We’re currently investigating issues with the SOS Report appearing blank, Adventure Sync not working (Android), and in-app purchasing (iOS.) Visit this post for more details
Wit Sharpening & Invigorating Draught — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Wit Sharpening & Invigorating Draught

PinkRosesPinkRoses Posts: 33 ✭✭
in Potions #1 latest comment 05 June, 2020, 06:14 am.

Both of these seem utterly useless. I haven’t noticed a blessed difference when I use them in challenges. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    #216 May, 2020, 06:59 pm.

IIRC:

Wit = only works for elit foes

Invigurating = refill focus (critical potion for mid-high level chambers)

• FireWandererFireWanderer Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    #317 May, 2020, 02:54 am.

At the same time, @PinkRoses is inadvertently correct: the basic invigorating draught is a waste.

Strong Invigoration Draught (grants user 3 focus)

• 1 Honeywater
    • 1 Vervain Infusion
    • 1 Scurvygrass
    • 2 Sneezewort
    • 6 hours of brewing time

Invigoration Draught (grants user 1 focus)

• 1 Honeywater
    • 1 Vervain Infusion
    • 1 Scurvygrass
    • 2 Lovage
    • 3 hours of brewing time

So, the Strong Invigoration Draught takes less ingredient space (5 versus 15 for the equivalent result in basic), less potion space (1 potion versus 3), and less brew time (6 hours versus 9) for the exact same result (3 focus). There's zero reason to carry any basic Invigoration Draughts and, consequently, zero reason to ever keep Lovage.

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #417 May, 2020, 04:28 am.

I stopped making both the wit sharpening and regular invigorating potions awhile back, so I guess I have to agree somewhat on their lack of usefulness. Potent Invigorating is the exception, especially for us professors and I rarely use them outside of dark chambers; casting proficiency charm asap in a dark chamber is crucial for professors. Anywhere else, I will wait until the first round of foes is defeated, and collect the accumulated focus before casting the focus-heavy proficiency charm, saving me the potion. When joining a team in a dark chamber, I will gulp down a Potent Invigorating right away and cast the pro. charm so the team gets the bonus right from the get go. Every second counts, especially if you solo the dark side. (pun intended) 😁

edited May 2020 #517 May, 2020, 05:32 am.

@ZookiTabooki

Yeah, i'm only brew the strong invigor. Cant always depend on auror for focus.

The thing is for magizoo we need to gulp down 3 strong invigor potion right away to keep the minimum 5 focus (7 focus for the bravery charm with left us 7 focus). There goes 18 hours of brewing for one battle/challenge.

For mid chambers, i could only used 1 strong invigor and fight a foe hoping the other team **** their foe fast enough to give focus back to min 5 focus in mid fight.

#604 June, 2020, 01:49 am.

@Kodokmag - I'm a Prof, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would only fire the bravery charm if there were enough Elite foes to make it worthwhile. If you're in one of the Dark chambers and there are two or three Elites up front, then sure burning multiple Strong Invigorations might make sense. At the same time, if there are other targets, it might make more sense to wait for a bit and then hit the Bravery charm to finish them off.

While I agree that Aurors need to first and foremost pass their to their non-Auror teammates, my completely unbiased ( :D ) opinion is that they should pass to the Profs first, so we can hit the Team Proficiency Charm (helping everyone against all their proficient foes) as well as passing the Shield Charm around like it's candy. I mean, you like invincibility right? Now, if we were in person and we had multiple Aurors working alongside you and I, I would ask one of the Aurors to feed me and one to feed you. Then we'd hit the team charms together (or you could hold yours for Revives if you felt there weren't enough Elites to justify it).

#704 June, 2020, 02:24 am.

@FireWanderer yeah i agree too about focus it best to professor first and foremost, because they have the pillar charm for the battle.

while magiz charm are secondary, i thought its important too for prof passive?

if there is/are elit at first round foes my "eco" move is burnt 1 strong invigor potion to cast bravery charm and fight the lowest magiz foe available. while take a bit more damage (defend down) its still manageable until bare minimum 5 focus is achieved.

this action sometimes become "a must" (well, to me) because some players are very eager to fight elit foe at their first spawn.

#804 June, 2020, 03:38 am.

@Kodokmag Professors need three "impairments" (read: hexes) on their enemies and two "enhancements" on themselves to fully activate their passives. What took me a long time to learn was what counted as an enhancement:

• A charm - so a professor's Shield and Team Proficiency charm or a Magizoologist's Bravery charm
    • An "active" potion - so, any Exstimulo Potion as long as you have casts left OR a timed potion (Tonic for Trace Detection or Baruffio's Brain Elixir). It's that latter one that profs aren't always aware of.
    • Side note: I'm not exactly sure if a Wit-Sharpening Charm outside of an Elite encounter counts or not for Profs (I rarely keep a lot of these on hand because of ... well, the above conversation 😂🤣 )

So, yes, a Magi's Bravery charm helps me, but that seems like an awful lot of wasted Focus if there aren't Elite foes in place. Makes more sense to me at least to invest in my Team Proficiency and Shield charms instead and leave you the focus for Become the Beast and Reviving those glass Aurors. 😁 (hey Aurors, if send me focus, I'll shield you (after I fire off the Team Proficiency charm) so you don't get knocked down as often ... just sayin')

#904 June, 2020, 03:49 am.

so, professor only need 2 enhancements?

i had impression prof need until 3 enhancements just like the impairments (hexes).

thanks for the insight, thats make me rethinking again to cast the bravery. 👍️

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1004 June, 2020, 04:30 am.

@FireWanderer one more enhancement to add to your list: if you start (but don't finish) a dawdle draught in an encounter before entering the fortress then it will count as an enhancement indefinitely until you use the remaining casts in another trace encounter.

#1104 June, 2020, 04:56 am.

@Kodokmag yeah, I went and double checked. Here are the Professor conditionals (all but Ideal Exchange (root node of the tree) require 15 green books)

• Conditionals based on Impaired Foes (minimum number of impairments in parentheses)
      • Ideal Exchange (1): +5 power
      • Restricted Section (1): +6% defense
      • Sparring Specifics (2): +9% defense [*]
      • On Sabbatical (3): +12 power [*]
    • Conditionals based on Enhancements to self (again, minimum number of enhancements in parentheses)
      • Strength in Numbers (1): +5 power
      • Teamwork Makes the Dream Work (2): +12 power
      • Confidence (1): +6% defense [**]
      • Team Teaching (2): +9% defense
    • Conditionals based on foe type (i.e. specializations)
      • Pesky Pixies: +30% accuracy versus Pixies [***]
      • Full Moon Hunter: +30% defense breach versus Werewolves [****]

[*] Cannot be activated without an Auror as of this writing.

[**] Confidence tends to be the first of the conditionals most Professors buy as it is a gate for +2 Initial Focus, even though it is further down the tree than half of the conditionals.

[***] Seriously, people, let your local Prof handle the overgrown flies. Don't worry about wasting energy on dodges. We got this.

[****] Aurors, while it is preferred you feed us Professors (and the Magis too ... you like that Revive, yes?) your focus early, using your Confusion Hex on a Dangerous Werewolf we're engaged later on with is much appreciated. Yes, we have more DB against them, but breaking their defense and DB makes them the butter to our hot knife.

Effectively, if a Professor has two enhancements and two impairments, they're invincible to damage. The third impairment is just gravy.

@MtPollux I tried a Dawdle Draught out a bit ago (beginning of May, maybe? time has lost its meaning ...), and it didn't seem to take. Maybe it was just me and my lying eyes, but I wonder if the devs fixed that unintended feature.

Apropos of nothing: TFW you forgot you had one charge left on a Potent and you blindly cast against Flamy McFartyButt (aka Blast Ended Skrewt): 😫😫😫

#1204 June, 2020, 05:06 am.

@hpwulola I think my last comment got thrown into moderation (not exactly what for, but my apologies if I said something bad). If you get a chance? Thank you.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1304 June, 2020, 05:49 am.

@Kodokmag If someone takes on an elite without bravery in the first few rounds when there are other foes on the board, it is their own dumb fault, in my opinion. Bravery charm is a a charm that can wait until mid game, unless you have a board full of elites. I love healing and supporting my team mates, but if someone makes stupid decisions like taking on an elite with no charms or hexes at all, and then gets knocked out (and quite often with an off foe), then they drop to the bottom of my priority list.

You have to contribute to the team in order to reap the rewards ;)

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1404 June, 2020, 05:50 am.

Wit is pretty useless, but as a team player, I WISH I could make more invigorations.

I like being able to toss a buff right off the bat (magi with +to elites) and wish others would too (especially defense).

Sadly, I'm out of invig so I have to fight first to get some focus. And then when I get out, I usually have to toss 2 focus on a heal.

I would like to build up my invig inventory. I've found it very useful doing a lot more team play with the knight bus.

edited June 2020 #1504 June, 2020, 06:19 am.

@Magpie31 , i get that too. Just maybe they after "the k i l l elit foe" achievement.

Anyway i prefer to cast bravery charm early on considering random mix player, then after that just taking a look for others stamina.

Also i'd like to know if focus tank are full, are we still receiving focus from killed foe (or from auror)? Or is it just waste away?

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1604 June, 2020, 04:13 pm.

@Kodokmag the elite foe achievement is a marathon, not a sprint. I’m with Magpie on that one - if someone immediately jumps into an elite foe, as a professor I’m going to shield them last. You need to be smart in order to play as a team.

If your focus is full (say 15/15), you will not receive any more focus from defeating foes or from aurors passing it to you. But you shouldn’t ever really let it get to max focus, because then you are wasting it. Use it up, based on whatever your profession is, what your teammates need, and which foes need to be targeted.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1704 June, 2020, 11:34 pm.

@Kodokmag I’m a Magizoologist and I’ve found that most players know to wait a bit before the bravery charm is up, even in Knight Bus fortress sessions with random players. I’ve occasionally come across players fighting elites without the bravery charm up, but not that often, and even then I wait until my focus is full or nearly full (so 10/11) before casting the elite charm. If bravery isn’t up and a player fighting an elite gets knocked out, there’s always revive if you choose to use it.

I generally avoid using invigoration, unless it’s really needed. Elite heavy chambers happen but not that often to warrant the use of an invigoration draught early on.

#1804 June, 2020, 11:44 pm.

@MrSciGuy @Imaginatio good advice, i tried that this morning at Dark I. Still not prefected but okay i guess. Just rather difficult to keep close to max focus without wasting focus (if focus-es acquired while in the middle of fighting).

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1904 June, 2020, 11:59 pm.

@Kodokmag if I see a player or two are nearly finished with a foe and I’m nearing max focus, that’s when I’ll probably cast bravery rather than waiting for it to get to 12, because if it gets below five after bravery then it should only take a few seconds for it to get back to five focus. Also, if I find that bravery is cast, I’m nearing max focus and no one is about to get knocked out but is kinda low on stamina, that’s when I usually opt for using the stamina charm instead of revive - it means that the focus isn’t wasted and that I won’t have to come out mid battle as much to check on that teammate to see if they’ve been knocked out; otherwise I prefer revive only. The other time I may opt for the stamina charm is near the end of a battle. That’s all personal choice though, as others may choose to play differently.

#2005 June, 2020, 03:56 am.

@Imaginatio yeah thanks 👍will try that.

anyway there are player that more into star the foe has than what kind foe it does (dont know if they new or familiar with wu).

Got a team with more than one magiz, and at first round battle the other magiz jump in to imposing dark wizard although there are dangerous spider and erkling also pop up.

• CraeftCraeft Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2105 June, 2020, 06:14 am.

Maybe I'm misplaying but I look at it from a different approach. I like to toss the buff out as soon as I can (since it doesn't expire) then build up focus thereafter (which is why invig is useful to me). That way, I don't have to worry about buffing later; I can focus (npi) on healing when needed. But as I said previously, I am an old-school healer in games so I might look at it differently.