Note about the Brilliant Event: Brilliant Bogrod the Goblin can be placed by tapping the area under his elbow. The Brilliant Shopping List can be placed by tapping the bottom left corner. Click here for images.
Animagus (and how it could be put in the game) -> discussion — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Animagus (and how it could be put in the game) -> discussion

LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
in General Questions #1 latest comment 07 March, 2020, 04:02 pm.

Animagi are extrordinarily rare - primarily because the process of becoming one is VERY complex, fragile and time-consuming. Animagi are also required to register with the Ministry of Magic and that registry is publicly available.

So, how does one become an Animagus?
  1. A wizard must keep a single mandrake leaf in their mouth for an entire month (from full moon to full moon). It must not be taken out or swallowed - if that happens, the wizard must start over.
  2. At the next VISIBLE full moon (if the night happens to be cloudy, the wizard must start over) the wizard must spit the leaf in a phial within range of the moon's pure rays.
  3. To the moon-struck phial, the wizard must add
    1. one of their own hairs,
    2. a silver teaspoon of dew that has not seen sunlight or been touched by human feet for seven days
    3. the crysalis of a Death's-head Hawk Moth
  4. The mixture must be put in a quiet, dark place and cannot be in any way disturbed
  5. Following that, the wizard must wait for an electrical storm. During the waiting period the wizard must, at EACH sunrise and sundown WITHOUT FAIL, chant the incantation "Amato Animo Animato Animagus" with the tip of their wand placed over their heart.
  6. When there is a lightning storm, the wizard must
    1. move immediately to a large and secure place,
    2. recite the Incantation one final time and
    3. then drink the potion

If any of those things are forgotten or go wrong, the wizard must start over. If they don't they risk to permanently be disfigured and/or turned into a half-human half-animal mutation (or other horrible things beyond your imagination)

How it can be applied to the game

Things that make it possible

• The game tracks the Moon-Cycle
  • The game tracks weather (cloudy, thunderstorm, etc)
  • The game tracks daytime (dusk, dawn)

Things that are needed:

• The whole "keep a mandrake leaf in their mouth" for AN ENTIRE MONTH. That makes eating and drinking difficult, sleeping requires focus and even spell-incantations might require even more focus than they normally do.
  • The "silver tea spoon of dew" thing.
  • The Deaths's-head Hawk Moth - but I think that could be provided by the vault.
  • Keeping the Potion in a quiet dark place, the game doesn't track that.
  • Casting Spells (like "Amato Animo Animato Animagus") at yourself.
  • The whole "Registration with the Ministry of Magic"

Things to keep in mind regarding your animagus
  • The Ability to transform - once aquired - can be performed at will. It doesn't require a wand or an incantation as it is an Ability rather than a "Transfiguration".
  • The Animal the Wizard turns into isn't chosen but pre-determined. Quite like the Patronus, the Appearance is tied to the personality of the wizard - the Animagus-Appearance might even be bound to the Patronus-Form. As such it would be safe to assume that the Animagus-Form isn't suited for combat.
  • There is a counter-spell that allows others to force Animagi out of their Spellchanged form (has been used by Sirius Black against Peter Petigrew in the Shrieking Shack)
  • Animagi can communicate with normal animals. There seems to be a clear understanding of "want" and "need" but the extend is unknown.
  • Animagi aren't bound to the life-expectancy of their animal form, they retain the "natural" life-expectancy of a human.
  • The emotional range of Animagi is reduced - therefore the Influence of a Dementor is weaker on an Animagus in their animal form.

As you can see, most of those are quite irrelevant in the context of the game.

So, what do you think?

Would you want to become an Animagus even if it was a long and difficult quest that required LOTS of perseverance and diligence?

What "benefits" do you think would be appropriate in HPWU?

What do you think how the process from the Source-Material could be adapted to HPWU?

Comments

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #205 March, 2020, 10:28 pm.

I think you are very clever for thinking this out and applaud you for doing so

Seriously, WU needs more input like this

In the mean time, as I haven’t read the books or seen the films, I’m focussing my efforts on developing a D&D 1e / 2e campaign. It has been a while since I last played, 30 years in fact...

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #306 March, 2020, 03:25 am.

this sort of ideas are great for role-playing games like D&D. but for an app like HWPU that already has too many complications to deal with and cannot get right? sadly, no.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #506 March, 2020, 08:33 am.

I was originally going to ask what the benefits of being an animagus would be in terms of gameplay, but saw that you asked us that question.

I am actually not sure how it could tie into the game. Unless it allowed us to detect some types of foundable, then we would change back once engaging with the trace. My only thought is that we now have TTD for this purpose.

I think the trick is to think about the benefits of the animagus form in the series and see how that can be applied. The main benefits seen in the series are avoiding detection, observation or accessing smaller spaces. This could make an animagus form quite useful in a battle scenario, potentially, as it could increase defence?

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    #606 March, 2020, 09:41 am.

Or include in next lesson for magizoo?😗

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #706 March, 2020, 11:58 am.

Or include in next lesson for magizoo?😗

That was my original Idea, Magizoologists being animal handlers and Animagi being Animal Magicians.

But the Source Material doesn't support that:

• Hagrid - the Magizoologist-Posterboy - isn't an Animagus
    • Minerva McGonnagal - a registered Animagus - is Professor
    • The "unregistered" Animagi that we know of - Rita Skeeter, James Potter, etc - are all over the place.

So I've concluded that being an Animagus is not tied to or restricted by the Profession.

AND turning it into a "Talent" or "Lesson" is breaking immersion in regards to the extreme complexity of the process.

This could make an animagus form quite useful in a battle scenario, potentially, as it could increase defence?

Yes and No. If you're talking about dodging / avoidance then I'd agree. But since spellcasting in the Animal form isn't possible, the protego-spell would also be gone. And the offensive potential of the animal form is irrelevant compared to the spellcasting human form.

edited March 6 #806 March, 2020, 12:07 pm.

nice, guess there’s a jag owner somewhere who is begging for approval ... ok, congratulations, you made it. go thrive.

edited March 6 #1006 March, 2020, 12:17 pm.

so, luc, you can put down other folks’ ideas yet your pie-in-the-sky ideas are beyond reproach?

hmmmm ... indeed, that is a beam in thine eye

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1306 March, 2020, 03:46 pm.

So if we looked at the game in longer term focus, perhaps it might be better considered as a possible goal or split element??

Familiars are the first step, prove you can be "true" or loyal to your familiar and it opens a certain path or set of events that only Familiars and their wizards have access to say starting at lvl 60. Maybe it opens another storyline like James' telling of Remus becoming a werewolf and how his friends gathered around him?

Second step maybe is patronus? This opens up fortress levels for dueling dementors and a DE (or Dolores umbrage) at the same time. Let's go with profession lvl 25 or 30.

Third step becomes animagus around lvl 80 - 90? This gives you.... What.... The opportunity to interact with other wizards in-app? Or the ability to follow/ finish the Remus story? Or follow Rita Skeeter and expose her? Go under cover and expose unregistered animagus?

What if at level 70 or so they opened up more of a choose your own adventure style? Continue on grims path, or follow Sirius, infiltrate the giants, etc... I'm m spitballing to try and incorporate animagus into the game.

I like the idea, but there would need to be a balance of some other options for those that don't pick that path. Say some follow the path of the alchemist and Fleming. That increases potion options? Or becoming a potioneer and increases stock and opens new potion types (focus and luck). Following Neville you focus on ingredients growth times, water plants, fire plants, and engage in the ability to interact with merpeople and salamanders?

I'm not awake enough to make strong suggestions.

#1406 March, 2020, 04:06 pm.

@Bormacska Those are excellent suggestions for integrating it into the story, thank you so much.

Maybe at a later point one could specialize on an aspect of magic like

• Transfiguration (The Minerva McGonnagal route, which opens up Animagi)
    • Charms (The Filius Flitwick Route, opening up more effective confoundable-dispelling)
    • Potions (the Severus Snape / Horace Slughorn Route, unlocking more potion brewing options)
    • Defence Against the Dark Arts (The MadEye-Moody Route, more attack-spells and defence?)
    • Herbology (the Neville Longbottom Route, unlocking more planting options / more effective harvesting)
    • Divination (The Sybill Trelawney Route, better preparations: buffs, focus)
    • Ancient Runes (better options for setting up a fight and/or disabling an already set trap)
    • Care of Magical Creatures (The Hagrid/Scamander Route, which might allow Wizards to have a "real beast" as a combating partner)

#1507 March, 2020, 01:44 am.

@Lucoire Where did you find the steps for animagus transfiguration? Is that in one of the books and I just missed it? It's incredibly detailed!

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1607 March, 2020, 05:39 am.

Love the amazing thought behind these ideas @Lucoire and personally like the animangus idea being something related to magizoos. So thank you for the detail. I certainly appreciate it and your positivity.

@OriginalCaruso unfortunately you bring up a point I have been extremely concerned about lately where it seems we have lost quite a large amount of our veteran regular posters. Now I don’t know if that is a situation where they have gone over To other forums like Discord as the timeliness of information here is lacking and it seems like there is much more information and community engagement there and other places like reddit or even Facebook. It appears this forum is almost becoming an after thought for your core seasoned players with that being said the newer players are constantly coming here for advice so it looks like without some of our amazing veteran frequent players it is leaving a blaring whole in the content of this forum and quite honestly has bored me lately. There are certain people that I will always read their concepts and ideas.

• OriginalCarusoOriginalCaruso Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1707 March, 2020, 08:04 am.

@ClairabusGryff - Unfortunately this forum has lost the sparkle it once had. If moderators had enforced the core principles we all signed up to then we would still have a chance of community here. @hpwulola - please either implement an ignore button OR moderate to remove toxic poster(s) as this forum is not thriving and cannot do so without action

Its not about popularity - some other media don’t score posts yet have a more vibrant community than here. Quality over quantity, Content matters and if we are using the number of stars as a measure of status, we should also look at the number of posts too - arguably the scoring system favours frequent but pointless posts

@Lucoire - I’m sorry to have derailed this thread, I always enjoy reading your posts and it is a shame to read the same poorly thought out responses from the same member. We need more input like yours!

#1807 March, 2020, 08:07 am.

@ClairabusGryff exactly 👆👆 all of what you just said! I believe some moved over to discord to be able to chat with direct messages as well and not have to deal with personality clashes.

#1907 March, 2020, 01:06 pm.

@Lucoire Where did you find the steps for animagus transfiguration? Is that in one of the books and I just missed it? It's incredibly detailed!

I used this article which itself cites the Book "Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Gangerous Hobbies" (written by J.K. Rowling)

#2007 March, 2020, 02:07 pm.

@Bormacska

"Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies" is a book by JK Rowling written in 2016 containing 4 Chapters in total.

• Chapter 1 is about Minerva McGonagall and Animagi (describing in detail how she became one under the guidance of Dumbledore)
    • Chapter 2 is about Remus Lupin and Werewolves
    • Chapter 3 is about Sybill Trelawney and Naming Seers (Seers who use divination to suggest a appropriate name for a child - "nomen est omen")
    • Chapter 4 is about Silvanus Kettleburn (Professor for Care of Magical Creatures before Hagrid took over)
  • ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2107 March, 2020, 02:19 pm.

I don’t know the answer to “save” this forum @Bormacska and @OriginalCaruso but I think it’s too late. Which makes me sad. I have become very bored with the game and the saving grace was this forum. Certain veterans posts kept me coming back daily but they have mostly checked out. Now there are still certain people who are active here that I adore but I would say me personal favorite posters roughly about 50% of them are gone over to discord. So I may move over there too. So I really hope something changes QUICKLY ON THIS FORUM since the new players all come here with questions.

And I apologize @Lucoire for going left on your thread but I think based on what has occurred on your thread it is a prefect example of the breakdown in this community. I will continue to come here for your amazing ideas and to support you and other veteran posters.

#2207 March, 2020, 02:25 pm.

@ClairabusGryff "Hope is lost as soon as we believe it is."

• xxxlindyxxxlindy Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    #2307 March, 2020, 02:27 pm.

Thank you for this series of posts. I thought I was obsessed with HPWU.

I love the idea of becoming an Animagus. I've always wondered why Harry et al didn't. In game powers wouldn't need to be awesome, just the challenge would be enough, with a page to brag on.

I hope the game writers put as much thought into the new quests as you have. More thought than when they put in "Symbols of the wizarding world" with thousands of collectible indistinguishable frisbees.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2407 March, 2020, 03:16 pm.

@Lucoire I like your thought about specializations. At one point as we were all progressing through lessons people had different strengths and weaknesses based on which lessons they pursued first. Now that many are completing their lesson plan, we're all the same. You could have me or a different professor in your fortress group, it won't make any difference.

On the other hand, if I have one specialty and another professor has a different specialty, then it may make a difference which of us is in your party. And further, depending on how each specialization works there could be some strategy to which combination of wizards is most effective based not just on their professions but also their specializations.

With all that in mind, I'd suggest adding the animagus as a possible choice of specialization.

• Dewin99Dewin99 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2507 March, 2020, 04:02 pm.

@Lucoire & @Bormacska I really like your ideas (posts #14 & #15 especially), I’d love to see something like this implemented in the game.

I’d gladly trade my mountain of scrolls and red books to open the Animagus route (no prizes for guessing which animal I’d transform into!).

Thinking about it, I’d even have a go at keeping a mandrake leaf in my mouth for a month!