A new profession

SelyvenSelyven Posts: 4 ✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 30 April, 2020, 06:16 pm.

Hello everyone,

I had an idea and wanted to share it with you.

With the excellent feedbacks that I have read on the Knight Bus and Fortresses in general, and that a lot of person tend to love playing with other players, I thought that adding another profession in the game could be an interesting idea and will help the diversity in Wizards Unite.

Why not adding a new profession, that could lead to adding new foes and new strategies/gameplay options.

This profession could be like a 'tank' profession (that is lacking now I think) :

Dragon Keeper or maybe Curse-breaker (with new profession skills)

What do you think?

I believe it could add some difficulty to the fortresses and add new exciting strategies with many other possibilities.

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26 #226 April, 2020, 11:18 pm.

Welcome to the Community, @Selyven

I'm not entirely sure I understand your proposal correctly, that's why I would like to rephrase it to ensure there's no misunderstanding.

Why not adding a new profession, that could lead to adding new foes and new strategies/gameplay options.

Currently, there's 3 Professions and 3 different Enemy-Types in Fortresses (with 2 archetypes each for those types).

So in a Fortress-Group where all 3 Professions are present, you can be certain that for each Enemy that the RNG spawns, there is a party-member that's good at dealing with it.

You're suggesting a new Enemy-Type and a New Profession that is good against this type (and - to keep with the existing mechanics - bad against another type and mediocre against the remaining ones). So to ensure that you have a group that can efficiently handle everything that the RNG spawns, you'd have at least one of those 4 Professions in a group of 5 available slots, yes?

This profession could be like a 'tank' profession (that is lacking now I think)

Hm, what makes a Profession a "Tank"?

If I look at RPGs, Tanks are usually Classes that are either good at mitigating, undoing or avoiding damage - thereby ensuring that they survive taking spells head-on much longer than the other members of the Group.

Now let's look at the existing Professions at their full power (including passives and self-buffs):

• Magizoologist: 525 Stamina, 71% Defence, 49% Protego Power, (60% Deficiency Defence)
    • Professor: 397 Stamina, 104% Defence, 45% Protego Power, (50% Deficiency Defence)
    • Auror: 296 Stamina, 39% Defence, 35% Protego Power, (50% Deficiency Defence)

At their full power, both Professor and Magizoologist are quite durable - and can even become invulnerable under certain circumstances.

So the question would be: what would a 4th profession need to be better at TANKING, than two classes that can become invulnerable?

• SelyvenSelyven Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #327 April, 2020, 07:50 am.

Hello Lucoire,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand your point of view.

Introducing a new profession will automatically introduce a new enemy-type and another slot maybe in fortresses. Why not 7 slots in fortresses? I know it would be a bit difficult to implement.

Concerning the tank profession, I was also thinking the same. Magizo and Professors could be considered more like "support" professions and not entirely tanks.

The new profession could be a mix of tank and dps.

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #427 April, 2020, 09:40 am.

That still doesn't explain what would make this new profession better at that role.

Again, a tank has

• High Health (like the Magizoologist),
    • High Mitigation (like both Professor and Magizoologist),
    • Abilities to further increase Mitigation (like the Professor)
    • Abilities to restore Heath (like the Magizoologist)

So the question remains: what is missing here?

• HidrazonaHidrazona Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29 #529 April, 2020, 02:02 pm.

Magizoologists are already top notch for tanking really. Even without Auror hexes my magiz friend barely takes scratches. And that without all his defensive lessons completed 😅

What could be interesting is to think about different specializations for each profession when we get new lessons available. But then again expanding further on what we have and being capable of eventually maxing out all lessons is also nice.

• AndyRozmanAndyRozman Posts: 101 ✭✭
    #629 April, 2020, 10:33 pm.

New professions wouldn't by default require different foes. For example Dragon handler, would probably have mix of all 3 professions or at least 2 (mazozooligist and auror)....

• RexHav0cRexHav0c Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30 #730 April, 2020, 06:07 pm.

I am going to be completely honest here, this game needs many things to be more successful than it is, and a new profession is way down the list IMO.

Of the 6 gamer motivations: Action, Social, Mastery, Achievement, Immersion and Creativity, WU only fully ticks one box and that is Achievement. There is little to no action, the only social engagement is out of game, the immersion is broken from HP canon with open House selection, and while creativity is attempted with portraits and options, it fails because no other player can see your selections.

The game needs a lot of things to broaden its appeal to gamers who are not hardcore HP fans or sticker collectors if it wants to be anything other than a niche player.

The Devs of this game seem to have an aversion to any type of competitive play which I assume stems from thoughts that competition is "bad" and cooperation is "good", while at the same time ignoring that most competition is by cooperating to achieve a goal and that competition is replete in the HP universe in things such as the House Cup, Quidditch and the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

We need a major new feature by the 1 year anniversary of this game or I fear for it's long term survival.

• RexHav0cRexHav0c Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    #830 April, 2020, 06:16 pm.

I think the problem comes from using the term "Tank" which is from MMO play where a character has the ability to channel MOB hate to themselves and take all the damage. While this is a decent mechanic in a multi-player game, it has little meaning in a game where all fights are 1v1.