Improvement Suggestion: build the Room of Requirement to teach how to play fortresses as a team

FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
in Community Day #1 latest comment 04 June, 2020, 01:39 am.

The May Community Day, on the face of it, was a good idea. I have mentioned in the past the Fortresses were the one rallying point for the community. Having a Community Day that took advantage of the Knight Bus was a double bonus (to demonstrate the new feature while using the Fortress as a rallying point). This should have been a brilliant success.

Except ... it wasn't.

In my opinion, there were two main problems:

1. The challenges didn't correctly scale for a user's strength. I'm a level 43 maxed professor. Having me take on anything in the Ruins is a joke. At the same time, level 22 / level 7 professors trying to get the red books in the Dark levels is just cruel.
  2. There is little to nothing inside of the game that teaches people how to correctly play as a team.

I'll leave the scaling issue aside (this should still be considered!) because I want to talk about the second problem and my suggested solution.

What the game needs is a place where someone new to a profession can learn what their abilities can be, how the strategic spells help both the player and teammates, what to target, etc.

Doesn't this sound like the dueling training for Dumbledore's Army in the Room of Requirement?

What the Room would entail is a series of tasks per profession. Some examples could include:

• Who should I primarily target? Who should would be my secondary targets? Who should I leave off (if at all possible)? [yes, this is sort of pointed to by the green/red arrows and the little chart on the profession page, but the number of players I had to explain this to when meeting people tells me that it isn't being clearly identified]
  • What are some of my class abilities that I can purchase so I can plan for the future? [this one might be mainly professor specific, but I could see the other classes benefiting as well]
  • What does [strategic spell X] do? How does it help me? How can it help teammates?
  • What might I expect a [other profession] to do with their strategic spells?
  • What might [other profession] expect me to do with my strategic spells?
  • What would be considered fortress etiquette (not loafing around; not just sitting in a lobby when everyone has joined up; if an Auror feeds you (the professor) focus, use it for the team instead of deterioration hexes)?

Eight to ten tasks, with intermediate rewards, and completion gives you a couple of red books?

For experienced players, it's a quick win and advancement. For less experienced players or for those who are working on a new second class, having this sort of mechanism in game would be invaluable.

Yes, I realize that there are plenty of YouTube videos, discussion forums (here and elsewhere), websites, etc. that help explain most of this. None of those are in-game. Most people don't go trolling for information like those of us who are more hard-core.

Also, if/when they offer a second lesson plan for professions, wouldn't it be nice to know what it contains or what you might want to strive for before you commit your resources?

Comments

• GrumkinGrumkin Posts: 30 ✭✭
    #217 May, 2020, 12:34 am.

@FireWanderer In any game there are serious players and duffers. You’re of the former. You didn’t need a ROR to get where you are. You either trial & error’d it, were taught by another, or sought out the knowledge yourself.

Newbies can do the same if they plan to be serious. Duffers are gonna be duffers though, and a ROR is hardly going to help.

If a reward is cake, it’s cake. If it’s too hard, well, it’s not for newer players yet.

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    #317 May, 2020, 12:39 am.

@Grumkin that is a totally valid point. However, I would say if you gave the duffers an option to become more serious (or at least less "dufferish") that would be to the good, right? Giving people a way to improve helps not only them, but also us serious players ("really, magi?? you're not going to revive me??" / "Auror ISO shield charm" ).

Also, as I said, it could be useful if/when they offer a second lesson plan for the professions (please?? pretty pretty please??). A way to preview the new builds would be nice.

• CurioustiffCurioustiff Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #430 May, 2020, 01:25 am.

Yes! Great comment, great idea, this gameplay experience is what this game is missing!

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    #504 June, 2020, 01:39 am.

I'm going to bump this back up again.

Wizards who do not know what to target (no, the little green and red arrows don't help, Niantic), or how to interact with other classes (watching Aurors burn all of their focus early on with Confusion hexes against Death Eaters and Accromantulas) ... it's disheartening.

Especially with the coronavirus, where they are unable to learn from other veteran hands at how to fight in a fortress with others, there needs to be a series of training rooms for the professions.