What does your area look like playing the game from home?

OwlxOwlx Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3 in General Questions #1 latest comment 06 July, 2020, 02:04 pm.

Hello SOS task force team members,

With our world changing and we're all in some form of isolation, the way we play is changing.

Standing ovation to the WU and Niantic team for adapting changing the games so we can continue to play safely.

Hoping the whole team is safe and well. Thank you for the hours and hours of hard work.

We all play in different locations, have different restrictions, and game challenges.

I still have a decent amount of spawns at my house. I have 4 GH 3 inns and 2 fortress in about a 5 km radius that i can safely walk to weather permitting. Yesterday was 55F today it's snowing.

We as a united task force are smarter, stronger, and super creative, let's get to brainstorming to help fellow witches and wizards.

In order for Niantic to continue to evolve WU they need our input.

Be Positive, constructive, specific, be respectful.

and if you can follow the previous... In my best Professor McGonagall voice, posture and stare Be Quiet and take your seat.

So what as a player need do you need to help play in isolation?

@WonderingWendy could you share your screenshot here too? You need more spawns or traces? Other than TTD does anyone have suggestions? @HPWULOLA or @HPWUblue ?

Post edited by Owlx on

Comments

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #203 April, 2020, 07:44 pm.

Thanks for starting this @Owlx! And I would also like to reiterate what you said about the HPWU team - they’ve done an incredible job making this game playable from home on any given day and adjusting events so that they can also be done at home. Thank you so much!

If you’ve spent any time on this forum in the past few weeks, you know there is no shortage of people chiming in with their two knuts about what could be improved beyond what’s already been done. Here are just some of the things that come to mind:

• Increased spell energy on the map
    • Change daily tasks (inn visits and fortress battles) to be done completely from home
    • Drop gifts as random bonus rewards (like potions, keys, and coins) so we can continue to help out our friends and spread the love, not the corona
    • This one is much more complicated and has been discussed numerous times - coming up with a way (floo powder, portkey, etc) for us to fortress battle not only from home but also with friends on our list who are in different areas of the world

These are just a few, and are by no means all the suggestions. And some are easier to implement than others. But again, I want to reiterate my appreciation for what the HPWU team has already done to help us continue to Potter on!

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    #403 April, 2020, 07:53 pm.

I wish there was a way to pick what distance you want your portkey to be. That way those that can do 10km have the option but those that can't don't have to pick up those

#503 April, 2020, 07:53 pm.

Yeah, that one like I said is probably the most complicated for developers. Not sure if it’s a possibility.

The piggyback idea on that has always been to be able to fortress with friends who live nowhere near you. How cool would it be if a bunch of us in different parts of the world could all battle together?!

The polls feature is going to be fun, I can tell 😂.

#603 April, 2020, 07:58 pm.

@MrSciGuy now that would be awesome, and solve the SOS group task problem too

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #703 April, 2020, 08:00 pm.

@CBG92 Like what your thinking and suspect @MrSciGuy is correct that may be a very complicated bit of code...

so same branch different leaves...

1. all portkey are temporarily .5km that can be done inside!
    2. temporarily allow us to delete portkeys
    3. 1/2 distance on current inventory portkey
    #803 April, 2020, 08:01 pm.

@CBG92 they tried cutting all portkey distances in half, but something went wrong. They said they’re working on it and hope to issue an update to that soon. Fingers crossed! And yes, “virtual fortressing” would definitely help out those stuck on that last SOS task.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #903 April, 2020, 08:02 pm.

hopefully they can get the bug fixed on #3 soon!

#1003 April, 2020, 08:03 pm.

@Owlx it probably is complicated. I just don't seem to have the best luck and come across 5-10km ones the most😂 I was hoping they would do the half distance for all portkeys not just events

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    #1103 April, 2020, 08:04 pm.

@Owlx thank you for starting this.

The important thing is spawning those around our home. 😬

I burn TTD three times per day, must restrain for any future event and cauldron not just brewing TTD.

Without TTD spawns around home recently is about 4-6 per day (traces + ingredients/Spell Energy).

edited April 3 #1203 April, 2020, 08:38 pm.
    #1303 April, 2020, 10:47 pm.
    #1403 April, 2020, 11:01 pm.

cautiously optimistic after that read

#1503 April, 2020, 11:17 pm.

@MrSciGuy thank you for posting that link. Hoping we see those soon

• MommadoraTonksMommadoraTonks Posts: 22 ✭✭
    #1605 April, 2020, 02:44 am.

I do hope the distance barrier is changed for things like Fortresses, GreenHouses and Inns. I would love to see that if you can see them on your map you can get in them.

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1705 April, 2020, 03:57 pm.

Thank you @Owlx for starting this thread...I meant to but got busy with work. You are a super star!!

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    #1805 April, 2020, 07:58 pm.

Things are a little quiet around here after stage 3 lockdown was introduced last week.

Unfortunately many are disregarding this which will likely cause the lockdown to go to stage 4. One of my local friends was trying to organise a car meet up today for fortressing. I pointed out that isn't covered under the 4 essential reasons to leave the house. We are not permitted to just drive for the sale of it. If caught it's a fine of $1600. Another "friend" from my city has done a ton of walking. Between 65 and 135km a day. I'm hoping that's not humanly possible and they've been cheating!

I get plenty of spawns from home. It's almost 6am and I've returned over 90 Foundables since midnight (without TTD) We are allowed out to exercise so I head to the nearest fortress and smash through some battles. I'm only doing Ruins 1 or 2 with low rune stones to make it fast.

The other direction is a sports centre which has closed. The car park is deserted so I am able to safely get the 4 inns and 3 greenhouses without encountering anyone.

I hope everyone and their families are all safe and well.

• ScottishTeddyScottishTeddy Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #1906 April, 2020, 08:27 pm.

I’d love to be able to have fortresses spawn around in my area. As it stands, I have 2 inns and one greenhouse that I can get if I go out which isn’t often as I have mobility problems. As it is the only places I know that have fortresses is in the nearest town which is roughly 15 miles away. Staying in rural Scotland has really cut down on how many tasks and sos ones I can complete (same issue with gyms in pogo but that’s a separate game)

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2007 April, 2020, 10:45 am.

A view from my apartment.

#2107 April, 2020, 02:08 pm.

Seriously @Lucoire ??? You have both a fortress AND an inn? You are so very lucky! Where do you live?

#2207 April, 2020, 02:10 pm.

This is the view from my home - I live in Texas so there is NOTHING at home for me.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2307 April, 2020, 04:17 pm.

You're lucky @Lucoire! If I had a fortress at home I probably wouldn't have any runestones left.

From my house I can see 2 inns (in a cemetery about a quarter mile and a nice walk away) and a fortress (at the back side of a local park, also about a quarter mile away but totally inaccessible to me because of a stream that runs along the edge of the park).

• SlipstickSlipstick Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #2407 April, 2020, 06:49 pm.

I'm copying over my post from a different thread with some additional screenshots, explanations, and thoughts. I apologize to those who have already read my thoughts once before.

I agree about adding a way to reach things that are necessary for daily achievements. The nearest inn for me is 3 blocks away. The nearest fortress is over 3 MILES away.

Perhaps a potion that you could make to have one of each pop up for a set amount of time (perhaps a half-hour, on par with the brain elixirs and trace detections).

Speaking of trace detection, I either need to walk a block in ANY direction in order to encounter any traces or any ingredients / portmanteaus to pick up for the daily achievements. Perhaps rework the program so players can find SOMETHING without having to risk exposing themselves and their households to this dangerous virus?

Here are a few shots from my area:

Looking towards town. No potions, no traces. You see where the two roads nearly touch to the west? If I'm over there a trace or two will appear. If I travel to the same spot one block north, traces AND ingredients will appear. That inn and greenhouse are the closest and easiest for me to get to (Pennsylvania and their dang hills,) but if this lockdown gets much worse and we aren't allowed out, they might as well be on the moon.

Looking to the southeast, there is an inn there and traces and ingredients appear there. In fact if I travel a block to the east, traces will appear. It's like my house is the one dead spot in the area.

• WonderingWendyWonderingWendy Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #2515 April, 2020, 02:44 pm.

I still have the same problem and I'm Not thrilled about upcoming events. I cannot finish my daily events because there is nothing on the ground. I cannot pick up portkeys because there are no portkeys, I cannot pick up energy because there’s no energy, I cannot pick up items for potions, because there is nothing on the ground. I’m getting so frustrated with this I’m about to stop playing. I’m a level 37 and a level 13 Auror. There is not a place to do a Wizarding challenge within 20 miles. I cannot complete my SOS page because of that and I cannot get together with 3 friends even if 

a tower were closer! I can use 2 tonics to get 10 foundables but they are never anything that I need so I cannot complete pages. The only reason I have energy is because of the gifts and that there are zero foundable out here!

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    #2616 April, 2020, 02:04 am.

Thats happened to me too. But i still could get out every early morning. Lucky me

• SlipstickSlipstick Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited April 17 #2717 April, 2020, 03:22 am.

I still need to travel to get any ingredients or portmanteaus or traces. At least I can make a potion for the traces, but it is getting expensive without the mats. They have added in a fortress for the village, about 10 m down and 5 blocks walking to get to.

Speaking of things that they added in for convenience, I'm not sure if this constitutes a plague yet....

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2917 April, 2020, 03:59 pm.

Well said @WerewolfChaser, thanks for the perspective. If you were eligible to run, you'd have my vote in 2020! :)

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3017 April, 2020, 07:48 pm.

Pity the Brazilians I say. Have you heard their President? I thought Trump was an idiot.

#3117 April, 2020, 11:12 pm.

@WerewolfChaser be safe, be healthy, and be well.

You also have my vote!

Also if in the UK it's the Minstry of Magic

and the US is MASCU

what is it in Australia?