Note about the Brilliant Event: Brilliant Bogrod the Goblin can be placed by tapping the area under his elbow. The Brilliant Shopping List can be placed by tapping the bottom left corner. Click here for images.
Hogwarts House Cup in WU — Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Community Forum

Hogwarts House Cup in WU

RazorgirlRazorgirl Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
in Feature Requests #1 latest comment 11 April, 2020, 06:36 am.

I was discussing with my local players how our House has no impact on gameplay, and how we wished it meant more.

It would be great if we could have a new feature that allows us to have participation in the game on a certain day (eg. Community Days) count towards our House totals in a Hogwarts House Cup.

Perhaps there is a winner for each Community Day, but regardless of who wins all participation contributes towards the yearly total with the overall winner being announced at the end of the year (just like in the books/films).

Participation points could be awarded for all sorts of gameplay interaction, and perhaps they would change for each Comms Day depending on what is being featured/focused on each time.

For Example...

• If a Community Day focus on Hogwarts School traces, then all Hogwarts School Family XP gained that day gives points

• Perhaps a bonus points are awarded if a player gains a new Rank in the Registry during the Community Day

• Portkeys Unlocked give points

• Maybe Potions brewed give points

• Maybe Fortress Challenge XP gives points (depending on what the Community Day is focusing on)

• Perhaps using Dark Detectors give points

• Perhaps planting in Greenhouses give points

• Perhaps contributing to Greenhouses give points

It would be cool if members of said House got a token reward pack, but since we can change which house we're in I'm not sure how that would work unless they locked down Houses and only allowed people to change if they spend Gold Coins to do so (like changing teams in PoGo).

It would be nice if people from said house got a small boost akin to the Free Gifts given out on Comms Days. Ie, nice to get but no biggie if you didn't qualify - so no Gold and Red nor Green Books. As much as I'd like to get them, I this should be about bragging rights and House Pride, not getting loot.

Eg. Family XP, a House Cup Foundable fragment, a sticker and/or Badge we can put on our Ministry ID, a Brain Elixir, some Unicorn Hair, and some Spell Energy.

Maybe the points should be given a levelling effect so that the winners are based on a "per capita" calculation rather than raw points. So if thee are less (for example) Raven Claw players world-wide, those players aren't at a disadvantage. [Cue Griffindore complaints about people trying to nerf their population advantage. Assuming that they have one].

Comments

• WerewolfChaserWerewolfChaser Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    #228 January, 2020, 05:42 am.

Hmmm, gotta watch those Slytherin players @Razorgirl !

• ClairabusGryffClairabusGryff Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #328 January, 2020, 10:06 pm.

This is a fantastic and fabulous idea! I would like if they did it monthly and the teams got a special badge or achievement or even sticker. That way it follows the storyline we love so much!! Thank you for writing it out.

• MrSciGuyMrSciGuy Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #530 January, 2020, 08:25 pm.

I love the idea of having a house cup competition!

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31 #631 January, 2020, 01:08 pm.

@Razorgirl I've been thinking about this for sometime and I'm still uncertain so I'll try to put my thoughts into words:

To me, the game avatars are adults - after graduating School. Hence the choice of "House" is a way of customizing backstory; without restricting gameplay as the association to that house is a thing of the past. Therefore a "House Cup" seems a little odd to me - aside from the fact that you can switch your House at a moment's notice.

At the same time I love the idea of "friendly competition" and "rewarding effort" - so I've been trying to find an alternative:

All the people that we (or our avatars) have worked with through "Statute of Secrecy"-Tasks are associated with different resorts of the Ministry Of Magic. Therefore setting it up as something connected to the MoM, like "Job Bonuses", would be more appropriate.

Maybe "Employee of the Month" would give you a bonus related to the field (or registry category) that you excelled in?

Maybe one resort over-achieving their goals would result in permanent bonuses related to that resort?

• Magpie31Magpie31 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #701 February, 2020, 04:07 am.

@Lucoire I agree with your assessment of our avatars bring post-Hogwarts age (I am loathe to use graduates, as the UK only uses graduation for university level, not school). However, it is not unheard of to have community or alumni events where people still complete for their former houses or colleges. I know the previous school I worked at had this, and we had parents, teachers and former students competing for points for their houses.

• RazorgirlRazorgirl Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2 #802 February, 2020, 12:29 am.

Thanks @Magpie31!

There are so many examples in the real world of adult Alumni continuing with School pride long after graduating High School, College, University etc. I don’t think having an event like this would break the theme of the game, and could be lots of fun.

Maybe this could be a manifestation of the Calamity? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• KeybounceKeybounce Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    #902 February, 2020, 03:29 am.

There are so many examples in the real world of adult Alumni continuing with School pride long after graduating High School, College, University etc. I don’t think having an event like this would break the theme of the game, and could be lots of fun.

You sound like a USC type. We UCLA's are better, and we'll prove it at the next game. Why, we will have (... flip coin ...) the homefield advantage!

(side note: UCLA and USC are cross-town rivals, that actually share the same "home" football field. When they play each other, last time I checked they flipped a coin to see which would be considered "home" or "visitor" for that game.

And yes, I'm UCLA.)

#1002 February, 2020, 03:50 am.

Well that was presumptive.

Anyway, let’s get back to the topic at hand. I still like the idea of a house cup competition.

• AcumenAcumen Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1102 February, 2020, 04:22 pm.

Yeah, that was a weird flex, awkwardly wedged into the conversation entirely out of context. But hey, right on. Go Bruins, I guess? I wish you a bright future, UCLA dude.

#1203 February, 2020, 01:27 am.

Hi @Keybounce it seems like you are fairly new to the forum. Are you a relatively new player of HPWU? the majority of the people started on this forum just like you ...trying to figure out the mechanics of the game and meeting some new fantastic people. I am happy to help you with anything within my knowledge base in the game. So let me know if I may assist you.

And just a friendly word of advice we try to stay on topic within the individual threads as to keep things moving smoothly. The main reason for this is the wonderful HPWU developers have listened to a lot of the feedback we provide in this forum and have rolled out a quite a bit of it. Or at least we like to think some of the ideas came from us. 😁😁😁

I fully support the House Cup idea and look forward to seeing if this is something that the HPWU team is able to rollout or implement in the future. Thank you for the fantastic idea @Razorgirl !!! Keep those ideas coming!!!

#1303 February, 2020, 04:41 am.

Hi @Keybounce it seems like you are fairly new to the forum. Are you a relatively new player of HPWU? the majority of the people started on this forum just like you ...trying to figure out the mechanics of the game and meeting some new fantastic people. I am happy to help you with anything within my knowledge base in the game. So let me know if I may assist you.

About 2 weeks (started just before the last community day, have completed part 1 of the current big event.).

And I'm sorry if that was off-topic, it was just intended to be an example of the stated behavior (maintaining fidelity to a school long after attending).

• LucoireLucoire Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1403 February, 2020, 08:55 am.

There are so many examples in the real world of adult Alumni continuing with School pride long after graduating High School, College, University etc. 

I'm not aware of anything like that here in Germany. But then again, maybe I've just opted-out of that without noticing.

That being said, what do you think of making a "friendly competition" related to the Ministry of Magic and it's different resorts?

#1503 February, 2020, 09:07 am.

@Lucoire You are probably right about it being a cultural thing. Thinking back to my time working at a Gymnasium in Germany (a type of school, for those not familiar with the German system), there was nothing similar. Yet a grammar school, high school, independent or public school (a public school in the UK is a type of private school, just to make things complicated!) may well have this ethos. The prestigious public schools such as Eton and Harrow certainly have alumni links with their houses.

#1603 February, 2020, 03:26 pm.

@Keybounce thank you for the response. Wow so you are really new to the game - two weeks I was still so confused at that point and didn’t find this forum until about a month or so after starting to play. So please feel free to ask me any questions as I am happy to help you and really the majority of the forum veterans here are extremely helpful. But most importantly have fun and enjoy!! This game has brought so much light and joy into my life.

What level are you currently at and what do you feel like you are struggling the most with right now?

#1704 February, 2020, 07:53 am.

Current level: 16.

Struggling with: Keys. Managing portmanteaus. Not unlocking them before the big event tomorrow :-).

Getting dragon claws / unicorn hair / *** BANE BLEEPING BERRIES ***.

Growing things in greenhouses with ** bleeping 7 hours growth cycles ***

The horrible inventory management / what are these things used for / how many of what do I have vs need / limited carrying space, but spend lots of coins for a tiny bit more bleeping bleep.

Having ingredients / seeds show up on the map, find out that I don't have room, and by the time I've figured out what I can throw away to make room, they are gone.

Being unable to tell what seed packet I'm looking at without trying to pick it up first, which requires me to throw away stuff, before I find that what I can pick up is something I'm just going to throw away anyways.

There's only two or three pairs of confusion for the potion ingredients at this point, and 3 or 4 "I don't recognize them on sight yet" items. But seed packets are impossible.

I am finding this game a lot more entertaining than PoGo was. Still ...

Well, for this game, I will drive somewhere and play. Wasn't willing to do that for PG, and can't really play from home.

#1804 February, 2020, 02:30 pm.

@Keybounce, it’s a lot easier to get a general idea of the ingredients you most need by looking at the recipes tab at the lower right-hand portion of the potions screen. (Tap your suitcase, then tap potions, then recipes.)

• DogoutlawDogoutlaw Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1904 February, 2020, 04:36 pm.

At some point you will be able to recognize stuff, even the seed packets. And you can always zoom in to see better. Sometimes the packet is placed so you can’t see very well, but usually you can. And defo manage ingredients through potions. They actually made a huge improvement a while back so we could do that. You can delete ingredients there (following Acumen’s advice), by tapping the ingredient in question and managing. It’s so much easier than through your ingredient vault.

As for seeds, keep one or two of what you want, and then cap storage with water. You won’t need to pick up anything until you plant something. Once you get used to the game more, you can refine to your playing style. For example, the only thing I grow in GH’s now are toadstools (for obvious reasons) and wormwood (fast growing time to work on planting seeds achievement). I don’t keep any other seeds.

And now that we’ve completely hijacked this thread and gone off topic, if you have more “New player” questions, could you go to that section and make a post? Everyone will be able to see it there, and you can continue to ask questions and get answers.

#2004 February, 2020, 04:41 pm.

@Keybounce when I started playing when the game was released I felt exactly how you are feeling but the one advantage you have that I didn’t is that I didn’t really engage with this forum until about a month after I started playing the game so I was really in the dark. For the first three or so months of finding this forum all I did was read everything and then I started to actually really engage in the forum and started asking questions. So my point is that you are already ahead of the curveball asking amazingly well though out questions and will be able to progress quickly. The items and ingredients and vault space you have will all grow with time unless you want to spend $40-50 dollars to just really make all levels of your vault space larger and as time passes and you will become more familiar with what is what on the map it will become easier for you. So my advice is be patient with yourself as you are doing fantastic already IMO.

Also for me I come across baneberry on the map at least half a dozen times a day. The only seed packets I ever pick up and in turn plant are leaping toadstools. 🍄🍄

Bottom lone is you are doing great and keep it up. You will get there!!

#2109 February, 2020, 02:09 pm.

I can't help but be somewhat amused at people chastising @Keybounce for making a comment that was thought to be "off topic" and then encouraging a discourse that is off topic. 🤣

FWIW, I saw Keybounce's comment as being a perfect example of an Alumni showing loyalty and pride to their School association.

I don't think it's solely an American thing, but more of a private school thing. 🤷🏻‍♀️

#2209 February, 2020, 04:26 pm.

Likewise, I find it amusing when someone begins a comment with “I find it amusing...”

We all have our own things that make us laugh. Apparently we all have our own individual understanding of the definition of chastise, too.

🤷🏻‍♂️

edited February 9 #2309 February, 2020, 05:06 pm.

You do make a good point though, @Razorgirl, and I did completely fail to contribute anything relevant to the original topic, so who am I to talk trash? A total hypocrite, that’s who.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s a brilliant idea. I understand the point several people have made over time about the game being more about professional lives in the Wizarding world, and less about school. While that may be true, I still think a House Cup would be a real treat.

#2409 February, 2020, 07:42 pm.

Yeah I mean let’s be honest here, this game is about the world of Harry Potter, which includes in a major way Hogwarts. After all, we chose houses when we started the game. Adult lives or not, it’d be cool to have some sort of a house competition, just like in the books.

#2509 February, 2020, 10:54 pm.

@Razorgirl I did not in any way shape or form mean to come across as “chastising” that wasn’t my intent at all. And after he explained what he meant by his comment I totally understood where he was coming from with the explanation of the schools etc. If you were referring to my comment...

But the original idea of a House Cup in HPWU is an awesome idea I think and am all for it. Totally!!

#2607 April, 2020, 08:36 am.

Came across a store in Melbourne that sells (exclusively) Harry Potter themed items. When I was there, I saw a couple of old fellas arguing over House scarves like they were Football teams. They didn't even go to school at Hogwarts and they were still willing to show loyalty to “their” House. 😍🤣

• Dock01Dock01 Posts: 45 ✭✭
    #2707 April, 2020, 08:51 am.

This should have been in the game day 1 i mean its Littelary the biggest deal on the potter universe. Especially on hogwards...

#2807 April, 2020, 08:59 am.

@Dock01 Your enthusiasm about everything is infectious! I am curious, whereabouts in the world are you? I know you have mentioned a few times that not many people near you play much, so I am curious.

(35 words)

#2907 April, 2020, 09:30 am.

@MAGPIE31 i take that compliment to hearth thank you so much MAGPIE31 ! :) can we be friends on the game !???

edited April 7 #3007 April, 2020, 09:33 am.

MAGPIE31 i am in jakarta indonesia our pandamic is raising to 2k from 1k so everyone have a strict rule on self quarantine ! Yes i never meet anyone play this game AT ALL !!! ;-) and i live in a pretty rural area so inns and greenhouse is pretty scarce! But i managed to max all of skills expect two more !!! Power and critical power !

i try to search on fb to find people on my town To play with but they live wayyy to far away from me !!! And our traffic is a nightmare !!! 24/7 so i cant ! Get to them !

and i would Like to know more about you too !! Since this is our only way of communication...

#3107 April, 2020, 10:01 am.

@Dock01 I think @Keybounce is also from Indonesia, but I can't remember where.

I haven't really got space for new friends at the moment, I'm afraid - I keep a very small list so that I can give gifts and interact regularly, and that is already difficult at the moment. I am really sorry, but it makes me so sad and guilty when I can't keep up with the friends in game.

As for me, I am half English, half German, but I live in Thailand, teaching international students. I've lived here almost 5 years and I love SE Asia, but the language barrier can be challenging!

(107 words)