New to group Fortressing?

Comments

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30 #6230 April, 2020, 04:02 am.

@Owlx I have issues with that fortress strategy. What is the point in having proficiency if you are all taking serious hits? Surely shields come first? And if you are just a P/M team and have loads of death eaters and wizards, it is a waste to cast proficiency first.

If in tower chambers, go for it. If in a high forest or dark chamber, surely it should be shields first? What is it @Dogoutlaw says? Friends don't let friends go into dark chambers without shields!

(86 words)

• NPElolliNPElolli Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #6330 April, 2020, 06:59 am.

I finally got a dark chamber done, which is something I failed to solo a lot before. Love the Knight Bus, I hope they keep it after the whole situation too. I even met a new teammate there, TheRednaxel, who I did a lot of chambers with (we always coincidently jumped in the same chamber :D), but sadly you need a code to send friend requests...

• MsPeithaMsPeitha Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #6430 April, 2020, 09:27 pm.

I’m a solo experienced professor. Often when I attempt to cast (I assume drag and drop) proficiency it appears nothing has happened. What am I doing incorrectly? Is there some magical technique I’m not aware of?

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6530 April, 2020, 10:05 pm.

@MsPeitha If someone else has already cast said spell (shield or proficiency etc), then you can’t cast ‘over’ the one already cast.

I find that when I’m in a fortress challenge with more than one Professor, one of us will concentrate on casting proficiency, and the other will shield.

If everyone’s had proficiency & shield, then (and only then), cast your Det Hex.

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #6630 April, 2020, 10:36 pm.

@Imaginatio thank you very much for the Bug report. I dont think that has happened to me, as of yet.

That bug situ sounds very specific indeed... I wonder if its more a hardware issue across networks. Im not certain, but based on the

screen names Im encountering, Im playing with Northern Europeans at times ( or perhaps transplants).

I doubt Ill see you in D5 soon... I just managed to get clearance for D3, and Im waitiing to oat up and get to Auror 15 first.

Nonetheless, Im aware of this group well enough, that Im on the hopeful, constant lookout for you and others.

Including my friends list!

(Jeanie Gumkin where are you? Come and play already! I mention her because she has been the highest ranked friend

Ive made. She's currently at 48!

As a positive, I approve of your use of Brilliant stones. My son came up with the strategy to be willing to use them,

as a SACRIFICE, for the first go through of a Dark chamber, SOLO. Not so much skin in the game, you see the amount of

enemies to deal with ( and their sometimes unbelievable strength..... I toyed around with an Elite Acro this morning that was

3228. I wisely left that beauty to a skilled Magi, and sent as much Bat bogey and Focus as I could.)

@Owlx im so happy to see Priority One, cited in your OKC wizards guide, is exactly what I was suggesting..... Send focus to the Professor. Thanks for the validations!

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6701 May, 2020, 03:12 am.

@Skaana the OKC guide is a group strategy I found in a reddit. And is similar to how my group plays.

@Magpie31 and @Dogoutlaw yes shields can go up 1st it's group or player preference. If there are 2A and 2P they can happen almost simultaneously.

The idea is professors should understand that they should try using either or both green spells, before hexing. Watch your teammates green stamina bar. And Auror's bar going down fast may mean they aren't maxed shield fast. Their bars mid way or higher shield can wait til next round of foes are kealed.

#6801 May, 2020, 03:19 am.

@MsPeitha

If you long press the spell or hex you want to use, the teammates or foes that it can be used on with be bright. If they are greyed out it already has spell or hex used.

There are also small icons under your stamina for team spells and orange icon under foes stamina. I'll try to find a screenshot example to post.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #6901 May, 2020, 07:28 pm.

@Owlx agreed, charms before hexes for profs! Right now with the death bug at the fortress, I do like to shield first, but I'm good with whatever the group decides.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7001 May, 2020, 09:20 pm.

@Skaana no problem, it is a weird bug. No idea what kind of issue it is though. However, I’m glad it’s being addressed by the HPWU team 😊

I’m sure you’ll get to D5 soon if you haven’t already. I hope to bump into you and other familiar names in a fortress battle too 😊

• HoosierfanHoosierfan Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #7102 May, 2020, 03:19 am.

So this is probably obvious, but what are the little boxes that light up below each wizard. I haven’t been able to figure it out.

and a suggestion for the developers: stop allowing the foes to appear behind those graphics. It makes it hard to see if they’re already engaged.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7202 May, 2020, 03:52 am.

@Hoosierfan those boxes indicate which charms are in effect for the player. charms enhance the fortress play of the player. similar to the other little boxes below each foe, which indicate which hexes are in effect for the foe.

edited May 2 #7302 May, 2020, 04:27 am.

@Hoosierfan welcome to the forum.

Help will always be given to those who ask.

Yes @kiheikid is correct. To elaborate a bit.

Each box is a teammate charm -pictured

1st Charm is proficiency the 2nd is bravery

The other is shield not pictured has a shield on it.

You can tap the and they show what it is.

(Try it out in a solo ruins chamber where you have more time😉)

Similarly if a foes has orange in it's boxes that shows a hex. Note is the same player puts 2 hexes on the same foe only 1 box shows orange.

The hexs that are on the foe will show under their stamina bar when your engaged in a battle. Tapping on the icon will show what it is. Take a screen shot to read later. After battle.

If the foe is greyed out its is engaged.

Spider is grey enaged. Notice the small wizard icon upper right of spider? The magi in the center with a green halo is battling the spider.

DW and Erkling bright open foes.

Also note that both the Erkling and spider have an orange box there are both hexed.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7402 May, 2020, 01:11 pm.

All of the above is correct. One fine point that's not immediately obvious: the boxes under the wizards show if a charm was cast by a particular teammate. In @Owlx's picture above, there are 2 boxes lit up because one charm was cast by the professor and one was cast by the magizoologist. If a professor casts proficiency and then shields a teammate, that person will only see one box light up because both charms came from the same person.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7502 May, 2020, 04:23 pm.

@MtPollux I’ll be completely honest, I never knew that part before, thank you! I knew they were the charms cast on teammates, but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why if I already cast proficiency, saw the green dot on a teammate, and then shielded that same teammate, why there weren’t two green dots. But then other times there were two green dots. I couldn’t wrap my head around it. I just figured each dot represented the number of charms on a person, not necessarily who cast them.

• OmaLaurieOmaLaurie Posts: 48 ✭✭
    #7603 May, 2020, 04:49 am.

I did my first knight bus fortress yesterday, so fun! Thanks for all the helpful,comments, I have a question though, @Owlx commented hopping out of a fight, how do you do that? I’ve only played solo previously and didn’t know you could do that.

• ElisaWilsonElisaWilson Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    #7703 May, 2020, 09:36 am.

@OmaLaurie It doesn't matter if you're playing solo or in a group, you can always get out of the current fight and return to the main area with the foe overview. You do it simply by clicking on the small circled wizard which you can find in the top left corner of your screen. In the image below you can see it in the left of the smaller pictures, right below the stamina bar and the icons showing the spells. This is the same icon you can use to return to the map when you don't want to fight an oddity or return a foundable you've clicked on.

#7803 May, 2020, 03:15 pm.

@ElisaWilson , thank you. I knew you could get out of a foundables fight with that icon but it never clicked I could get out of a foe fight. That’s a big help. 👍

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #7903 May, 2020, 07:45 pm.

@OmaLaurie If you are fighting a foe you aren't proficient at and your HP is way low, sometimes the best thing to do, especially with the revive bug being a problem, is to hop out of the foe.

See if someone who is proficient in that area can take over and look for something that you can fight without problems... I know as an auror, there have been many battles that I will not have a DW/DE to fight, so I will jump into something "simple" use my auror's first strike to do damage, and jump out to leave the foe for the prof or magizoo to take on. I appreciate it more when other professions jump out of my DE/DW to fight their own specialties because it can be painful to watch them take too much time and energy when it is something I could hit a small handful of times and walk away.

#8003 May, 2020, 10:40 pm.

I just got bumped out of my second knight bus fortress, the first we were almost done and this time over halfway through. I tried the hard start and that did not put me back in battle. Any other suggestions?

#8103 May, 2020, 10:54 pm.

@OmaLaurie did you get an error message again when the app restarted or did the app put you back on the map/fortress? If you get the error message again once you’ve done a force restart, please note that it may take 2-4 force restarts before you get back into the chamber battle. As this particular bug happens when someone is knocked out, you have to wait until the person’s countdown is finished before the restart let’s you back into the battle. If you were placed back on the map/fortress, then contact HPWU help and support on the app explaining what happened and they should be able to help.

The HPWU team have mentioned that they are working on a fix for the bug which should be available in the next update, so hopefully when that happens this issue will be sorted.

#8204 May, 2020, 02:14 am.

@Imaginatio , I got kicked out again 👎🏻 and tried your suggestion to force restart but no go. I feel bad for the other teammates but at least we were halfway through and I had cast a proficiency charm. I did report to HPWU team, I don’t think I’ll be playing again til the bug is fixed. 😕

#8304 May, 2020, 05:50 am.

i just got kicked out by server error in dark5 challenge as part of a 4-person team, AMPP, during first 20 secs

sorry to my teammates in that battle ... i tried to get back in by recommended method but no luck

lost 9.75 level 5 runestones and a strong invig

#8504 May, 2020, 11:29 pm.

@OmaLaurie Oh no. Hopefully the new update with the bug fix will be issued soon. Until then possibly sticking to solo battles might be a good workaround?

#8604 May, 2020, 11:35 pm.

@Magpie31 - give the benefit of the doubt to those who earned it by doing something positive toward successful completion of the fortress battle, but not to those who don’t deserve such benefit of the doubt

the troll just sits there doing nothing

the ones who get kicked out by server error usually do something positive like casting charms, casting hexes, sharing focus, and engaging foes

#8805 May, 2020, 01:01 pm.

@Punkyfins ☝️👏👏👏👏🥰

Standing ovation to you for your United post. Thank you

Are you on any of the wizard unite discords? https://wizardsunitehub.info/news/wizards-unite-discord-launch/

Please feel free to message me if you are. Same user name as here makes it easier to find players and friends.

Hope to see you in a fortresses soon

See healthy, be well, be safe

And Happy Pottering.

• TwinGypsyTwinGypsy Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    #8905 May, 2020, 01:55 pm.

@Punkyfins I'm still learning but I feel the frustration in terms of inexperienced players, although I probably wouldn't label them on a forum. Hence@Owlx suggested our discord thread. There's no filter on that one haha. Well said & might I add I appreciate the kindness & compassion in your words to those that aren't as experienced. @kiheikid I have been on both sides of the fence. Frustrated because of lack of team work in the fortresses, much due to the inexperienced players. However, I have never ever played "video games" . I'm still wet behind the ears in several ways. You make a valid point in reference to the frustration, but on the flip side, keep in mind many aren't die hards like all of us are. Much of WU is a learning curve & the WU team has really accommodated much of the requests to satisfy all of us players. As with the learning curve. I'm sure there's a technology curve to include glitches & black outs & kick outs. I feel your pain. Just last night I got kicked out & I was using my precious BBE & I had 3-4 min left on it. Guess what? I couldn't get back into the game until I had like 30 seconds left. I was PISSED. However my anger or frustration, whatever you want to label it, I cursed & swore in the privacy of my home. I truly understand both sides--- but at the end of the day, aside from just being a game (I spend ungodly amounts on it lol). We all got to muster up compassion, kindness & understanding. We all make mistakes & there's bound to be set backs within the game in general. Afterall, we are all human beings. Patience does pay off. Namasté. Love you all