HOW TO STOP Players who don't contribute in chambers.

BuutterfaceBuutterface Posts: 4 ✭✭
in The Knight Bus #1 latest comment 28 May, 2020, 05:27 am.

Quite possibly the most irritating part of the game is other players using the knight bus along for the ride contributing little to nothing in game. The worst part is this often leads to a round lost for the players who are in it together and they may not even notice the leaches among us.

How to stop this:

1. A foe **** count added on each player to help identify those not contributing early enough as not to waste more resources than needed.

2. A player kick voting system. Allow others a chance to kick inactive players when they are identified as leaches. A majority rules would be ideal. Or at the very least rewards proportionate to the foes killed are damage done.

Comments

• OmaLaurieOmaLaurie Posts: 41 ✭✭
    #414 May, 2020, 03:45 pm.

I was frustrated too at often facing more than my fair share of foes until one game I went against a foe with over 3,000 energy - whatever that number represents. Then it made sense that sometimes a player may not strike as many foes because they are up against a much more powerful one. I am sure there are also players competing well above their skill, at some point it will work out. Disappointing to lose a battle though.

• DaybatDaybat Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #515 May, 2020, 01:52 pm.

Love working through a chamber with a full group! My friend and I have been limited to only fighting alongside each other as we are in a low participation area. I have only had the misfortune to play with one free loader on the Knight Bus. I somewhat regret losing that battle because I was down to last foe and just let the clock run out waiting on the other person to do SOMETHING. Later I realized he may have lost connection or had some other glitch so I felt like a ****. I have had a few brain cramps too. I have been a professor since beginning, just getting my feet wet playing a Magi. , Out of habit, kept choosing wrong foes at start of play...oof. Let me apologize now if you were in there! 🤪

• MadamRowenaMadamRowena Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #716 May, 2020, 03:43 pm.

The foe count should go down if other people leave a wizarding challenge once it begins. I shouldn't have to **** a higher number of items than I would have if I entered the tower alone. Killing 11 items alone is not possible in the time frame. Example, Dark tower I entered with 3 other players so needed to defeat 11. Other players left early and I was left to defeat them all. Didn't happen.

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 30 ✭✭
    #816 May, 2020, 08:30 pm.

I agree with @Reader1946 and @Daybat that there are other reasons besides being a deadbeat. And @Spondee you're right on in terms of dealing with glitches. Today, just after I clicked an opponent, my game lost connection. I had to restart the game. And oddly - and happily - it put me right back in the chamber. But I had lost almost a minute waiting and then deciding to restart. I was able to get a couple of foes down, and revived someone I saw when I first got back in, but I didn't haul my usual weight.

Also, yeah, a high five button would be really great after a smooth challenge. But like in life, building good teams is hard.

• NotWolfenNotWolfen Posts: 1
    #917 May, 2020, 10:22 pm.

I agree with everyone who's mentions glitches, errors, and server crashes, as well as the fact that some foes take longer than others to defeat.

I also noticed yesterday, the issue of playing with people who hadn't been able to research how to play a challenge. That probably was dine for lower level chambers, but once a person gets to the higher level chambers, if you're playing with a full group that has at least 1 of each profession, but everyone takes all the auror foes, but leaves their own profession's foes, then it can be near impossible to beat the challenge. I found myself the only one taking on red arrow foes and getting no help as far as spells from other players in the same chamber. Plus, people kept dropping out when they were knocked or about to be knocked out leaving just 2 of us to defeat 25 foes. That's not doable.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1017 May, 2020, 11:35 pm.

@NotWolfen yesterday was a bit of a 🥜show! 🍿 But since it was the CD, that was kind of to be expected. I also noticed that the foes were a little easier per level than usual. Playing today was much quieter and mostly people who seemed to have a good grasp on the mechanics... I can hope cd's like yesterday inspire more people to look for help with their strategy. 🤞

• NeighborlyNeighborly Posts: 29 ✭✭
    #1118 May, 2020, 09:18 pm.

I'm learning a lot about combat since the Knight bus started up. Before that I was a completely solo player.

Trying to dive in and battle away, but it IS a learning curve.

I never ever leave a battle though and once I tackle a foe, I try to finish it, no matter the fit.

Highest combat level is in Professor, but I am working on the other two. Thanks for being patient with new folks.

I wish there was a way to replay and discuss a battle ---- chatter during would just slow things down, but a recap would be a great way to get feedback, suggestions, props when deserved, etc.

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1218 May, 2020, 09:26 pm.

@Neighborly - It’s not always wise to stay fighting a mis-matched foe, for sure it’s worth weakening one, but better to jump out and let the matched profession finish it off

#1319 May, 2020, 05:03 am.

Like, @Neighborly I am an accomplished player who always did solo challenges. I've learned a lot in the last couple of weeks since I joined this forum. One of the things I've learned is what @OriginalCaruso said above: it's sometimes appropriate to NOT finish off a foe if that foe is not your strength. I've been in a couple of situations where time is running out and I see no one is available to take on the curiousity (I'm a Magizoo) and so I jump in, aware that an Auror or a Professor is probably going to be done with their foe soon. I do what I can to weaken the foe and jump out, and sure enough someone who is stronger against that foe jumps in and beats the clock. That strategy has been eye opening.

I've actually found something really poetic about the fact that each profession has a weakness. And in order to win as a team, we have to admit our weaknesses and play to our strengths. Business schools have been trying for years to teach this kind of selfless regard for team.

As to jumping out of lobbies at the last minute, the more I have learned about team strategy, the more I'm apt to jump out of a lobby. Some levels just aren't winnable with three players - especially when it's two players from one profession and one from another. If I'm sitting there and an Auror comes on, and we're waiting to see if the lobby fills up and at 15 seconds another Mag comes on, if I'm in a Dark chamber, I'm likely to get out at that point. 'Cause it's just not winnable. Or I know I don't have the amount of potion needed to win it. I'm not hanging anybody out to dry. If there were a "too much risk" button, to let my would-be teammates know, that would be helpful.

• CaeleonCaeleon Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    #1419 May, 2020, 06:18 am.

Do not forget that Aurors have a passive that gives them +50% crit power against foes with 100% stamina.

Being "nice" and weaken their foes, kinda makes their passive useless.

Though as an auror, going in and tap foes to proc said passive... That makes sense.

• FireNightingaleFireNightingale Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    #1525 May, 2020, 09:02 pm.

Had a demoralising experience today. Went into a fortress with another professor. It was a level I can easily solo without potions but they seemed to be struggling to take on foes so I popped several potions to help us keep up with the ever growing number of foes in the lobby.

Then I realised that the number was ever growing because they just weren't bothering to fight them. They were on low health but instead of using a healing potion they just sat back and let me fight everything, even though I shielded them. Their most noticeable contribution was to det-hex a two star pixie... In a chamber with two professors and a ton of non-professor mobs.

I fought to the last mob, a two star erkling, with a minute on the clock and then, I know it's pretty but I just sat there and let the clock tick down. As they didn't engage it we lost the chamber. I just wasn't willing to let them sit there and coast to victory on my efforts and potion expenditure. I had a full potion vault and was using a brilliant runestone. The loss was worth not being taken advantage of further in my opinion.

Thankfully, despite the bug that makes it take forever before you can choose a runestone, I managed to get into my next couple of battles solo. Might have been someone inexperienced and over their level, but with the pixie det-hex it felt like a troll, and added to my current disenchantment with the game (I'm one of those hit by the lost fragments bug).

I don't know what the answer is, but it does feel like, eventually, we could do with something to prevent deliberate abuse of the game mechanics at the expense of other players

#1627 May, 2020, 03:58 am.

I just had a similar experience @FireNightingale . But this was with a full team, MMPAA, and at the end there were two dark wizards, and the two aurors were just sitting there. I gave one of them extra focus, and nothing. So I took one on, defeated what was left of him, and got back to the lobby to find the other one still unengaged - with 2 seconds left. ****?

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1727 May, 2020, 04:27 am.

@VoiceMaster - re your post #13 above, jumping out of the lobby with only 15 seconds left on the counter is not enough time for everyone else in the lobby to react to your late departure, since they might be caught by surprise and be slow in then deciding whether themselves to stay or jump ... in my opinion and experience. may i suggest you set your personal deadline (to stay or leave the lobby) at minimum 30 seconds or even better at 45 seconds ? i try to decide by 45 sec. left and have a hard deadline of 30 sec. left.

if there is at least one other player of the same profession as you, the consequences of your late departure are lessened somewhat ... but i would still hope everyone decide by no later than 30 secs left

#1828 May, 2020, 05:27 am.

@kiheikid Most people don't come into the lobby till after the 45 seconds left mark. If you leave then, then you're most likely killing the chance of getting a good game. Or one at all. It's baffled me when we're sitting there with two magizoos and an auror, waiting for a prof, and the auror leaves too early and a prof jumps in a few seconds later - leaving everybody essentially in the same position.

And 15 seconds is plenty of time, and is pretty close to when I start to see people bail if the hand doesn't look good. The strategizing should be taking place well before that. If you're not strategizing before that, then you shouldn't be in the dark chambers.