erumpent horn pricing is too high

kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 24 May, 2020, 03:21 pm.

a TTD costs 60 gold in diagon alley

if you are trying to brew a TTD in your cauldron and have all the ingredients other than 2 erumpent horn units, it still costs you the same 60 gold pieces for those missing 2 erumpent horn units.

so why ever would anyone use up their own other ingredients and wait 7 hours (a wee bit less with master notes) and still have to pay 60 gold pieces for brewing their own TTD? in a rational world, they wouldn’t.

for the pricing to work, either the diagon alley price of a TTD is too low (though i think it already is too high as well) or the price of an erumpent horn unit (at 30 gold each) is too high.

@hpwulola if you could relay this feedback to whoever is in charge of pricing within the game, that would be great.

Comments

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #201 March, 2020, 03:55 am.

@kiheikid I am absolutely in agreement, especially given how ineffective TTD is outside of events. I was really excited when this potion was first released - a sort of personal dark detector, but it has proven to be expensive in time and resources and very little use. Originally, it had the description that it unveiled more as you walked, but now we know that it is not true and reveals x traces, even if you are sat still. And overwhelmingly low level ones.

Also, totally unrelated sidenote, but should I take it personally that your missus sent me an ingredient gift today, given your rant about them yesterday? :P

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #301 March, 2020, 07:50 am.

@Magpie31 - oh dear, i had not told da missus about my rant ... until now (lol). OUR most sincere apologies 🤣

#401 March, 2020, 08:08 am.

@kiheikid It's okay, I really don't mind! I live in a PoI rich area and have a very small friend list, so although ingredient gifts are a bit blah, they don't cause me the irritation they cause some people! My gifts are a little sporadic at the moment - I have broken my other foot now so am hobbling again.

#501 March, 2020, 08:22 am.

@Magpie31 ... i hope you mend fully and swiftly!

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1 #601 March, 2020, 09:11 am.

If you could make a choice, how would you solve it?

1. Change price of Tonic of Trace Detection?

2. Change the price of Erumpent Horns?

(and to which gold value would you change it based on the other prices in the game so far?)

#701 March, 2020, 09:18 am.

@Lucoire Great question. Personally, I would bring the cost of an erumpent horn down to 15 gold each, so it is 30 gold to brew the potion (in line with the 30 for a unicorn hair). I still think this is high, given the limited value of the tonic, and think that it should spawn better traces or should be stackable, similar to dark detectors, so that it reveals higher threat traces.

#801 March, 2020, 09:53 am.

cost of TTD in Diagon Alley = 60 = 6A + 4B + 4C + 2D + Y

where A is price of 1 unit of baneberry, B is price of 1 unit of bulbadox juice, C is price of 1 unit of angel trumpet, and D is price of 1 unit of erumpent horn, and Y is price premium ascribed to saving 7 hours (or a bit less, if master notes are used) of brew time if TTD is purchased in Diagon Alley

so D = target price of 1 unit of erumpent horn

= 1/2 x (60 - 6A - 4B - 4C - Y)

i have not been paying close attention to costs of 6A and 4B and 4C when brewing a TTD with missing ingredients, so if anyone can share those values in this thread, that would be great

Y is an important but subjective component yet to be settled on.

edited March 1 #901 March, 2020, 10:17 am.

1 Baneberry = 3g (6=18g)

1 bulbadox juice = 3g (4=12g)

1 Angels Trumpet = 3g (4=12g)

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    #1001 March, 2020, 08:56 pm.

7 hours is 420 min.

*0.85 after master notes is 357.

So the brewing cost is 36. The other ingredients are common.

For quantity one, the brew cost (36) plus the cost of the horns should come to slightly more than the cost in the alley.

If 60 is the right price for the alley to sell at (I won't make any judgement about that), then the 2 horns should be 30-35, as that puts the quantity 1 self production at 66-71.

At 34 for 2 horns, or 14 each, the self production cost is 70, and the alley's price of 60 makes sense.

#1101 March, 2020, 10:34 pm.

If I follow @kiheikid's computational logic and @Magpie31's suggestion regarding the "new" price for Erumpent Horns, aswell as @Keybounce's idea for brewing cost computation

• Ingredient cost = 18g + 12g + 12g + 30g = 72g
    • Brewing cost = 36g

is 108g.

So the change would be:

1. Changing the Price of Erumpent Horns to 15g per piece
    2. Changing the Price of TTD to between 80-100g (making it slightly cheaper than the "self-brewed, gold-finished" but more expensive than the "self-brewed" one)

Does that sound about right?

edited March 1 #1201 March, 2020, 11:16 pm.

ha, at those prices, hardly anyone will want to buy either TTD outright or missing TTD ingredients unless they are desperate ... especially given the mundane yield results of using a TTD

since fewer folks value time properly (and it is still subjective), the better approach for now is to not fully price brew time at 1 gold per 10 minutes, but rather keep TTD price in Diagon Alley at 60 gold, price all other ingredients at 42 and price erumpent horn at 2 units for 18 gold less the brew time savings premium.

for example, if 2 units of erumpent horn cost 12 gold (making it on par with leaping toadstool), then that leaves a brew time savings premium of 6 gold. the brew time savings has a value greater than zero but way less than 1 gold per ten minutes.

#1302 March, 2020, 02:26 am.
    #1402 March, 2020, 02:41 am.

Not quite what I said.

aswell as @Keybounce's idea for brewing cost computation

• Ingredient cost = 18g + 12g + 12g + 30g = 72g
    • Brewing cost = 36g

is 108g.

So the change would be:

1. Changing the Price of Erumpent Horns to 15g per piece
    2. Changing the Price of TTD to between 80-100g (making it slightly cheaper than the "self-brewed, gold-finished" but more expensive than the "self-brewed" one)

For quantity one, the only "brewing cost" that matters is time and horn. The rest can be picked up off the ground / in greenhouses for free.

For quantity 1000, like a store/shop, there will be a staff of brewers, discounted supply in quantity from farms, etc. And the horns will be obtained for less -- they sell them to us at 14 or 15, maybe they get them for 8?

If the horns are 15 each, then one potion has ingredient cost of 30, time cost of 36, total 66, compared to the alley's 60.

And my math in my above post was wrong (14 + 14 = 34? How did I manage that?).

#1502 March, 2020, 09:07 am.

just idiotic that diagon alley has priced the 2 units of erumpent horn at 60 gold and all the non-erumpent ingredients collectively at 42 gold total

#1602 March, 2020, 11:27 am.

Not quite what I said.

@Keybounce I am well aware. But as I wrote earlier, I followed @kiheikid's assumption that the "common" ingredients aren't worthless and therefore should be part of the price-computation.

#1703 March, 2020, 01:55 am.

Potent (unicorn hair), Dwaddle (shell), Brain, (dragon claw), all have a "portkey-only" ingredient, and need 30 gold of special ingredients to brew.

Trace detection uses horns, which are available (rare, but available) outside of portkeys. It is arguably less valuable than the other 3 (certainly not more valuable?), so there's a good argument that the two horns should cost 24-28, not 30. Certainly not 60.

Basically, I think the horns should have a cost of 12-14 each, not 15 each.

The only way to justify the current price is if horns are on the rare side even in portkeys. Can anyone that has played significantly more than me comment on how frequent horns show up in portkeys compared to hair, claws, and shells?

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1803 March, 2020, 12:49 pm.

@Keybounce when they were first introduced, horns were stunningly rare. Seeing one on the ground was more exciting than finding a niffler. And although they were available in portkeys, they were very rare there as well. After some time (and probably due to a lot of community feedback) horns started to appear more frequently. The pricing was set at 15 per horn when they were super rare, so it didn't seem out of line at the time. Now, as you've pointed out, that price seems too high.

#1903 March, 2020, 01:34 pm.

@MtPollux is right. Except that it is 30 per horn. I still thought that was excessive, even when they were rare. Now I have over 30 in my vault and barely brew tonics. Not worth the time.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2003 March, 2020, 05:02 pm.

Oops, thanks for catching my mistake @Magpie31.

#2114 March, 2020, 11:06 pm.

love all the free erumpent horns on the map now

#2215 March, 2020, 06:12 pm.

Bought a vault extension. All that length of horns ...

• HuntHunt Posts: 18 ✭✭
    #2321 May, 2020, 05:50 pm.

Noticed this today when trying to brew TTDs. Of course, when you need horns, none are spawning... 🙄

#2421 May, 2020, 09:44 pm.

Which should I spend gold on??

• KodokmagKodokmag Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    #2521 May, 2020, 11:54 pm.

@Hunt you will get tons or erumpent horn from this may brilliant event portkey

#2624 May, 2020, 03:21 pm.

@Kodokmag You would think... I ended up finding some when I went out shopping.