We’re currently investigating issues with the SOS Report appearing blank, Adventure Sync not working (Android), and in-app purchasing (iOS.) We will provide updates when we have further details.
Useless? Wit sharpening and healing potions. — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Useless? Wit sharpening and healing potions.

KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
in Potions #1 latest comment 13 March, 2020, 12:45 am.

I'm trying to understand the value of two potions that seem to be useless in most cases.

A healing potion restores one third of your health; three of them is equivalent to a dirt nap. The benefit of using three healing potions is being able to get in 3-4 extra attacks, approximately, for 6 hours of brewing, or between one and a half to 2 hours of value per attack.

Wit sharpening has a value of +50%. This is the same as the normal exstimulo potion, but at higher brew time and fewer opponents. You would rather use a strong potion instead of a normal plus wit, and even a potent is better than a strong plus wit.

This means the only time to use the wit sharpening potion is when you want to use it with the potent exstimulo potion. This gives you +50% for three casts, or one and a half casts worth of power (or about 2-3 brewing hours worth). Two of them will give you three attacks worth, 5-6 hours of healing potion brewing or one 30-45 second timeout.

This means an 8-hour potent potion, plus two 4-hour potions, for a total of 16 hours worth of brew time, when the alternative would be either extra healing potions, or extra time in a dirt nap.

Simply put: I can see no reason to do this under normal circumstances. The only time that I can see this making any sense is if you are in a wizarding challenge chamber significant higher than you can normally handle, or if you are under serious time pressure.

For the community day, I had to do exactly this -- potents, wit sharpening, and healing potions -- for exactly that reason (critical time pressure to complete chambers above my normal ability). (*)

Other than the three-hour community day challenges (or the upcoming lost love part 2 challenges), is there any reason at all to use wit sharpening, or rely on healing in a wizard challenge? It seems to be by definition an indication that you are in a challenge that is higher than you can handle, and when I use the challenge simulator I find that I get better experience per hour as well as better experience per energy in lower-level challenge rooms.

(*): Yes, I am (now) aware that I could have spammed chamber 1 at 50% drop rate for faster and cheaper eggs. Had I know then, my eggs would be ready for silver.

Comments

• ZookiTabookiZookiTabooki Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #225 February, 2020, 03:42 am.

I would think that healing potions are invaluable to Aurors considering their poor tank. The short 2hr brew time only adds weight to this argument. Whereas Professors have a much stronger tank, I rely on invigorating potions to activate skills that will increase power and they take longer to brew. As for Wit-Sharpening, I find it difficult to see just how useful these potions really are. I can't say I notice any discernible difference when I use them. I often forget to use Wit-Sharpening potions at all, driving my point home.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #325 February, 2020, 07:54 am.

yup, wit-sharpening potions actually meant something back before the potent exstimulo and strong exstimulo were buffed to current boost levels. now, the wit-sharpening is only good for stacking / combining with potent or strong against elite foes in those very high chambers (and you will be glad to have them then).

• PunkyfinsPunkyfins Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    #425 February, 2020, 10:29 am.

Agreed. Their use is that they stack. So in a (very) high chamber, you can make a dent in that one impossible foe. Healing potions are - for me - just a time-saver. If I don't want to stand around and wait while my fledgling Auror takes knockout after knockout I'll use them. I almost never use them for my professor though... However, I heartily agree that for each one of my professions the estimulos are indispensable.

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    #525 February, 2020, 02:50 pm.

"Simply put: I can see no reason to do this under normal circumstances. The only time that I can see this making any sense is if you are in a wizarding challenge chamber significant higher than you can normally handle, or if you are under serious time pressure."

@Keybounce I think you pretty much nailed it there; I always have 3 wit sharpeners plus the usual 'potents in stock, but only use them if we attempt a Dark chamber (we're two away from the last one) and always use them then against Elites to save time, they're basically two exstimulo's simultaneously.

Chambers 'of your level' that you just do because of the rewards don't warrant any potions, at most a healing or strong ex when time's creeping up on you.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #625 February, 2020, 03:34 pm.

Depends what you class as "at your level". Being a Level 14 professor who plays solo, I definitely need those healing and wit sharpening potions in dark chambers! I completely miscalculated the other day when using a L5 runestone in Dark 3, with a bad roll of the dice... I didn't use potions on a couple of werewolves and ended up about 10 seconds short.

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 #726 February, 2020, 03:05 am.

I would think that healing potions are invaluable to Aurors considering their poor tank.

But they have the best offense, as I understand it.

So, they take fewer shots to win. If they need four less shots because of the higher damage, they can afford a dirt timeout and be even.

Depends what you class as "at your level".

If it's red, it's too hard / takes too many potions, even if it's doable.

Roughly half of the highest white level seems to be the best experience per time, at least for the testing I've done against the challenge simulator for my professor, from level 7 to 8.

• MtPolluxMtPollux Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #826 February, 2020, 04:11 am.

So in your estimation wit sharpening and healing potions are useless because you never need them.

On the other hand, you also don't do the higher fortress levels because **they use too many potions**.

Perhaps, for those who choose to venture into the higher levels, these potions are not useless because they give the extra edge that one needs to pull off a win against more challenging odds.

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    #927 February, 2020, 07:14 am.

If I need to spend 15-20 hours worth of potions, that is not a repeatable event.

If I am taking twice as long to earn 15% more rewards, that is inefficient.

The number one limit on my ability to progress in challenges is real life time.

My understanding is that the number one function of challenges is to be a source of red books, which is gated by challenge experience per hour; being on a very difficult room, just to push your high zone challenge ever, is counter productive.

(It's not like it's cool to go higher, after all. 😀. And yea, this line will just "limp" past most of you.)

If I have the time for 6 challenges a day, and I need to spend more than 24 hours worth of potions for those 6, then I'm almost certainly in chambers too high.

• SkaanaSkaana Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    #1013 March, 2020, 12:45 am.

I avoided healing potions for quite awhile in challenges. it was easier to be knocked out, be revived at FULL strength, and use the remaining time to knock out the last one or two enemies.( And just dump all those dumb ingredients as soon as you picked them up.)

But not anymore... I use Healing potions for there Forest III and up rooms. Because the event timer is ruthless...

As for wit sharpening, it is VALUABLE as heck against Elite foes... plus there is an Achievement to win in using them.

FWIW, Im a lvl 14 Auror, Wizard rank 40.

To get your daily ration of 2 red books at this level, you must use some potions, AND battle in rooms above your ability.

I haven't cracked the Forest V yet... 3 losses from running out of time.

Its tough to knock out 141 Acromantula, or the Elite Dangerous Pixie