5km Portkeys icons change to 2km Portkey icon

KuuklaMuKuuklaMu Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 24 in Report a Bug #1 latest comment 18 August, 2020, 01:07 pm.

I thought I'd imagined it the other day, but confirmed today! As soon as my 5km Portkeys distances are met,they appear as a boot and dole out rewards (and scene) of the 2km prized portkeys! This is an incredible waste and I am dreading my soon to finally be unlocked 10km portkey - these are so much more difficult to unlock with the quarantine so I'm hoping for a quick fix! Any suggestions?

Post edited by HPWUrobert on
6 votes

Won't Fix · Last Updated

We've confirmed that this is a visual issue only

Comments

• HPWUrobertHPWUrobert Posts: 663 admin
    #220 March, 2020, 06:49 pm.

Hi @KuuklaMu.

tl;dr - I didn't find an issue with your rewards, but it's possible that you're getting the wrong Portkey image.

I looked into your account and can see that the last 2 Portkeys that you unlocked and used were 2km and 5km. The 2km Portkey rewarded the Boggart Cabinet fragment + wrackspurt rewards and 5km rewarded a Foe Glass fragment + wrackspurt rewards. According to our documentation, these are the correct rewards for those Portkey distances.

Addtionally, you currently have 2 Portkeys that are unlocked, but you have yet to open them: (1) 2km and (1) 5km. Are both of these Portkeys showing up as a boot?

• KuuklaMuKuuklaMu Posts: 2 ✭✭
    #322 March, 2020, 01:47 am.

Thanks for looking into this!Yes, they show as boots, BUT, are you able to see how many portkeys were unlocked during the week because 4 of them were 5kms - the 10km did work without issues of any kind, but only 1 of the 5km appeared as it usually does as far as scene once opened, the others were the 2km scene, I apologize I'm unable to recall what or where that is, Hagrid's maybe?

#424 March, 2020, 12:08 am.

@KuuklaMu, yes I can see all (4) 5km Portkeys that you unlocked, including the Brilliant Portkey, 10km Portkey, and numerous 2km Portkeys. Do you have a video where you're opening a 5km Portkey and what scene you see?

• DizzyWizzyDizzyWizzy Posts: 4
    edited March 24 #524 March, 2020, 02:22 am.

This happened to me too, but just now my 10km portkey unlocked and turned into a boot, and I’m so upset!!

When it happened with a 5km portkey I had (last week maybe?), and I thought it was just a UI error and the rewards would still be from a 5km, but it wasn’t! It had really turned into a 2km portkey! When I used it, I was brought to Borgin & Burkes. I just updated the game today before my 10km portkey unlocked.

The 5 km portkey was annoying, but losing my 10km portkey is devestating. Can I get my 10km portkey back??

• DizzyWizzyDizzyWizzy Posts: 4
    #624 March, 2020, 03:56 am.

Just checked, and my 10km is sending me to Honeydukes. Thank goodness!! It was just an error in the graphic but not the content. Whew! Is there a handy list of locations corresponding to type of portkey?

• WashableWashable Posts: 1
    #724 March, 2020, 04:43 pm.

This happen to me too, first time last week with two 5k and second time today with the 10k

Used two Silver key's on two 5k Portmenus and walked the distance.

When the message arrive, the first portmanteau got the correct 5k Tea pot icon but the second got the 2k Boot Icon.

Today the same happen with two 10k Portmanteau, started with Silver key's at the same time.

when distance was done, the first got the 10k deflated ball icon and the second got the 2k Boot Icon.

I hope this is a icon issue only

edited March 24 #824 March, 2020, 05:21 pm.

@DizzyWizzy @Washable thanks for flagging and sharing your experience. I looked at both your accounts and can confirm that you both still have the 10km Portkeys despite their icons showing up as a boot, even the 5km Portkey. Before update 2.10, all unlocked Portkeys appeared as boots so I suspect that the 5km and 10km Portkey icons are somehow getting changed to the default icon. Portkey icons are just overlays and don't affect the possible rewards that are determined with the Portmanteau. Still frustrating to say the least.

• cosk62cosk62 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    #925 March, 2020, 02:38 pm.

This is fairly a common bug. About a third of my 10 km portkeys turn to boots on unlock. They still show as deflated soccer ball when I place them on the ground.

I haven't noticed this bug as often on 5 km portkeys, but it may be because it is just harder to notice. The 5 km portkey turns to boot upon unlocking and remains a boot when you place it.

• AeilurusAeilurus Posts: 1
    #1017 April, 2020, 04:35 am.

I'm currently having this same issue! I recently unlocked a 10k that turned into a 2k (with 2k location and rewards when I opened it) and just today I unlocked a 5k that turned into a boot. I haven't opened it yet but I'm expecting the same problem. Soooo frustrating! Is there any way I can still be granted those rewards?

#1117 April, 2020, 04:37 pm.

@Aeilurus sorry you're still encountering this bug. Here's some info I said previously about Portkey rewards

Before update 2.10, all unlocked Portkeys appeared as boots so I suspect that the 5km and 10km Portkey icons are somehow getting changed to the default icon. Portkey icons are just overlays and don't affect the possible rewards that are determined with the Portmanteau.

• UagadouWeDoUagadouWeDo Posts: 4
    #1212 May, 2020, 10:52 pm.

This has been happening to me sporadically for months. As far as I can tell, the rewards are changed to the lesser variety as well. Just in the past few days, two Precious Portmanteaus turned into boots upon unlocking. One was with a silver key, the other just today with the gold key. Here's a screenshot after it unlocked. I still haven't used it, but I unlocked the other Precious and a Prized since, so I don't know which one it is anymore.

#1312 May, 2020, 11:21 pm.

@UagadouWeDo thanks for flagging. I can confirm only the image overlay changes, and not the rewards. The image is shown locally from the app on your device, and rewards are determined server side.

edited July 24 #1414 July, 2020, 01:57 am.

Paramount Portkey Portmanteaus sometimes turn into boot when unlocked. This is a cosmetic issue - rewards you get from the portkey are Paramount rewards. Nevertheless it's an annoying problem. I like to collect a few Paramount portkeys and open them all on a Baruffio. To do this I need to open boots and kettles I get, but when I open a boot I need to be careful not to open a "Paramount" boot.

I recorded a video of this happening in version 2.13.1 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpelwXSCBSM

Note that this issue was first reported here in March of 2020 - see https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/5448/10km-portkeys-showing-the-boot-instead. That thread has been archived, so I am reporting this bug once again.

I've seen discussions on reddit that said that Paramount Portmanteaus with some specific fragment rewards turn into boots. The one in the video had a Veil fragment, another one I opened today had a Sorting Hat fragment (I recorded that too and can publish it if needed for troubleshooting).

Post edited by HPWUrobert on
    #1514 July, 2020, 01:39 pm.

I was reminded that according to OrangeWizard's infographic Veil and Sorting Hat come from Preciouos portkeys, not from Paramount ones - see https://www.instagram.com/p/B8w2dVHFycC/?igshid=3j8lhy3oba8u

It is likely that these were indeed Precious portmanteaus that turned into boot portkeys and then into a deflated soccer ball when I placed them on the ground. It is also possible that these were indeed Paramaunt portmanteaus, and this is not just a visual bug, but a bug that changes paramount portkey rewards to precious portkey rewards.

#1615 July, 2020, 02:23 am.

It is also possible that these were indeed Paramaunt portmanteaus, and this is not just a visual bug, but a bug that changes paramount portkey rewards to precious portkey rewards.

The Portkey icons are overlays on top of the default icon (boot). They don't affect rewards data, which are determined once Portkey Portmanteaus are picked up. I checked whether the Portkey in question was 10km, it was not. It was a 5km Portmanteau started on July 3rd, unlocked on July 4th (PT), and used on July 9th.

This visual issue was shared previously and marked as won't fix by the team.

#1715 July, 2020, 02:28 pm.

Thanks for the quick response @HPWUrobert. Would it be possible to triage this issue again? As I mentioned in the original post, this bug is a hindrance for the way I optimize Baruffio use, not a purely visual issue.

I suspect the team is busy right now with adding final touches to the new skill trees, but maybe they can look at this bug once the new game mechanics are released.

It would also be helpful to add this to the official "known issues", so players don't keep reporting it.

#1815 July, 2020, 05:32 pm.

I'll move it to known issues.

It's a relatively low visual exception made by the client and it doesn't alter rewards. I'll see if it can get triaged the next time we refresh Portkey rewards.

• DrHaggertyDrHaggerty Posts: 5
    #1923 July, 2020, 12:49 am.

I just had the same issue! My partner did as well. It's showing the Knockturn Alley store.

He just opened his and got a Demiguise.

• DiademWearerDiademWearer Posts: 1
    #2023 July, 2020, 08:24 am.

I’m having the same issue for the past two weeks. The 5k portkey that I unlocked turned into a boot instead of a kettle.

• Kam3ham3haKam3ham3ha Posts: 6 ✭✭
    #2115 August, 2020, 02:23 pm.

This has happened several times. Please fix this issue. It is super annoying to walk that much and get slapped in the face. The color of the boot is even blue like the kettle should be .

#2215 August, 2020, 04:14 pm.

It literally just happened again. So annoying!

#2317 August, 2020, 01:49 pm.
  • Klc5048Klc5048 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    #2417 August, 2020, 02:57 pm.

Are the rewards still at the level of the 5K portkey? I know at one point there was a visual bug where this happened but it did not affect the rewards you received.

• HPWUblueHPWUblue Posts: 751 mod
    edited August 18 #2518 August, 2020, 01:07 pm.

@Kam3ham3ha I've merged your thread with the related discussion for visibility and removed the duplicate posts. You should receive the right rewards even though the Portkey Icon changes. Please read the previous comments for more insights. Thank you.