Fortresses: New Idea

SelyvenSelyven Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 24 in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 04 May, 2020, 11:55 am.

Hello everyone,

I believe that adding a chat section with other teammates before a battle in fortresses is a good idea.

Indeed, it could be useful to share our strategies and to decide how we are going to take the battle. This chat will only be available before a battle and not during one. Players could share their strenghts, available potions, spell energy and so on.

If the chat is not an option, maybe adding a section with predisposed sentences, numbers (1,5, more than 5) and 'YES' and 'NO' answers is a good idea, such as:

• How many potions do you have?
  • Priorities in the battle
  • Strategic gameplay

What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #224 April, 2020, 09:54 am.

Welcome to the Community, @Selyven

This idea has been brought up before and this seems to indicate that people really want this.

That being said, "potions" shouldn't matter, Priorities in battle and/or Strategic gameplay "should" not depend on the group composition. If anything, it depends on the lesson-choices the individual Players have made - and THOSE can be made visible without the need for any active player interaction.

I can see the benefit for the Idea but at the same time I believe that the absense of a chat encourages players to be more empathic of each other and learn more about the other classes (and anticipate their gameplay). And if being unable to talk to each other makes us more caring and appreciative, then maybe that's worth it?

• SelyvenSelyven Posts: 4 ✭✭
    #324 April, 2020, 12:13 pm.

Hi Lucoire,

Thank you very much.

I understand your point of view, in fact, not having a chat encourages us to learn more about the other classes.

However, I still think that exchanging with other players could also be beneficial.

Maybe, like you said, lessons and choices of other players could be more visible! It could be nice and interesting if we can check the other players' lesson skills for instance.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #424 April, 2020, 02:09 pm.

@Lucoire your comment supposes that every player will follow the same strategies and priorities. It is entirely possible for a group of experienced players to all assume they're properly anticipating their teammates' actions but still work at cross purposes.

I so far haven't thought of an effective (and not distracting) way of integrating communication into fortress battles, but without it we are all just guessing and hoping that we are working well together.

• AcroamatisAcroamatis Posts: 38 ✭✭
    #524 April, 2020, 09:50 pm.

I would say that pre-chosen sentences/values that one can communicate are the best solution, both from a perspective of preventing inappropriate language from entering a game that kids are (and should be!) playing, and from the perspective of translation.

If you have a means of asking for / indicating predetermined things, that can be translated to the local language of whoever else is participating, regardless of where they are in the world.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    #625 April, 2020, 04:55 pm.

I agree with @Acroamatis. I know bringing a chat function is difficult and brings with it a lot of controversies @Lucoire but we do need a way to communicate. Having said that, no one’s got time to type out thing during battle. So it might be useful if say there were buttons or something that you can tap on. If you need focus, you tap the focus button and it notifies the aurors or if you need reviving and the magizoo is busy battling and doesn’t know it, you tap on another button and it notifies the magizoo, etc.

Playing the devil’s advocate against myself: too many buttons- clutter - not conducive to gameplay. But there has to be a similar solution.

• ZersnaZersna Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited April 26 #726 April, 2020, 05:36 am.

I think adding a chat slows the fight down, regardless of whether, using predefined buttons or phrases, hpwu's fortresses are designed to play with friends or people to interact, the experience is more enjoyable if you play with live people.

I would not like to play alone in the park with players in chat digital.

I m sorry my english no good.

• HidrazonaHidrazona Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    #829 April, 2020, 02:15 pm.

I think basic communication is necessary.

With preset buttons like "Charge me" "Debuff here" or something better it shouldnt slow down progress, and could potentially help it go even faster/smoother.

Furthermore, its nice to know what each class does and so on, but without any communication sometimes one can only guess. Like for instance, many don't know that Magizoologists can ressurect players using only 1 focus, instead of spending more for healing a % of health. And people simply avoid dying instead.

Sometimes there's more than one professor in a party, and aurors transfer focus randomly to get the proficiency buff and then none of them can cast because it's all spread out.

Those things are not super critical but the gameplay can go much smoother with a button "Ready to ressurect" or others, potentially allowing lower profession level players to clear more difficult stuff.

About the social factor, it's a thing that the Knight Bus potentially makes people that don't have a raiding group atm avoid other people even further (which is actually good in the current situation we are facing with covid19), but it's also a thing that many people live in remote areas where not many, if any at all, people play at.

#929 April, 2020, 07:21 pm.

I think basic communication is necessary.

I disagree. Useful, yes. "Needed", no.

• ZersnaZersna Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited April 30 #1030 April, 2020, 06:57 pm.

@Hidrazona Your opinion is important.

I think adding a chat breaks the game mechanics.

1- by adding a chat or dialog buttons, users will start playing alone, you will no longer need to personally communicate with other nearby players to design strategies.

2- misuse of the dialogue or chat buttons, it is annoying when the players misuse (chats full of spam, pressing the dialogue buttons only to annoy, offend or annoy only because they do not carry out the strategy that the other player wants ).

3- when adding a chat dialogue you must understand or understand the language or strategy of other users

Ahem:

Some people cannot speak other languages, communication is not effective.

a translator has flaws in some words.

dialog buttons,

If you have a strategy and I have another strategy, they do not coincide and the other players would not understand it.

• RexHav0cRexHav0c Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    edited May 1 #1101 May, 2020, 01:15 am.

Communication is necessary. I guess the main question is, does said communication need to occur in game? Prior to the introduction of the Knight Bus, I would argue that in person communication or using tools such as Discord or Team Speak aptly fill the requirement for team communication. With respect to the Knight Bus, I don't see it sticking around past the current need due to the pandemic, but if it does, some form of rudimentary communication platform might be a good thing, along with a karma system to rate players for attentiveness and fair play would be nice. Not needed, but nice.

Due to the toxic nature of communication channels in Ingress, Niantic has seemed loathe to introduce them in any game since. I do not see that position changing in all honesty.

• KreaturezKreaturez Posts: 47 ✭✭
    #1201 May, 2020, 01:09 pm.

Communication is important. Saying you died is much easier than tapping onscreen a few times to say you need a heal, with no gaurantee that the other person saw it. So adding those buttons is a good idea and shouldn't replace social aspect.

#1301 May, 2020, 03:02 pm.

I get that communication is wanted. And I agree that it would be useful.

But it isn't necessary, it isn't a requirement - not for playing HPWU, not for Fortresses, not for the Knight Bus.

I would even go a step further and say that communication should be an opt-in. If people don't want to communicate with other people or don't want other people to communicate with them, they should be able to without having to do anything. The default should always be privacy and the return to privacy should always be an easy step.

Communication should be a choice, never a requirement - because communication, ANY COMMUNICATION, can be used for hostility and toxicity.

• HidrazonaHidrazona Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    #1403 May, 2020, 02:34 pm.

@Zersna

A whole chat option is too much, and likely clunky in the way that people would need translators, writing full sentences and so on... and also opens space for toxicity and bad mouthing.

That would be the reason for the buttons. And knowing how much those can be abused there should be a limit of click/time, and a "button ban" of X mins or so if abused (used more than 2-3 times over a few seconds), which grows increasingly larger the more you abuse. My experience with such mechanic was in final fantasy record keeper, where the multiplayer option had the possibility of very short messages such as "I will heal" or "Turtle" (slow down damage), which was very useful, and tbf I dont remember it being abused really.

The thing you mentioned about conflicting strategies is something that exists anyway, simple communication could only help.

Then again, I think the ones that would get best results from it are mostly the newer or not so experienced people. Or when people are running short due to crashes or so. My experience in the KB has been that most people are typically well aware of what to do or not in a chamber, and apart from the occasional bugs, crashes and freeloaders, it's always run considerably smooth.

• AndyRozmanAndyRozman Posts: 101 ✭✭
    #1504 May, 2020, 11:55 am.

Having chat or at least some predefined phrases would be helpful....

I haven't played that many fight in teams yet, but so far my experience was pretty mixed... In some cases people knew what they were doing (helping each other), but in some they were pretty useless (no help, taking on wrong opponents, etc.).