We’re currently investigating issues with the SOS Report appearing blank, Adventure Sync not working (Android), and in-app purchasing (iOS.) Visit this post for more details
Getting those rare ingredients ... — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Getting those rare ingredients ...

KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Potions #1 latest comment 20 December, 2020, 12:11 am.

So now that I'm a little more familiar with the game, and keeping my potion kettle constantly busy (or trying to), I have these questions on ingredients. Namely, where do you get some of these seemingly rare ingredients?

(NB: I know that some people have tons of these "rares" saved up from the past. I'm talking about the current drop rates as seen by new players who don't have the history of saving up.)

Plain Exstomulo, and healing, don't seem to have any "rare" ingredient. I can find all of them on the map easily enough.

Strong ... the Abraxan hair varies from dry to plentiful, but over two days of play I can find enough of it. So it becomes just a matter of stockpiling it enough to gather the other things over some playtime.

Invigoration: I play solo. I have no use for this. Naturally, all the ingredients are common and displace the other more useful ingredients :-).

Strong Invigoration: Sneezewort seeds are common enough; the plant itself I see at least once a day.

Now we get into the potions that are seriously wanted, and ... less available.

Brain Elixir: Leaping Toadstool is almost impossible to find. The seeds are reasonable enough, but learning how to harvest them, and how the greenhouse works .... PAIN. There is no greenhouse tutorial, and this is the first ingredient that really needs to be grown. However, after enough trial and error, I now have 19 of them after growing 2 9x in the greenhouse, and only gathering 14 instead of 18. So ... still something to learn here?

Dragon Claw: ** OMG WHY ?!? ***. I have not come across any of this except as rewards from activities, never on the map. Where/how do you get these? And should I really be surprised that there is a big "Pay 20 coins" button?

Trace Detection: Erumphent horns seemed hard to find for a while, but I actually have 4 of them right now. Bane berries, however ... you need *6* of them, and they are rare enough to find, and even rarer to find seeds for them (only found them in seed form once, did a 9x planting today, will harvest tomorrow). So where do you get them?

Potent: Oh Come On! I am rescuing unicorns now, and they never drop any hair. Seriously? Why can't I at least get unicorn hair when returning unicorns? I can understand it being too rare to find at random on the map, but where are we supposed to get this? 30 coins.

Dwadle Draught: Crab Shells. Please tell me, if you live by the coast, do they at least show up there? Is there any way for those of us in the middle of a dry area to find these? ARGH. 6 coins isn't that bad, I suppose.

Wit Sharpening: These ingredients are far too common. Although, I did just turn level 15, and have finally gotten far enough in the fortresses to run into elites. So far I can handle them just fine without this potion, so all of these ingredients are still classified as "common trash junk that fills inventory space".

EDIT: Ok, so, I had thought the invigoration potions were about waking a teammate up after they had been knocked out -- useless in single player, saving the 30 second recovery in team play. Turns out that's not what they do at all -- they grant focus points for tactical spells. So, I need to rethink them as "not junk", and pay attention to their ingredients. Sorry.

Post edited by Keybounce on

Comments

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #201 February, 2020, 05:21 am.

@Keybounce

Welcome to the forum. Help will always be given to those who ask.

Most portkeys wrackspurts can provide ingredients. Some ingredients like dragon claw, hermit crab shell, and unicorn hair can only be found in portkeys or specialty potion ingredient gifts-received from other players on your friend list.

Leaping toadstool harvest sometimes all the ingredients spawn at once. Other times the spawns pop later 5 to 10 minutes after. Hang out by the greenhouse your ingredients will spawn.

Also if i need an ingredient i find if i pick up its seeds and/or plant it i find that ingredients on the map more. I have no data to back that up just casual observation.

Invigorattion potion increase focus for spells.

Hope this helps.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #301 February, 2020, 09:43 am.

Hi @Keybounce ! Good to see you here.

Yeh with the invigoration draft unless your an auror who plays mainly solo in fortress like me, you will find it handy to gain focus for yourself & teammates.

As u say the long time players have stockpiled- which im sure you'll do as you go along now cos you know which ingredients are rare. So the dragonclaw and unicorn hair & hermit crabshells are from portkey rewards. Though as Owl says we now have the gifts so u can get lucky with unicorn hair & dragonclaw there.

The Baneberry I've found like you- and also with the bulbadox juice? Sometimes theres quite a few on map, other times I am struggling a few days they are nowhere to be seen! I don't think theres rhyme or reason to it, but if im really stuck I go on a country drive as im in the city & always come across some baneberry that way. Plus the drive is nice 😊

The way forward is definitely to increase your ingredients vault so you can stockpile & grab all you can of the rarer ones- never delete any dragonclaw or unicorn hair etc...I've about 90 something unicorn hair but I'm not deleting any!! No sir- not today!!!! Lol. Even tho that's a ridiculous amount & I'll surely get more before i could run out....but I'm not taking the risk lol- il up my vault again first!!

Happy Pottering!! 😀

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    #402 February, 2020, 03:43 am.

Ok, come on, seriously:

Look at this month's glowy login gifts.

Assuming you miss no more than 2 days in feb, that's 220 gold (about $2.50), 3 keys (about 250), a dark detector (110-120), 3 red spell books (??), and 1 leaping toadstool.

Is this the game's way of saying "This is deliberately rare and valuable"?

#502 February, 2020, 03:52 am.

So it's all about the portkeys at this point? And that means it's all about the silver keys?

Other than the 3 per month login bonus, how many of them do you earn from play?

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #602 February, 2020, 03:54 am.

@Keybounce I mean no offense with this, but I can honestly say I have not seen one positive post from you about this game since you started posting recently. Can I ask why you continue to play it? If it is a constant disappointment to you, why keep playing it? Just curious.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #702 February, 2020, 08:54 am.

Orrrrrrr you could ask your friends to send you the potion ingredient gifts....🤷🏻‍♀️ I was out of hermit crab shells for a long time so asked for dawdle gifts. Voila, the dawdle drought is over. I have over 30 silvers (not bought, and not bragging). I’m just very frugal with them. It’s possible to get these things by playing the game as a regular, slightly more than casual, player and walking about. Which is now even easier (growing pains aside) with AS.

• AuroraKadavraAuroraKadavra Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #802 February, 2020, 11:37 am.

Yep- tis true they can be hard to get, and one way around that- alongside the advice above, is to purchase them.

But with all the coins we gain daily from the game- how many other games let you gain enough virtual coin to actually be able to purchase ingredients when theres a drought, or to up your vault if its been a good month? I don't think many are as generous as this game!? You can progress far with some patience at first.

Ive uninstalled lots of games cos it's obvious that you literally can't progress without spending real money. That is most certainly not true of this game. It really is a case of like @Dogoutlaw says and being frugal, use your gold key wisely, now with adventure synch itl be even easier to get the portkeys open!

So in answer...yes! Seriously!

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #903 February, 2020, 07:22 pm.

There are lots of elements in the game that feel like major roadblocks, @Keybounce. At first glance, it appears that you’ll never find enough rare ingredients to keep up with your own demand, encounter enough foundables to complete a registry page, or earn enough scrolls/books to complete your skill tree. Soon after the game went live, there were posts from people who claimed to have "done the math", estimating that it'd take five years or more to complete the current lesson plan for their chosen profession. However, after playing for a bit, you begin to realize the game isn't very challenging at all and you can progress through the player, profession, and registry ranks at a reasonable pace.

Of course, reasonable is a relative term. If you're looking for a game you can beat by playing the heck out of it for a couple weeks, this isn't the one for you. This is more along the lines of those farming games that you can keep playing indefinitely until you're bored with it. Many people install the game and stop playing after a few weeks because they're looking for something that provides a complete story with closure that they can achieve within a short time. Others, like me (mostly older people, I think), aren't looking for a thrilling, immersive experience with a clearly defined endgame. I'm not a gamer. I prefer something more like solitaire that I can tap and swipe on absentmindedly to occupy my idle time in between other stuff I'm doing. I don't want to literally play solitaire though because that's just way too boring, you know? I think this game does a pretty good job satisfying my particular demographic, but it's definitely not for everyone.

#1005 February, 2020, 02:50 am.

@Keybounce I mean no offense with this, but I can honestly say I have not seen one positive post from you about this game since you started posting recently. Can I ask why you continue to play it? If it is a constant disappointment to you, why keep playing it? Just curious.

@MrSciGuy If I did not like a game, I would not play it, nor would I attempt to make suggestions for improvement.

This is one of those games that ... in all seriousness, looks like it could be a really good, decent game. It's already a good base game for what it does. Unlike Pokemon Go which really gave me no good reason to go out and walk to collect pokemon, this does give me a reason to go out and open portkeys, or to go battle fortresses and level up.

Why do I continue to play it? Good question. Early game has all those "flashing lights and sound", and very rapid progress beeping at you (and while I might not remember all the technical names and terms, I do understand the brain effect from that). But that's not sufficient -- Pokemon didn't do it, and neither did other games. Is it a factor? Maybe. Probably. But if I'm going to be walking around anyways, and this gives me something to have the phone open for?

What do I think of the "cash model" when I look at it? OMG, this game is pricy, that's what I think. Coins are roughly slightly more than a penny each, and decent stuff is multiple dollars at a time. Then there's all the things that are pure cash to buy. I keep looking at all this, and thinking that this game is designed to separate money from people with little to no self control (children/teenagers, mostly; remember that the HP books are wish fulfillment for teens more than anything else.)

As someone that looks at the price model, and sees a game that is too expensive to play if I have to toss money at it, the question becomes, what kind of game is it for free players?

A social game that is only played by cash customers dies.

If it is to be successful as a social game, it has to be OK with the rule of "90% of your players will spend $0.00.". That means that the 90% free players have to be able to progress.

Finding out these tricks such as "Rent a cauldron and do these non-obvious tricks, and this works because a 3 hour rental is actually, but not documented, much much longer than 3 hours if you play the timing game just perfectly" as a way to make your free coins last longer? Up until now, the only decently priced thing to purchase is a bag of runestones. Everything else is expensive enough to basically drain all your free coins away and barely be noticeable.

I've learned the hard way that these game companies rarely hire anyone that knows anything about economies. I've learned that game companies will effectively never do a real reform of their economy (Exceptions? EvE Online, which never removed the horrible abuses of the early days, but basically made most of them obsolete or else simply "on par" with new stuff that was better tuned. And of course, they are able to keep tuning as players play. But that is the exception, because that is a game that lives or dies more by it's economy than by it's combat.)

So if this game is all about "overpriced optional purchases", and that's never going to change, what's left for trying to improve the game? That's what I'm in this forum for.

Do you think that this game's existing gameplay is perfect and needs nothing to make it better? I do not.

Do you agree with me about what would make the gameplay better? Different question.

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1206 February, 2020, 06:42 pm.

As @Acumen was so kind to introduce to some of us earlier on in a different post, if you need to spend outside cash but a) don't want to and b) don't have any, try using Google rewards app.

Answer questions, they pay you bits at a time and you can use that money towards the game. Boom. Don't like the question, don't answer it.

Honestly, at level 38, I have yet to truly pay to play this game. I couldn't if I had to. Yes, maybe I progress slower than others because I have to wait for some ingredients, or coin, or runestones, but really? If you have to slam games out as fast as possible to feel better, then you might not really be appreciative of the terminology of games being fun and enjoyable. But hey, you do you and best of luck with it.

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 #1307 February, 2020, 05:55 am.

@Keybounce ... I am glad I am not the only one here who believes this game’s economics are all out of wh-ack and am dismayed by your observation that most games are like that (in which case, there is even less hope for improvement). With that said, I hope (a) you keep playing HPWU, and (b) you keep trying to improve HPWU by sharing your critiques and suggestions (tip: please tag @HPWULola and/or @HPWUTeam when you want/hope the game-runners will read what you want to communicate to them; BUT don’t be surprised if certain forum voices (the same ones), whom you don’t tag, decide to nay-say).

I, for one, am encouraged by your enthusiasm and energy for offering critiques and suggestions here in your posts. If many such posts might be viewed by others as not positive, I would observe that this might be due to there being sooooo many aspects of the game in dire need of fixing / improving and not enough resources available to the game runners to make those fixes and repairs (ie, only so many hours in the day and sometimes too many fires to put out).

• kiheikidkiheikid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1407 February, 2020, 08:28 am.

@Keybounce - to answer your question re where to get silver keys ... as a reward for leveling up; as a possible random reward in traces; often (but not always) as a reward from a brilliant event; sometimes as part of a complimentary gift package for a special event; often (but not always) as a daily treasure once a month; ... and of course as part of the coin grab in diagon alley

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1509 February, 2020, 12:45 am.

@Keybounce I try to spend about $10 a month on the game as the game and Niantic are a corporation and are making and improving this game to make money at the end of the day. The amount of joy it brings me daily is certainly worth more then $10 a month. But the overall generosity of the game as @Acumen pointed out is impressive. Monthly if you play everyday you get enough to upgrade your vault (all 3 areas) one time and still have some gold leftover. But I don’t feel like I have to spend money - I choose to in order to support the makers of the game to continue improving the game. Of the eight months I have been playing the amount of suggestions that Niantic has taken from the forum and truly listened to our suggestions is IMO amazing.

Wether you choose to spend money is your decision as an adult. But for the first three or four months I didn’t spend a dime. I am currently at level 39. Now my storage isn’t as huge as some people on here but the first month of playing I wasted stupid amounts of gold on stuff I would never buy now. Like spell energy. I learned from this forum. My spell energy is at 285 my potion storage is 165 and my ingredients are at 570. Just to give you a point of reference.

• LovelyMiliLovelyMili Posts: 1
    #1611 February, 2020, 08:19 pm.

The point of the forum is to gain help and offer different point of views. I don't understand asking someone why they play the game... it's combative. If you can help with the post request then help. If not, scroll past. It's not hard. :)

Anywho. I do not and will not spend real cash on the game. I find that if I pay attention to when events are coming I can usually stockpile. HOWEVER, I have not seen baneberry in the parts of NYC where I work /reside for over a month now. We have had some weather conditions which limited the game (as per the notice HPWU gave us). But this still seems off to me. So does anyone know if baneberry is usually found in certain areas? Should I try going to a more rural area? Any tips would be helpful!

• ITheRebelIITheRebelI Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited May 2020 #1727 May, 2020, 01:44 pm.

How do you "ask" friends for ingredient gifts in general or for specific charms during matches in fortresses?

-Ravenclaw Magizoologist, Chicago 0154 6131 8546

@Owlx @Dogoutlaw

• BellefleurtjahBellefleurtjah Posts: 31 ✭✭
    #1820 December, 2020, 12:11 am.

I have never been the kind of player who pays for a game. So I've played several games that do not change at all.

This is the best free game I've encountered. And when I don't have to pay to install a game, I wasn't surprised that things cost (in game) money. I'm level 45 in half a year and have never payed with real money, and never bought anything with gold than one healing potion with the adversaries. Maybe I'll spend something in the future (good idea @ClairabusGryff ).

I've always seen it as a sport not to spend something while most free games cannot be played without spending real money. But now I've seen that it can be played without, I'll consider it.