My problem with this Community day

LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
in Community Day #1 latest comment 25 February, 2020, 02:23 pm.

I want to start of by saying that these are problems I faced during this CD and not an attack on the event or anything. Also, I’m only speaking for myself as any of these could have been a bug.

• The landmark flags weren’t turned off. Weren’t we told that the family landmarks would be switched off to make it easy for community day? Given that large areas where we could conveniently walk around and get enough spawns for CD are all flagged, this had come as a welcome change. I played in this same location last community day and the flags weren’t there for the 3 hour window, popping back up at 2, letting us know that the event was over. However, today that wasn’t the case. The flags stayed on and perhaps because of that, there were a lot more other family foundables than the oddities we were looking for. I would say a ratio of 5:1. So, there were definitely oddities about, but I can’t help but feel that if the flags had truly been off, I’d have gotten more. Furthermore, even the Tonic for trace detection gave a lot more other family foundables too.

• The tonic trace ingredients didn’t appear on the map as was informed. There were a lot more armadillo bile and bubotuber pus than tonic ingredients. I only got one Erumpent horn and one baneberry during the whole of the event (actually for a while now) that I was not able to make use of the reduced brew time to keep up with the reduced potion time.
  • The most confusing and inconvenient of all, the CD special assignments tab didn’t become active until exactly 12, a whole hour after the event started. I had already collected many oddities and used 4 tonic, but none of them counted towards the task. It was so infuriating. The usual group of people I play with have unfortunately been scattered across various cities this weekend, but when we texted later, all but one agreed that they faced similar issues. (The one person wasn’t sure because he said that they were there when he opened the app, but he only opened the app past 12 because he had been driving until then. ) Fortunately I was able to finish the necessary tasks, but I’m prone to panic and this certainly caused a great deal of panic. The oddities started spawning at 11, the complimentary gift appeared at 11, but the special assignments tasks didn’t appear despite restarting the app.

There is probably more that I had thought of during that time, but I’m still tired and drained from today’s adventures to think clearly.

PS: 2km portkeys for a 3 hour event? Come on, my guys!

PPS: something that I’m not actually complaining about, but was definitely weird. A couple of minutes before the event started, I clicked on a Hogwarts school foundable only for it to turn out to be a doxy. I was like whaaat.

Anyway, how did everyone else go this CD?

Comments

• SpondeeSpondee Posts: 52 ✭✭
    #223 February, 2020, 08:04 pm.

The CD task list hadn't come up 20 minutes into the event, so I exited out and it came up when I logged back in. I was able to finish the task list with minutes to spare, but I was still a few Doxies short of prestiging the page (I guess I'll be getting up super-early to try to do that tomorrow?).

I also didn't see many Trace ingredients, and it was disappointing to do a Trace only to have non-Oddities spawn, too.

I like the idea of community day, but it seems like a lot to squeeze into a 3 hour period where things may or may not roll out as expected.

• HallanenHallanen Posts: 48 ✭✭
    #323 February, 2020, 08:20 pm.

Definitely agree on the lack of tonic trace ingredients on the map. In 3 hours I only managed to find bulbadox juice and baneberry once each,didn't even see the other ingredients needed. Luckily I had some saved up.

• CBG92CBG92 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    #423 February, 2020, 08:52 pm.

it popped up for my mom just after 11 but she had to restart too. I thought other ingredients were to be turned off. I still picked up bulbadox at greenhouses as promise and erumpent horns but there were bubotuber all over the place too. I was able to complete the tasks easy enough this time though. My one complaint was that there was hardly any spell energy on the map this time. I was nearly out by the time I finished, and I was only able to pick up three special portkeys so I'm only going to have 7/10

• coyotewoman42coyotewoman42 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    #523 February, 2020, 08:56 pm.

Task did not show until a half hour before the end. No port keys, trace ingredients, tons of oddities. That did not count until the last half hour when the task list finally showed up and the oddities vanished! Despite restarting . Sadly a total waste of resources even with the gifts. Especially for members that work on weekends

• AnselGreyAnselGrey Posts: 10 ✭✭
    #623 February, 2020, 08:56 pm.

At the start, I really enjoyed the event. Was way less stressful than the previous(which was my 1st). The tasks in my area were completed easily. However, after I completed it I went to try and get all the eggs needed to prestige the page. Had gotten a few egg fragments while doing challenges during event. Didn’t get anymore and got frustrated and incorrectly associated me “completing” the event tasks and the stop of the egg fragments being dropped at the fortress. Welp, found out after got home that I made the mistake of Tower versus Chamber. So wanted to prestige that page and continue gathering doxies and such. Sigh!! Face Palm!

• RhaidonRhaidon Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #723 February, 2020, 09:41 pm.

Special tasks didn’t show for us until 20 minutes before the event ended so had zero chance of completing anything!

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #924 February, 2020, 12:46 am.

i had 3 erumpent horn units before CD started. the free gift pack included another 2 erumpent horn units. so i put 2 TTDs on to brew (each requiring 2 erumpent horn units).

i fully expected being able to pick up at least 1 more erumpent horn unit off the map during CD but no luck ... in fact, during all of CD, i only saw and picked up 6 baneberry (3x2), 5 angel trumpet (5x1), and 5 bulbadox (5x1), but no erumpent horn whatsoever. yes, i could have paid 30 gold pieces for the missing 1 erumpent horn unit, but refuse to do so on principle ... really hope the erumpent horn scarcity (all week long preceding CD as well as during CD) was not intentionally created by niantic / hpwu to facilitate cash grab at 30 gold coins per erumpent horn unit!! (but that’s what it LOOKS, SMELLS, & QUACKS like) 👎🏻

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1024 February, 2020, 02:43 am.

Yeah, lack of TTD ingredients was ridiculous. Only one angel trumpet found during 3 hours. Nothing else. Couldn’t brew at all.

• JulmuriJulmuri Posts: 3 ✭✭
    #1124 February, 2020, 05:27 am.

Same here with the tasklist popping up within last 20 minutes. I was able to do it in that time and claimed prizes on last minute just to find out that I received nothing because of lag in game. Support told they can't do nothing about it. Thanks for nothing.

Another disappointment with Niantic but everyone has used to it by now anyway. Failed events, less than average support, you nailed it.

• LeFayeofAlbionLeFayeofAlbion Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24 #1224 February, 2020, 10:19 am.

@WerewolfChaser there have been special assignments for the last few CDs. (The last one had the triwizard cup as rewards for 3 tasks? The last fortress based CD also had special assignments to do certain chambers) Which is why I kept checking for them and restarting the app to see if they popped up.

I get you on loving oddities! Same here! But oh boy summer came sooner than expected and walking around for 3 hours in the heat drained everything from me. I wanted to do the Ingress event after WU CD was over. I tried. But then I was like. Nope. Uber. Home. Sleep.

Fun to see the serpents. I never see them otherwise.

• ScarlettPotionsScarlettPotions Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited February 24 #1324 February, 2020, 01:34 pm.

I just think that 3 hours is hardly a “day”. Some of us miss the entire event because of other commitments.

If the short time period is supposed to get more people playing at the same time why don’t the events center around fortresses. I never have a group to fight with in them and maybe this strategy would change that.

• DanceDadThrashrDanceDadThrashr Posts: 1
    #1424 February, 2020, 08:53 pm.

I completely forgot about the Special Assignments, so I didn't remember to look for them or restart the app. Needless to say I they never appeared. I saw quite a few of the TFTD ingredients where I was but was not near a greenhouse so don't know about their appearances there.

Like others I also think the Community Day title is a bit of a misnomer, as so few people can get to them every month. Perhaps if there was a large window of time to start it, and it was timed after you start it. Or give multiple times to do it.

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭
    #1525 February, 2020, 12:30 am.

@LeFayeofAlbion what can I say? I'm old and forgetful but more importantly I was in oddity heaven. I managed about 90 doxys.

• EowynRioEowynRio Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    #1625 February, 2020, 10:49 am.

Same here...

The task list only appeared about one hour after the event started. I was able to complete all the tasks though. However, for some reason I believed that, since the task list only came up later, CD would be active (and the list of completed tasks) for a while longer. It obviously wasn't.

I completed all the tasks but in my "doxy frenzy" I waited a minute too long to actually collect the prizes. So I lost all of them...

I was happy to have collected that many Doxies though. It was worth it, but I was frustrated at myself for not collecting the prizes. One minute too late at the most and all were gone despite the fact that the list of tasks only came up late. I blame that one solely on myself.

As for ingredients, I only got 1 horn. Quite disappointing. And the brewing time for the Tonic did not drop to 30mins for me, but to 1 hour. Still useful, but different than what was announced. On the other hand, I wouldn't have been able to brew any extra Tonics anyway for lack of horns.

Glad to have gained a lot of Doxies, XP and Oddities runes. But a little frustrated with the task list glitch and for having lost all the collected items rewards...

#1725 February, 2020, 12:34 pm.

@EowynRio the task list should linger a bit after the CD is complete. I’ll post it as a suggestion.

#1825 February, 2020, 12:42 pm.

@WerewolfChaser apparently I’m forgetful too. The triwizard cup reward was for the book night event. The last CD had Knight bus fragments as rewards. But I do wonder though, I had already placed the triwizard cup, but had not been able to prestige the page, so did the extra Triwizard cup ‘rewards’ even amount to anything. I don’t recall there being a max fragment bonus XP. So, did I not get anything at all.

And Nd with most of the rewards for the tasks of this CD being ingredients, why are they being so stingy with the rewards lately?

PS: I got 46 doxies I needed to get to silver and then 74/100 doxies. Still haven’t gotten to Gold yet. Wouldn’t have been able to either because of the eggs. I’m so not a dawn hunter. 😓

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭
    #1925 February, 2020, 01:52 pm.

@LeFayeofAlbion I am also not a dawn person. I did spend the past week doxy hunting so I could prestige the page before the CD. It almost caused a diverse! He's fine with me out hunting werewolves all night but heaven forbid I get up early. He's actually an early riser.

My doxies are typically caught after a nights hunt. I see them and catch a couple then head home to bed.

• JeroenixJeroenix Posts: 63 ✭✭
    #2025 February, 2020, 02:23 pm.

Well, we had a blast. Due to the storms from the UK sweeping the Netherlands we couldn't walk around much, but managed to make the best of it using potions and detectors. Drove to lunch place next to a Fortress to complete the tasks (assignments which, with us, appeared straight away). It could be that we started the app a few minutes later than 11 am so we had an active to-do list.

Did notice not many ingredients appearing, but we were well-prepared and all cauldrons were hard at work. Prestiged, and made best efforts to especially get as many doxy's as possible, the sun's rising earlier and earlier each day. :)

Still have the feeling that somehow, the presence of other players could be better implemented (other than a glowing fortress, which means someone -was- there).