The Free Rider Problem

Comments

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #9227 April, 2020, 06:53 pm.

For me it's the other way around @kiheikid. So in lower chambers: proficiency before protection. In higher chambers protection before proficiency. (If one magi: protect magi. Otherwise protect auror). Then protect as needed. Then hex highest first.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #9327 April, 2020, 07:04 pm.

@Punkyfins - i can understand your logic too, but for me the cost-benefit conclusion is different in lower chambers because the foes are relatively more easily disposed of even without proficiency and the flat 40hp det hex has proportionately more punch per focus in the lower chambers than in the higher chambers.

frankly, a 3000+ hp spider in dark chambers is not leaving the world that much more quickly at 40hp per stroke under my det hex, but giving a magizoo the proficiency boost to rampage against the spider is worth it. even profs or aurors can handle the smaller spiders pretty handily.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #9527 April, 2020, 07:18 pm.

To add onto Lola’s last. You may have to restart multiple times, but DO NOT hit the restart button. You won’t get back in until the ko’d person’s countdown is done, which can be a long time depending on chamber.

#9727 April, 2020, 07:22 pm.

@hpwulola there’s another pic I flagged that needs to be removed. Thanks.

• HPWUblueHPWUblue Posts: 825 mod
    #9827 April, 2020, 07:46 pm.

I reviewed the post and took the necessary action. Thank you for flagging!

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27 #9927 April, 2020, 08:03 pm.

I just did a dark 5 with PPAMM and we had several elite foes so I hit up the first spider and then cast the Bravery charm which cost me 7 focus. I then hit up and am irkling and with zero focus it took me forever to take that suck er down. I did my five and there were four foes left to go and two people weren’t engaging for whatever reason And the clock was ticking so I had to take on a dark wizard. So i used a potent and took him down. I got 3k WXP but it was my first dark chamber that didn’t go what I Would have thought of as smoothly. Maybe I shouldn’t have cast my bravery charm that early. I don’t know what I would have done differently. No one was knocked out and the auror/professor did protect me where I wasn’t taking any hit points. But we did have a ton of massive elites. So it was a learning curve for me.

• FireNightingaleFireNightingale Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    #10027 April, 2020, 08:04 pm.

Good to know that there's a bug that can cause people to look like they're sitting there. I feel a bit better about it if there's a legitimate reason for it to happen! Thank you for sharing that. :o)

#10127 April, 2020, 08:32 pm.

@FireNightingale Let the clock tick down to at least under a minute before joining. If it looks like they aren't playing, give them a minute in case it's the bug. If they're legit, they want to play and won't gain the experience if you handle everything for them. Of course play on if you want, but maybe leave them a foe or two of their proficiency, just in case. I remember when I was new and ruins was hard. But it was still fun to see my improvement as I gained lessons and experience. If they really are free loaders, which I know there are, there's nothing you can do about it unless you want to ditch your runestone. But who does that really hurt?

Benefit of the doubt is always a good thing.

#10227 April, 2020, 08:54 pm.

Well said @Dogoutlaw! BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!!

At the end of the day it is a game and we are all learning to play from home to the best of our abilities.

#10327 April, 2020, 09:29 pm.

@ClairabusGryff about your elite problem. It's a strategy question, probably not best here. But I will say, casting bravery as soon as you hit 7 focus is almost never a good idea (despite what a certain MZ graphic says!!). Unless you see a few foes about to be defeated by people with plenty of stamina. Because as you know, if someone goes down, there's no reviving. And you are half your power against foes until you get back to 5. It's a situational thing that you'll have to get a feel for as you get more experience. In your case with the double magi, and not being able to communicate, you could have still waited just a bit, then cast. If you were below 5, you could have hung back and let the other magi pick up the slack until you were full strength again. It's a team effort.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #10427 April, 2020, 09:30 pm.

@Dogoutlaw lol, I meant I would stick to the stamina charm instead of revive. Revive is just the preference though, due to it needing only one focus. But right, so I have to make sure I’m not engaged if someone is about to be ko’d; I shall remember that. I also didn’t realise it wouldn’t let you in until the ko’d person was able to fight again. The 1-2 minutes to get back into the chamber makes sense now. I shall be extra careful next time with revive.

@hpwulola I just felt really bad in that particular battle as I was the only Magizoologist and the main foes left were Erklings when I got back in. Fingers crossed a fix will be found soon.

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #10527 April, 2020, 09:33 pm.

@kiheikid Here’s a thought for you.

If you were an Auror, and saw the Professor in your group Det Hex an opponent instead of shielding or holding back and waiting to cast a proficiency charm, would you transfer focus to that Professor?

• Uli14Uli14 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #10627 April, 2020, 09:37 pm.

I’ve had multiple problems with the new group game play. BUT The knight bus play along with gifting (if not abused) has made this game completely different. That said I have had myself twilight zone into a intense game play that I thought I would was waiting for a time counter to join a foretress and the counter is ending. There is a bug!! I’ve had it happen to me in 3/say out of 60 fortresses I have entered. I find it happened when people waited til the end of the timer. Why wait? There is 5 of us!! BUT people do abuse the group play with strangers using our strengths and lightings to Gain status. It’s frustrating !! But have you seen this ?? It went to -2 foes??

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27 #10727 April, 2020, 09:45 pm.

@ClairabusGryff they're still so tough, aren't they. I've had some lucky ones, where I could really dig in: and some tough ones where I ended up spending over a minute(!) on one erkling. Just because it didn't have the don't-dodge-dude hex.

And then there was the one where we all started, and I got the focus and....

I got frazzled and cast proficiency 🤦‍♀️

So I had to scramble back to actually protect everyone as quick as i could... Oh well. We won: and i learned 😉

Post edited by Punkyfins on
    #10827 April, 2020, 09:47 pm.

@Uli14 yes, the foe count issue is not uncommon. Most likely, you saw the error, but your teammates had a correct foe count. And please read above regarding a lag bug in the waiting room. It's quite common right now.

#10927 April, 2020, 10:15 pm.

Yes @dogoutlaw I agree with you I should have waited to cast that Bravery charm because it cost me about 15 SE in the end but I wasn’t going to let my team fail. But you know what I am not going to do is blame the other players for not giving me their focus and taking care of me because it was my mistake. I learned my lesson. I was trying to help the team being able to tackle all of those elites. I paid the price but oh well - I tend to try to learn from my mistakes instead of blaming other people for them.

• Uli14Uli14 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    #11127 April, 2020, 10:27 pm.

#Dogoutlaw

thanks for the heads up but honestly there are soo many comments sometimes I just can’t but wanted to share what I saw seemed like a flaw ! I won’t bother next time. But I see it’s obvious you are competing with most comments on wizards unite quite the expert haha 😂

#11227 April, 2020, 11:27 pm.

@Dewin99 - do you have a better use for an auror’s extra focus?

#11327 April, 2020, 11:33 pm.

for balance, just wanted to share a great experience as part of a five player team in dark 5 — AAMPP

i took a strong invig, cast the team proficiency first, saw everyone staying in their lanes (tackling foes they were proficient against, first, and spreading charms and focus as needed). we finished with over 4 minutes to spare.

each of us used a level 5 or level 4 runestone, so that gave me a bit more comfort that we all were serious and knew what we were doing. if those teammates are reading this post, cheers and well done !

edited April 27 #11427 April, 2020, 11:46 pm.

in contrast, i earlier saw in the dark5 lobby a player using a brilliant runestone (all level 1), so i left quickly and looked for a different battle to join. yes, folks are free to use whatever level runestone they want or have available ... but given the spell energy and potion investment it takes to successfully complete a dark5 challenge, it seems to me a waste to use just a brilliant runestone on the last day of the brilliant event, so my conclusion was that this person might be either less experienced or less serious. i could be wrong about that player, but that was the quick analysis i did as the seconds counted down in the lobby, and i chose to look elsewhere.

#11528 April, 2020, 02:11 am.

@kiheikid as a heads up, some great, experienced players do select a BE RS to get in the waiting room, then if players join that look serious, they’ll change RS. However, if they never change RS and appear they’re going in with the BE, yeah it’s risky. The ones I’ve seen do it are the ones who don’t know about the restart error, hit the button and are booted. I’ve lost too many battles to that darn bug, I understand their thinking, but I’m hesitant to take that risk as well unless I know the rest of the team there with me.

#11628 April, 2020, 02:12 am.

I agree with you @kiheikid - when I see someone using a brilliant runestone level one I exit out of the battle because that seems ludicrous! I look for players using 4 or 5 level runestones and nothing less on a level 5 dark chamber.

• ImaginatioImaginatio Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28 #11728 April, 2020, 02:27 am.

Interesting take from you all and I get it; I probably would do the same, however after I’ve finished my current skill tree (I’m two lessons away) I am seriously considering using BE runestones from the circus calamitous event in dark V. I wasn’t able to get the family rank to 65* and it’s really annoying me. Dark V is the only one that guarantees a family foundable and therefore points to increase the rank. So, just a heads up to anyone who reads this and sees me in Dark V with a Brilliant runestone - I am serious about it, I just have a weird reason for choosing to use a BE runestone.

#11828 April, 2020, 02:37 am.

@Uli14 it seems like english is not your first language, so I may have misunderstood your comment about the bug.

The bug in the pic is somewhat common, so I was letting you know since you asked if anyone had seen it. It’s a valid question, and I answered. Was no one supposed to answer you? Why say you won’t bother next time?

I thought you were also trying to describe a bug in the waiting room which I had mentioned previously. This is the part of your comment I may not have interpreted correctly. Instead of going into the bug again, I thought referencing it was better.

Not sure what’s offensive about that, but judging by your reply, you’re offended. If you’re upset by my flagging your post where you named and shamed, I stand by that. Happy wizarding 🧙‍♂️

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28 #11928 April, 2020, 09:36 am.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT on behalf of Aurors

Please buff us. The group was AAPP

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #12028 April, 2020, 09:43 am.

I don't appreciate taking on an elite foe that I'm weak to with no buff. The Professor's would have been neutral but they wouldn't touch it. And yes, at the start I transferred all my focus except 1 for my target hex.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #12128 April, 2020, 10:02 am.

I try to do auror shields before my own. After all, they are weaker (defence wise) than me.

(18 words)