Knight-Bus-Fortress: Matchmaking

LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 01 May, 2020, 04:27 pm.

Currently, the Teams that randomly find each other in the Knight-Bus-Fortress are often unbalanced / missing certain Professions. Following Feature is intended to resolve that by ensuring a more balanced distribution of Professions

Base Assumptions:
  • while there are several instances of the knight-bus-fortress, the matchmaking collects all of them into one space.
  • 5-Wizard-Groups are the most efficient in terms of xp/time ratio
  • AAAPM, AAPPM, AAPMM, APPMM, APPPM, APMMM are equally "balanced" compared to 2-Profession-Groups

Feature:
  • Upon entering the Knight-Bus-Fortress, the player is shown a new Button at the top of the Fortress-Screen
  • Upon tapping said new Button, the Player is asked to select a Difficulty-Level that (s)he would like to be matched for:
    • Ruins
    • Tower
    • Forest
    • Dark
  • (Only if all 5 Stages/Levels of said difficulty have been unlocked, the stage is shown)
  • ... and asked to select a Runestone.
  • After confirming (and a waiting time), the Player is "queued for all stages/levels in said difficulty"
  • If players are manually starting a lobby for a certain stage/level, they can opt-in to be queued as "queued for the specific stage/level"

The Game then puts together 5-Wizard-Groups respecting the specific queue-settings:

(If in one row several Configurations are marked, these are chosen at random)

Which stage/level is started is chosen depending on:

• the choice of Players who manually started a lobby
  • random

Reward:

Players who use this Matchmaking and successfully finish the Challenge are rewarded with:

• +50% Bonus on Challenge-XP
  • +50% Bonus on Challenge-Fragment
  • +5 Fragments for an un-maxed Challenge-Foundable of the corresponding difficulty (regardless of stage)
  • +50% Bonus on Family-Fragments
  • 100% chance to GET Family-Fragments

Abuse:
  • Players who quit and/or disconnect during the Challenge are given a 5 minute "Timeout" for the usage of the Matchmaking the first time
  • Repeated offenders are given 1h, 2h, 4h "timeouts" and are then finally removed entirely from using this feature

Comments

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #229 April, 2020, 02:50 pm.

Interesting idea, thanks for sharing.

I have a few thoughts:

1) why does this system need to offer increased rewards? Going into the fortress with a balanced team makes it much more likely to easily beat the chamber. Isn't that reward enough?

2) the assumption that all teams that include all 3 professions are equally good is not entirely accurate. I'd much rather go in with a team of AAAMP than AMMMP or AMPPP.

3) I'm curious how willing people would be to accept being placed in a random level. If I'm hoping for a good team to take on dark 5, will I be okay with ending up in dark 1?

4) based on how many people are generally present in the lobby of a particular instance of Hogwarts fortress, I think that there often wouldn't be enough people to use such a queueing system. It may require increasing the number of people present in each instance of the fortress to ensure that there are enough people to ensure effective matchmaking.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #329 April, 2020, 07:06 pm.

1) To compensate for not getting the difficulty and/or specific Fragment-Chamber you might want.

2) Any Combination of all 3 Professions is still preferable over having only 2 Professions.

3) Depends on why you want to go to DARK-V. If it is for challenge-XP, the Bonus-Reward will take care of that. If you're looking for a challenge, being teamed up with randoms might be challenging enough ;)

4) as I wrote under "Assumptions", all Knight-Bus-Fortress-Instances would be combined into 1 (ONE) Matchmaking-Queue to ensure that there's always enough people.

• AndyRozmanAndyRozman Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    #401 May, 2020, 10:53 am.

This matchmaking seems like good idea... Few notes though:

• result of matching should be group containing 2/2/1 mix, or maybe this could also be settable?
    • if user could specify which foundable and which type of foundable he/she is trying to get this might help with matching on levels. So if you select "Forest" and say I want Pufskein (for example), I would be considered for different levels of forest, when I say select that I want Hagrids hut
    • Why should I get penalty (5 minute timeout) if niantic server crashed or I my app crashed? You should get that only in case that you left the game. Same for repeated offender... If I have bad phone connection why should I get punishment for that, this would make playing in rural (badly covered areas very hard)
    • While rewards in list are great, I think this is something that Niantic will have biggest problems with, I would be happy with just 10% bigger rewards, and maybe posibility to get un-maxed foundables instead of everything like it happens now.
  • KreaturezKreaturez Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #501 May, 2020, 01:02 pm.

If this function goes live, I don't think anyone will hang out at fortresses anymore. Defeats the social aspect of the game.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #601 May, 2020, 03:12 pm.

@AndyRozman

result of matching should be group containing 2/2/1 mix, or maybe this could also be settable?

I can see why you'd want that. But the Group-Building is set so that it ensures short queues for everyone.

Why should I get penalty (5 minute timeout) if niantic server crashed or I my app crashed? You should get that only in case that you left the game. Same for repeated offender... If I have bad phone connection why should I get punishment for that, this would make playing in rural (badly covered areas very hard)

Because you can't tell the difference between someone force-closing his app and the server crashing, them disabling their WIFI/Network and them "accidently" disconnecting.

It would be an incentive in 2 directions:

• for Niantic to get their Servers, Application and Network stable
    • for Players to be mindful of their Network and not abuse the system

Keep in mind that this matchmaking is only intended for the knight-bus - which can be used ANYWHERE (and "should" be used in a stable, strong, fast wifi)

@Kreaturez

If this function goes live, I don't think anyone will hang out at fortresses anymore.

This is only intended for the Knight-Bus-Fortress - which has been very un-social from the get-go. "Regular Fortresses" would still exist without matchmaking. And due to the social aspect and the f2f-communication, they're more efficient.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #701 May, 2020, 03:46 pm.

@Lucoire "should" be used with strong, stable wifi!? I would say that the majority of people who will use the knight bus long term and post pandemic as their primary fortressing option are exactly the people who don't have access to strong, stable wifi. In fact, if the knight bus requires that kind of network connection (more stable than regular 3G /4G), then it is not fit for purpose.

(69 words)

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #801 May, 2020, 04:27 pm.

@Lucoire Our country is struggling with internet connections of late. After midnight it's worse. I am with the largest, most stable provider and they boast about automatic transfer to 4g if the NBN connection fails.

Reports say that daytime we're using 70-80% more bandwidth. Funnily I have my issues after midnight.

I did a fortress earlier, typical connection for me with no delays. By the time I entered the fortress there was already a player engaged in battle.

I love the idea of balanced groups although I did a fun one with 5 Aurors. 😁