Buffs

Comments

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6220 May, 2020, 05:21 am.

@Crogabattoir sorry if we missed that question! Yes, the players are typically assigned a color in order they enter the waiting room. Red first, yellow fifth. And they are displayed at top in arena in that order.

• DadDeDavDadDeDav Posts: 46 ✭✭
    #6320 May, 2020, 08:18 am.

@Crogabattoir , @Dogoutlaw Yes, everyone gets a colour depending strictly on the order they joined the lobby (red is first, yellow last). In the lobby, you are always shown at the top, the others are below you in their order but you know your order of arrival from your colour.

Etiquette says you should jump out of a lobby if you are the 3rd of your profession to join in dark (3-1-1 is generally a bad idea as 1 poor player/low level/spectator and it will probably go badly). If you see there are three of your profession, check your colour and leave if you are yellow (or if you are purple [4th to arrive] and yellow is not your profession)

Enjoy !

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6420 May, 2020, 11:38 am.

@DadDeDav - whose etiquette? Yours or generally accepted? And if so, by whom?

Success depends upon the mix of professions and foes encountered where mismatches are more challenging. There is no way of knowing which foes will appear until they manifest

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6520 May, 2020, 01:52 pm.

@DadDeDav I actually don't mind AAAMP. 3 aurors is fine. Lots of hitting power and lots of focus to be passed for charms! But if three of another profession, I would hop out.

• DadDeDavDadDeDav Posts: 46 ✭✭
    #6720 May, 2020, 08:09 pm.

@OriginalCaruso @Caeleon etiquette is generally unwritten - if you look around here and reddit for guides of various sorts, people generally discourage 3-1-1 combinations. Also if you hang in D5 lobby a lots trying to get a team that looks ok, when a 3rd player of one profession joins, I usually see one of the following in the 20-30 secs following :

• the 3rd player drops out (usually rapidly)
    • if they don't drop, after a fair pause, one or more players drop out

My reading of that is many don't like being the 3rd of a profession and many more don't want to be in a team with someone who thinks 3 of one profession is a good ides (and if they arrive and hit "join" quickly, you see others jump much more quickly)

Yes that's not a written etiquette, but a bit like "give-3-focus-to-a-prof-at-start", it seems to be becoming almost standard

@Magpie31 Yes AAAMP works well (better than AMMMP) if the aurors are competent, AMPPP too with good profs. However my experience in that combination is 3-6 focus right away (nice, but I could spend 9 on proficiency and 2 shields if I got it), then no focus at all for +/- next 3-4 mins, then a flood. Yeah the foes are all hexed, but I could do with focus for the other 4 shields !

Again it's pretty subjective, but too many aurors think if just one of them gives 3 to the prof to put up proficiency, then the rest of the focus is their's to hex foes with (helpfully, mind you). Sorry, but that just covers the proficiency, 15 more are needed for shields (if only 1 prof , 11 if 2 profs). The profs need 50% of gained focus too until shields are up (say 8 foes down).

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    #6821 May, 2020, 06:22 am.

@DadDeDav etiquette is very much written down especially if it deviates from how the plebs interacts with each other... with special schools and tutoring on top. There's written sources all through history about etiquette.

I think you're referring to a common courtesy, that you and your friends adhere to.

I've asked around but no-one ever heard about the dropping out if you're number 3 "rule".

I've done some dark room rounds to see if and how they're dropping out. The only constant that I've seen is, no magi, people drop. The rest seems random.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21 #6921 May, 2020, 06:39 am.

Just my curiosity why no magi people would drop? Isnt it no professor everyone would drop?, being prof charms are very invaluable (shield and proficiency).

I thought magi charm are exchangeable with potion, bravery charm only work on elits and prof enhancement can also be tweak tru potion.

But, if its about fight the death which need revive and revive charm only from magi.

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7021 May, 2020, 06:43 am.

Most probably speed of completing a chamber, quicker and less SE used with a balanced team

#7121 May, 2020, 06:56 am.

@Kodokmag Like @OriginalCaruso says, speed and spell energy. Plus a good magi actually saves time with reviving. Every time you consume a potion, it takes a few precious seconds. And with the harder foes, one potion is only going to last one hit anyway. A good magi can fully revive me before I have even been knocked back to the arena - much quicker than a potion and with more stamina restored!

But overall, no way do I want to be taking on elite spiders in D5.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    #7221 May, 2020, 07:14 am.

@Kodokmag I assume it's because quite a few people are stuck on the generic rpg roles and don't want to play without a "healer" or nobody wants to face the spiders 😁

Though a magi in your team saves you potions and can get rid of that pesky knockout timer.

#7421 May, 2020, 07:34 am.

@Milliebob13 Magis are the only ones who do love the little freaks!

• Milliebob13Milliebob13 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    #7521 May, 2020, 07:38 am.

We all have out favourites 😊

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #7622 May, 2020, 04:01 am.

I take the spiders as part of my lot. But I do love the erklings.

View from a Magizoo (who has played solo a lot and has learned a lot about team play the last two weeks):

I'm good with MPAAA, or MPPPA, even in dark chambers, but not four of one and one of me. I will jump out if that is the configuration. Same if there are three or more Magizoo.

My strategy if there's only me as Magizoo is to bounce in and out of battles, to make sure my teammates are not knocked out and revive them if they are. More so if I have three Aurors, who get knocked out a lot. If there are two Magizoo's, I can relax a little and defeat my foe without having to jump in and out. And profs just make me breathe a sigh of relief. I really do think they're the lynchpin (I am almost done with Mag and halfway done with Prof, so I'm eager to learn how to play via that profession).

That said, a funny thing happened to me today. I entered a Dark 1 chamber that had one player in it. I saw it was a Magizoo, there was more than a minute on the clock, and was going to leave when the original player took us to the battle! We came within seconds of winning, but I used up a lot of potions and spell energy. Kinda pissed me off. (But I keep telling myself, it was probably a 12-year-old kid, so...)

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22 #7722 May, 2020, 04:50 am.

my 2 cents as a maxed professor ... (and this is geared toward balanced teams battling in dark5)

my initial focus amount is 4, so i need 3 more to get to 7 and cast team proficiency (best bang for the buck). if i do not get those 3 from an auror straight away, i will either pop my own strong invig potion (if i have enough ) or wait for first 3 focus to come from defeated foes, and then cast the team proficiency

why? because unless the foes are wildly imbalanced, there will be enough different foes for every team member to pick ones against which they are proficient.

in the high dark chambers, offense is better than defense because speed counts - **** the foe fast as possible or bail out and let teammate take over, before you get knocked out). that means doing one’s best to dispatch the foes quickly and moving on to the next one

shielding aurors is important but only as a professor’s second (not first) priority. at the start, the auror worth its salt should be able to hold his own (especially if buffed by proficiency) against the initial dark wiz or death eater foe, and can bail out as a last resort and wait until shield comes. moreover, the magizoo can heal or revive the auror if needed.

my suggestions, as a prof, are:

1. to aurors: (a) pass 3 focus to the professor (and if more than one prof on the team, then pick the one on the right (no reason other than this is what i would do if i were playing as an auror)); (b) use remaining focus to cast hex(es) on your own first foe to help you stay alive until the shield can be put on you, or do first strike on elite foes (even if not your proficiency) and then get out after first hit
    2. to magizoologists: do take time in between foe engagements to check on your auror and professor teammates and see if any need reviving or healing (don’t know enough about magizoos to offer any other meaningful suggestion)

thanks

Post edited by kiheikid on
  • Not4u13Not4u13 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    #7822 May, 2020, 05:26 am.

@kiheikid

Good advice. Also a maxed prof and since my earlier post, I've experimented with a few of the suggested strategies. I'm mostly in agreement.

Speed is key in Dark.

If I don't get additional focus right off, I try to get a Pixie and dispatch quickly then apply Proficiency charm. If I still can't, because I'm often the first one to dispatch an opponent, I'll shield an Auror and find another foe (Pixie or Werewolf).

That seems to work well, leaving plenty of time on the clock when we are done.

As was stated earlier. A lot depends on the foes. A balanced team 2/2/1 seems to clear them out quicker in general. The one can be any profession really, but I prefer to be the only professor. I have fun gobbling up the Pixies.

I will add, I try to avoid using any focus on myself until all teammates are shielded and Proficiency charm cast. Then I will shield myself. By then I'm almost out of stamina, but by then the Magi is usually at the ready.

I'm now considering a potions strategy. I typically use zero potions on KB, unless in 3 or higher dark. Not sure that is best approach. I don't need it for Pixies really, but Dangerous Pixie still creates a lot of damage. A Strong Ex allows me to take it out in just 3 (assuming one is a critical hit). Otherwise its 6 or 7. Werewolf is tougher and I take a lot of damage from Fierce, so like to use a potion there.

Otherwise, I reserve potion use for when I feel taking on a spider or Erkling is neccessary. I don't like to take them from the Magi, but it's hard to sit back and do nothing waiting for Pixie or Werewolf. When I am out of focus and everyone else is in battle, I check the foe counter and timer, then act accordingly.

We've all experienced difficult players, such as today when there was 2/2/1 and it seemed like there was everyone for themselves. Two knocked out and nothing from MZ. Oh well.

edited May 22 #7922 May, 2020, 06:16 am.

question from a prof to magizoologists (since, like john snow, i know nothing ... at least about magizoologists): do you magizoologists have an urgent need to be protected by a prof’s protection (shield) charm sooner rather than later ?

i ask, because i have heard various talking heads on youtube refer to magizoologists as “tanks” (implying your ability to withstand lots of damage), contrary to aurors who are referred to as “ glass cannons” (inflict lots of damage but cannot withstand as much)

#8022 May, 2020, 07:35 am.

@kiheikid I was experimenting with proficiency first the other day and it was very odd for me! I prefer auror shields, proficiency, then my shield (where foes allow).

But... I am curious... How quickly do you find your magi can get bravery up? In the proficiency first battles I have played, it has taken longer to get bravery, as the magi is spending more focus on reviving. Also, the time from start to all charms (shield, bravery, proficiency) is consistently quicker for me when doing shields first.

Our group has a bit of a "potions for emergencies only" outlook (today, our magi needed an invig and I took a potent, and I think that is the first time we have ever taken potions together).

I am genuinely interested to hear about your experiences, especially if you have tried both approaches.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22 #8122 May, 2020, 08:19 am.

🙋 I want ask about auror too.

About dark chambers context

How much damage could they withstand from their foe (dark wizard and death eaters) dangerous? Fierce?

Surely they not dead from 1 foe right (first round battle)?

For me as magiz if it is emergency i could sacrifice the 5 focus with 2 focus from first dead foes to cast bravery.

Anyway on elit foe (erk/spider) magiz damage its better with bravery ON while focus below 5, than focus>5 without bravery. Its my experience in forest chambers thou.

But it is best if everything is ON. LoL

#8222 May, 2020, 11:16 am.

@Magpie31 , honestly in the throes of battle in dark5 it is tough to notice subtleties in any one fortress session, such as at what point the mz’s bravery charm lights up, much less notice patterns across multiple fortress sessions, each with different mz’s and aurors and profs ... so i don’t have an answer for you. all i can say is that my teams (differing as they are across fortress sessions) generally seem to have an easier, er less difficult, time in dark5 battles when proficiency goes up first and protection goes up next one at a time AND each member of the well-balanced team knows how to play well (or how NOT to play poorly).

#8322 May, 2020, 11:41 am.

@kiheikid You make a good point. My proficiency first experiments have all been with strangers, whereas my group prefers shield first, so that really skews the results. I think most battles with strangers will be less effective due to lack of communication. Plus, you just don't kniw how competent your players are and it is never a fair test, with boards varying so much.

Thanks for responding, though.

#8422 May, 2020, 11:58 am.

by the way, a sample strategy guide for AAMMP configured teams can be found at

https://wizardsunitehub.info/guide/1-professor-2-aurors-2-magizoologists/

it was prepared early on before Knight Bus and aimed at Forest (not Dark) chamber expeditions AND pre-supposed communication among teammates, which of course is not possible among random teammates thrown together via Knight Bus

so how do the teammates know which A is A#1 and which A is A#2, and which M is M#1 and which M is M#2 ?

if and only if all team members see the exact same order from left to right at top of their respective screens, then A#1 can be the A to the left and A#2 can be the A to the right, and same for the two M’s

this is all for nought if less than all 5 team members know this strategy by heart.

#8622 May, 2020, 08:55 pm.

@Imaginatio - thank you for some magizoologist perspective, which i will keep in mind and can apply going forward in higher level fortress campaigns. i know what you mean about becoming invulnerable ... i always smile when my maxed prof stops taking damage mid-battle, and say a quick mahalo to my teammates who cast the extra enhancements to get me there.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #8722 May, 2020, 10:19 pm.

@kiheikid No problem.

Also, it’s wonderful when you get in a battle with teammates that are casting charms and hexes appropriately and doing their part with the foes in the battle! 😃 I’m quite sure it’s smiles all around at that point.😊

• Not4u13Not4u13 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    #8824 May, 2020, 05:09 pm.

Just had a fun battle in Dark 5. MMMAP.

I tried the weaken for strategy and I like it. If I'm using Potent Ex and my foe is low, drop out and pick up a new foe to get the most out of the rest of the potion. Then, if someone else didn't already finish them off, go back and clean up.

Game started with Auror passing me focus as the P. Charm first to enhance all then battled two Pixies before I had enough to shield Auror. M restored me quickly which was cool! Got shields deployed everywhere before shielding me and then used DHex on Elite Death Eater being battled by an M.

We finished Dark 5 with almost 3 min left. There were quite a few Pixies and Werewolves so weakening them worked really well. It's easy for any profession to clean up less than 200. It also makes more efficient use of Ex potions.

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #8924 May, 2020, 08:17 pm.

@kiheikid , the how long does it take before we put up bravery question depends on the configuration. I usually try to start with the foe I can vanquish the quickest, allowing the profs to cast proficiency. Then I come out after that first battle and cast bravery. If there's another magizoo in there, I might take a tougher foe first, depending on what they've taken. But I will always cast bravery after the first foe is vanquished.

As to the question about when we need shield, I agree not until we're two or three foes in. All three - proficiency, shield and bravery - should be working by foe 3, if not sooner.

I'm 7 books till maxed out magizoo, so there's not a lot I can't do. But if I'm fighting a beast, I will usually get out when I sustain too much damage, and let an auror finish it off.

#9024 May, 2020, 11:59 pm.

@VoiceMaster That is an interesting perspective. I have just started playing magi as a second profession and have been told not to cast bravery until I am at 12 so I don't lose beast.

• SparkingPacesSparkingPaces Posts: 18 ✭✭
    #9125 May, 2020, 02:35 am.

This is a great thread, and I would be happy to battle with any of you.

I would just like to reiterate: Aurors - pass your focus early and then save it for yourself later!

I was just in a Dark V with MPAAA and I was the professor. I got enough forcus early on to cast Defence on the 3 Aurors but then I had to wait what seemed like an eternity to cast Defence on myself and the Mag and then Proficiency.

By the end I had 10 focus that I didn't know what to do with. We all could have had an easier time of it if I had enough focus to work with early on.