Everything you wanted to know about Wizards Challenges (But were afraid to ask!)

HPWUmacHPWUmac Posts: 7 admin
in The Knight Bus #1 latest comment 14 July, 2020, 11:16 am.

You selected your wizarding Profession, read over your spell books and rolled up your sleeves to vanquish Foes in Wizarding Challenges. Now, with the Knight Bus making rounds to help players participate remotely, jumping into Wizarding Challenges with others is easier than ever. Whether you’re a veteran spellcaster or just getting your feet wet, this is the perfect time to brush up on some team-based strategies for making the most of your Wizarding Challenges.

Getting Back to Basics

Wizarding Challenges are a unique type of gameplay where you can team up with wizards from around the world to engage in combat with a variety of Foes. To enter a Wizarding Challenge, tap on a Fortress and use a Runestone to join. If you find yourself without any Fortresses nearby, the Knight Bus is always available for players level 7 and above to instantly whisk you away to a Fortress at Hogwarts Castle, allowing you to play from the comfort of home.

For those victorious in combat, you’ll be rewarded with a variety of items depending on the difficulty of the challenge. Rewards can include unique Foundables only found in Wizarding Challenges, Scrolls, Spell Books, Wizard XP and Challenge XP, which helps you get stronger in Wizarding Challenges.

The Pros of Professionalism

Before jumping into the fray, you’ll want to make sure you choose a wizarding Profession—Auror, Magizoologist or Professor. Each Profession specializes in different areas: Aurors are adept at dishing out serious damage with powerful offensive spells, Magizoologists are masters of defense and supporting their allies and Professors are experts in balance and versatility, with spells for any situation.

Each Profession has its own specific skills that you can learn over time by using the Scrolls, Spell Books and Restricted Section Books that you’ve been collecting. Spend some time learning some of your Profession’s skills before entering into combat and you’ll be well on your way to toppling even the most formidable Foes!

Stronger United, Weaker Divided

Now that you’re feeling proficient in your Profession, it’s time to get strategic! While it’s possible to participate in Wizarding Challenges individually, teaming up with others, either with wizards nearby or remotely using the Knight Bus, earns you even more Challenge XP and opens up additional strategies. Taking on Wizarding Challenges with a variety of wizards from different Professions is especially important if you’re looking to take on higher-level Foes.

Once you’re in a Fortress chamber, consider your own Profession, the Profession of your teammates and the types of Foes you’re facing before engaging in combat. Each Profession is strong against some types of Foes and weak against others:

• Aurors deal bonus damage against Dark Forces (e.g., Dark Wizards, Death Eaters) and take increased damage from Beasts (e.g., Erklings, Acromantulas)
  • Magizoologists deal bonus damage against Beasts (e.g., Erklings, Acromantulas) and take increased damage from Curiosities (e.g., Pixies, Werewolves)
  • Professors deal bonus damage against Curiosities (e.g., Pixies, Werewolves) and take increased damage from Dark Forces (e.g., Dark Wizards, Death Eaters)

Depending on your Profession, you’ll notice a green upwards arrow next to the Foes that you are strong against and a red downwards arrow next to the Foes that you’re weak against. When deciding on which Foe to enter into combat with, it helps to take these matchups into consideration as the extra damage can quickly add up!

Focusing on Teamwork

Now that you know which Foes you’re best suited to take on in combat it’s time to think about how to help your allies from the sidelines. After all, just because you’re not in combat doesn’t mean it’s time to sit around—your teammates still need you!

Upgrading your individual Profession skills will unlock Strategic Spells. These spells are unique to each Profession and separate from the standard spells used in combat. Strategic Spells are key to making the most of your time in a Fortress chamber when you’re not actively engaged in combat. Aurors specialize in weakening enemies with debilitating hexes. Magizoologists focus on bolstering allies by healing and reviving them with supportive charms. Professors use their encyclopedic knowledge of spells to adapt and switch between casting hexes on enemies and charms on allies. Keep an eye out for these spells along the bottom of your screen when in Fortress chambers.

To use Strategic Spells you’ll need Focus. In each Wizarding Challenge everyone starts with some initial Focus and your whole team can receive more by defeating certain Foes. You can receive additional Focus by consuming Invigoration Draughts or by receiving Focus from teammates via certain Strategic Spells.

Keep in mind some spells target Foes, some target an ally, some can be used on yourself, and some target your entire group. To make the best use of your Strategic Spells, think about the spell costs, timing and targets. Would it be more beneficial to help an ally overcome a particularly tenacious Foe or help a different ally quickly finish off an easier one? Is it better to heal an ally while they’re in the midst of combat or wait and revive them when the time is right? A solid understanding of not only your strengths and weaknesses, but also those of your teammates, combined with honing your sense of Strategic Spell use will truly result in elite-level teamwork!

Adventure Awaits

Keeping track of Professions, Strategic Spells, Focus and the different types of Foes can be quite a handful. Brush up on your Profession’s strengths and weaknesses, learn what your spells do and the best times to use them and don’t forget to use a Potion or two if you find yourself in a pinch. Take things one step at a time and start with lower difficulty Fortress chambers and Runestones and work your way up as you get the hang of things. After you take on your fair share of Foes along with your teammates you’ll be a master of Wizarding Challenges in no time!

Comments

• FlashingWandFlashingWand Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #213 May, 2020, 09:39 pm.

I like the Knight Bus but it never works anymore. It worked fine when it was launched but since the last update it won't do anything.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13 #313 May, 2020, 10:34 pm.

@FlashingWand welcome to the forum.

This thread is about strategy in wizarding challenges, which can take place at any fortress, not just on the Knight Bus. Please keep it on the strategy topic. There are other posts about bugs, including the Knight Bus not working. Please use those for that discussion.

• GrumkinGrumkin Posts: 30 ✭✭
    #414 May, 2020, 04:30 am.

Thank you for pushing the in-game article. Hoping a lot of the more casual players read and learn a thing or two.

• KJGloomzKJGloomz Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited May 14 #514 May, 2020, 09:04 am.

My recommended grade is 7 and the Dark Chamber I recommends grade 13, so in that case, am i capable to unlock the Dark Chamber II or further on Community Day and which runestone grade should be chosen? Please tell me 🙁 and sorry about my english if i post something incorrect.

• HelpImANoMajHelpImANoMaj Posts: 1
    #717 May, 2020, 08:17 pm.

Hello! I’m in need of some best practices for Wizarding Challenges. I want to be a helpful and good teammate especially now that I’m able to access harder chambers. I’m a level 10 professor and I’ve read different posts on here about best uses of charms and how to use focus well. I’d love to hear anymore thoughts or advice.

thank you!

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1017 May, 2020, 11:29 pm.

@VoiceMaster, I will often take a screen capture of my fellow wizards and post it in the "say hi" thread and thank them there or on the wizards united discord.

😁

• WitchHikerWitchHiker Posts: 105 ✭✭
    #1130 May, 2020, 09:52 pm.

Regarding ‘Helpimanomaj’s comment, I think the best thing is for each profession to start out fighting the foe they’re strongest against:

Aurors. Dark Wizards, Death Eaters...

MgicZ’s. Spiders, Erklings

Professors. Well I hear it’s about even with them.

If I’m in a challenge where I’m the only Auror and the MagicZ takes the dark wizard and leaves me with the spider...!!

that’s when we should be able to rate how courteous or not the other player/players are!!

• GrumkinGrumkin Posts: 30 ✭✭
    #1202 June, 2020, 05:10 pm.

As a prof, I start with the weakest pixies to help farm focus. Once I get proficiency cast and get some shields up, it's then on to the pups.

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1409 June, 2020, 09:23 pm.

@Bormacska I have noticed a few of those but didn't know all of them. Great infographic. Thanks for sharing.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1509 June, 2020, 10:11 pm.

Ooh nice, thanks @Bormacska! I always wondered which was which.

• SheaStonebrookSheaStonebrook Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #1621 June, 2020, 12:37 am.

I have a question about the beginning of a challenge.

It seems like everyone is able to begin before me.... I can't even share focus... and other team members are already engaged.

What am I doing wrong or not doing??

(I'm lvl 37 I normally use Auror as my profession)

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    #1721 June, 2020, 01:31 am.

@SheaStonebrook I'm not positive but it happens to me too when I go in a group and I try to pick a foe. Still a lag in knight bus maybe?

• Stina1AStina1A Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    #1821 June, 2020, 03:35 am.

I’m guessing lag. It doesn’t happen to me often but I’ve come into a fortress and somehow other (large, not one-hit) foes are almost dead already.

• SheaStonebrookSheaStonebrook Posts: 5 ✭✭
    #1921 June, 2020, 09:20 pm.

This happens most of the time now... I really feel as though I'm missing something. More than a lag.

I wonder if there's something else I should be doing entering the chamber.

• Dragons1111Dragons1111 Posts: 66 ✭✭
    #2022 June, 2020, 10:29 am.

Looking for help -> What does this mean??? I wasn't able to click and battle with any foe. That might be a bug but what is this greying? Does it mean anything? I did my job using focus and transfers. ^_^ I just saw all foes like this. Bug or not??? Thankful to the team for clearing foes up! :)

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2122 June, 2020, 11:17 am.

@Dragons1111 yes, that's a visual bug.

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 50 ✭✭
    #2223 June, 2020, 11:41 pm.

Hey, folks, I mastered the Magizoo profession and now I'm headed back to finish professor. As a prof, I'm level 12, but I have never battled with teammates as a prof. Any advice on what is at my disposal and what tactics I should use? I'm gonna start at some low levels, but I honestly have never used any of the prof spells or hexes in battle.

Thanks!

• Zuzanna93Zuzanna93 Posts: 28 ✭✭
    #2330 June, 2020, 12:27 pm.

@VoiceMaster As a Professor (level 15), my strategy in a team is the following:

First I try to be in a balanced team; no more than two of the same profession.

When I'm the only professor my first goal is to put a protection charm on Aurors (3 focus per charm). Then, proficiency charm on the whole team (7 focus), then, protection charm on myself first and others if needed. After that, I use deterioration Hex on hard foes.

When there's another professor in the team, I wait a moment to see which one of us is getting focus from Aurors. The one that gets focus should cast proficiency charm because it requires more focus than a protection charm. The other, not getting focus, should put protection charm on the aurors (might be that you need to beat a foe first to get enough focus for the second auror, in that case choose an easy pixie). When all aurors have protection charm and proficiency charm is in place; put protection charm on other members, starting with yourself (as the other professor can give it to him/herself and magi's are higher in stamina). Then, deterioration hex on hard foes.

When I play solo in lower chamers, I ususally just use deterioration hex on all foes (or stronger ones if there's too many foes and they don't return enough focus to keep putting det. hex on all of them). In the lower chambers, I am strong enough not to need the protection charm or proficiency, so I use det. hex on as many foes as possible to save spell energy.

Healing charm is free to use, but to me basically useless. It only restores 4 stamina and only to a teammate, not yourself. And only every 5 seconds.

I hope this helps!

#2430 June, 2020, 09:18 pm.

@KJGloomz until the knight bus came along, the only way I could fortress was solo.

So yes, it is possible to solo the dark chambers. I did but you’ll need to be stocked up on potions, especially healing potions because there are foes that can deplete your health 50+% with one strike.

You’ll need speed and potions!

Good luck!

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2502 July, 2020, 12:16 pm.

@WitchHiker Oh, the revelation that was doing Dark Chambers without potions!

edited July 2 #2602 July, 2020, 09:36 pm.

@Magpie31 (Swoop, swoop)

Were you alone or in a group?

Post edited by WitchHiker on
    #2703 July, 2020, 03:00 pm.

@WitchHiker I was a solo player before the KB, so I had no idea that you could D5 with no potions. It was such a wonderful moment, as was discovering invincibility for the first time.

Swoop swoop!

#2804 July, 2020, 05:13 am.

@Zuzanna93 Thank you for that detail. So, the difference, I think, from Magizoo thinking is that I hold back, see who gets focus from an Auror, then cast proficiency of protection (which I call the shield charm). I haven't been using the protection charm like I should be, so this helps a great deal.

And yes, using det hex in lower chambers is a hoot. Just buff and watch the numbers go down.

#2904 July, 2020, 05:28 am.

I have another question. It seems to me that when waiting in the lobby, players seem to enter during the last 30 seconds or so. So much so that I feel it's not random. I could be sitting there alone for a good minute and a half, and then suddenly four people jump on. Or three jump on and one jumps off and then another jumps on and everybody sees we have no time left so we abandon the whole endeavor. And like I said, it happens often. Is there something in the code that is suddenly showing chambers where not enough players have been sitting there for a while?

Also, does anybody else notice that the clock sometimes resets? It did it to me yesterday after four players joined and another was waiting. It was weird.

#3004 July, 2020, 10:56 am.

@VoiceMaster I think it might just be the lag.

It takes about 10 seconds for a friend to show up on my screen after they enter the fortress.

Then it takes me about 25 seconds to wait for the lag to reach the runestone screen.

Then there is another 5 - 10 second lag before reaching the chamber.

So from the time you get into the chamber to the time I can get in (if I saw you pop up straight away), it is at least 40 seconds gone. Which means the soonest you are likely to get other players is 1m20 left on the clock, if they are searching for chambers already open.

Some days, however, there is no lag. I live for those days.

#3104 July, 2020, 07:16 pm.

@Magpie31 DV and no potions?

Winder Woman lives!