other way. As a professor, I don't know how she is doing Dark 5 with no potions and being effective for the team. I will ponder this topic some more. Thank you everyone for being so courteous, and accepting the views of others, even if you don't agree. Cheers.

@OriginalCaruso Don't be afraid to challenge yourself. Surely there are many ways to play this game rather than just one specific way.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1520 May, 2020, 09:30 pm.

@ZookiTabooki You probably got @Magpie31 and I mixed up, I'm the Auror and staying out of the professor's discussion! Cheers!

#1620 May, 2020, 09:56 pm.

@ZookiTabooki - I’m not known for avoiding challenges

Simply I have found more optimal ways to gain red books

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1720 May, 2020, 10:44 pm.

@ZookiTabooki As a professor, I've been playing D5 in a group without heavy potion use since mid-November. Well before I could max my profession, but I was finished with my red book lessons. When I say without heavy potion use, I mean I didn't need to use BBE, dawdle, or TTD as enhancements. Occasionally, when I had too many healing potions in my vault (my potions vault was MUCH smaller then!), I'd ask the MZs to not heal me so I could use them up. Occasionally I would use an exst potion if we had a bad mix of foes. Otherwise, it was potion free. That was actually a barometer of how high we were capable of going. If we could comfortably win a chamber without any potion use, we knew we were ready for the next chamber. If potions were used to finish on time, we stayed put or went down a chamber. In the Buffs thread, many of us suggested how it was done, and you rejected the idea. You challenged us to consider your strategy, while not keeping an open mind to the one we suggested, despite all our experience playing potions free. If you want to carry on doing it your way, so be it. But the attitude against aurors really needs to stop. All professions are EQUAL. It's called Wizards UNITE for a reason.

#1821 May, 2020, 12:42 am.

@ZookiTabooki Rude and condescending much?

I will leave it to my teammates, @Bormacska, @Dogoutlaw, @OriginalCaruso and others to decide if I am being effective or being a burden.

As for the auror comment, yes I did say that. I said that because I am a team player and I care about my teammates' experience and not just my own.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1921 May, 2020, 12:51 am.

@Magpie31 you're not a burden! You know I love it when you use your charms on me!

• FlosiruisFlosiruis Posts: 2
    #2121 May, 2020, 08:10 am.

Bonjour merci pour tes conseils je suis prof j ai completé le plan de proffession et atteins le niv 15.j esperais debloquer de nouvelle lecons mais rien n est apparus est ce normale ? Que faire apres? J ai pas envi de changer de proffession et recommencer a zero. Cette situation est elle normal? Merci de votre aide.

edited May 21 #2221 May, 2020, 08:20 am.

@Flosiruis En ce moment, il n'y a rien apres le premier plan. Nous esperons que plusiers plans viendront apres le premier anniversaire du jeu - ca serait juin. Il y a deux groupes en ce moment - ceux qui commencent un deuxieme proffession, et ceux qui conservent leurs livres pour des autres plans. Je suis desolee qu'il n'y a pas une reponse plus positive!

• FlosiruisFlosiruis Posts: 2
    #2321 May, 2020, 09:09 am.

@pie31 un grand merci pour l info. Je reste neanmoins sur ma fin et déçus de ne plus pourvoir évoluer.

#2421 May, 2020, 09:12 am.

@Flosiruis de meme! Je veux bien continuer, mais...! J'ai presque 300 livres rouges et je suis en train de decider si je devrais faire mon plan de magizoologist.

#2521 May, 2020, 11:20 am.

@Magpie31 Maybe you're right, I can get carried away. Forgive my attitude. Peace.

#2621 May, 2020, 11:38 am.

@ZookiTabooki Thank you. And I think there are many different strategies for success, and those that work in different chambers. I stand by what I said - if time zones and opportunities align, I am sure my group would love to show you how we do things. Maybe we will have to settle for screen recording for the moment, though.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    #2704 June, 2020, 04:16 am.

@Magpie31 If you have your strategy/team configuration laid out for a Dark 5, zero potion **** on a different thread, any chance you could link it here? If not, what's your configuration and strategy? I assume it would require Discord, but I believe someday we'll be able to play in person again.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2804 June, 2020, 04:55 am.

@FireWanderer I’m among the teammates who frequently battle with @Magpie31 and I can confirm we constantly finish D5 not only with no potions but also with a couple minutes on the clock.

It all comes down to efficient use of focus and having a balanced team. We try to have at least one or two magizoo, two aurors, and one or two professors.

Immediately upon starting, aurors pass focus to professor(s) to get shields up. Also pass some to magizoo for healing abilities and to work towards bravery. Continue passing focus to professor until shields are up and proficiency goes up. Then hex necessary foes. It should go without saying to only take on foes you are proficient against unless you’re overrun by a certain type. Also, wait to take on elites until magizoo gets bravery up.

As I said, you need a balanced team and one that shares and uses focus effectively.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    #2904 June, 2020, 05:05 am.

@MrSciGuy that's what I figured. Do you assign an Auror to a Professor or is a free for all? The way I have envisioned it my head is where Auror 1 passes 3 focus to Professor A (who throws up a Team Proficiency charm) and Auror 2 passes 3 focus to Professor B (who throws up shields on the Aurors). The Aurors then either pass the remaining focus to the Magizoologist (to give them a bit of a breathing room for Revives or building towards Bravery, should they be necessary). A second round of passing between 1-A and 2-B (so the rest of the team gets shields, with the rest dumping to the Magi) and then the Aurors should be free to hex the jeebus out of everything in sight.

Random question: about how many Elites do you see in a Dark 5 with 5 team do you see? Is it worth it t oth

Unfortunately, excluding Discord for the coordination, getting a solid crew on the same fortress server, or being extremely lucky it doesn't work with the Knight Bus right now. That's not the fault of anyone per se, just kvetching a bit. It requires training ... sort of why I am banging the table for a training room for fortresses.