Weather condition alert

JashoggJashogg Posts: 2 ✭✭
in General Questions #1 latest comment 14 June, 2020, 10:41 am.

Why is the weather conditions alert still active when all the other updates have been made to play the game from home?

Comments

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #210 April, 2020, 07:53 pm.

Legal reasons.

• JashoggJashogg Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #310 April, 2020, 09:11 pm.

If the alert has to be up, then don't make the foundables appear less

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #410 April, 2020, 10:19 pm.

@Jashogg it says they may appear less frequently, not that they actually will. As Lucoire said, it’s for legal reasons.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #511 April, 2020, 08:35 am.

I would say that spawns are less during weather reports.

In Australia we had the warning every day of summer due to the bushfires. Although I returned thousands of foundables I did not see 1 dragon.

In autumn when the weather and fires settled I finally saw one.

#611 April, 2020, 09:03 am.

Dragons are insanely rare, therefore probably not a good criteria.

#711 April, 2020, 09:25 am.

@Lucoire I take your point however I returned over 12.2k foundables over the period.

There are players in here that see them daily (Texas). I remember a post from @Kiheihol recently where he got 5 in a day.

Meanwhile our dragons must have been out of town breathing fire into bushes to create the worst bushfire we've ever had.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    #811 April, 2020, 10:50 am.

Is weather report/alert the clouds thingy at the edge of the top right screen?

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #911 April, 2020, 12:07 pm.

@WerewolfChaser You’ve confused me there, “Spawns are less..” but you’ve caught 12.2k foundables?

I haven’t seen a dragon in ages either!

How are things out there now with regards to the fires?

#1011 April, 2020, 12:43 pm.

@Dewin99 I will not confess how many hours that took!

Bushfires are all out after burning for a record 240 days. Now like the rest of the world we don't have loo paper, hand sanitiser or masks. First world problems I guess.

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1111 April, 2020, 01:19 pm.

@WerewolfChaser Glad to hear the fires are out. Keep safe!

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭
    #1211 April, 2020, 05:32 pm.

The what the w hat the what? I don’t get any alerts. Then again, my weather doesn’t change unless I restart the game multiple times and when the weather/time of the day hasn’t changed there are practically no spawns.

Daytime at 8:55 PM.

And if if it shows clear skies, I always restart the game because the game lies to me. It is never clear. I have wasted many a tonic hoping for dragons or centaurs when it was supposedly clear.

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    #1312 April, 2020, 12:39 am.

I always wait from clear sunny skies to cloudy before using TTD otherwise TTD cant be used. 🤔

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #1413 June, 2020, 05:55 am.

I would like to know how to disable the weather alert. I get that foundables are harder to find in different conditions. It's meaningless to me as I can't apparate to another climate to play this game. I live in Las Vegas. It's over 100 degrees here five months out of the year. Sunny and hot. The game does not need to keep reminding me of that.

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    #1513 June, 2020, 08:11 am.

@VoiceMaster I don't think that's possible but if you figure something out please let me know, cause it's driving me bonkers😂

#1613 June, 2020, 01:18 pm.

@VoiceMaster

As I pointed out further up, the "Weather Alert" is a legal requirement - and triggered by weather-services in the area.

The game does not need to keep reminding me of that.

One would think that people would be "mindful of their surroundings" and "not trespass" and "take care of their own health" even without a game telling them. But the class action law suits between 2016 and 2019 against Niantic (in the context of trespassing) tell a different story. So... "nope".

• FixMyGreenStarsFixMyGreenStars Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    #1713 June, 2020, 01:46 pm.

Two times in my case i has red dot alert weather with sun day no clouds

• VoiceMasterVoiceMaster Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #1814 June, 2020, 02:04 am.

@Lucoire Might you have links to those lawsuits? Or at least tell me what court they might have been in so I can look them up?

#2014 June, 2020, 10:41 am.

Followup (since the Article seems to go "login-walled"):

United States District Court for the Northern District of California Filed: February 14, 2019 Case No. 3:16-cv-04300-JD

(...)

This case sprang forth from a number of lawsuits filed after Pokemon Go’s remarkable world-wide success in July 2016. These suits were later consolidated and then jointly claimed that Niantic “effectively transformed those properties into scavenger hunt grounds.”

(...)

Niantic argued that it was not responsible for players’ actions and had done nothing wrong. The judge was unable to point to any precedent delineating liability for placing objects in a virtual space associated with private property in the real world, but believed it was enough to trigger the trespassing claims presented in the suit.

(...)

Niantic will also take a further step by removing in-game Pokestops and Pokemon Gyms that are located near single-family residential properties, as well as taking efforts to prevent new ones from being created in such places. New in-game notifications will caution players to be wary of their real world surroundings, and Niantic also will change in-game events to more closely correlate with the hours of operation for public parks.