Darkest of Times Part 2 Brilliant Event Details

hpwulolahpwulola Posts: 736 admin
in Brilliant Events #1 latest comment 09 February, 2020, 11:22 pm.

Hey everyone! We have details about the Darkest of Times Brilliant Event Part 1 to share.

There will be six new Foundables on the Headmaster's Office Registry Page.

Here is where you can find them:

• Brilliant Encounters: Brilliant Pensive
  • Wizarding Challenges with Brilliant Runestones: Deluminator
  • Quest Rewards: Sherbet Lemon, Memory Vials, and Young Dumbledore
  • Portkey Rewards: Griffin Statue

As a special bonus, Barrufio's Brain Elixirs will last for 1 hour during this Brilliant Week!

Start clearing your Portkey vault to pick up Brilliant 3km Portmanteaus. I can't wait to see how many we all open now that Adventure Sync is coming!

There will be a Bonus Assignments that follow the main tasks, best of luck! Remember to pick up your complimentary store pack from Diagon Alley 🎁

Tagged:

Comments

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    #430 January, 2020, 04:15 am.

Am I correct in reading that as 15 restricted books, and only 1 normal red book?

• FireNightingaleFireNightingale Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    #531 January, 2020, 12:10 am.

So, what I'm hearing is, "Never use silver keys outside of events again." OK. Got it...

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #631 January, 2020, 04:36 pm.

@Keybounce including the bonus event we will get 4 red spell books. Being a magizoo, the first thing I count is how many reds we get as I need I think 140 more to complete my lesson plan. I have 60 green spell books in my vault so red are the ones that interest me the most. 👌😁

• AlexiaTarabottiAlexiaTarabotti Posts: 1 ✭✭
    #702 February, 2020, 02:44 am.

I would REALLY, REALLY love to see more oppirtu ities to pick up red books. Seriously, there are too many things in this game that sit there. In front of you that you can never achieve, because the game just doesn’t out it out there for you to chase. Like ever. And it just feels ridiculous that I haven’t been able to complete a single lesson plan, as much as I play. Because I have to earn 1940 points for a single level (and rising). For 2 books. And one lesson is now 17-25 books. Seriously dudes?

edited February 4 #804 February, 2020, 07:39 am.

I don't like to include the bonus event, because that's another *10 keys! *.

Now my own complaint: I didn't pay enough attention, and see that "unlock 5 port man twos" (sorry, that word is too hard to spell) is in part 2.

I've got 4 of them that are now 0.1km from opening up, so I'm going to have to complete phase 1 without moving ... with a GPS signal that drifts ... fun :-)

Oh yea -- Since discovering the difference between red books and restricted (green? That's green?) books, I switched to Professor. I'm already doing higher levels in challenges, and need fewer hard to get books to complete.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #904 February, 2020, 04:01 pm.

@Keybounce, do consider that there are Pros and Cons to each profession’s lesson plan. While Professor’s need the fewest Red Books (spell books), they also need the greatest number of green books (restricted section books).

Red books are obtained by increasing your Challenge Rank, which is accomplished by completing fortress challenges. It’s tedious, but the bright side is there’s no limit to how fast you can earn them.

Green books are obtained by completing all tasks during a Brilliant Event. It feels less tedious, but you’re definitely limited on how fast your can earn them. Brilliant events usually happen twice per month, but sometimes only once.

I’m a professor and I haven’t missed any events since the game went live in June. I finished all my Red Book requirements in late November, but I’ll still be waiting another month and a half or so to get all the Green Books I need to finish my lesson plan. I’m okay with that, and you might be too, but it’s just something to consider. I know Aurors and Magizoologists who finished gathering all the Green Books they needed a couple months ago, and have also finished all Red Book requirements, so their lesson plans are done.

#1004 February, 2020, 04:32 pm.

I certainly appreciate and respect that through different facets of this game that HPWU isn’t a game that can be completed in a 6-12 month timeframe as the game is meant to be a marathon not a sprint. With that being said our societal norm is instant gratification and patience amongst a lot of generations is something that is a rarity so naturally we all want to be able to prestige pages, find those rare fragments (think sorting hat, Dumbledore, Tom Riddle, Pickett, et al), progress our profession skill tree, etc. Basically make progress and compare our progress amongst other forum members. Basically be our best Wizarding self. I really do look forward to what the HPWU developers and team will be rolling out in the balance of 2020 including more lessons for our skill tree, new pages and foundables, and hopefully more achievements and SOS tasks.

#1104 February, 2020, 05:29 pm.

I'm using lots of apostrophes where I shouldn't be today, both in work emails and on the forum. I should have stay'ed in bed.

• CeruleanGirlCeruleanGirl Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    #1204 February, 2020, 11:54 pm.

I haven’t gotten any Dark Detectors as rewards in forever. I’m going to have to buy some to do the task. Has anyone else been getting them?

#1305 February, 2020, 12:12 am.

@CeruleanGirl over this past weekend it seemed like about every 10 or so confoundable I captured I got either a gold coin, a silver key, a DD, or a strong exstimulo potion. I believe I got two DD over this past weekend. So for me it comes in waves. The good news is in less then 24 hours we will have DRAGONS AND DRAGON EGGS. The portkeys will only be 1km to walk off so you really shouldn’t need to use many silver keys. IMO.

#1405 February, 2020, 12:20 am.

@ClairabusGryff I’m okay on keys. I’ve gotten keys and coins, I just haven’t gotten Dark Detectors in a while. I am going to have to buy them for the task in the third set.

#1505 February, 2020, 01:02 am.

Oh right...duh so sorry for not reading it all the way through. So unless you just start going after any confoundable on the map and hope and pray you get a free DD you may have to but a couple. I wish I could gift you a couple as I haveplenty of them.

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1605 February, 2020, 01:54 am.

I am with @CeruleanGirl - DDs and keys as gifts have been really sparse of late.

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1705 February, 2020, 07:54 pm.

@CeruleanGirl I was in same boat, had zero DD's. Based on the stats I've been keeping, they have the lowest drop rate of the four random drop items. I was out catching everything starting late last week when I saw that task. i finally got one with a Bella portrait. And thankfully I was able to level up this weekend to get my second. I was a bit disappointed they didn't reward one for a task like they usually do. So lesson learned, I'm going to hoard DD's from now on and save them for tasks... I really hope you get some random drops soon. But if time is an issue (esp with those 10 portmanteaus in the bonus assignment), do what you gotta do. Good luck!

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1806 February, 2020, 06:46 pm.

Have been seeing keys, but not the DDs... 3/4 nearly stopped me until, like @Dogoutlaw I had a lucky drop and a level up. Since that task, I've picked up two. Go figure. 🙄

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1906 February, 2020, 08:13 pm.

@Bormacska same! LOL And then the gift today was one, right?

• BormacskaBormacska Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2006 February, 2020, 08:40 pm.

it actually helped!!

#2107 February, 2020, 02:48 am.

> Red books are obtained by increasing your Challenge Rank, which is accomplished by completing fortress challenges. It’s tedious, but the bright side is there’s no limit to how fast you can earn them.

Green books are obtained by completing all tasks during a Brilliant Event. It feels less tedious, but you’re definitely limited on how fast your can earn them. Brilliant events usually happen twice per month, but sometimes only once.

Ok, I've read a LOT of posts that complained about how the red books became slower and slower to obtain, to the point that your final red books would be super expensive, and the green book requirement was faster.

Is this a case of "dated"?

My experience as an auror was "Glass ****". I might do a lot of damage, but I'd die a lot, and either have a lot of timeouts or a lot of healing potions.

My experience as a professor is "Weaker offense, but better defense". I don't need to worry about healing potions, and only need to take 1 or 2 naps in a fortress red chamber.

#2207 February, 2020, 07:34 pm.

I ended up buying the Dark Detectors. I got the one in the daily gift but since I needed two I had to buy them. I don’t think I’ve gotten one from a trace in weeks.

#2309 February, 2020, 03:52 pm.

Your observations are pretty much spot on, @Keybounce. There's definitely plenty of chatter about red books being hard to come by, and it's all true. Unlike the Exploration Family registries, which max out at 65* and never go above 100 family XP required to level up, the Challenge registry is a whole different animal. The Challenge XP required to level up keeps increasing and doesn't max out until you hit level 150.

However, while earning red books becomes more difficult as you go, it still remains true that there's no real limit on how fast you can earn them. Someone with a lot of time on their hands who's willing to sit through a dozen or more high-level fortress challenges every day will finish their red book requirements fairly quickly. There is no way to speed up the process of earning green books. Generally, you only come by those during Brilliant events, and you're only awarded a set amount each time (usually 15).

I finished my red book requirements in November, and I won't be finished with green books until the end of this month. That's assuming we'll get the usual number of green books during each half of the Lost Love Brilliant event, because I need 28. They switched it up once by awarding only 14 green books during a Brilliant event because a random green book was awarded prior to that during a holiday event. Halloween, I think? I'm not sure. Anyway, people lost their minds. I can hardly blame them. It was a weird decision.

Anyway, as you've noticed, each profession definitely has its strengths and weaknesses, but choosing one won't give you any significant advantage versus choosing another. The only big difference is book and scroll requirements. Choose whichever one you like, and you probably won't have any serious regrets about it once you max out your core skills. Still, here's some data to help with that decision...

PROFESSOR

Spell Books: 320

Scrolls: 2,325

Restricted Section Books: 223

AUROR

Spell Books: 430

Scrolls: 2,352

Restricted Section Books: 115

MAGIZOOLOGIST

Spell Books: 465

Scrolls: 2,495

Restricted Section Books: 115

#2409 February, 2020, 11:22 pm.

Great explanation @Acumen !! I personally didn’t see that information when I selected my profession. I chose magizoo because I am a lover of all animals and would have been a veterinarian had I not been and still am allergic to every animal on the planet. But the red books are hard to grind for some days if I am being honest. And the spell energy is such a drain too. I don’t think I would change my profession though even if I would have had this information available to me.